• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Did I get the name of the city wrong? It's more likely than you think. 😂
Westview

I think it's likely it could be like a New Salem. I think there is some kind of magical reason why Westview is at the center of the Hex from Agatha's basement, and there are plenty of people in Westview that seem sus that may suggest there are plenty of witches, warlocks, and sorcerers chilling there. Maybe that is something Wanda already knew about and why she decided to go to Westview of all places?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Rewatching all the episodes and Monica never said the astrophysicist would be the one to meet her. She just said that she knew someone who would love to tackle the problem she just explained.

Yeah it stuck out to me that the person she was texting isnt necessarily the woman that showed up with the rover. She referred to him as "my guy" but that could have just been a fakeout or something but why?

I'm still not giving up on the idea that it was Adam Brashear she was texting with, discussing the issue because developing protections against cosmic/extradimensional radiation is kind of his thing, no? He just wasn't necessarily the one to deliver the vehicle, maybe it was simply his suggestion to try using it.

Yeah I am expecting some really interesting stuff from Loki.

I'm a little concerned about FatWS. I think it will have some strong action and themes, but it's probably going to be relatively safe when it comes to the structure & mystery.

Idk I'm gonna guess people are gonna start to lose their shit when the show starts to peel back the details on the Weapon Plus program and the possibility of a Wolverine mention or even appearance starts to become a thing in the weekly discussions

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking this episode will be a clip show, but like the clip shows from Community where it's all new footage.

"This is just like that time we created the Hex!" [cut to vignette showing that]

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth I do think FATWS is going to be good, especially if it does go as into the race discussion as the writers suggest they are. I just think it's going to suffer at least initially from people disappointed that it isn't Twin Peaks because people suck when it comes to patterns.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe it took me until this show to discover Kathryn Hahn, she's wonderful.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Just watched the 4th dimension episode, what a bust. I was really enjoying the story seeing wanda becoming a villain of sorts, then in typical disney fashion the last 5 mins of the episode all that was cleaned up, dumbed down to other villain. Wanda being a villain is too complicated and bad for the Avengers brand or something, lame sauce. Hoping my hot take is wrong, and things are fleshed out in the remaining few episodes but I'm on the fence now...

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Falcon and the Winter Soldier seems like they took the can you move your seat up joke and made an entire show out of it and I don't see any scenario where that's not a good thing
UFhEgzs.gif

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Falcon and the Winter Soldier seems like they took the can you move your seat up joke and made an entire show out of it and I don't see any scenario where that's not a good thing

Oh they're definitely doing the sassy buddy cop thing. Those two were funny as heck together in Civil War.

"You couldn't do that earlier?"
"I hate you."

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I think this show would have been 500% better if they had held the Sword/FBI plot a little longer. Had they kept up with weird stuff happening and the first time we see the FBI is a brief glimpse of Rambeau being ejected and then Vision walking out of the Hex it would have been a much better time up till now. So far the outside the Hex stuff has just been overly-explainy exposition as to what we've already seen and added little to the experience but detracted from the spooky/mystery stuff.

I'm liking it, but this is like meeting the others and finding out who they are 3 episodes into Lost. Letting the mystery simmer a bit longer *especially* when the payoff is fairly self-explanatory inside the Hex feels like I'm being treated like an idiot.

Like, did I need them to tell me the people on the edge of town are barely moving right before I see them not moving with Vision and then see him leave town? Like, there was a really well shot suspenseful scene that had its legs cut right out from under it.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Or...the character is not a villain. Marvel has plenty of villains they can explore, why turn an iconic Avenger who has been underutilized into one
I truly don't understand the obsession folks have with turning Wanda into a villain. It's not any more interesting than what they're doing and it reads like bad fanfic, and like you said, she's been super underutilized until now - let her shine for a bit. Also the idea of turning a grief stricken woman into a villain feels kinda gross.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I truly don't understand the obsession folks have with turning Wanda into a villain. It's not any more interesting than what they're doing and it reads like bad fanfic, and like you said, she's been super underutilized until now - let her shine for a bit. Also the idea of turning a grief stricken woman into a villain feels kinda gross.

Yep and she has been seen as a villain by the outside world since her first appearance, maybe rightfully so in the beginning, but she has done nothing but attempt to resolve that since then. She has made mistakes but that doesnt make her a villain and making her go full villain instead of having her rise up against folks like Hayward and Ross who want to label her as a destructive psycho would be wholly unsatisfying and just plain wrong.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Just watched the 4th dimension episode, what a bust. I was really enjoying the story seeing wanda becoming a villain of sorts, then in typical disney fashion the last 5 mins of the episode all that was cleaned up, dumbed down to other villain. Wanda being a villain is too complicated and bad for the Avengers brand or something, lame sauce. Hoping my hot take is wrong, and things are fleshed out in the remaining few episodes but I'm on the fence now...

I would say that a woman becoming evil due to grief is a really bad trope and I'm glad they sidestepped it.

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Or...the character is not a villain. Marvel has plenty of villains they can explore, why turn an iconic Avenger who has been underutilized into one

I truly don't understand the obsession folks have with turning Wanda into a villain. It's not any more interesting than what they're doing and it reads like bad fanfic, and like you said, she's been super underutilized until now - let her shine for a bit.

It's not an obsession, but the show led that on and then threw in a cheap "twist", meh. I didn't want Wanda to become a villain, just felt it happening to a character we know that was an avenger had more depth to the story, surrounding characters, and seeing a characters humanity and not being able to deal with loss vs "oh look, she was good all along, here's the real villain, gotcha huh, heroes always heroes."

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I remember the green lantern animated series did something like this. Gross is a good description.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
It's not an obsession, but the show led that on and then threw in a cheap "twist", meh. I didn't want Wanda to become a villain, just felt it happening to a character we know that was an avenger had more depth to the story, surrounding characters, and seeing a character appear to be human and not being able to deal with loss vs "oh look, she was good all along, here's the real villain, gotcha huh, heroes always heroes."
I would like an explanation on how Agatha is a cheap twist when it's been telegraphed from the start. And you're also making a lot of assumptions on how this is going to play out. You have no idea where this is going.

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I would like an explanation on how Agatha is a cheap twist when it's been telegraphed from the start. And you're also making a lot of assumptions on how this is going to play out. You have no idea where this is going.

I don't know where it's going which is why I said I'm sticking around to see where it goes. My initial impression as of the ending of the episode is, meh. Felt they had an interesting story arch going, now it's basic good vs evil, been there seen that for the last decade of MCU.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
But we have another woman villain. Anyways, I'm curious to see where it goes, just feels lacking in depth and a clean good vs evil trope.
Yes but the issue isn't a woman villain it's the cause of the villainy. We don't know what Agatha's motives are yet.

But if Wanda went evil because she was grieving it plays into the "Women can't handle thier emotions" trope which is an over used and really bad trope.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
Idk I'm gonna guess people are gonna start to lose their shit when the show starts to peel back the details on the Weapon Plus program and the possibility of a Wolverine mention or even appearance starts to become a thing in the weekly discussions

all they need to do is show a cctv clip/pic of a dude in a huge glass tank wearing that headpice with wires cnnected to his body and they will break the internet. They don't even need to drop any names. LOL

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017

Some people wanted this show to be 'dark and edgy' rather than a genuine exploration of trauma from an empathetic point of view.

I think a lot of people have trouble digesting trauma narratives in any nuanced way, especially when it involves female characters. It's pretty gross how much pop media has resorted to trauma as a way to easily turn a female character evil.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is though: Wanda IS doing something evil. She's either doing so because she's grieving and thus
manipulatable, or she's doing so because she's grieving and making an active choice to face (or flee) that grief.

Wanda will ultimately redeem herself either way, because that's the way these stories go. I'd rather that redemption arc be more "I made poor choices, and want to make up for them" and less "I was weak, and need to be stronger." I expect they'll be somewhere in-between (with Wanda starting things and Agatha pushing her too far), but I want them to lean toward the former more than the latter, because I find those sorts of characters more engaging.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Wanda being the antagonist (NOT THE SAME AS VILLAIN) would have honoured the comics while also making her a forceful character with her destiny in her own hands.

Conversely, making her someone being taken advantage of, YET AGAIN, makes her look weak and perpetually victimised, which is an even worse trope than "woman goes crazy".

I imagine the final answer behind her actions will lie somewhere between the two extremes outlined above. The writers are well aware of all the pitfalls they needed to avoid. It's too early for us to judge their writing of the character and her arc yet, even though I've jumped the gun a couple times already.

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
The thing is though: Wanda IS doing something evil. She's either doing so because she's grieving and thus
manipulatable, or she's doing so because she's grieving and making an active choice to face (or flee) that grief.

Wanda will ultimately redeem herself either way, because that's the way these stories go. I'd rather that redemption arc be more "I made poor choices, and want to make up for them" and less "I was weak, and need to be stronger." I expect they'll be somewhere in-between (with Wanda starting things and Agatha pushing her too far), but I want them to lean toward the former more than the latter, because I find those sorts of characters more engaging.

Agreed.

Right now, my gut reaction is its going to be "Agatha was the puppet master, Wanda was the victim". And this is a clean way to keep Wanda from really being a "villain", or having any responsibility with what's transpired. Hoping I'm wrong.