• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes the simplest explanation is also the least interesting.

Giving Wanda a power buff and bringing back Vision would be important for phase 4, sure, but did it really require 6 hours of content?
It's the journey, not the destination. They could have done all this off screen like Smart Hulk.

But WandaVision is top 5 things in the MCU easily.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
It's really obvious what happened

Wanda was grieving, for the 3rd time in recent memory, after having been "dead" for 5 years to boot.

She was holding on and seeking closure and had she been able to properly take Vision's body and bury it, she'd have been ok

But Hayward showing Vision cut apart and being mutilated, completely unraveled her psyche, all the trauma: her parents, her brother , Vision... all that grief took over and the final straw was the deed to the house, that promise, that dream, of a normal life with the love of her life. So in that empty shell of a dream, her grief manifested through her chaos magic.

She's not being controlled but she's not malevolent either

So a typical Scarlet Witch storyline

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Wanda is powerful as fuck. They implied the mind stone only enhanced powers she already had. Meaning...she's a mutant? Born with powers.

And she has the power of creation. She created her own Vision. She created her own kids. Vision has independent thoughts, and powers. At least one of her kids has powers.

....She's going to create the X-Men, isn't she 😶

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wanda is powerful as fuck. They implied the mind stone only enhanced powers she already had. Meaning...she's a mutant? Born with powers.

And she has the power of creation. She created her own Vision. She created her own kids. Vision has independent thoughts, and powers. At least one of her kids has powers.

....She's going to create the X-Men, isn't she 😶

She showed abilities at like 7 years old. Mutants have abilities at puberty, so it's not saying she's a mutant, it's saying she's a Witch. Agatha says she cast a hex.

One of the points of the opening scene is to show that magic is somewhat hereditary (agatha and her mother)

She could still be a mutant and a witch, but all the show is really showing us right now is that she is innately gifted at magic.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
So a typical Scarlet Witch storyline
We like to think of super heroes as somehow not human, like, superior to human. But, what if, in the end, they actually are quite human?

Say one has a mental breakdown due to trauma. Let's also say that the same super hero can also bend reality to their will.

It seems to me that this is exactly playing out like what would happen in such a scenario. If only there was somebody with the same kind of power that could help reign her in!

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think she can stop
Yeah it's like a mental illness. Most of the time she is completely disassociated with reality. It takes an extreme reality check like her husband dying outside the barrier or a witch forcing her to relive her past to actually get her to face reality at this point.

I'm not excusing her behavior but she is obviously not well.

Yeah, the show is actually fully committing with grief-stricken Wanda building the entire Hex unabated.

And y'know, "grief-stricken woman can't handle losing her mens" is both not great and an unfortunate staple of Scarlet Witch stories, but dammit this episode does do a really good job really selling her grief in a sympathetic way. It's really easy to see her at the empty lot as a woman that's just spent most of her life getting beaten down over and over again.

And the Hex itself being this big explosion, Wanda ultimately letting it all out in one subconscious burst and then seemingly just rolling in with her glamour....between that and the aforementioned trauma conga line and there might well be something of a salvaging point for her, even if it does gleam more into the comics side of things than desired. We'll see what happens with Westview - hopefully that isn't just swept under the rug.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
She showed abilities at like 7 years old. Mutants have abilities at puberty, so it's not saying she's a mutant, it's saying she's a Witch. Agatha says she cast a hex.

One of the points of the opening scene is to show that magic is somewhat hereditary (agatha and her mother)

She could still be a mutant and a witch, but all the show is really showing us right now is that she is innately gifted at magic.

Mutants can't have abilities before puberty?

Either way I think they could definitely pull in the X-men this way if they wanted to.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
This episode was a ham-fisted exposition dump of the worst kind but it's also necessary. I still enjoy the show.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Well now I don't know what's happening/gonna happen in the season finale now

I'm guessing we are in a parallel episode because a previous episode showed Wanda taking Visions body
Or she played us all along from the start?

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A friend pointed out that Amazon Prime has the Dick Van Dyke show streaming with ads, including Season 2, episode 21. I watched it, and I thought it was pretty funny, even if Kid Wanda spoiled the ending.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Superbowl 2020 trailer vs. aired episode.

98ynw7g.jpg

XGcA94E.jpg

Man, Vision lost some weight. I was wondering why his face looked off in that scene today. Any idea why they would specifically do this?

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Either way I think they could definitely pull in the X-men this way if they wanted to.

Typically no, it manifests at puberty, it's part of the central theme of the concept. Though we might see that change with the MCU.

I don't really see her being the source of mutants, another one of the central themes is that they've been here for ages and oppressed, just having someone magic them into existence undercuts things.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Yeah, the show is actually fully committing with grief-stricken Wanda building the entire Hex unabated.

And y'know, "grief-stricken woman can't handle losing her mens" is both not great and an unfortunate staple of Scarlet Witch stories, but dammit this episode does do a really good job really selling her grief in a sympathetic way. It's really easy to see her at the empty lot as a woman that's just spent most of her life getting beaten down over and over again.

And the Hex itself being this big explosion, Wanda ultimately letting it all out in one subconscious burst and then seemingly just rolling in with her glamour....between that and the aforementioned trauma conga line and there might well be something of a salvaging point for her, even if it does gleam more into the comics side of things than desired. We'll see what happens with Westview - hopefully that isn't just swept under the rug.
I hope they go full in with the mental breakdown aspect honestly. Because otherwise she's just torturing poor souls for her own petty wants. They need to actually address this directly, otherwise I think it makes it hard to continue to see her as a hero. I mean sure I think they have laid it out pretty well, but judging by this thread, a lot of people still don't quite get that she's no longer in control of herself.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

There are some pretty big exceptions, though. Nightcrawler had his physical manifestations (but not his powers) from birth. And so did Storm (bright blue eyes with cat pupils). And others like Leech even got their powers early.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
There are some pretty big exceptions, though. Nightcrawler had his physical manifestations (but not his powers) from birth. And so did Storm (bright blue eyes with cat pupils). And others like Leech even got their powers early.
Storm having blue eyes and white hair is independent of her being a mutant.

Those features are because she descends from a line of witches and is a witch herself.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Typically no, it manifests at puberty, it's part of the central theme of the concept. Though we might see that change with the MCU.

I don't really see her being the source of mutants, another one of the central themes is that they've been here for ages and oppressed, just having someone magic them into existence undercuts things.
I am no comic reader I admit but at least in the movie verse there are exceptions? Like child Jean Grey was basically a goddess before puberty in the movies. She was destroying a whole neighborhood and disabling two of the most powerful mutants in existence.

Edit: Or maybe she did hit puberty, I just remember she was quite young.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Had some sad moments but it felt like stuff they should have sprinkled throughout the season, it felt incredibly cheesy. Also putting White Vision way after the credits is a great way for people to miss it, especially after a mid-credits stinger last episode giving people the impression they'd put them in the middle if they exist.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am no comic reader I admit but at least in the movie verse there are exceptions? Like child Jean Grey was basically a goddess long before puberty in the movies. She was destroying a whole neighborhood and disabling two of the most powerful mutants in existence.

According to IMDB the actress was 14 when the movie released.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
Had some sad moments but it felt like stuff they should have sprinkled throughout the season, it felt incredibly cheesy. Also putting White Vision way after the credits is a great way for people to miss it, especially after a mid-credits stinger last episode giving people the impression they'd put them in the middle if they exist.

Agree. This episode was a huge miss after the last few being solid. Just a big boring plot dump.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I am no comic reader I admit but at least in the movie verse there are exceptions? Like child Jean Grey was basically a goddess long before puberty in the movies. She was destroying a whole neighborhood and disabling two of the most powerful mutants in existence.

Edit: Or maybe she she did hit puberty, I just remember she was quite young.
It varies in the comics, too. Jean's powers actually manifested before puberty when her friend died a car accident.

I think Wolverine was pre-pubescent when he first popped his claws, too. Xavier was an infant when his powers first manifested to fight his twin sister that was the physical manifestation of his innate negativity in the womb. Yes, that sentence is weird and comics are weird and it'll never happen in a movie.

Or if they do, they'll make it his regular twin sister who's just a fucked up person.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they go full in with the mental breakdown aspect honestly. Because otherwise she's just torturing poor souls for her own petty wants. They need to actually address this directly, otherwise I think it makes it hard to continue to see her as a hero. I mean sure I think they have laid it out pretty well, but judging by this thread, a lot of people still don't quite get that she's no longer in control of herself.

I brought it up before that one of the few ways she wouldn't be completely irredeemable was if she was completely insane, and this episode actually seems to be suggesting it to a degree: the Hex is an instant explosion of glamour, Wanda almost immediately falls straight into playing her role in the illusion, and her behavior in the previous episodes in retrospect come off as toeing the line between dissociative amnesia, repressed memories, and willful ignorance.

The issue I see however is that it hasn't really been sold that she's fully going coo-coo, and there's still some degree of fault since she still just rolled with it.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Storm having blue eyes and white hair is independent of her being a mutant.

Those features are because she descends from a line of witches and is a witch herself.

Oh, I didn't realize that. But:

I am no comic reader I admit but at least in the movie verse there are exceptions? Like child Jean Grey was basically a goddess before puberty in the movies. She was destroying a whole neighborhood and disabling two of the most powerful mutants in existence.

...actually, that reminds me, 616 Jean DID get her powers as a child. There was the thing with her friend and the car wreck.

edit: Oh, and Cable had his telekinesis as a baby. And Madrox got slapped on the butt at birth and immediately multiplied. Which is the most Peter David detail ever written.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

And y'know, "grief-stricken woman can't handle losing her mens" is both not great and an unfortunate staple of Scarlet Witch stories, but dammit this episode does do a really good job really selling her grief in a sympathetic way.
It's really easy to see her at the empty lot as a woman that's just spent most of her life getting beaten down over and over again.

A large part of it is she isn't being manipulated. People forget that House of M happened because in Wanda's grief, pain and growing insanity... Quicksilver told her to do it.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah ok then, she probably had hit puberty.

But I'm pretty sure at the school there was some young mutants there. But again, puberty can hit at really young ages.

Yes, and there are some exceptions. But even then, Agatha is sure she cast a hex, that's not a mutant power, that's witchcraft. Of course she could just be wrong too.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I didn't realize that. But:

...actually, that reminds me, 616 Jean DID get her powers as a child. There was the thing with her friend and the car wreck.

edit: Oh, and Cable had his telekinesis as a baby. And Madrox got slapped on the butt at birth and immediately multiplied. Which is the most Peter David detail ever written.
Yeah, Jean's powers manifested watching her friend get into a car accident, and then her telepathy started to pick up her friend's dying thoughts, which is why Chuck took her in and turned off her telepathy.

Also, Madrox isn't a mutant mutant; he's a Proto-Mutant offshoot, which is why his powers came earlier. I mean, he's still a mutant, just not one with a "genetically refined" mutant gene.

Another way of saying hereditary witch?

Witchbreed.
The Witchbreed are what the olden folk and old timey magic using cults from Colonial days call mutants.

edit: Looking back, it seems that that was your point.

xeris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A friend pointed out that Amazon Prime has the Dick Van Dyke show streaming with ads, including Season 2, episode 21. I watched it, and I thought it was pretty funny, even if Kid Wanda spoiled the ending.

Been skipping thru the thread from today and dunno if I missed it, but I thought the sit-com episodes they picked were pretty fitting. This probably isn't spoilers but in case it is

Going by memory, The Dick Van Dyke episode is more or less a take on Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I found it hella creepy as a kid even with the "just a dream" ending.

The Brady Bunch one is where Cindy's doll gets destroyed by the carelessness of one of her brothers and they buy her a new one. Cindy rejects it since it isn't the same as HER doll.

Never watched MitM so no idea where that fits in.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well now I don't know what's happening/gonna happen in the season finale now

I'm guessing we are in a parallel episode because a previous episode showed Wanda taking Visions body
Or she played us all along from the start?

Watch that scene again, and you'll notice this time around that we didn't actually see her take the body. The footage is altered after she breaks the glass and lands near his body

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Whoa this episode was a ride. I didn't mind the "exposition dump" at all. The whole series was leading to this kind of reveal.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Actually. I have been thinking about the whole mutant and X-Men stuff. And do you want to know why it should NOT be part of Wandavision?

Because it makes the story less about Wanda. People will be talking about "Woah mutants!" "Woah X-Men!" And then this story that is about grief and dealing with it becomes weaker because that's not what most people will remember.

They would remember "Hey that's where the MCU X-Men started"

Honestly, it would diminish so much of this series for it to just be a "backdoor pilot" for getting mutants in the MCU.

laikalot

May 30, 2020

Unless we have completely different versions, both stinger scenes have been in the same spot, which is right after the animated credits end.