• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
😂
hGbpbdD.png

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Man, so many cliffhangers, so many loose ends, so much setup with very little payoff. Ending felt very rushed and restrained, like it was afraid to explore deeper intentionally.

Even without the wild speculation, it built up a lot within itself and didn't deliver on a lot of fronts:
  • Agatha's purpose was never explained​
  • How she came across Wanda was never shown​
  • Pietro storyline was shafted for a boner joke​
  • Vision flew off after having his memory restored​
  • Darkhold wasn't explained (unless it's the key factor for the MCU moving forward)​
  • Monica's entire storyline and purpose made no sense (she was a SWORD agent on the Wanda case, but she had a change of heart and decided to help Wanda instead because...?)​
  • Hayward's sheer hatred towards Wanda was unexplained (she tried to take Vision and...?)​
  • Darcy was reduced to a one-liner who's only role was to stop Hayward.​
Finale could've been so much better :(
1. She wants to investigate the huge power energy and after that, steal the power.
2. Probably detects the power, it's not necessary to show this in my opinion.
3. He doesn't event have a storyline, he's just some device for Agatha to investigate and screw with Wanda. His likeness to another character is ilkely a meta joke.
4. True, he may appear in future movies.
5. True, same as 4. For now it's just a spell book with details about the Scarlet Witch.
6. They share the same grief.
7. He hates super powered individuals, he blames them for the snap.
8. Darcy is always a one liner character from the start lol.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
"kids, deal with the military" jesus christ wanda wtf

monica is like... the piccolo of these kids immediately

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Remember literally this was all done unintentionally. The only reason Wanda even becomes aware is because of Agatha and a little bit Monica.

If I cause a multiple car crash, and for some reason, I'm not even apologetic at all, even if nobody ends up physically hurt, I don't expect law enforcement to show up and tell me "These other drivers really don't appreciate what you did for them".

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
We can all agree that Wanda and Vision's last scene saying goodbye to the kids and then to each other was top tier at least right?

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Middling, but a capstone enough for the show. It keeps everything relatively contained while leaving things open, and Wanda and Vision have their character moments to the end.

It seemed an finely-balanced enough act with Wanda vs. Agatha and Vision vs. Vision while SWORD comes up to make everything worse, but it should've been Monica actively intercepting the soldiers, not the kids (Wanda and Vision siccing the kids on the soldiers is a bit wtf, honestly lol) and definitely bummed out that Quicksilver was discarded quickly.

I did like how Vision talked sword-Vision down, and I get why the other Vision bugged out. Chances are he's gonna be just as emotive as fake-Vision was during his breakdowns. Like how OG vision immediately lashed out at Thor when he woke up, except he's got a whole lot of other shit to process.

The sacrifice line was dumb, but I understand the intent behind it. A simple change in wording; or maybe a change of locale where Wanda tracks Monica down in private- would have made it so much better. In this vein, I understand how Monica is the perfect person to interact with Wanda in this context but definitely needed screentime with her trying to come to grips with her mother. I suspect it would be the type of thing to have too much overlap with her eventual CM2 appearance.

Holed up in the Alaskabolic Time Chamber I half-expect Wanda to be fully on another tier when she rolls up in Doctor Strange; she'll find him blundering around the multiverse, rip something from the Cancerverse in half with ease and she'll be like "man, so you're the Sorcerer Supreme?"

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, around episode 5, I knew they weren't gonna be able to land this thing, and as they dragged resolving so much of the shows threads even further into the end, it was all but confirmed for me.

This was an awful finale. It does have some highs, particularly the wind down and getting to the good bye. But, they needed to resolve a multitude of plot lines that could have been resolved or more thoroughly explored episodes ago but wasn't because everything mystery needed to be maintained until the absolute 11th hour.

As far as the broader MCU, seems like we are getting more Skrulls but honestly, this just made me feel like the MCU is in this wheel spin. The fact that they started a plot thread around white vision and had him fly off despite having his memories for Wanda come back to him is absolutely fucking insane.

Honestly, it was that realization that completely undermined the goodbye - a physical, real vision with all his memories in tact is alive and well now and instead of doing literally anything with him, he flew off so Wanda could have a goodbye with a fake Vision? Wtf? Like, why show us a restored Vision before the goodbye then? What's the fucking point?

Honestly, there was terrible pacing going on for several episodes, same for the writing. The fact that so much shit they built up is left hanging or just gets completely dropped just made this finale all the more ridiculous.

He has the memories but I don't think he has the capacity for emotional connection yet... he doesn't have the mind stone.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I did really like that they didn't drop an "even bigger bad" in there at the end. It was just Wanda and Agatha stirring up all the trouble, which is the way I wanted it to be.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Did she not sacrifice Vision to try and stop Thanos???

Come on. The conversation was clearly about what had just happened, not about Vision in Infinity War.

But again, it doesn't matter either way. Wanda turned an entire town of people into slaves. "They'll never understand the sacrifice you made" is awful no mater what "sacrifice" you think she was referring to. It's irrelevant.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I enjoyed it, glad they didn't bring someone else in at the end to save the day i.e. Strange.

I can't see any other way the Vision's fight was ever going to end.

I thought the wards on the Hex were telegraphed in the previous episode.

I don't think Monica was absolving Wanda at the end just saying that she understood but the townsfolk never would, doesn't make it right either way though.

Overall I really enjoyed the season and the story it told.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I loved the series but the last episode really left a sour taste, Fake Pietro being just a dick joke, Darcy appears for like 10 seconds and just fucks off, Monica's dumb sacrifice line, Hayward gets arrested for... trying to stop Wanda? Anyways, everything involving just Wanda and Vision was good at least.
Hayward did much more than try to "stop Wanda", he was trying to steal a sentient super weapon for his own devices.

Also, he tried to murder two kids in broad daylight. (Be they magically created or not.)

Plus all the lying to other government agencies, framing Wanda for the theft of Vision's body, detaining citizens and other law enforcement officers without cause, etc.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
If I cause a multiple car crash, and for some reason, I'm not even apologetic at all, even if nobody ends up physically hurt, I don't expect law enforcement to show up and tell me "These other drivers really don't appreciate what you did for them".

You realize if you cause a car crash by accident you aren't actually held liable right?

Also Monica isn't a cop. She's a grounded pilot.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lmfao, I tried to tell people regarding Fietro, but y'all ain't wanna listen. The minute it was revealed Agatha was behind that made it obvious we weren't getting any multiverse shit, it was just a fun tease. Can't say I'm remotely bothered by it, because again, X-Men and multiverse shenanigans are still gonna happen one way or another.

Ok. But it's telling that the only reactions people are sharing are either people like me who are disappointed in it being a fake out that was drawn out way too long, for literally no payoff, and people like you who just want to be smug "I told you guys it couldn't really be the multiverse lol!".

Like, you don't even like it for what was in the show, you just like it because other people didn't get what they wanted/expected, that being the appearance of a popular character. It's shit writing.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Series kind of dipped for me once they dropped the sitcom "gimmick". Had high hopes for the finale after the last episode but this all kind of fell flat for me.

Agatha out there looking like a bad Halloween costume. At least the scarlet witch outfit looked pretty good.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know when the director of the show says to keep expectations in check, that really translates to "All your fan theories are wrong."

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
And yes, it would've made Monica feel much more as a character, and improve her connection to Wanda. The show could've done better in that regard. Especially seeing how decently they handled Wanda's loss. But is that one of your gripes? That Monica, a black women (and her grief) didn't get the same care, the same level of attention as Wanda? (this is a hundred percent sincere question, no snark or anything)

It's not so much that she didn't get the same care as Wanda. I was never expecting that. Wanda's name is in the show title after all. It's that she got no care at all. And yeah, it does sting a little, because Monica at the start of this was hailed as being a new level of Black representation in the MCU. But Black characters have been the "support class" plenty, and this was no different than that.

Removing the racial argument from it, in a show that was already strapped for time, if you weren't going to do anything meaningful with her character you could have used some of her screen time for the bits of the show that were underdeveloped.

Dec 26, 2017
4. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but the motif that played in the second after credits sounded like Doctor Strange's theme.
Yay, I'm glad somebody else caught that! She was studying the book via astral projection like Strange did, her magic was all glowy disc-looking like his spells for the first time, and a creepy version of Strange's theme was playing. Very curious where we pick up with Wanda in Doctor Strange 2.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I did really like that they didn't drop an "even bigger bad" in there at the end. It was just Wanda and Agatha stirring up all the trouble, which is the way I wanted it to be.

I agree.

The 'It was Agatha All Along' reveal feels a bit damn silly to me now though

What...what was Agatha All Along? Wanda was the antagonist of the show and the focus of the finale was Wanda resolving her own grief and letting go of the past

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One thing about White Vision is that, while a decent # of people guessed 'they merge', it was still surprising to see the confrontation end with the logic scene. I enjoyed that.

You know when the director of the show says to keep expectations in check, that really translates to "All your fan theories are wrong."

For sure, the interviews this week/morning were very much damage control. I think they prepared people with Bettany's mean culpa about the cameo but really didn't get ahead of the Fietro stuff.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
What a good finale, but man I'm left wanting so much more. Lots of questions and that post credits scene with Wanda looked crazy as fuck.

What happens next?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You realize if you cause a car crash by accident you aren't actually held liable right?

Also Monica isn't a cop. She's a grounded pilot.

She works for what is positioned as a SHIELD type agency, who are a federal/global defense secret agency. She's totally employed as (superhero) law enforcement, whether you want to call her a cop or not.

There's a massive difference between "not being held liable" and "the other drivers are in the wrong for being pissed at you, actually they should appreciate what you did".

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Ending was okay. 2 things I'm wondering.
What happened to Agatha since the hex is gone? Isn't she now herself again (without powers)?
And where the fuck was Strange? Not even a "What just happened here?" scene from him? Right there before his hood?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
It was an interesting experiment, I think we can give it that. Bungled the execution a little, but still a worthy attempt at interesting synergy-ish TV. Falcon's gonna be dope though, especially if it captures the feeling of Russos Winter Soldier.

Oct 28, 2017
I agree.

What...what was Agatha All Along? Wanda was the antagonist of the show and the focus of the finale was Wanda resolving her own grief and letting go of the past
???

The song was about her messing things up within the Hex and conjuring up fake Pietro. Which was explicitly shown in the show.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Hayward did much more than try to "stop Wanda", he was trying to steal a sentient super weapon for his own devices.

Also, he tried to murder two kids in broad daylight. (Be they magically created or not.)

Plus all the lying to other government agencies, trying to frame Wanda for the theft of Vision's body, detaining citizens and other law enforcement officers without cause, etc.
One the kids dont count they are fake, he knew that and they just attacked the military. They were essentially another Wanda magical attack
Two we sadly don't know his motivations. Maybe Maria told him to revive Vision, maybe the president did. They planet just got decimated. They need weapons. To assume because he attacked Wanda makes him evil is lame. She was the evil one here. He was defending the citiizens on Westview, with a weapon he was likely ordered to build.
He detained three people who tried to disrupt his containing a hostage situation. No citizens were arrested.
Wanda was the villain here. And her family were pixels.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I agree.

"Agatha All Along" was explained very clearly last week.

Wanda caused everything. Agatha then put herself into the bubble to see how she did it.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Episode needed 5 to 10 minutes more to wrap things up imo. The ending felt rushed af.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

Literally the song is how was it that was fucking up everything, who was destabilizing the immersion of the illusion... it was Agatha all along

Every time there was a glitch or something was off in the world it was Agatha pressing Wanda to lose it and expose her power so she could steal it.

Oct 25, 2017
it's wild to me that people expected a show about wanda processing her grief was going to end with "jokes, vision is now merged into a new body, lol"

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Series kind of dipped for me once they dropped the sitcom "gimmick". Had high hopes for the finale after the last episode but this all kind of fell flat for me.

Agatha out there looking like a bad Halloween costume. At least the scarlet witch outfit looked pretty good.

Agatha was pretty lame in the final episode. I liked her a lot when they were travelling through the memories last episode but she kinda failed to be anything other than generic power hungry bad guy in the end. I really wish they would have played her up as the actual good guy here, trying to stop the Scarlet Witch before she destroyed the world. Agatha's punishment is fucked up enough to make that storyline work.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok. But it's telling that the only reactions people are sharing are either people like me who are disappointed in it being a fake out that was drawn out way too long, for literally no payoff, and people like you who just want to be smug "I told you guys it couldn't really be the multiverse lol!".

Like, you don't even like it for what was in the show, you just like it because other people didn't get what they wanted/expected, that being the appearance of a popular character. It's shit writing.

Idk what the fuck to tell you, I was on board with the multiverse theories when he first showed up. Then it was *Agatha all along*, and it became immediately obvious that it wasn't that. She then straight up spelled out for us that she wasn't all that powerful at the end of the day, so where the hell would Fietro come from lol

I've always enjoyed it for what it likely (and ended up being) was, a little fun easter egg, maybe don't make assumptions. As I said before, there was a very obvious alternative reason as to why this specific show, WandaVision, a show that's a homage to sitcoms and all that, would pull this kind of stunt. So I made sure to never go all in on the multiverse theories to begin with *shrugs

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Also lol at Darcy just disappearing.

Kind of an underwhelming finale tbh.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
She works for what is positioned as a SHIELD type agency, who are a federal/global defense secret agency. She's totally employed as (superhero) law enforcement, whether you want to call her a cop or not.

There's a massive difference between "not being held liable" and "the other drivers are in the wrong for being pissed at you, actually they should appreciate what you did".

Monica is speaking as someone who was a victim of Wanda's mojo too.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hayward gets arrested for... trying to stop Wanda?
You missed the part where he rebuilt Vision against international law as a murderbot on top of it and then kidnapped an FBI agent to cover it up

It's amazing how everyone misses this part of Hayward actions despite the show mentioning at least twice that rebuilding vision was super illegal.
This ending has a lot of problems but his ain't one

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
And in the end, this show came down to an episode that consisted of forty minutes of characters shooting glowing orbs and beams at each other, a penis joke and leveraging a fake family and grief to excuse the fact that Wanda subjugated and tortured hundreds of people for weeks.

Great stuff there, Marvel.