• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
MY thing is I totally believe the Monica we've gotten to know over the last 9 episodes would say that line. But that's because, in my opinion, Monica's gotten shitty character development from the moment she was introduced in this show. And it's a shame.

Who is she other than a reference to a character from the first Captain Marvel and an apologist for Wanda Maximoff? And I don't mean that flippantly. What independent character development did she get in this entire series, other than super powers that were born out of her one-track impulse to serve Wanda?

The blip scene?

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does everything think Wanda should have apologized? Not apologizing was the point and clearly important to her future character arc. She chose to run away rather than face the consequences of her actions and that is 100% obviously leading into her continuing down that path once she fucks up the multiverse. her failing to own up to her error is the entire point.

Wanda being unapologetic is fine if that's the arc they want to write, but its at the cost of Monica's character. She's blinded by her own loss of her mother and is letting Wanda get away with far too much. She was literally two steps away from "actually Wanda, you didn't do anything wrong. I would have done the same thing as you if I could"

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I will say, they used those 8 episodes to build Agatha up to being one of the more compelling MCU villains, and I hope we see a LOT of her going forward.

But Wanda? No. This entire show was basically "White Woman Tears: The Miniseries"

The entire show was 'white women tears' from day one. It's always been about dealing with grief, with trauma. And how those can break people. And those are all very important things to show, to explore. And frankly, dismissing those as 'white women tears' is well, very dismissive.

Aside from that it's a very complicated matter, and WandaVision handled in a surprisingly decent and absolutely beautiful way.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
White Vision has the body and memories, he lacks the mind.
Wanda, oh joy, has the mind within her.

Those two crazy kids will end up together, the writing is on the wall, it is just a question of which movie will it happen.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen others bring this up but does anyone else find it particularly tone-deaf that one of the only prominent black characters in the entire show gets the line absolving the white lead from their guilt over literally enslaving and torturing people? As far as coded shit goes, that uh... felt particularly egregious.

...When you put it that way

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
It was fun, although I have some gripes with it;

- The ending is strange. Like others have said, the "they won't Know what you sacrificed for them" is so bizarre. I know Monica can relate to Wanda, but it seems so out of place. Wanda agreeing with her makes it even more dumb. Should have used something else to end with.

- I'm pretty sure Monica's powers not being explained is something thats intentional; the first stinger with a Skrull asking that an old friend wants to meet up means screentime on Captain Marvel 2 or even Secret Invasion.

- I wonder when the White Vision will return. I imagine him returning in Dr. Strange 2?

- That new Wanda costume though, lordy.

- The Fietro fake out was hilarious. It was super abrupt though, shame.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
On paper, the sacrifice line makes sense because you're wrapping up Monica's subplot, but in execution yes it's terrible. They should have realised during shooting how problematic it was and tried some other lines as backups.

Lessening the action scenes would have given us precious more seconds of Monica scenes. Another prediction I was wrong about, I thought there would be a brief skirmish, but nope, they went quite heavy with the action. It wasn't necessary to be honest, we're all watching for Wanda and drama, not mindless action. It felt very obligatory.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The entire show was 'white women tears' from day one. It's always been about dealing with grief, with trauma. And how those can break people. And those are all very important things to show, to explore. And frankly, dismissing those as 'white women tears' is well, very dismissive.

Aside from that it's a very complicated matter, and WandaVision handled in a surprisingly decent and absolutely beautiful way.

Then why did we get no context for Monica's grief, the origins of which we were shown?

We got multiple scenes of Monica telling us she empathized with Wanda. None showing us that.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MY thing is I totally believe the Monica we've gotten to know over the last 9 episodes would say that line. But that's because, in my opinion, Monica's gotten shitty character development from the moment she was introduced in this show. And it's a shame.

Who is she other than a reference to a character from the first Captain Marvel and an apologist for Wanda Maximoff? And I don't mean that flippantly. What independent character development did she get in this entire series, other than super powers that were born out of her one-track impulse to serve Wanda?

I fuckin agree big time. The level of defense Monica played for Wanda, despite having no connection to her besides the implied "I'm also grieving for my mother" is just unbelievable to me. It could have worked if they spent a little more time fleshing out how Monica didn't properly let go of her mother and was projecting her own struggle onto Wanda, but I don't think it was earned at all.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
IerU8ff.jpg

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen others bring this up but does anyone else find it particularly tone-deaf that one of the only prominent black characters in the entire show gets the line absolving the white lead from their guilt over literally enslaving and torturing people? As far as coded shit goes, that uh... felt particularly egregious.
That felt like Monica's only purpose throughout the show tbh To get people to empathize with Wanda. It is kinda gross when you put it that way

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
This might just be the worst finale to a TV show I can remember.

Underwhelming fight scenes, supporting characters like Darcy barely having any screen time, White Vision just flying off without any fanfare, the stupid ass Ralph Boner shit, Monica's insulting "they'll never understand the sacrifices you made" line. I was really digging those first 8 episodes and then this one just completely dropped the ball.

Besides the Wanda/Vision goodbye scene, nothing landed at all for me. Even the post credits stingers felt weak and didn't get me hyped. Meh.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tony stark already made it quite clear that building a murderbot and then committing murder to cover it up isn't a jailable offense.
Only because they made it illegal after that instance. They did mention in this show that rebuilding Vision was against the Sokovia accords, and in fact Hayward was attempting to make it look like his hijacked Vision was just a creation of Wanda because what he did was illegal

Last edited:

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Wanda being unapologetic is fine if that's the arc they want to write, but its at the cost of Monica's character. She's blinded by her own loss of her mother and is letting Wanda get away with far too much. She was literally two steps away from "actually Wanda, you didn't do anything wrong. I would have done the same thing as you if I could"
Monica is still fresh from coming back, post-snap, too. Just like Wanda, her loss is still very recent.

It was a really bad line, but I don't think it's character destroying, or anything of that nature. Monica is obviously very sympathetic to super powered beings, and I think that plays a part in why at first glance she'd try to comfort Wanda.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
This might just be the worst finale to a TV show I can remember.

Underwhelming fight scenes, supporting characters like Darcy barely having any screen time, White Vision just flying off without any fanfare, the stupid ass Ralph Boner shit, Monica's insulting "they'll never understand the sacrifices you made" line. I was really digging those first 8 episodes and then this one just completely dropped the ball.

Besides the Wanda/Vision goodbye scene, nothing landed at all for me. Even the post credits stingers felt weak and didn't get me hyped. Meh.
You must not watch much TV if you think this is the worst TV finale you've ever seen.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

She did confront Wanda twice before, one when she first gets kicked out of Westview, the second when Agatha comes to her rescue. Though I might be me remembering wrong. I just felt that the character who would confront Wanda on what she did wouldn't go "yeah, no they should be grateful to you".

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, are people finally saying Monica wasn't much of a character that made sense? Excellent

Again, I love the character as far as comics go & wanted to see her do more here. But nothing she did had any weight behind it.

We're told she's sad, that she believes in Wanda, so forth, but none of it ever felt meaningful. She was there to get her powers. Hopefully she has more to her in CM2, but... I also kinda need CM to have more to her.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Monica is still fresh from coming back, post-snap, too. Just like Wanda, her loss is still very recent.

It was a really bad line, but I don't think it's character destroying, or anything of that nature. Monica is obviously very sympathetic to super powered beings, and I think that plays a part in why at first glance she'd try to comfort Wanda.

It's not character destroying, because its in line with how flat Monica's character is. On the bright side I guess she has no where to go but up into space.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are reading WAY too much into that exchange between Monica and Wanda.

Monica was quite simply talking about Wanda losing Vision and Pietro to Thanos and Ultron but still saving the world.

That's it.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
It is even weirder because I felt Wanda at the cabin kind of felt like Thanos after Infinity War, which makes the meme even more accurate.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Monica was quite simply talking about Wanda losing Vision and Pietro to Thanos and Ultron but still saving the world.

That's it.

That is not the definition of a sacrifice. And she went on to say she'd have brought her mother back.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
"They'll never know what you sacrificed for them" is the worst moment in the entire MCU and completely insulting to good storytelling on every possible level.

It makes absolute sense from Monica's point of view. It's also not Wanda's point of view, this is Monica realizing in herself what she would do to be with her mother again. Remember Monica snapped out thinking her mom was going to be fine and came back with her now long dead, no chance to say goodbye, no chance to make up for lost time. Remember that Monica hasn't even been back from the snap for even a month basically. She's had no time to work through and process her own trauma and grief, so that line is her saying that Wanda is stronger than she ever could be.

Monica also felt Wanda's sadness.

Remember literally this was all done unintentionally. The only reason Wanda even becomes aware is because of Agatha and a little bit Monica.

Reality is Wanda when she was finally in a place where she could undo it, did, at the cost of her kids and husband.

Wanda knows that it will never matter, and rightfully so, to the people of Westview that she didn't do it on purpose.

She tells Monica that if they knew, it wouldn't change how they see her, she accepts that they are right to view her as a villain, she doesn't even try to explain or apologize to them because she knows she is beyond explanation and forgiveness to them.

It's that ultimate question of how far would you go for your family. A not 0% of Westviewers in Wanda's shoes with Wanda's power would have chosen their family, Monica was one of those who fell under Wanda's power so it's worth seeing it also as her forgiving Wanda.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm fine with how Monica was handled cause I expect the deep stuff with Monica will be in Captain Marvel 2 and this was basically the introduction to the adult version of her. Yeah she had a small scene where she showcased her powers(which was pretty hyped to another black powered woman phase through bullets) and then had a post credits scene that sets up Captain Marvel 2. Like in this show we got some major point fleshed out like her revealed to have been snapped and returned to find out her mom died, discovered that maybe do to that she feels some type of way about Carol and most importantly she got her powers so honestly it's fine with how she was handled.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

That's it.

Wanda literally turned an entire town into slaves.

It doesn't matter if Monica was talking about fake Vision and the kids or real Vision and Pietro.

No one is reading too much into that exchange.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lmfao, I tried to tell people regarding Fietro, but y'all ain't wanna listen. The minute it was revealed Agatha was behind that made it obvious we weren't getting any multiverse shit, it was just a fun tease. Can't say I'm remotely bothered by it, because again, X-Men and multiverse shenanigans are still gonna happen one way or another.

As for the finale, good stuff in terms of continuing to really sell you on Wanda's grief, and Wanda and Vision's relationship. I legitimately teared up at her having to let him and her children go. In regards to the main point of the show, which was exploring Wanda's grief and getting you invested in her and Vision, it was easily 10/10. Also her Scarlet Witch outfit was so GOOD, like holy fuck they really nailed the design

In terms of Monica though... eh. They did her dirty when all is said and done. It's not her show, and I'm thankful she got powers at all, but those powers only being used to block some bullets was pretty lame ngl. And of course, the most infamous line, "They'll never know what you sacrificed for them" Jfc Monica, the fuck are you saying? I don't mind Wanda playing that shit off, because honestly, what the fuck can you say after you enslaved a whole ass town, but Monica defending her to that extent? Yea that was just weird as fuck. I've been fine for her sympathy towards Wanda due to her losing her mom, but that was a bridge too far. There had to have been a million ways to better sell Monica's sympathy for her one last time.

I didn't really expect Wanda to suffer any consequences, but at the same time it still kind of shocked me that she just simply... flew away. I mean if I had her power I wouldn't willingly go to jail either, but yea. Given the post credits scene, maybe this really all was a villain origin of sorts, and it's gonna take more work than we thought to really get Wanda into a good place again idk.

People complaining about stuff like Darcy is hilarious though, she was always going to be little more than a side character

Agatha kind of disappointed me a little since the intro song. But I'm glad she's not dead, and their final dialogue hints that it's still possible to have Agatha help Wanda like she did in the comics, just obviously won't be the same type of relationship. And the way Wanda dealt with her was fucked up, so I'm glad the show at least acknowledged that.

White Vision vs Vision was hype, and I liked how Vision took him down peacefully. Though yea, him leaving made no sense, it basically just happened because plot wise Wanda needed to be alone with the Vision she created I guess.

Overall the finale did good in terms of feels, but yea, some noticeable sloppiness, and that line from Monica is gonna get rightfully mocked so hard lmao. All that aside, I absolutely loved the show. Wanda and Vision have dramatically shot up in my list of favorites, to the point where I cannot wait to see her in the new Dr. Strange movie.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I could entirely be happy without the Fox X-Men being anywhere near the MCU, but seeing Peters' inclusion against a backdrop of knowing we're getting a film called 'The Multiverse of Madness' soon and another film that literally has all the actors from other iterations of 'Spider-Man'...

It was a dick move

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
So I guess the next thread to get spammed with the word 'Mephisto' will be Loki, because there was an image of a devil on a window or some shit. But I'm sure if everyone tries real hard they can spam the Falcon/WS thread with their inane theories about the red menace.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Then why did we get no context for Monica's grief, the origins of which we were shown?

We got multiple scenes of Monica telling us she empathized with Wanda. None showing us that.

I agree with this a hundred percent. The show would've been a lot better if we spent more time with Monica and her grief. The ending would've been better if we'd seen Monica as someone who was hurt by being controlled by Wanda, but could understand her because she was grieving herself. That way she was more of proxy for the people of Westview, so Wanda's apology to her would've felt more as an apology to the villagers as well.

And yes, it would've made Monica feel much more as a character, and improve her connection to Wanda. The show could've done better in that regard. Especially seeing how decently they handled Wanda's loss. But is that one of your gripes? That Monica, a black women (and her grief) didn't get the same care, the same level of attention as Wanda? (this is a hundred percent sincere question, no snark or anything)

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the series but the last episode really left a sour taste, Fake Pietro being just a dick joke, Darcy appears for like 10 seconds and just fucks off, Monica's dumb sacrifice line, Hayward gets arrested for... trying to stop Wanda? Anyways, everything involving just Wanda and Vision was good at least.