• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really think this was around the time that Kevin Feige first flexed his creative control of the MCU in a major way.

I remember thinking at the time that many of the things you list actually made Ultron a pretty weak movie. The introduction of Vision, for example, felt like textbook studio meddling, shoehorned into an already stuffed movie to please some exec. But in this case, that exec seemed to have been in the right. Nearly all of the seeds planted in that film have now borne fruit.

From what I recall the most meddling they did was the Thor Ragnarok tease

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing though: at this point, it's gone beyond "Easter egg." They introduced him with the intent of teasing that he is the Fox Pietro. If they had made it clear that he's not the Fox Pietro in his first full episode, that would be one thing. But they've been coy about it the entire time, purposefully building a mystery around who he is that will likely be answered in the finale.

If it's just, "We cast Evan Peters to trick people for half the series," that will be super disappointing.

It doesn't change anything in the grand scheme of things, but sure I guess...

Not saying one can't be disappointed whatsoever for Pietro specifically, I get it. I'm just saying the whole idea of people being mad over another fakeout is silly because we're still getting multiverse stuff. A fakeout only hurts me personally if I knew they were never going to delve into the multiverse, or ever introduce the X-Men. But that's just me lol

Like I said, the alternative is just so much less interesting and it kills one of the coolest moments I've experienced in the MCU. When it happens I literally yelled "what!", nothing else has made me do that. And because we do know that the multiverse and x-men are coming, it makes even less sense for this to be a fake out. It adds absolutely nothing but takes sooo much away.

See, I disagree about it not making sense. There's an obvious alternate explanation for why this specific show, WandaVision, which plays with sitcom tropes and all that, would find it cute to do a little wink and nod with Fox's Pietro.

I don't disagree that it's a lot less interesting in comparison, but that's a separate matter. At any rate, I'll continue to keep expectations in check, especially given that pretty much the only big theory that's been right so far is Agnes being Agatha. (Well, not that that was hard to guess) Not to mention she also doesn't seem all that powerful either.

For those of y'all going all in on the theory, best of luck, I hope it pans out.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Like I said, the alternative is just so much less interesting and it kills one of the coolest moments I've experienced in the MCU. When it happens I literally yelled "what!", nothing else has made me do that. And because we do know that the multiverse and x-men are coming, it makes even less sense for this to be a fake out. It adds absolutely nothing but takes sooo much away.
Absolutely. the internet went crazy. I'll be disappointed if it's just a "fan nod" when we know the multiverse and mutants are on the horizon. I think that would be disappointing more people than the vocal minority that would hate to see it. I feel like all the signs are there that his appearance has significance. It seems like those that want to think that's it's just a cute nod, mostly don't like this character or don't want to see mutants introduced through him, and that's fine. Hey maybe they are right.

I'm prepared to eat crow and be disappointed :(

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
But the whole Evan Peters thing is completely out-of-story. Mysterio's words are in-universe dialogue. They're two different things. Like.. you're talking about people connecting casting and the title of the next Strange film as a "fake out" when it's not. That's fan speculation, not MCU Creatives using a fake out.
Isn't Quintin Beck's lie a bit out of story? He says he's from Earth-833 and the specific terminology he makes up, happens to exist in the other marvel stories, and how they depict the multiverse.
Here's the thing though: at this point, it's gone beyond "Easter egg." They introduced him with the intent of teasing that he is the Fox Pietro. If they had made it clear that he's not the Fox Pietro in his first full episode, that would be one thing. But they've been coy about it the entire time, purposefully building a mystery around who he is that will likely be answered in the finale.

If it's just, "We cast Evan Peters to trick people for half the series," that will be super disappointing.
I wouldn't say it's just an easter egg, like the funny dr strange reference in the raimi movie. Mysterio's lie is crucial to the plot, how a new hero can suddenly appear in the world, fair enough, but it's a bit "out of story" he can just pull the specific multiverse terms out of his arse.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Simply by introducing him, they're teasing that he is Pietro from the X-Men universe. By not disproving that idea at all, they're dragging out the tease that they put in the show. He's there because they want people to think he might be the Fox Pietro.

I mean, the audio description for the episode literally says "Wanda stares at the version of Pietro from the X-Men films."

I think it's meant to be paid off later, but Evan being Pietro in the MCU is too on the nose not to mean something at some point. Feige does nothing by accident.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wanda is either creating these beings out of magic / sheer will / plot fingers, or she's pulling them from alternate realities - I have to imagine it's the latter since we're literally getting a Multiverse film and this show ties in with said Multiverse film.

Also, do we know if Sparky was outright created by Wanda or if there was already a Sparky in the town and her magic just lured it into a sitcom plotline?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
True in that. In fairness the sentiment on the quoted stereotype tends to focus more on a general loss of emotional control and tying it to losing male influences, but the episode does do a good job especially with the final SWORD/Westview flashback on emphasizing that she has been left with nothing. And while it is a moment of weakness it's not one servient to someone or something else.

On that note it is impressive how that actually stuck with Agatha just being a passerby. There is no plan or scheme, she's just a passing witch who felt her power, power beyond anything she's ever known, and was essentially prodding and goading her just to see what her deal was. And that was honestly nice to see.
I disagree with this part. Agatha wants to know HOW she was doing it. Because she wants to do it too.

She was shocked that Wanda had no training. She had figured that Wanda was a super experienced witch who had figured out how to do spells she didn't know.

Agatha is shown basically eating magical energy at the beginning of the the episode. She seems to get stronger as it happens (which actually goes against the the Dr Strange yes. Magic for the Sorcerers are about skill and understanding. It seems that witches have some innate understanding of magic but still need training.)

The trope of the person born with magic but needs training is an old one. But based on the gifs from earlier from Thor Ragnork and the most recent episode shows that magic has some rules, and Wanda breaking them.

And that freaks Agatha out to the point that she makes it a hostage situation.

It calls back to the opening scene. Magic used in "incorrect" ways by Agatha required her to be punished. She pleaded to not be and her own mother was drained and killed.

Now Agatha is telling Wanda that she isn't allowed to use her magic that way.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
The mind stone showing Wanda her being "The Scarlet Witch" and them teasing this outfit in character posters makes me believe we gonna see her at the end of the last episode in the Scarlet Witch outfit.

With this being the case i feel like she will have a either antagonist persona leading into Multiverse Of Madness or she could be trained by Doctor Strange because her hands look like stuff Strange would do to cast magic.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yes, but Thanos was behind the events of Avengers, an antagonist in the shadows that is foreshadowed in the opening events of the movie.

Mutants have no role in WandaVision and that's the case whether or not Fietro is plucked from Fox (in which case the source of his superpowers is frankly utterly unimportant for the story) or just stunt casting (which I still think is the more likely outcome and works just as well if not better story-wise).

It's just not additive to anything and mutants are too far away for it to be a satisfactory tease. They're being pretty clear in this that Wanda is in the magic sphere of the MCU and I'm betting that is kept fairly distinct from mutants.
This, 👆

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't Quintin Beck's lie a bit out of story? He says he's from Earth-833 and the specific terminology he makes up, happens to exist in the other marvel stories, and how they depict the multiverse.

It's not out of story. The accuracy of the terms he uses is just one of the many things that the MCU uses to stay true to the comics. The character and his minions (for lack of a better term off the top of my head) were all people that were previously in positions to know about these kinds of terms and theories, whether they turn out to be true or not.

The JJJ thing isn't the same thing at all.

Come on, this is obviously the intent by casting him.

It isn't really up for debate that they were teasing this being Fox Pietro.

You use the word "obviously" and declare that it "isn't up for debate" but the fact is Evan Peters was not obligated to accept the role. What you're saying here is tantamount to making the claim that had Evan Peters declined the role... a good portion of the back half of this show would have to be rewritten to work. Because if his casting is "obviously" intended to hint at the Fox Universe connecting... then there would have to be big changes to make that same suggestion if he turns it down.

And if Marvel is using the actor casting as the tie in to a multi-verse that includes Fox's X-Men... that also ties them into Fox's casting for those characters. I feel like Marvel absolutely doesn't want to do that. And by not connecting directly to Fox's Universe... it gives them the freedom to pick and choose whether they want to tap those actors to portray the roles again. I mean, people love Fassbender as Magneto but there are plenty of actors from the Fox films that may not want to return or that Marvel may not be keen on in those roles.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, the whole relationship feels...unfleshed out to me. Beyond the particulars of the scene, we skipped over a whole lot of their relationship, and this showing of grief so immense as to change an entire town feels...at least a little unearned.

We literally watched her have to kill Vision traumatically only for Thanos to undo it and kill him again in front of her.

You could see the utter grief there

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Wait does the Wanda resurrected vision has a infinity stone on his head or nah ? Because of he does... she can materialize infinity stones 🤔

I guess when you think about it, if Thanos used the stones to destroy the stones, why can't the stones be used to create stones too?

And since Wanda's powers appear to be amplified in some way by the Mind stone, I could see it being possible for her to create more stones, but I imagine the effort would probably kill her. She might be able to survive creating a single stone, but I wonder how much that would take out of her. She is insanely powerful...

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
This was such a good episode. Fantastic work from Elizabeth Olsen.

My girlfriend had tears streaming down her cheeks throughout most of the episode.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's not out of story. The accuracy of the terms he uses is just one of the many things that the MCU uses to stay true to the comics. The character and his minions (for lack of a better term off the top of my head) were all people that were previously in positions to know about these kinds of terms and theories, whether they turn out to be true or not.
That sounds like a leap of logic, Ant Man, and Strange might have heard of those terminology who are discovering these extradimensional regions, but I wouldn't assume these hologram technicians were in the position, that Beck's fabrications would match up with the exact terminology.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'm hoping Hayward is somehow Ultron and got to finally create his Vision
Nah with Hayward, he is WYSISYG.

He's an asshole that wants a weapon. They even flat out told you in his first scene.

He talks about building weapons, it's all he is interested in. Monica points out that the acronym stands for Observation and Response. Hayward shrugs it off.

Truth is I understand his point Blip. But he's still an asshole.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with this part. Agatha wants to know HOW she was doing it. Because she wants to do it too.

She was shocked that Wanda had no training. She had figured that Wanda was a super experienced witch who had figured out how to do spells she didn't know.

Agatha is shown basically eating magical energy at the beginning of the the episode. She seems to get stronger as it happens (which actually goes against the the Dr Strange yes. Magic for the Sorcerers are about skill and understanding. It seems that witches have some innate understanding of magic but still need training.)

The trope of the person born with magic but needs training is an old one. But based on the gifs from earlier from Thor Ragnork and the most recent episode shows that magic has some rules, and Wanda breaking them.

And that freaks Agatha out to the point that she makes it a hostage situation.

It calls back to the opening scene. Magic used in "incorrect" ways by Agatha required her to be punished. She pleaded to not be and her own mother was drained and killed.

Now Agatha is telling Wanda that she isn't allowed to use her magic that way.

I do agree and I realize I misspoke. What I was actually thinking of was motive more than anything else. Like, there's no evidence of a Greater-Scope Villain, it doesn't seem like Agatha has some kind of grand plan that Wanda's a part of. Quite simply, she's intrigued and freaked out by Wanda's sheer magical power and wants to know where it comes from and how a novice could do so much, most likely so that she can take or consume that power for herself. And she was attempting to goad it out by playing along with the sitcom schtick but is jumping on now to more actively figure her out. And next week we'll see what her ultimate takeaway is now that she's aware of the "mythical" thing before her.

It doesn't change anything in the grand scheme of things, but sure I guess...

Not saying one can't be disappointed whatsoever for Pietro specifically, I get it. I'm just saying the whole idea of people being mad over another fakeout is silly because we're still getting multiverse stuff. A fakeout only hurts me personally if I knew they were never going to delve into the multiverse, or ever introduce the X-Men. But that's just me lol

With the general acceptance that the X-Men are going to be rebooted for the MCU, it seems like there's this increasing fan-hope that they're actually going to somehow meld at least some part of the FoX-Men into it instead, especially with the popular characters like Peters' Quicksilver. So what my have just been intended as a casting gag inadvertently fuels this hype, a hype that is only doomed to deflate.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
That sounds like a leap of logic, Ant Man, and Strange might have heard of those terminology who are discovering these extradimensional regions, but I wouldn't assume these hologram technicians were in the position, that Beck's lie would match up with the exact terminology.

The people in Mysterios group were far more than "hologram technicians." Some of them were the best and brightest from Stark Industries that were disgruntled because they never got credit or recognition for the roles they played in the creation of the technology in play in the World. And most importantly they all worked as a unit (even if Quinton was an ass of a leader). So those that would have had the scientific knowledge of the terms for such theories would have absolutely shared that with those in charge of creating the stories to sell the lie. Because ultimately they didn't just have to sell that lie to Peter but to SHIELD.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Used to dislike Kathryn Hahn back then because she always has kind of a weird mannerism for me. But i grew fond of her over the years.
She is an absolut lovely blast now and one of the highlights of WV. Didn't knew she was Ock in spiderverse.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Crackpot theory: Wanda will expand the hex all over the world so her children will continue to live and will make the mutants, hex-men.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

You are over thinking it.

You use the word "obviously" and declare that it "isn't up for debate" but the fact is Evan Peters was not obligated to accept the role. What you're saying here is tantamount to making the claim that had Evan Peters declined the role... a good portion of the back half of this show would have to be rewritten to work. Because if his casting is "obviously" intended to hint at the Fox Universe connecting... then there would have to be big changes to make that same suggestion if he turns it down.

Your Over Thinking It.

And if Marvel is using the actor casting as the tie in to a multi-verse that includes Fox's X-Men... that also ties them into Fox's casting for those characters. I feel like Marvel absolutely doesn't want to do that. And by not connecting directly to Fox's Universe... it gives them the freedom to pick and choose whether they want to tap those actors to portray the roles again. I mean, people love Fassbender as Magneto but there are plenty of actors from the Fox films that may not want to return or that Marvel may not be keen on in those roles.
YOU ARE OVER THINKING IT!!!

This is not a David Lynch movie.

This is not a JJ Abrams mystery box.

This is the MCU.

The whole point of this series has been about Wanda and her grief. All she wants is to have a perfect life with Vision cuz her life sucked.

The twins are her happy as a family that she wishes she could have had.

And everything that was tearing down her illusion was always Agatha.

A person who wanted to steal her abilities.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
You are over thinking it.

Your Over Thinking It.

YOU ARE OVER THINKING IT!!!

This is not a David Lynch movie.

This is not a JJ Abrams mystery box.

This is the MCU.

The whole point of this series has been about Wanda and her grief. All she wants is to have a perfect life with Vision cuz her life sucked.

The twins are her happy as a family that she wishes she could have had.

And everything that was tearing down her illusion was always Agatha.

A person who wanted to steal her abilities.

Maybe I'm a missing something but... nothing that you just posted has literally anything to do with what I was discussing. So... in the case that I am missing something, could you extrapolate on how my discussion about whether or not the Casting of Evan Peters was a "tease" of a multiverse has anything to do with the primary thrust of the plot of Wandavision?

Aside from that, I agree with what you're saying here in general. I just don't see how it has anything to do with the conversation I was having there.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread, but Hayward's conversation to Wanda at Sword HQ was very weird; like his lines were so leading I wasn't sure if it was mind control or Agatha pretending to be Hayward. "We don't all have the power to bring back the dead" (paraphrasing) at the time sounded like a straight up "well we can't do it your way"?
He was trying to subtly goad her into trying to bring Vision back to life.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's more curiosity than jealousy. She mentioned just how ridiculously complicated it would be for someone to weave so many different spells together to effectively rewrite the town and even the people in it and, yeah, the power required to pull something like this off is remarkable but...

I think she wants to help Wanda. She knows what it's like to have access to magic nobody will teach you how to use. She's seen all of the trauma Wanda has gone through, the bad choices she's made and the pain that drives her.

I think the reason Agatha is doing all this is to force Wanda to accept reality - to accept that Vision is gone, that her twin sons aren't real and that nobody in Westview belongs in Wanda's imaginary perfect world.

Once Wanda accepts these facts and removes the Hex, perhaps Agatha can teach her how to use her powers properly so this sort of thing doesn't happen again. In that sense Agatha would be doing something that, really, only she can do - showing Wanda a path out of the forest she's lost in.

Yes. Agatha is knowingly or unknowingly making Wanda face her grief. I wonder if Agatha herself is trapped in the Hex. Her mentioning of costumes suggests she too has her clothes and look change everytime the sitcom changes eras but she somehow still has more agency.

I think at the end Wanda has to choose between going with Strange or Agatha but ultimately choses Strange instead. It might turn out that Strange is unable to help Wanda, and she switches sides in a Dr Strange 2 post credit scene, going back to Agatha instead.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Random thought: No one survived the experiments with the Tessaract, except Pietro and Wanda. We know now part of that survival is because Wanda already had a little something in the tank prior.

So, in the absence of mutants: did Wanda provide a little juice to save her brother, giving him powers?

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the last TV thread was on Era that reached 20 k posts.
I just checked and Game of Thrones season 8 had two OTs both reach 20k then a third OT make it to around 17k. Not to mention a spoiler thread for that season that got up to 17k as well. Goddamn people were thirsty for that show. Don't think anything else has come close.

Dragon Ball Super had a bunch of threads reach 20k as well but not entirely sure if that counts

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I am going to need a wisecrack break down for that one lol

Stark toaster during the Dick Van Dyke pastiche because her parents were killed while they were watching Dick Van Dyke. Hence red flashing light on toaster matching blinking red light. First Trauma

Strucker Watch = being recruited by Baron Von Strucker. You can make a connection that experimentation and her realizing she had powers started here so that's why she associates it with Bewitched and thus that pastiche

Hydra Soap is her full integration into Hyrda and knee deep in their experimentation, believing their lies, believing she coukd change, dare I say, clean up the world. Soap works here for her motivations for working for Hydra and for the fact that an element of brainwashing by Hydra got her to buy in. It's associated with Brady Bunch pastiche as that's what she watched a lot in confinement between experiments.

Chronologically these two represent trauma of regret for believing in the lies of Strucker and Hydra and also the loss of her brother... but worth noting the commercials don't address Pietro largely because that trauma is so deep seated that even bringing it up wrecks her hold on the tv reality temporarily.

The next is Lagos paper towel. This one is the most on the nose, it's the trauma Wanda experienced when her attempt to control a bomb explosion went aray and triggered Civil War. Tag line literally references cleaning up messes you didn't mean to make

Now there's no direct tie in to the Family Ties pastiche and time will tell if Wanda pulled Pietro from the FoX-Men universe and Agatha merely controlled him or if Agatha is entirely responsible for Pietro appearing.

If it is Wanda's doing Family Ties serves nicely because it's literally about Wanda reestablishing a family tie at the end.

From this point on btw is when Agatha really starts to take over and fuck with Wanda

So the next commercials aren't pure Wanda Trauma but manifestations of Agatha's psyche

Yo Magic is literally what Agatha does, she feeds off other people's Magic, the kid in the commercial before he turns to bone looks similar to how the witches Agatha killed looked like when they died, and also is a hint at future trauma for Wanda as good chance Agatha wants to dtain Wanda's magic.

Malcolm in the Middle pastiche here is a bit out of trauma continuity because it's this show she associates with the trauma of losing Pietro and working through it with Vision

Butttt it works because the previous episode basically ends with Wanda accepting that Pietro isn't Pietro so now her world is able to go to that trauma and address it

Nexus Antidepressants, i mean the obvious is everything in this world is a product of Wanda's depression, and Nexus is a hint at Agatha's home and potentially that Wanda is a Nexus being.

Now why Modern Family pastiche? I kind of wonder if this wasn't more Agatha's doing, it's a sitcom trapping ripe for enabling manipulation and destabilization as it literally involves fake documentary crews and 4th wall breakingish stuff.

Also interesting that the modern family pastiche actually follows Agatha with Wanda's kids, might be the first time a scene in sitcom world is seen without Wanda or Vision present (though maybe some with Pietro in the previous episode not sure) and of course Agatha is literally able to trigger the Munsters pastiche at the end.

So there ya go

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'd really like it if Agatha is Wanda's main villain going forward, I know it's been done but the fact they are very similar is great to me and it really solidifies Scarlet Witch as a hero in her own right with her own origin story, name and villain.

Agatha's line about not breaking the rules but the rules bending to her power was pretty cool and powerful, it really shows how her and Wanda are similar, powerful witches who's power causes others to fear and hate them for reasons they can't control.

It shows what Wanda would become if she had gone down that dark path she had been following had she not joined the avengers

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
Man these reveals were pretty lame.

1) So Wanda was apparently special all along and had magic powers since she was a kid. Even though Agatha and Doctor Strange specifically explain you need to learn magic to use it.

This was speculation on Agatha's part. She insinuated that the missile wasn't defective like Wanda believed. Agatha is asserting that Wanda has always been a witch. I think she is wrong there too, she very well might end up being a mutant — powers activated at or around puberty (which could very well be 10-11 in some girls) and also having been augmented further by the mind stone.

2) Hydra's experimentation was to lock people in a room and make them touch the mind stone, which apparently killed them all (except for Wanda and Pietro)? Meanwhile, multiple people make direct contact with the mind stone when Loki stabs them with it to mind control them in Avengers and nothing happened to them.

They're not touching the mind stone when Loki is using the scepter to mind control people. They're being touched by the scepter which itself is being used by a magic user and demigod (Loki).

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
The mind stone showing Wanda her being "The Scarlet Witch" and them teasing this outfit in character posters makes me believe we gonna see her at the end of the last episode in the Scarlet Witch outfit.

With this being the case i feel like she will have a either antagonist persona leading into Multiverse Of Madness or she could be trained by Doctor Strange because her hands look like stuff Strange would do to cast magic.

when Agatha's mom maxes her powers trying to stop her, she has a blue headpiece like Scarlet Wtch's costume headpiece, so when Wanda goes OP it will likely just appear on her.

bloop.png