• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Theres no way Magneto isn't Wanda and Pietro's real father.

They're not going to just leave that out on the table, it'll be a thing eventually when the X-Men and mutants eventually become established further down the line.

Marvel took it off the table years ago and won't put it back on said table

They're not mutants nor Magneto's kids in the comics, there's no reason for the MCU to follow something that doesn't exist anymore in the source material and doesn't play a big role in anything aside from House of M really, which they're adapting just fine without the M part itself.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

They're not mutants nor Magneto's kids in the comics, there's no reason for the MCU to follow something that doesn't exist anymore in the source material and doesn't play a big role in anything aside from House of M really, which they're adapting just fine without the M part itself.
They will eventually, DC and Marvel always return to status "how I remember it from my childhood" quo eventually. Sometimes it just takes them awhile.

One of the things I'm hoping runs counter to the theory that Quicksilver is actually Agatha's goon is how the scene showing her using her magic on him when he was at the door. Possibly implying he's somebody being controlled too.

At this point, I am thinking Agatha pulled Peter-Quicksilver out of the multiverse because she needed a body with speed powers, but she could not swing resurrecting the dead even temporarily. I think it could remain an easter egg in that Peter's home universe may never be specified, but the casting indicates where he is from.

As for the TV show angle, I'm still going with that being an artifact of Wanda's subconscious that Agatha can't really stop, so she ran with what she had to work with. This girl wants to star in a family sitcom? Okay, I can do that - I'll be the director.

There's a bit of Inception-logic going on here where Wanda must feel things are coming from within herself even if she doesn't remember when she thought of it. "Pietro" did some fast talking to reinforce this angle - explaining to Wanda that he showed up because it must have been Wanda who wanted the kind of disruption he was creating. And she didn't remember wanting that but started to accept it because it fit with how she thought things worked in the Hex.

Agatha's manipulation of Vision is interesting.
If she wanted the hex to last forever, her plan should be for Wanda to stay on her happy life forever. But on episode 3, she pushed Vision to suspect something is wrong with Herb and then with "Geraldine", then Pietro, then revealing he is dead.
Maybe what she wanted was Wanda expending herself, pushing her limits. If she was, say, slowly draining her lifeforce as she maintains the hex, she would be pro-happy life, but she clearly is pro-unhappy marriage.
I get the impression Wanda had to be happy and harmonious to firmly establish the Hex. But Agatha can only control her if she's unhappy and disoriented. Really, it is a skillful and spicy balancing act Agatha is trying to pull off, and it does fit her flamboyant personality (as seen here) very well. She is clearly sure of herself and her abilities.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
To me, the goofy sitcom stuff finally made sense once Agatha revealed herself.

Thats exactly the sort of zany thing I would expect from an weird ass super villain with a twisted sense of humor.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

It was only undone because the Fox ban was in effect and Marvel wanted to pull Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's association as mutants in order to push them as Avengers. I fully anticipate them undoing that some time in the future, and the MCU will/should just proceed as if the undoing never happened. It's too popular of a relationship thread for them to just cast away, at least not without notable backlash now that the X-Men are fair game.

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I thought that too, but there was no narrator which would have been mandatory for an AD homage. I wish they would have tossed at least one Ron Howard line in. The episode was almost 100% Modern Family (an ABC production).
I'm hoping that's what we get for the next episode alone with narrative based shows that ABC made in the past decade.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theres no way Magneto isn't Wanda and Pietro's real father.

They're not going to just leave that out on the table, it'll be a thing eventually when the X-Men and mutants eventually become established further down the line.
but wanda and pietro aren't mutants, especially these ones ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
It was only undone because the Fox ban was in effect and Marvel wanted to pull Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's association as mutants in order to push them as Avengers. I fully anticipate them undoing that some time in the future, and the MCU will/should just proceed as if the undoing never happened. It's too popular of a relationship thread for them to just cast away.

is it though? when has it ever been a crucial plot point outside of House of M, which they're already adapting without Magneto.

And Son of M, but MCU Pietro is dead and this one probably isn't sticking around

By the time they get around to Magneto, Elizabeth Olsen will probably be close to departing from the MCU too unless she plans on sticking around another 5-10 years

I don't see a narrative reason for them to go back on that retcon of a retcon in the comics or MCU, it's never really been a huge deal outside of the one X-Men centric event Wanda is associated with

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It was only undone because the Fox ban was in effect and Marvel wanted to pull Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's association as mutants in order to push them as Avengers. I fully anticipate them undoing that some time in the future, and the MCU will/should just proceed as if the undoing never happened. It's too popular of a relationship thread for them to just cast away.
Considering Wanda is referred to as the Great Pretender in the X-Men comics and is literally a boogieman they warn the children about, I doubt it's getting changed.

Oct 28, 2017
It is! It's straight up a good one-liner, I never got the hate.

Joss said he wrote it as a flippant joke but that Halle delivered it like she was the queen of the universe. I think Halle was horribly miscast anyways and her dollar store wig didn't help.

But this was very early modern superhero fare so I'll give it a pass. Without Blade andXmen we'd not be here with WandaVision.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
these two aren't born with powers which is the entire point of the mutants
I believe the idea would be that the mind stone just triggered their mutant powers but it was always there.

Or reality gets rewritten at some point. The latter seems likely, as fun as it would be to do the "mutants just pop up overnight", characters like Wolverine, Apocalypse have a lot of history with well...history.

Either way, yeah, I fully expect Wanda and Pietro to get retconned into mutants.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if they are going the path of the Darkhold if we'll get Wanda's ties to Chthon as well with Wundagore Mountain. At this point, I think it's more likely than any ties to the mutants. Chthon does seem like it would tie into the Lovecraftian-vibe that the title of "In the Multiverse of Madness" references, and Chthon and the Darkhold seem like a clear way to get into vampires, monsters, and more supernatural/mystic stuff in the movies.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh jeez another thing in the newest one:

i5EgFwA.png

d1RpfBN.png

He made his cameo after all 😢

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I wonder if they are going the path of the Darkhold if we'll get Wanda's ties to Chthon as well with Wundagore Mountain. At this point, I think it's more likely than any ties to the mutants. Chthon does seem like it would tie into the Lovecraftian-vibe that the title of "In the Multiverse of Madness" references, and Chthon and the Darkhold seem like a clear way to get into vampires, monsters, and more supernatural/mystic stuff in the movies.

IMO they're definitely headed in that direction but I don't know if all those details will carry through to the MCU or if they'll just find an interesting way to tie the source of her magic to the Hell dimension that isn't quite so complex

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
A nice excuse for Blade to show up. Fuck yeah, bring on the Marvel Horrorverse

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Well I mean Peter is .

If it uh is indeed peter.

Is it friday yet ?
He is super speeding around, which means he has those powers. I don't think that's a trick. I think Vision is going to awaken him next episode and we'll see that he is Peter but probably from a universe that is Xmen adjacent. I think they will go with the half step of "he is Xmen Peter but we don't have to worry about any other Xmen connections unless we want to"

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
they booted out franklin richards from krakoa a week ago
Damn, thats cold.

I'm fine with Franklin not being a mutant though personally, don't think either side ever really benefitted from that connection creatively.

Franklin can get his powers from his weird space irradiated parents, thats enough for me.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
If ep 7 was the Modern Family episode what would ep 8 be? Assuming they are still carrying on with that. Big Bang Theory? Brooklyn 99? Community?

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
it's been Agatha (writing all the theme song lyrics) all along!

there are some pretty telling lines in the "Malcolm in the Middle" opening from Episode 6 too

Wow, no kidding!

Wanda
WandaVision
Don't try to fight the chaos
Don't question what you've done
The game can try to play us
Don't let it stop the fun
Some days, it's all confusion
Easy come and easy go
But if it's all illusion
Sit back, enjoy the show
Let's keep it going
Let's keep it going
Through each distorted day
Let's keep it going
Though there may be no way of knowing
Who's coming by to play

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
They had the mutant gene that was activated by the Mind stone.
So many fucking ways to explain/retcon it.

But go ahead man, make it your Normandy.

no need for anyone to die on the hill when Marvel blew it up almost a decade ago and has no narrative reason to change it back

in fact, their current running X-Men story line uses the "retcon" to explain the current state of Mutants their relationship with Wanda Maximoff - she doesn't have one outside of what she did to them in House of M and they'll always hate her for it

the idea of her doing a reverse "no more mutants" or being the reason that mutants start appearing in the MCU has always been flimsy as hell. they were clearly more interested in adapting House of M because of what Wanda goes through specifically, not because it has anything to do with Magneto or Mutants

Oct 29, 2017
Space
All this "Wanda and Peter aren't mutants" nonsense. They were mutants longer than they weren't and they were only changed because "lol Fox makes X-men movies".

They'll be mutants and Magneto's children forever. I'll die on this hill.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
All this "Wanda and Peter aren't mutants" nonsense. They were mutants longer than they weren't and they were only changed because "lol Fox makes X-men movies".

They'll be mutants and Magneto's children forever. I'll die on this hill.

Yeah, remember when they were Inhumans for five fucking minutes because Marvel was desperate to glow up those losers and make them actually relevant?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
is it though? when has it ever been a crucial plot point outside of House of M, which they're already adapting without Magneto.

And Son of M, but MCU Pietro is dead and this one probably isn't sticking around

By the time they get around to Magneto, Elizabeth Olsen will probably be close to departing from the MCU too unless she plans on sticking around another 5-10 years

I don't see a narrative reason for them to go back on that retcon of a retcon in the comics or MCU, it's never really been a huge deal outside of the one X-Men centric event Wanda is associated with

There's nothing crucial about the relationship but it is well-liked. It has been staples of their characters longer than it hasn't, and every adaptation has canonized this relationship including Fox's own movie universe, at least coyly in the case of Evan Peters.

It was generally accepted due to the Fox ban, but now that that's no longer a thing what reason is there to keep it this way? At least with MCU Ultron it was thematically significant to Tony Stark's character arc, and Ultron could serve as his opposite. What is gained from severing this relationship?

Considering Wanda is referred to as the Great Pretender in the X-Men comics and is literally a boogieman they warn the children about, I doubt it's getting changed.

Hence why I say "some time in the future" - Hickman has a story he wants to tell and Marvel's not going to step on his shoes. And I will be surprised if this status quo lasts too long beyond his run.

And besides, between Franklin Richards getting retconned out of mutantdom and Gwenpool retconning herself into it it's not like they aren't flexible like that. I'll admit it'd be interesting seeing how those of Krakoa would reconcile (or fail to reconcile/reject reconciling) like that.