• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I'm honestly glad all the fan theories amounted to nothing. This was Wanda and Vision's story, and I think they nailed it.

I'm glad they iced Agatha instead of killing her. She could be the new Loki if handled right.

Maybe the Fantastic Four need an annoying baby sitter

But you're right even the stuff they definitely did set up is better told in another story

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect ending to a perfect show. Well, maybe not perfect, but the highs are so high that I can't help but think it's top tier MCU content. Bring on Falcon and the Winter Soldier!

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Wait, if Fietro was nobody how did he have superspeed? Can Agatha just give people superpowers?
Unexplained, but the extent of his super speed wasn't really explored. clearly he had some version of it but Wanda bodied him easily, and ultimately Monica did too once she threw him to the ground, so it likely has limits and was somewhat for show.

I'm guessing she could only do something on that level to one person, while Wanda created two from the ether with powers.

Its Pietro/Quicksilver from the X-Men Universe, hidden in Westview via some form of witness protection. The necklace just gave Agnes control over him. Other people here just don't want to accept it 😁

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
My only major complaint was how cartoonishly evil the villains were. Agatha going from entertaining to "lol I'm a CHAOS witch, (dat means Im more evil than other witches)" after the reveal so that we had a super villain to fight kind of distracted me. I feel like I didn't actually understand what she wanted, other than to... just be a super powerful super villain? I guess? It sucks, because she was such an entertaining character otherwise. Also there was that line from the SWORD director about how he "couldn't bring his loved one back to life" but it kinda felt like they were trying to force a sympathy angle on him at the last minute before he didn't speak again and just started shooting at children. He was so inexplicably bloodthirsty, but they only kind of hinted at why. I also wish Monica didn't feel so sidelined by the end since she was clearly meant to be a parallel to Wanda, going off that ending exchange, and it felt like we were missing something there.

But man, other than that this was a damn interesting show. The high concept sitcom stuff, showing more of the fallout of Infinity War/Endgame, the further exploration of the ethics of what these superheroes are doing, the full on HORROR elements. Seriously, that scene where Vision snaps his coworker out of the illusion was creeping me out. That's what I was hoping for from this show, and I kind of went in expecting the ending to feel more like standard MCU, so I guess it just didn't bother me too much. Really I just think they needed a few more episodes to make that ending more understandable, because the last two felt pretty rushed and I left with more questions than I felt like I should. I understand limiting it to a small episode order, especially since these shows are confirmed to be homework for the movies going feared, but considering the episodes were sitcom length I feel like one or two more would have helped tie things up a little cleaner without making it TOO long.

Side note, I liked that Disney is doing weekly premieres for their shows but thanks to laziness, I decided to binge the whole thing in a day and honestly, I think I would have been a lot more disappointed if I was keeping up with it week by week. The show feels a little more designed to be taken in all at once, and if I was speculating for weeks about what happened next, I'd probably feel a little jipped. Makes me wonder if I should do the same for Falcon & the Winter Soldier, tbh.

Sep 7, 2018
Unexplained, but the extent of his super speed wasn't really explored. I'm guessing she could only do something on that level to one person, while Wanda created two from the ether with powers.
I gave Wanda a pass. They were her children so I thought they were just mutants, but all Agatha said is that she possessed him.

This last episode like I said just felt so rushed and Marvel knew what they were doing when they cast Evan Peters in that role. They even had the whole clapping and cheering the celebrity guest appearance thing that sitcoms do. It was just weird to make him as a nobody and then if you had missed out on the previous end credit scenes Vision just popping up would've made you go like huh and I think my brother didn't see the one before that with Monica so I know if he watched it today he would've been like how did she get there?

In the past they usually would have transition scenes to follow up with those to pace things better. Also, it was just weird how Jimmy Woo didn't really react to Hayward still having Vision's body and sending it into the hex. Him, Darcy, or Monica didn't know that Vision's body was never taken. They only found out he was lying about when the whole thing started. It went straight into the conflict and resolution really too fast.

Wanda's new costume is dope though.

I never one of those people who have theories and shit, but I was dissapointed that Monica didn't really use her powers and that Strange didn't show up at all, but honestly given how quickly events were happening his arrival would've been too much going on in a short amount of time. As someone who has written something rushed I definitely see it here. Every other episode was paced just fine to me, but this one was badly paced.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Agatha going from entertaining to "lol I'm a CHAOS witch, (dat means Im more evil than other witches)" after the reveal so that we had a super villain to fight kind of distracted me. I feel like I didn't actually understand what she wanted, other than to... just be a super powerful super villain? I guess? It sucks, because she was such an entertaining character otherwise.

Not exactly, Agatha had studied the Darkhold for years and once she realized Wanda is the Scarlet Witch foretold in the book, she didn't think Wanda was skilled or knowledgable enough to use Chaos magic without unleashing the dark evil behind it.

Agatha wants more power for selfish reasons for sure but she apparently genuinely doesn't want to bring about a demonic apocalypse so was trying to take that power away from Wanda.

Sep 7, 2018
No Agatha's fate is separate from the Hex, she's still stuck as Agnes
But who's nosy neighbor is she going to be? She said it while the Hex was still up and Agnes responded to her like she is Wanda's neighbor, and Wanda is not her neighbor anymore since she dipped and she's on a whole other continent. Even if it was separate is her spell distance limitless? They only demonstrated it to be a few miles long.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed it, even if the bombastic superhero battles were my least favorite element. The character farewell were pitch-perfect. The resolution was definitely rushed but that seems Marvel setting up Doc Strange 2 and its ilk.

So while not nearly my favorite episode, I mostly found it tied up the big threads, rushed through some things, and makes me mostly miss more Wanda and Vision conversations.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, if Fietro was nobody how did he have superspeed? Can Agatha just give people superpowers?
If Wanda can create a tangible husband out of a memory and two children and they all have super powers while also creating a complex magical energy field that gives another person super powers after multiple rounds of exposure, Agatha can come up with a spell to give someone super speed.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I mean I dont believe Agnes gave a dude named BOENER (obviously not his real name, and something Pietro from the XCU would have chosen for himself.) a necklace that gave this guy the EXACT smarmy personality of Pietro from the XCU, along with his EXACT mutant abilities, along with Wanda being confused as to his identity yet still obviously and visually feeling a connection to this guy the whole episode.

but sure ok, it's just some rando who was given all of that by a necklace. 👌

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly glad all the fan theories amounted to nothing. This was Wanda and Vision's story, and I think they nailed it.

I'm glad they iced Agatha instead of killing her. She could be the new Loki if handled right.
The MCU needs to get away from killing villains anyway. Vulture, Agatha, and Baron Zemo are hopefully signs of them avoiding that shit from now on.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But who's nosy neighbor is she going to be? She said it while the Hex was still up and Agnes responded to her like she is Wanda's neighbor, and Wanda is not her neighbor anymore since she dipped and she's on a whole other continent. Even if it was separate is her spell distance limitless? They only demonstrated it to be a few miles long.

It was a separate spell from the Hex stuff, and Wanda is in full Scarlet Witch mode plus the added power from Agatha, it's believable enough that she can affect one person permanently imo. I wouldn't overthink it, not to mention that if the spell went away it would contradict the setup of Wanda knowing where to find her if she ever needs to speak to her

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The show doesn't tell us specifically all the bad things that Agatha has done but it's heavily implied, to the point that "what bad things did she even do?" shouldn't be a question. Agatha was a dark/evil Witch almost from her very beginnings. To the point where her original Coven, that included her own Mother, felt they *HAD* to take her power. It's straight up said that she was studying forbidden magic and then shown when she absorbs and kills her entire coven. It's also displayed in her attempted manipulation of her Coven before killing them... which is mirrored in her manipulation of Wanda in the present day of the show. Agatha admits that "taking power from those that don't 'deserve' it" is her "thing" and visually shown multiple times that in doing that, she kills people. If all that wasn't enough, she straight up murders a puppy in the show. Agatha is not grey. She's straight up bad.

I also didn't read the scene between Monica and Wanda as Monica forgiving OR vindicating Wanda but instead showing Wanda that she understands, to an extent, what led Wanda to make the choices she did. Keep in mind Monica is still grieving her Mother's death that she didn't get to experience because she was snapped. The events of this show take place less than a month after Monica's return and sudden discovery that her mother has been dead for years. It's not forgiveness (and Monica isn't in the position to forgive in the first place). It's not vindication because Monica never says that what Wanda did was right.

There's an argument to be made that Monica should've tried to apprehend Wanda, I guess. But I struggle to think of how she would do that, under what authority, and what they would do with Wanda that would resemble justice. Is there a prison that would be capable of holding Wanda? Seems like Wanda herself would have to want to face some sort of punishment as atonement for that to be possible. I'm not certain that would fit with how she's been characterized thus far.

This reads like an exercise in bias.

You say it's implied that Agatha is evil because her coven tried to take her powers. But then we see that same coven would have done the same thing to Wanda.

You say she's evil because she practiced forbidden magic. But so did The Ancient One, Doctor Strange, and now Wanda. Are they evil too.

You say that Agatha is evil for taking power from 'those who don't deserve it' but you were cool with assuming Agatha's coven was justified in trying to take Agatha's powers. You don't even know the nature of Agatha's "crime" back then. You do know the nature of Wanda's crime though- she held 3000 people hostage and tortured them. Is that not an evil crime worth having powers taken?

The show is written with Wanda as a protagonist and Agatha as an antagonist. That's why you're running with these "implications" But aside from killing a dog (that she assumed Wanda would revive), Agatha didn't do anything evil.

If I told you about a story about the time Rogue encounter a mutant who was in the process of kidnapping 3000 people and she tried to absorb his power, you wouldn't assume Rogue is evil.

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else think the episode was just not very appealing in the visual department? I couldn't read some scenes properly and a lot of the zipping around was not doing it for me.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Not exactly, Agatha had studied the Darkhold for years and once she realized Wanda is the Scarlet Witch foretold in the book, she didn't think Wanda was skilled or knowledgable enough to use Chaos magic without unleashing the dark evil behind it.

Agatha wants more power for selfish reasons for sure but she apparently genuinely doesn't want to bring about a demonic apocalypse so was trying to take that power away from Wanda.

I guess I should change my complaint to "it didn't seem like they really explained what it meant that Wanda was the Scarlett Witch" then. Maybe I missed something, I did just watch all of this in a day, but my takeaway was that since Wanda was the prophecized Scarlett Witch, it just meant she was a super duper powerful witch who was beholden to no coven (and that other witches didn't like that), and Agatha wanted her power for... reasons.

Regardless, if preventing an apocalypse WAS what Agatha wanted, I feel like the hammy evil villain angle still probably wasn't the best way to approach it.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

The hex had limit, while this is just a simple spell made by what is basically the Witch Godess
And she basically made her a normal citizen with her noisy neighbor persona, that's it. Nobody knows her identity except for Wanda so nobody will search for her. She's just going to "live her life" until Wanda has need of her.
I'm confused that people don't seem to understand this

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yep. Honestly thought she was going to turn herself into custody/arrest under SWORD when she walked back to the town square. Would have made more sense than her sipping hot chocolate by the lake. She could have studied the Darkhold in a prison cell.

I think the point is, as long as she didn't have full control of her power, her being near people is not a good idea. So her solution is to self exile while she tried to learn and control her power via The Darkhold. Now we can argue that even reading that Darkhold is a really bad idea, but we'll see what happen in future MCU story.

Also considering her display of power. I really doubt any governmemt will be okay to put her in prison and let her read Darkhold from inside prison

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I guess I should change my complaint to "it didn't seem like they really explained what it meant that Wanda was the Scarlett Witch" then. Maybe I missed something, I did just watch all of this in a day, but my takeaway was that since Wanda was the prophecized Scarlett Witch, it just meant she was a super duper powerful witch who was beholden to no coven (and that other witches didn't like that), and Agatha wanted her power for... reasons.

Regardless, if preventing an apocalypse WAS what Agatha wanted, I feel like the hammy evil villain angle still probably wasn't the best way to approach it.

They call her the Harbinger of Chaos, if you wanna read into what that means regarding her comics history it's out there, but it'll be explained in time. this was just her origin story basically.

I wanted more but they definitely held back a bit on the full explanations of Wanda's magic and its history but that's definitely gonna be explored in future MCU installments based on what they did reveal

It's an important book!

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Well said. In the end Agatha seeme to serve two purposes- 1) give a little bit of exposition on Wanda's with powers 2) provide a conventional villain so we can have a bog standard super villain fight at the end with them hurling different colored blasts at each other. She really wasn't necessary to the core story at all.

Agatha was the one who convinced Wanda to release the hostesses... it's kind of a big deal

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
I'm kind of let down at the final episode after all the build up. I also feel like it's little of outrageous that after all this, not one other Avenger - specifically Doctor Strange - got a wiff of what was going down at Westview and offer assistance.
I just wanted my set up to Strange 2 and all we got was a reference to Wanda "unleashing" something :(

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
The costume is FANTASTIC.

The exchange between vision and Wanda at the end gutted me. Just absolutely gutted kenn

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I loooooved the finale but I just wish the teases were a little more concrete. Like seeing Thanos for the first time or something. Hopefully FAWS makes the next step more clear before Loki

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I can get on board with the Ralph is the witness protection guy and he's from X-menverse theory. That would be a very good long con. I hope it comes true.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Ehhhh, I think the other explanation of BOENER being from the X-Men U, fits better.
Agatha is THAT powerful to give a person super speed of that magnitude And mind control him with a little beaded necklace? Can she give someone an armband and turn them into Spiderman? She should have created more artifacts like that for herself. She could have messed Wanda up with super speed.
Super speed didn't work on wanda (and billy) we've shown that Wanda can grab Tommy super speed easily during haloween episode

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Pretty good finale.

People hyped themselves up too much based on theories so I'm not surprised that people are disappointed, but it was fine. I called Fietro being a nobody from the beginning, so the vindication is nice.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Pretty good finale.

People hyped themselves up too much based on theories so I'm not surprised that people are disappointed, but it was fine. I called Fietro being a nobody from the beginning, so the vindication is nice.
My disappointment has nothing to do with theories. It's that a finale that should have a lot of thematic weight by externalizing Wanda's conflict and trauma turns into a battle about "MY PURPLE LASERS ARE BETTER THAN YOUR RED LASERS!" All while reducing Wanda's expression through the reality around her throughout this show being a bunch of nothing by the end.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My disappointment has nothing to do with theories. It's that a finale that should have a lot of thematic weight by externalizing Wanda's conflict and trauma turns into a battle about "MY PURPLE LASERS ARE BETTER THAN YOUR RED LASERS!"

Eh, that's not all that happened tho. Even in the fight itself Agatha forced Wanda to really confront what she was putting them through. And while there was a customary flashy fight, it ended with her having to quietly say goodbye to her family.

On the bright side, overall Wandavision was still much better than Raya and the Last Fucking Dragon

Ah what, I was looking forward to this, hope I like it whenever I get around to watching it

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Eh, that's not all that happened tho. Even in the fight itself Agatha forced Wanda to really confront what she was putting them through. And while there was a customary flashy fight, it ended with her having to quietly say goodbye to her family.

Ah what, I was looking forward to this, hope I like it whenever I get around to watching it
Yeah, if the fight ended with Vision and the kids can now live beyond the hex. That would be super bad. But the ending with Wanda finally accepting Vision and the kids disappear is great, with such a gut punching scene too. This is definitely the highlight of the finale. Not the big cg fight

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
I think the point is, as long as she didn't have full control of her power, her being near people is not a good idea. So her solution is to self exile while she tried to learn and control her power via The Darkhold. Now we can argue that even reading that Darkhold is a really bad idea, but we'll see what happen in future MCU story.

Also considering her display of power. I really doubt any governmemt will be okay to put her in prison and let her read Darkhold from inside prison

Yeah, I can agree that Wanda staying away from humans who she can influence is a good idea and that, the Darkhold might not be the best thing she can be learning magic from.

But I doubt any government would know that she's slipping astrally out of reality in her prison to study the Darkhold.
Wanda pissed off and traumatized a LOT of people in that town. Probably gave 100's of people serious trauma and PTSD, and were to believe none of these people would go to the press about it? Or try to sue the Avengers or something of that sort?
Maybe I'm placing too much reality onto this show? Haha

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
I loved every minute of this series, which surprised the heck out of me because I had very little interest in it, despite being a huge comic/MCU nerd. They absolutely nailed it and I now can't wait for the rest of the shows.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This reads like an exercise in bias.

You say it's implied that Agatha is evil because her coven tried to take her powers. But then we see that same coven would have done the same thing to Wanda.

You say she's evil because she practiced forbidden magic. But so did The Ancient One, Doctor Strange, and now Wanda. Are they evil too.

You say that Agatha is evil for taking power from 'those who don't deserve it' but you were cool with assuming Agatha's coven was justified in trying to take Agatha's powers. You don't even know the nature of Agatha's "crime" back then. You do know the nature of Wanda's crime though- she held 3000 people hostage and tortured them. Is that not an evil crime worth having powers taken?

The show is written with Wanda as a protagonist and Agatha as an antagonist. That's why you're running with these "implications" But aside from killing a dog (that she assumed Wanda would revive), Agatha didn't do anything evil.

If I told you about a story about the time Rogue encounter a mutant who was in the process of kidnapping 3000 people and she tried to absorb his power, you wouldn't assume Rogue is evil.

Yep.

I'll probably write more on this show's failings tomorrow. But man, this just completely turns me off from Falcon and Soldier.