• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It was very weird of the show it have two scenes mentioning her friend, without naming her, in a way that made it very clear they wanted to keep it a surprise. Then it turned out to just be some rando they made up. There's no way they didn't realize that those scenes felt like a tease for a big reveal, right?
I always assumed it was a rando, some Skrull at best. The point of mentioning that it was a friend was a shortcut to explain how she got a custom multimillion dollar experimental craft in three days with just a text message.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, some thoughts. It seems very likely to me that Wanda is stuck on some sort of "deal with the devil" situation. Agatha brought Wanda to Westview so she could harness the interdimensional energies from the Nexus, amplifying her powers and allowing her to create the Hex. In turn, Agatha (or whatever entity she works with) would get to feed off the Hex's energy. If we go by the Ep 6 commercial, this deal will end badly for Wanda.

If the Nexus really is involved, then it's also likely that Westview's QS is really Fox QS, displaced from his dimension by Agatha.

Another random thought: if that creepy book really is the Darkhold, then it's possible Blade is the secret cameo everyone keeps talking about.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, some thoughts. It seems very likely to me that Wanda is stuck on some sort of "deal with the devil" situation. Agatha brought Wanda to Westview so she could harness the interdimensional energies from the Nexus, amplifying her powers and allowing her to create the Hex. In turn, Agatha (or whatever entity she works with) would get to feed off the Hex's energy. If we go by the Ep 6 commercial, this deal will end badly for Wanda.

If the Nexus really is involved, then it's also likely that Westview's QS is really Fox QS, displaced from his dimension by Agatha.

Another random thought: if that creepy book really is the Darkhold, then it's possible Blade is the secret cameo everyone keeps talking about.

That would break the internet

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose the references to the oppressive male hierarchy and conservative fear mongering are just part of the homage charm too?

Could this also be part of the general 80s ethos in the initial SWORD tent set up episode, where it definitely seemed like an 80s action movie in terms of dialogue?

Even if it were referencing those specific items, it still is not bound to be commentary or criticism. Acknowledgement is sometimes just that. Thinking about it for a split second, it would be in line with the homage to play it completely straight like entertainment from that era.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Okay with two episodes left I want to give my predictions on what's left to come. These are all mostly baseless, other than reading lots of opinions online and watching the trailers.

-I think episode 8 will have a lot of flashbacks. I think we'll see a clip of Wanda in HYDRA custody (from the trailer) and when she broke into SWORD.

-I think we'll get an Agatha flashback. I think we will see her date back to the Salem Witch Trials.

-I think Peter is indeed X-Men Peter, as others have said, I think (and hope) we'll get a Time in a Bottle slow motion scene with him. I think he and the two kids will survive.

-I think Dr. Strange will be more than just a cameo in the final episode.

-I think the post-credit scene will tease Spider-Man 3. They did some reshoots a few months ago, and I bet they filmed at least one extra thing to adjust for Strange 2 not being the next multiverse movie anymore.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Could this also be part of the general 80s ethos in the initial SWORD tent set up episode, where it definitely seemed like an 80s action movie in terms of dialogue?

Even if it were referencing those specific items, it still is not bound to be commentary or criticism. Acknowledgement is sometimes just that. Thinking about it for a split second, it would be in line with the homage to play it completely straight like entertainment from that era.

But its not played completely straight, that's the problem. In truth, so far the series has done the typical Marvel thing where the belief that simply mentioning an issue once is the same as actually examining it. You know, like when The Winter Soldier brings up the idea of freedom v. security; or when Thor: Ragnarok brings up colonialism; or when Black Panther brings up racism, slavery, and colonialism. All these films, and others, merely touch on theses subjects but never examine them because to do so would be to get "too political" and disrupt the fun, family friendly atmosphere the films go for.

Now, there is nothing with family friendly fun. But, why bring up such incredibly important and complex subjects if you don't seek to actually examine them? If you want Captain America to just punch Nazis, then have him do just that. Do not attempt to bring up discussion about post-9/11 America and the rise of the surveillance state. To me, it just rings so hollow when these subjects are touched on without any serious examination, as if to create a false sense of depth because you don't want to admit you just want to have fun. Its having your cake and eating it too.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
But its not played completely straight, that's the problem. In truth, so far the series has done the typical Marvel thing where the belief that simply mentioning an issue once is the same as actually examining it. You know, like when The Winter Soldier brings up the idea of freedom v. security; or when Thor: Ragnarok brings up colonialism; or when Black Panther brings up racism, slavery, and colonialism. All these films, and others, merely touch on theses subjects but never examine them because to do so would be to get "too political" and disrupt the fun, family friendly atmosphere the films go for.

Now, there is nothing with family friendly fun. But, why bring up such incredibly important and complex subjects if you don't seek to actually examine them? If you want Captain America to just punch Nazis, then have him do just that. Do not attempt to bring up discussion about post-9/11 America and the rise of the surveillance state. To me, it just rings so hollow when these subjects are touched on without any serious examination, as if to create a false sense of depth because you don't want to admit you just want to have fun. Its having your cake and eating it too.

The examination does get lost in translation from page to script to screen...but that in and of itself doesn't mean anything. Touching a subject briefly doesn't have to signal an intent to examine or criticize.

The ideas you're bringing up are explicit references to sometimes topical subjects but also meant to lead the audience to posit how the characters react to/think of/work within or against — and for those familiar with the comics to compare the film iterations with the comic portrayals.

Sometimes it really just is entertainment. We only attach what meaning we'd like to it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
"X-Men" isn't gonna be a concept in the MCU for the next 3-5 years at least. The team will probably form over the course of a few movies/series like the Avengers did.
I actually doubt that. X-Men are not the Avengers. The Avengers was the first attempt of Marvel Comics (I mean in the 60s) to have a fully shared universe.

The X-Men was team book from day one. It doesn't need the same type of build up.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
There's gonna be a lot of very disappointed people when the last episode airs and all these crazy things they've cooked up in their heads don't end up happening.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
There's gonna be a lot of very disappointed people when the last episode airs and all these crazy things they've cooked up in their heads don't end up happening.

On one hand, I agree with you because I really don't think anything X-Men is coming, but on the other hands, Marvel made the very deliberate decision of casting Quicksilver from the X-Men movies to play Quicksilver.

Oct 26, 2017
So I skimmed through the thread since the new episode and do people really think that Agatha is an actual villain/outside force here? To me it was, like, painfully obvious that Wanda just gave Agatha that role so as to continue to relieve herself of any responsibility for her actions. The song is so on the nose with the idea that Agatha has been the one behind basically every single bad thing. I kind of thought they were laying it on too thick, if anything...

I feel like I'm on a totally different wavelength regarding this compared to most posts here.
This was my take as well.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
-I think the post-credit scene will tease Spider-Man 3. They did some reshoots a few months ago, and I bet they filmed at least one extra thing to adjust for Strange 2 not being the next multiverse movie anymore.
Well Far From Home takes places after WandaVision anyway, so I doubt they would do reshoots if there's a shuffle in release dates.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
7c9a08aac944df08710707a416320d0e1b9b5650.jpg

I just saw this meme.

RedEye

Oct 25, 2017
Loving the show, news rockstar new video has me thinking Monica's aerospace contact might be the skrull she knew as a kid

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Then of course, the final episode will "suck" because the X-Men/Blade/Galactus/Paste-Pot-Pete don't make their appearance.
don't be silly

of COURSE paste-pot-pete is showing up, did you not see all the signs? they're everywhere and so so obvious and it's a foregone conclusion at this point, probably even boring to be honest, it would be a twist if he didn't show up

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
For the record, I don't think Evan Peters' Quicksilver will stick around. I think either by the end of the show or during Doctor Strange 2 he'll go back to his home dimension.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
What if Ralph was really Agatha's husband and she wants to get him back? If she just wanted to leach Wanda's powers why screw with her, why not indulger her in her fantasy and keep everything running smoothly? Maybe Agnes noticed Wanda had somehow gotten Vision back so she started testing her, Wanda having kids, killing the dog and flat out asking "You can do that?" when the twins say she can bring back the dead and manipulating Vision into leaving the hex almost killing him could all have been tests about the extent of Wanda's powers when it comes to creating or extending life or reversing death. Even Pietro could have been more than a distraction, maybe Wanda was supposed to realize he wasn't real but having spend time with the fake ine could have led to her bringing the real one back.

I think this sounds likely. However, Agatha makes it sound like Ralph is still around, so maybe she's trying to revive someone else (her son?).

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018

So basically 40 minutes of actual show not including the recap and credits. Nice!

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah I've watched the Monica going through the Hex sequence over 10 times now so yeah I've come to the conclusion that it's my favorite moment in the series so far.

Oct 27, 2017
USA

So basically 40 minutes of actual show not including the recap and credits. Nice!

Which means the last episode would be 1 hour to hit their 6 hour runtime (assuming they include the credits/recap in that 6 hour metric)

If you add up all the episode run times so far you get 253 minutes, add 47 (Episode 8) and you get an even 300 minutes or 5 hours.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Which means the last episode would be 1 hour to hit their 6 hour runtime (assuming they include the credits/recap in that 6 hour metric)

If you add up all the episode run times so far you get 253 minutes, add 47 (Episode 8) and you get an even 300 minutes or 5 hours.

I'm fully expecting the "six hour" thing to be a rounded-up deal, with maybe 5.5-5.75 hours in total for the show.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017

It makes sense. The reason I bought the rumors about the length of the final two episodes, especially after watching the most recent episode, is I think the "sitcom" part of the show is over. Sitcoms are almost always 30 minute shows.

Also, the look of the show is extremely different when you're in the real world. It's not just the fact that it's widescreen (and a cinematic widescreen to boot). It's the lenses, the color timing/grading/palate, the cinematography/framing/DOF, etc. The stuff outside looks like a movie, while the stuff inside, even the stuff with Vision and Darcy, just felt like a TV show. At the end of the episode, it looks like the movie style was now being used in Westview. With the "restrictions" of the sitcom gone, Wandavision is now free to become a "traditional" Marvel thing.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
The first episode I haven't loved. I.... kinda actively disliked it, in fact.

The sitcom send-up didn't work. The agatha reveal does nothing for the hardcore fans expecting it, and doesn't work for the casual fans because it ended on a cliffhanger with absolutely no context on what the stakes are or what's going on. Should have ran another 2 minutes to explain a little bit more. The hokey real world stuff, which I was willing to overlook before, gets hokier every week.

I have absolutely LOVED the show up to now so I hope it sticks the landing.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The first episode I haven't loved. I.... kinda actively disliked it, in fact.

The sitcom send-up didn't work. The agatha reveal does nothing for the hardcore fans expecting it, and doesn't work for the casual fans because it ended on a cliffhanger with absolutely no context on what the stakes are or what's going on. Should have ran another 2 minutes to explain a little bit more. The hokey real world stuff, which I was willing to overlook before, gets hokier every week.

I have absolutely LOVED the show up to now so I hope it sticks the landing.
Seems like the reveal did a lot for hardcore fans if you ask me.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
It was just expected by everyone theory-crafting online.

And if you're casual, it didn't do enough before the credits to elicit more than an "uh, ok."

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Thinking about it, I wonder if there's going to be some payoff to the Grim Reaper helmet in the first episode.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I rewatched the latest episode and enjoyed it even more, then tried rewatching Suicide Squad as Snyder's cut is nearly upon us.

I'm not trying to start some kind of DC vs Marvel war, but it really is amazing how Marvel Studios keeps pumping out ever-better content in new directions while DC/WB is still spinning its wheels in a weird Snyderverse that doesn't ever seem capable of improving and few people seem to enjoy. It's just really remarkable the discrepancies in quality here.

Anyways was there an Easter egg about the missing child glimpse on that carton of milk?