• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
should I watch Doctor Strange. I've never seen it bc the Orientalism vibes kinda skeeved me out but I love Stephen as a character
I'm not a big fan of the movie but I'd suggest you watch it. There's still some great moments in it, and it has one of the best third acts in all of the MCU. It's also relatively short compared to other MCU movies.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Not quite yet.

Wonder if she's actually hearing the kids, or she's being manipulated?

Inside the hex though they are real flesh and blood humans. They wouldn't devolve into pixels if Hayward shot them, they'd actually die. The spell Wanda used to create the hex is just flawed like Agatha said, so they're tied to its existence.

Agents of SHIELD remains canon, that's all I have to say.

Definitely not, this show has established that Agatha had the Darkhold for some time. If anything it's the first incredibly solid confirmation that AOS is a different universe. This isn't the same Darkhold.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Counterargument: Yes they would. I've found people will "ask questions" about the most basic and clearly explained things in shows and films nowadays.

Counter counter point-- you can dismiss all criticism this way.

There's a flaw with a lot of film/TV writing that there are things that are "explained" by dialogue or whatever but don't make emotional sense with what we are actually shown. You can always point to the dialogue as the explanation, but if you don't sell it, you don't sell it. Monica's caping for Wanda has come across as odd ever since Episode 4, where she ignores what Wanda's putting people through to defend her. Yet what she is putting them through-- sold in this episode as absolute horror-- is *exactly* what Monica supposedly went through. That's why it doesn't land. As sympathetic as she could be toward Wanda, she shouldn't be dismissive of what everyone else in experiencing. It's a show with limited runtime, but if they had a moment where she expressed the conflict between sympathy for Wanda and the horrors visited on others, it would make more *emotional* sense. That might have fucked with pacing or been out of place or whatever, I'm not a filmmaker, but the problem remains in the final product. They want to show Monica as resolute and courageous and empathetic, but they don't give her room for all that without having her being solar focused on Wanda's plight to the expense of others. Hell, maybe if Monica said "we can save the town and Wanda, too" even that would have helped.

I wonder if at some point in the writing process, the script was changed to make the townspeople suffer more actively. Because so much of this thematically is weird based on how amped-up they portray it.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
They wasted Even Peters on a Boner joke. At least if he was Jimmy's missing person they'd be something narrative wise instead of a big fat middle finger.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
So Peters was the Witness not able to be detected by shield and laughed at his own name

so it is QS playing double herring Boner ?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
1) Vision unlocked all memories again. Why would we assume no emotional attachment then, even regarding those Westview memories aren't there? He leaves because the plot needs is, not because it's logical.

2) "Hi Wanda, this might seem like a goodbye, but you know that weird white me you saw? He got like all our memories and all. No need to be said, go chase him. His basically me."

3) See 1.

This storyline is meant to reflect the story of Wanda and Vision in the comics where that is exactly what happened. Vision was rebuilt, had the memories of the old one but no emotional connection to those memories. It's not the same guy. The color scheme as well as the dialogue make this obvious. That's why he left. THAT vision is not the same person, does not care, and is absolutely not the same one that Wanda married.

3s7pz5.jpg
4mbssp.jpg

THIS is who is walking around in the MCU and that is why he simply leaves. It's not the same dude.

In the comic he lacked the brain patterns of Simon Williams, which allowed him to form emotional connections. In the MCU, he's missing the Mind Stone that the original Vision had that served the same purpose.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Also I gotta question what was the point of bringing Evan Peters if they weren't gonna commit to him being X-Men's Peter Maximoff.

Like we know Deadpool is crossing universes. Fietro could had served as a nice setup. :P

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
THIS is who is walking around in the MCU and that is why he simply leaves. It's not the same dude.
I think this is right, but they didn't communicate it too well in the time he had as "himself" IMO.

When he came to he seemed a mirror to the Vision we know who has all those things, then he flies off.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Wanda was clearly at her limit with the amount of power she could crank out. People on the "edge" of the hex basically couldn't move or act, kids were just not present because presumably controlling that many people was too taxing, etc. When Vision was on the verge of death after leaving the Hex she couldn't expand it's range, she had to physically move it.

With better knowledge (like what Agatha had) Westview would have probably worked "better" than it did (agatha hinted at this)- but there's no indication anywhere that she would go from being able to barely warp a town about 1 square mile across to manipulating the entire planet. That's just crazy talk.

Wanda at her "peak power" just absorbed whatever Agatha had and stacked it onto her own power- but Agatha was VASTLY weaker than she was.

Wanda aint that strong. She's "captain marvel" strong, past peak Dr. Strange strong, definitely- but she's not powerful enough to warp the planet or anything close.

I think the poster's point is less about warping the world and more about how Wanda can spontaneously create. She could probably solve world hunger to be honest from her powers of creation, but ya know, it's a comic and fun fiction, lol.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Good finale to and overall great show. Glad they kept the focus on Wanda instead of shoehorning in a bunch of MCU crap just because they can. Hopefully we get more character focus like this. It's exactly what the MCU needs.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if we had gotten this insanity as the Wandavision finale. IMAGINE

"It is I, Mephisto- ok, not REALLY mephisto but a fragment of him with terrible fashion sense and that's close enough now WATCH as I turn your CHILDREN into HAND PUPPETS"

People legit wanted this. CRIED for it.

I, on the other hand, am still salty that it occurred in the comics version. Fuck that whole era.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
bet White Vision reappears in Armor wars, seems the most obvious place

He's still dealing with the aftermath of him vanishing from reality for 5 years and this is a localized event

I mean it was big enough magical event to attract Agatha's attention, but the other thing makes sense, that he would have been recovering.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ok, what if Vision bailed so he could see what happened after his death in Infinity War. He doesn't know shit about the snap... or did he have some kind of Ultron-access to the web and has seen what happened?

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Solid ending, lots of setup, pretty obvious Wanda helps set off multiverse of madness. Also White Vision still in play should be fun, I guess Armor Wars is most likely where he'll show up next? Rhodey is the only above ground contact he has left that he might trust. Glad they didn't kill Agatha

The stack of documents implies he's Jimmy's missing man, that's the sort of information you'd have lying around to establish a cover identity
Honestly it was kinda interesting that he had like headshots and paperwork lying around, I thought that was odd for sure. You might be onto something

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I think the poster's point is less about warping the world and more about how Wanda can spontaneously create. She could probably solve world hunger to be honest from her powers of creation, but ya know, it's a comic and fun fiction, lol.

Wanda's ability to spontaneously create was only effective within the mile or so radius of the hex. Outside of that area her creations break down into nothing.

I think this is right, but they didn't communicate it too well in the time he had as "himself" IMO.

When he came to he seemed a mirror to the Vision we know who has all those things, then he flies off.

keep in mind that his fight against OG Vision happened mere moments after attempting to crush wanda's head like ripe fruit. That's not a being that's held back to the same extent that OG vision was in regard to killing people. Even with the original memories unlocked, it's a different personality entirely. Why? No mind stone.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I mean it was big enough magical event to attract Agatha's attention, but the other thing makes sense, that he would have been recovering.

Strange was dead for 5 years and during that time the Earth was largely undefended from extra-dimensional threats and dark influence, upon returning he was probably incredibly busy putting out fires across multiple universes and could have straight up not even been on the same plane of reality during the events of this show.

But as we know this story isn't over and we'll probably find out much more about what he was up to during this time in his movie.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
I, on the other hand, am still salty that it occurred in the comics version. Fuck that whole era.

yeah, i went back and read that on Marvel Unlimited and laughed out loud when Pandemonium turned Wanda's kids into his literal arms. So fucking silly.

edit: Pai Pai Master I agree, it will definitely be addressed in the next Strange movie. like I said I didn't expect him to be there for the whole series, just thought he might show up as a cameo at the end.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
keep in mind that his fight against OG Vision happened mere moments after attempting to crush wanda's head like ripe fruit. That's not a being that's held back to the same extent that OG vision was in regard to killing people. Even with the original memories unlocked, it's a different personality entirely.
I guess that one then depends on how much people see memories as a part of the formation of one's character. Something like that will hopefully be explored later on.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
This is how I've felt for a while, honestly. I completely understand sympathizing with Wanda's grief, but doing so to the point of ignoring the pain she's inflicting on an entire town feels wrong. "They'll never know what you sacrificed for them" As if, what, they should be grateful? Poor Wanda, she lost her husband and children to save the town from *Checks Notes* Oh.

I also can't jive with Monica's sympathizing with Wanda because of the circumstances of the loss of her own mother.

It's implied by the show that Monica's mom died of cancer caused by her exposure to a being powered up by an infinity stone. But, if that's the case, why doesn't she expend one second's worth of concern for the entire town that has been suffocated by the power of being souped up by an infinity stone for weeks?

And it's not that she's not aware that radiation is potentially at play here: she's told that by TWO different characters. Hell, she has powers now because of it!

Nothing about Monica makes sense the more you think about it. And I get this is the MCU, and "thinking about it" may be fundamentally incompatible with the stories they're trying to tell. But there are just so many elements to the WandaVision story, now that we have all of it, that they didn't need to introduce. It just makes no sense to me to put Monica in such stark contrast to damn near every other character whose been exposed to Wanda's power, when those other characters immediate concern when they get freed is "HOLY SHIT we need to help these people!" Does it make Monica heroic? Not really, when one of those people is Vision - another hero AND Wanda's lover. And even he's got his priorities straight.

And maybe Monica was onto something when she said "to help these people we need to help Wanda." But that just makes her going out of her way to absolve Wanda afterwards even weirder (god that line was horrible).

Last edited:

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing Wanda's line to the kids about them choosing her is a suggestion that the kids, or their souls at least did exist before she created them as her children

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
heh I'm glad Mephisto/Nightmare/whatever didn't end up being a thing, even though I was convinced they were gonna show up in one of the mid/post-credits scenes. :P

Overall I liked the major beats of the episode but it all felt very sloppily executed. And I feel we needed a scene between White Vision and Wanda where the reality that the Vision she knew was really gone sinked in. Would had made the final scene with Hex Vision even more poignant imo.

Also the episode needed about 10 minutes more to send off all the characters.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
This storyline is meant to reflect the story of Wanda and Vision in the comics where that is exactly what happened. Vision was rebuilt, had the memories of the old one but no emotional connection to those memories. It's not the same guy. The color scheme as well as the dialogue make this obvious. That's why he left. THAT vision is not the same person, does not care, and is absolutely not the same one that Wanda married.

3s7pz5.jpg
4mbssp.jpg

In the comic he lacked the brain patterns of Simon Williams, which allowed him to form emotional connections. In the MCU, he's missing the Mind Stone that the original Vision had that served the same purpose.
Yeah, and? I don't know the comics, I take the series and the MCU at what they tell me.

If this is what I'm supposed to know, they need to include this kind of scene. (Apart from that it's kind of a dumb explanation). The only thing we have is the Theseus-dialogue which implies it, but again avoids to truly explore what it means for the actual story we're watching. The actual conflict and drama...

Again, exactly what I'm talking about wasting any dramatic potential, just setting stuff up for later. You can cut White Vision out of Wandavision and do his introduction later when they're doing his story and you lose nothing.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I also can't jive with Monica's sympathizing with Wanda because of the circumstances of the loss of her own mother.

It's implied by the show that Monica's mom died of cancer caused by her exposure to a being powered up by an infinity stone. But, if that's the case, why doesn't she expend one second's worth of concern for the entire town that was has been suffocated by the power of being souped up by an infinity stone for weeks?

And it's not that she's not aware that radiation is potentially at play here: she's told that by TWO different characters. Hell, she has powers now because of it!

Nothing about Monica makes sense the more you think about it. And I get this is the MCU, and "thinking about it" may be fundamentally incompatible with the stories they're trying to tell. But there are just so many elements to the WandaVision story, now that we have all of it, that they didn't need to introduce. It just makes no sense to me to put Monica in such stark contrast to damn near every other character whose been exposed to Wanda's power, when those other characters! immediate concern when they get freed is "HOLY SHIT we need to help these people!" Does it make Monica heroic? Not really, when one of those people is Vision - another hero AND Wanda's lover. And even he's got his priorities straight.

And maybe Monica was onto something when she said "to help these people we need to help Wanda." But that just makes her going out of her way to absolve Wanda afterwards even weirder (god that line was horrible).
It's this and that in addition to all of it Monica feels underfocused. She could have worked if they had expanded on something for her, but right now not as much for me.

I think this is why she has almost no role (fighting or otherwise) in the final episode. The creators realized that the audience won't feel the same connection between her fighting Fietro and moved it to go focus on Wanda and Vision.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I guess that one then depends on how much people see memories as a part of the formation of one's character. Something like that will hopefully be explored later on.

Vision had no memories when he was created in AoU. He was basically a blank slate, but still had a solid moral core and a curiousity about what was around him.

Cataract was just a killer satisfied to follow orders. When he was shown those orders logically couldn't be followed, he left and was unconcerned about what was happening within the hex- because his personality is entirely different.

Telling Wanda to "run after that dude" would have been crazy for Vision to do- he clearly knew that without the mind stone, Cataract would not have been the same person Wanda remembered even if he DID have digital access to the recorded memories of the original vision.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's implied by the show that Monica's mom died of cancer caused by her exposure to a being powered up by an infinity stone.

I'm not so sure about this. Petey's radioactive sperm is one thing but I doubt the MCU's gonna start treating cosmic-radiation people as actually radioactive.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Again, exactly what I'm talking about wasting any dramatic potential, just setting stuff up for later. You can cut White Vision out of Wandavision and do his introduction later when they're doing his story and you lose nothing.
Yeah, I kinda agree with this. White Vision did very little at the end. They could had saved his reveal for a post-credits scene.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Also I gotta question what was the point of bringing Evan Peters if they weren't gonna commit to him being X-Men's Peter Maximoff.

Like we know Deadpool is crossing universes. Fietro could had served as a nice setup. :P
A cheeky wink-and-nod to the audience regarding sitcom tropes.
+
Having the audience question their belief if he really was a Pietro or not, much the same way Wanda was during the show.

I have no attachment to the Fox Quicksilver, so I ended up liking what they did with the Pietro/Evan Peters swerve. If you're a big fan of his character or the Fox X-Men, I can see how it feels like Fiege is personally crushing your hopes and dreams while cracking boner jokes to add insult to injury.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
BTW. How are we supposed to believe that government, SWORD/ARMY we just wont care about Agatha? They literally saw her fly and cast spells. And now they will just let her live somewhere in Westview (remember that she doesnt have a home now).... this was so stupid.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
The problem with the sacrifice line is that the sacrifice that Wanda made in ending the hex was not greater than the sacrifice the residents of Westview were forced to make for the benefit of Wanda.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I'm not so sure about this. Petey's radioactive sperm is one thing but I doubt the MCU's gonna start treating cosmic-radiation people as actually radioactive.

I don't buy this either. Captain Marvel took place in 1995. Infinity War takes place around 2018, and Monica's mother dies somewhere in the five year period between 2018 and 2023. As absurdly common as cancer is, it's unlikely that it was the infinity stone that did it here.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Also I said to my housemate when Agatha got knocked into the house by the car:
"imagine if they just showed her boots sticking out from under the car"
And we both absolutely screamed when it happened lmao

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
BTW. How are we supposed to believe that government, SWORD/ARMY we just wont care about Agatha? They literally saw her fly and cast spells. And now they will just let her live somewhere in Westview (remember that she doesnt have a home now).... this was so stupid.
I'm just like, the people of Westview know what Agatha is. No way they're not going to call the cops and have her taken away somewhere IMO.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't the Westview sign have reverted to Eastview when the hex went down? Cuz it didn't.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Not quite yet.

uuc65tG.png

Wonder if she's actually hearing the kids, or she's being manipulated?

Looks very much like the snap, but in color.

I'm still of the mind that her power flows from the Nexus, and she's wasn't materializing something from nothing, but rather ripping them from another universe / reality. The stringer has her learning exactly what she did, and her connection to the multiverse. Like Agatha said, power wasn't the problem but her lack of knowledge of what she was actually doing.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I think what ever criticisms you can throw at Wandavision, there's no denying that Elizabeth Olson has the chops to carry this whole franchise on her back.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As much as Monica gives speeches about her grief I think the show woulda benefitted from her actually showing it more. The blip scene was just shock, then she was back walkin into Sword feelin great. Gimme her breaking down in between, show me her in disarray of some sort. I didn't really believe that grief, it was just ex-post-facto words.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This should be a template for the Disney Marvel shows in the future. Relatively self-contained/self referential mini series that are about character development as opposed to like, explicitly moving MCU story-lines forward so everyone can enjoy it as long as you like quality television. You throw enough lore and introduction of new concepts/characters to satisfy the geeks but as a clarification/enhancement of the universe than outright new worldbuilding (thank god no mutants, mephisto etc). Save those for the big budget movies.

At the end of the day I was able to enjoy it like your HBO shows and turned off my geek brain even though I know most of the lore* and that's a good thing. Im part of a bookclub where most of them don't really watch the MCU but they loved it

*After tv disappointments from Lost to GOT, I have learned to ignore the macguffins and red herrings because that's just setting you up for disappointments, lol.