• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monica has never met, worked alongside, or interacted with Wanda at all, correct?

I really have no idea why she was the #1 Wanda Supporter from beginning to end.

GambitPool

Nov 27, 2020
I mean there are supposed to be reasons that neither side is entirely wrong yes.

I'd note the accords wouldn't have stopped this
Oh I agree, but that quote popped into my head after Wanda exploded and created her fantasy reality. It could've been a whole lot worse, like a whole lot worse. Like Lagos, but on a wider scale.

If the Accords were perfect, Wanda would've gotten Vision's body back and she would've had the mental help she needed to prevent her implosion.

But that doesn't excuse the enslavement she put an entire town through. She might not have been aware of the torture she was causing, but she was aware she was controlling as many people as she could. She even put kids to permanent sleep, only waking them for Halloween. And we see on the outskirts of town, the people are frozen and crying. Who knows how long they've been that way?

There really needed to be some type of accountability or consequences. Everyone just shrugs their shoulders and Wanda exiles herself. But it's still a superhero show and they won't get in depth into the actual consequences.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that the SECOND Agatha explained in unnecessary detail what runes are and how she's using them, I knew they'd feature in how Wanda wins. It's such a fuckin overdone trope at this point, one thing will be Suspiciously Overexplained earlier in a story. Just a shameless Chekhov's Gun. MCU does this a lot, see Shuri explaining how the maglev trains work to Ross for no reason.
Quite frankly given how many people seem to miss or fail to understand even the most basic occurrences in not particularly complicated shows and films, I can see exactly why writers feel the need to explain things clearly.

"Uh, why were Jack and Jill on a hill to begin with? PLOT HOLE!"

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
She's not neutral

She wants Wanda's power and she doesn't give two shits who gets hurt in the process.

She literally could have freed everyone the moment she arrived

She intentionally brainwashed Ralph and used him as a puppet, Wanda wasn't intentionally doing so.

Wanda had no idea she was torturing people, Wanda didn't even even fully realize she was in a fantasy, the show literally shows you that Westview was created by an explosion of grief which caused Wanda's true powers to emerge and grow out of control

Wanda didn't intentionally create the hex. They show us this with blatant expository flashbacks.

Agatha all along was about all the broken aspects of the hex... those were all Agatha designed to lure Wanda out and force her to full on use her magic so Agatha could take it.

That's why she let Wanda out of the basement where her ruins were neutralizing Wanda's magic

She needed Wanda to go ham on her so she could absorb the magic, that's how Agatha gets power by absorbing the magic thrown at her. She wanted Wanda so destabilized that she'd throw every ounce of her magic at Agatha si Agatha could take it all. Arguably Agatha encourages Wanda to have children (remember For the Children) so that Agatha would have another chip to play to draw Wanda's power out.

Agatha was there to kill Wanda and take her power and do whatever the fuck she wanted with it. Agatha would have nuked everyone in town if she thought it would get her that.

She was not an anti-hero.

You just described a chaotic nuetral anti-hero.

A chaotic nuetral is a character who does good or bad acts depending on their own self interests, not morals.

An anti-hero is a character who lacks heroic traits, but acts to resolve the central conflict.

Agatha's motivation for self gain lead her to attempt to take out that big bad- the person torturing thousands of people. Whether or not Agatha actually cared about these people doesn't change this fact.

What you percieve as Wanda's lack of intent doesn't change that fact that she was doing this, and repeatedly tried to rationalize and gaslight in order to keep up the facade. It wasn't until Agatha showed her explicitly that people were being tortured that Wanda made any attempt to free people. Agatha's "Hero's don't torture people" , line was the straw that broke the camels back.

The fact that Agatha is a bad person doesn't change the reality of the role she played in this story arc.

agatha was a dick that wanted more power for herself
it even turned out that what happened at salem was intentional
Yeah... this changes nothing about her characters role as a chaotic nuetral anti-hero ...

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with that. I understood her decision to do that. It made sense- she is not going to get closure with Westview and suddenly become a hero again.

I'm just saying it didn't play well with what Monica said to her. She should have had to actually face that rejection first before hearing praise.

I think it did because it's entirely Monica's pov as someone who too was a victim of Wanda's control.

That's why Wanda says you don't hate me?

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
For once a protagonist is neither a pure angel nor a mustache-twirling villain, and I really appreciate that.

Wanda never intended to hurt people of Westview, she just wanted her family and a safe place to live. This lead to other's suffering which creates an amazing opportunity for a character to grow. She sacrificed everything she ever wanted. There will be consequences, but she definitely grew. Strange is gonna have a serious conversation with her though.

Wanda genuinely has a good heart. This actually reminds me of this Xavier line: "Just because someone stumbles, loses their way it doesn't mean they're lost forever."

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
My read of this is that she really chose acceptance in the end when she said goodbye to the kids and Hex Vision.

But now she's going to have to face far-reaching consequences (i.e. more superhero movie/show problems) for what she did, and that's going to involve the kids and potentially White Vision.
This is what I believe tbh. She stumbled upon a chance to save her children, and will do so because she acts impulsively. This will cause a problem, probably something that Doctor Strange as to deal with.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Where did the book come from?

created by the elder god-turned demon Chthon

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Monica has never met, worked alongside, or interacted with Wanda at all, correct?

Because Monica empathizes with losing a loved one to such an insane degree that she can excuse supervillainy.

Her character, as written, would be a Zemo stan too.

Oct 25, 2017
Wanda saying "oops sorry" would have been really tone deaf considering how horrifying the peoples confessions about what was going on in Westview when Agatha broke the illusion for people.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Like again they say the hex imprinted Wanda's nightmares, trauma and grief on those touched by it

Monica has a deep experience with Wanda's trauma and came out of it sympathizing.

Oct 25, 2017
Quite frankly given how many people seem to miss or fail to understand even the most basic occurrences in not particularly complicated shows and films, I can see exactly why writers feel the need to explain things clearly.

"Uh, why were Jack and Jill on a hill to begin with? PLOT HOLE!"
yea, this is blowing me away right now

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
If you don't want to explore the consequences of Wanda doing what she did that's fine. It's a superhero story. But if that's the case don't show me 10 minutes of people stuck like zombies in their yards crying because they can't control their bodies. Don't have a mom come out with tears in her eyes begging the protagonist to stop torturing her kid.

This.

The writers literally could have done the "huh...where am I? What happened? I dreamed that I was in the 50s lol" trope.

But they chose to reinforce, multiple times, that what Wanda was doing to the town was painful, invasive and traumatic. Wanda did that.

So it makes me not care about her fake kids or husband who's technically still alive. Wanda didn't actually sacrifice anything, she begrudgingly STOPPED doing a terrible thing.

Last edited:

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
So...white Vision just kinda took off? Even having all the original memories?

Where could he possibly show up next?

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I really liked the episode. Yeah, I wished it was a bit longer and that we had more answers but still, pretty great.
My only issue is the lack of post-credit scene for White Vision, but I'm still really glad we get to keep Bettany, he really became one of my favorite character with this show.

AND THANK GOD FOR RALPH.
Having him be from the Fox Universe would have soured me on the entire thing. Deadpool is the only thing you need to keep and you can argue that he's not even connected to the rest of the Fox X-Men, apart from a few jokes.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Maria was very sick and got better, and then out of nowhere without having any control over it, Monica suddenly lost her. Seems like she might sympathize with Wanda for having a very similar experience with a loved one, no?

So it makes me not care about her fake kids or husband who's technically still alive. Wanda didn't actually sacrifice anything, she begrudgingly STOPPED doing a terrible thing.

we can also stop acting like the kids are fake at this point. they're very very real.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
This.

The writers literally could have done the "huh...where am I? What happened? I dreamed that I was in the 50s lol" trope.

But they chose to reinforce, multiple times, that was Wanda was doing to the town was painful, invasive and traumatic. Wanda did that.

But she thought she was doing everyone a favor because they were living "perfect " lives. She didn't know the pain she was inflicting because she's not a trained witch.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Making her a villian would have been the easy way out. Her journey says she should be a villain. Orphaned, radicilized, turned into a living weapon, losing her brother, losing her husband, etc. But it is much more interesting having her a damaged character trying to do the right thing

Is she, though? Looks like she's reading up on how to become as powerful as possible.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Maria was very sick and got better, and then out of nowhere without having any control over it, Monica suddenly lost her. Seems like she might sympathize with Wanda for having a very similar experience, no?

Agreed. Not just that, Monica was mind controlled with everyone else, until she got shot out of there after saying the wrong thing.

After being "freed" from Westview, Monica said that she could feel what Wanda felt while she was in there- just grief, hopelessness- it didn't match up to Hayward's "terrorist" theory but WOULD be familiar to someone who lost their mother and hadn't healed from that yet.

Is she, though? Looks like she's reading up on how to become as powerful as possible.

There's a few ways to read that. I chose to see that as Wanda realizing her powers aren't what she thought they were, and she needs to know a lot more about how witchcraft works before she does something horrible like accidentally enslave a whole town again. Agatha clearly wasn't anywhere close to as strong as she was, but was still able to give her the business because her knowledge was vastly better. That shouldn't happen.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Does vision get all the good lines or is Bettany just that good at delivering them?

"I've been as voice without a body, a body but not human, and now a memory brought to life"

So good

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about it now, the "Mephisto" teases were legit, but they might have not been teasing Mephisto, but another demonic presence, the Darkhold. Agatha calls it "The Book of the Damned". We were just barking up the wrong tree.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Does vision get all the good lines or is Bettany just that good at delivering them?

"I've been as voice without a body, a body but not human, and now a memory brought to life"

So good
Both. Vision by his nature has to be a little more philosophical in his dialogue and Bettany's the guy to deliver it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it now, the "Mephisto" teases were legit, but they might have not been teasing Mephisto, but another demonic presence, the Darkhold. Agatha calls it "The Book of the Damned". We were just barking up the wrong tree.
The Darkhold is arguably higher up the totem pole than Mephisto

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

So good

Until I watched this show It kept me up at night wondering how the hell THAT guy had married Jennifer Connelly.

I don't wonder about this anymore.