• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even sure I'm going to watch it if he is. It just feels so bland. Maybe it's got an X-factor we haven't seen yet, but I've got no clue what that would be.

It's a show where a black man has to wrestle with trying to live up to a mantle that comes with a vast amount of power, identity, respect, and mythos who will be judged harshly if it any point he isn't flawless while the US Government is trying to take it away from him because Cool White Dude Is The Only One Who Can Do It.

Even if it's not the most exciting thing ever, I think that's a good message to put out there and it's important to support black directed efforts in the industry.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Loved the episode. I liked the Darcy/vision scene. Loved watching Wanda as her world is falling apart and she's trying to make sense of it. Monica getting her powers was great. The Agatha 'show' reveal was the star here. Great stuff.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's a show where a black man has to wrestle with trying to live up to a mantle that comes with a vast amount of power, identity, respect, and mythos who will be judged harshly if it any point he isn't flawless while the US Government is trying to take it away from him because Cool White Dude Is The Only One Who Can Do It.

Even if it's not the most exciting thing ever, I think that's a good message to put out there and it's important to support black directed efforts in the industry.

Oh absolutely. I'm just burned out on Marvel right now and I need weird shit like this to keep me interested.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Before anyone starts freaking out about "Capcom being referenced."

I know, too late.

Capcom as used here is shorthand for Capsule Communications. It's what NASA and other space agencies call the radio communication in the capsules.

It was literally just a comms check.
Neat. I didn't know this etymology, but I knew it had to be something like this.

I do? Why are you being so needlessly rude to someone just explaining a bit of uncommon lingo?

So does anyone think that the fact that the hex started matching the density of the rover when Monica was trying to get in has any significance? Makes it seem like somehow Vision or his tech is involved? Maybe that's what SWORD was working on or it's somehow a combo of Vision and Wanda's powers or something? I don't really have a theory or anything that just stood out to me as something to look out for.
Damn, that's a good catch. Density shifting is Vision's game.

FF#1 June, 1961. Or 61-6, 616.
I never knew this and it's awesome.

Really hoping Agatha becomes a Loki-esque recurring villain. I'm enjoying Hahn in the role and it'd be a shame if she's just another one-and-done villain.
I would LOVE this.

The trailers and such make it look super standard, so I wasn't too hot on it until I had heard about this. This part makes it sound way more interesting.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I kind of like the two kids, they're growing on me(pun not intended). But despite all the air time they've gotten in the latter half of this season, I get the feeling they're going to be replaced by two guys in their early 20's playing 16 year olds lol.

It would be nice to keep them around and actually have them age up into the roles naturally. It would be a nice change from the usual casting of people in their early 20's to play teens. The thing that separated Tom from the others to play Spidey is that he was so much younger when he started. But now he'll be 25 playing maybe a 17 year old when Spidey 3 comes out

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think the real problem with Monica as a character is that, outside of episode 4's intro, we never get to see her outside of the context of The Mission. She's really doesn't have any dimensions. She could really use a dinner scene.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Although the commercial wasn't as cool as last week's I think the intro made up for it. It was just nice and creepy.

I kind of like the two kids, they're growing on me(pun not intended). But despite all the air time they've gotten in the latter half of this season, I get the feeling they're going to be replaced by two guys in their early 20's playing 16 year olds lol.

It would be nice to keep them around and actually have them age up into the roles naturally. It would be a nice change from the usual casting of people in their early 20's to play teens. The thing that separated Tom from the others to play Spidey is that he was so much younger when he started. But now he'll be 25 playing maybe a 17 year old when Spidey 3 comes out

Yeah I like these kids. Hope they stick around

(I'm going to find out they just got eaten off screen next ep I bet)

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Honestly, I didn't have much of a problem with how they handled Vision discovering the truth offscreen for 2 reasons. I don't see why it matters that it was Darcy that was the point of exposition for him, as her primary role in the series has been that of "relatable exposition/audience surrogate." Anyway, reason 1, is more practical: This is a television show with 9 episodes of limited run time. As a writer, one of the challenges is trying to find out the best way to utilize the time and space you have to tell your story. Side tangent, while working on my graphic novel, it was originally conceived as a 4 issue mini-series, with each issue being 22 pages long (roughly standard American comic book length). I had to think long and hard about what I actually wanted/needed to show in each issue to tell the story I wanted to tell. It requires a lot of shorthand and shortcuts, without losing much of your plot/characterization/etc. It's really tough to do, I learned the hard way!

Reason 2 is tied to reason 1: The information Darcy is relaying to Vision about his past, is stuff that we, the audience, already know about Vision and his history, as such, it would be burning valuable screentime to have a scene or two of her running through the events the audience is already familiar with, so the writers instead did two things; peppered a little of that throughout previous episodes (in particular, the last episode, and the episode where Pietro shows up, where Vision is slowly realizing that something is very wrong with this idyllic world he and Wanda live in, and that there's something off about his memories. Then, he learns in episode 6 that he was dead, which leads to more questions, but he isn't able to really get answers from Wanda, as his investigations lead him out of the Hex, where he's nearly killed until Wanda expands it and saves him. The second thing the writers did was focus on just a few of the key elements of Vision's predicament to devote screen time to, gave it to Darcy, since it saves time (she's a familiar face that Vision recognizes as not being hostile from last episode, though he may not have been 100% sure that she could give him all of the answers he sought, but hey, she's from the outside world, so she's bound to know something). Darcy is both shorthand as point of catching Vision up, shorthand for skirting past Vision having to convince a stranger that he's not hostile (and they're not hostile), while also giving Vision a bit of important character arc growth by having him realize that his wife isn't untrustworthy, just traumatized and "lashing out" through grief. Not to mention that we, the audience, also already know that Darcy is non-hostile, so for our benefit, she was the bearer of trustworthy information for our hero. I mean, if it was Pietro, for example, telling Vision this, we'd be suspicious, and so would Vision. Even Wanda herself is a bit of an unreliable narrator at this point, despite us knowing Wanda is, ultimately, not a bad person.

We already know this, as the audience, and I think this was a pretty solid way of solving the episode run-time/important information/character arc trajectory issue that the writers and show faced.
I like your reasoning, and I do think a lot of decisions the writers are making are factoring in the time crunch of each episode. I just personally think that could have been a big emotional moment for Vision. But hey, I'm a lover a drama. Anytime I can get characters to wallow in feelings I usually take it. lol

My issue with Darcy specifically is that, since Darcy doesn't really have much in the way of character development, the little attempt she does make to empathize with Vision ("The love you two have is real...") just fell flat to me. Like, the I watched the scene and I couldn't help but wonder why it should matter to Vision that Darcy is telling him this.

So is there a specific reason why Wanda got weirded out by the cicada? I imagine she got weirded out by Señor Scratchy being in the cage because she expected the twins to be playing with him... but what was the weird part about the cicada?

Yo, cicadas are fucking scary.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Weird. At about 5:30 into episode 7, while Vision is looking around just after getting up, there's a very obvious shift in hue, like the compositing is suddenly different.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Why the hell does Disney+ never save my subtitle settings? Their help page on it says that changing them in the web browser saves them but I have to turn the captions back on for every single video. Hell, if I exit a video partway through and come back five seconds later, I have to turn them on again!

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is that what happened there? I always assumed that was just good old-fashioned telekinesis.

Due to Wanda's connection to the Mind Stone, she is able to manipulate it and Vision to a degree.

i think the real problem with Monica as a character is that, outside of episode 4's intro, we never get to see her outside of the context of The Mission. She's really doesn't have any dimensions. She could really use a dinner scene.

I'm sure we will get that at some point. This isn't Monica's only appearance, after all. Also, I know it isn't what you meant but we do see some of what you want out of Captain Marvel. She went from a child idolizing her "auntie"/childhood hero to becoming jaded over Carol, something we'll learn more about once CM2 releases I'm sure.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

I think Marvel intentionally moved away from the Netflix model where the heroes would have it out with the big bad in episode 6, then spend 4 hour long episodes reminiscing about how they got to this point and fleshing out side stories, then rush to an ending in the last few eps.

There probably aren't going to be dimensions to these characters that aren't easily referenced in a subsequent film.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
even the "funny sitcom" moments, that weren't really funny at all when taking it in with the overall context of Wanda literally suffering from major depression and grief, and now everything was unravelling.

One thing I've been noticing is that the episodes have a lot of moments where they're doing the whole sitcom thing, and people feel that virtually every time they do it is supposed to be this hilarious thing that the show is failing at, even when it clearly isn't going for that.

Like this episode is a good example. Some were criticizing Wanda talking to the camera as not being funny compared to stuff like The Office or Modern Family. But like, it clearly isn't supposed to be? She's depressed af, and recent events have just tired her out. Like sometimes it's kinda obvious that here and there less effort is being put into the jokes and the sitcom setting of the week itself because Wanda herself is getting increasingly distracted from what was originally this place she created for herself where everything was initially perfect. Or that one episode where they used the laugh track a bunch of times, even though it didn't fit. Not because it actually wanted us viewers to laugh, but because it helped make things more unsettling the way it just kept going. I guess it's super meta in a sense.

I mean of course, humor is subjective, some people haven't liked the humor since the very beginning, but it's interesting to view how increasingly muddled things have become, where it's become harder to tell what in the show is actually solely meant to make us laugh.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
yes because then it will be Ebunny

(I don't know who Ebony is)

agathacat.jpg

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Why is everyone settled on Agatha being the big bad?

The It was Agatha All Along just screams that it's obviously not her. Could just be me.

Yeah, I also think there's something else going on. Glad I don't know about comic stuff, this show is giving me surprises I wasn't expecting :P

Weird. At about 5:30 into episode 7, while Vision is looking around just after getting up, there's a very obvious shift in hue, like the compositing is suddenly different.

They've been doing this in other episodes as well, as a hint of format changing from "our" WandaVision into "Wanda's" WandaVision. I would have loved for them to go all out with that, specially with the 90s/00s sitcom, they should've gone with 4:3, but it still works as it is.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

My sister just made an interesting point - the reason the broadcast stopped is that we're now in the era of TV where broadcasts changed from analog to digital.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My sister just made an interesting point - the reason the broadcast stopped is that we're now in the era of TV where broadcasts changed from analog to digital.

ohhhh right

that was the one thing that was bothering me was like the tv format shouldnt exist if the signal is no longer being broadcast but now it makes sense. hayward wouldn't give a shit about the format changing.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Neat. I didn't know this etymology, but I knew it had to be something like this.

I do? Why are you being so needlessly rude to someone just explaining a bit of uncommon lingo?

because it literally changes nothing about the episode, and like yourself figured out it was probably a very technical lingo.

no need to come to say to people "Accchually they aren't making a shout out to capcom"

it may be it may not, who cares.

i appareciate people explaining what it was, but no need to shit on people believing it was a capcom shout out

Tortfeasor

Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
I'm sure it's already posted, but this episode had an extra scene mid-credits. I'm not sure if this is the first one to do that, I've watched a few other through the credits and there was nothing.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I'm sure it's already posted, but this episode had an extra scene mid-credits. I'm not sure if this is the first one to do that, I've watched a few other through the credits and there was nothing.

This episode is the first to do a post credits scene. So you haven't missed anything.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting! Thanks
Can't wait to what her powers can do
Just read the Marvel wiki and save some time!

marvel.fandom.com

Monica Rambeau (Earth-616)

Demonstrating light and energy manipulation at a young age, Monica Rambeau hid and suppressed those abilities until she was bombarded with extra-dimensional energy emitted by a stolen device. Rambeau, now a harbor patrol officer, then discovered an ability to convert her body mass into any form...

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell does Disney+ never save my subtitle settings? Their help page on it says that changing them in the web browser saves them but I have to turn the captions back on for every single video. Hell, if I exit a video partway through and come back five seconds later, I have to turn them on again!

Was the same for me, I assumed it was because I wasn't the main account holder (I'm piggybacking off of my cousin's). Download the app, change your settings on a video on there, it should save and carry over to desktop.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Was the same for me, I assumed it was because I wasn't the main account holder (I'm piggybacking off of my cousin's). Download the app, change your settings on a video on there, it should save and carry over to desktop.
I am the main account holder, so that's not it. I'll give the app thing a try later though, thank you.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all think this series takes the comic book reader/non-comic book reader divide to a new level? Like, Agatha, Nexus, Mephisto, Darkhold, Spectrum, Monica being an aunt, some character or other being a fly/cicada...I have zero context for any of that besides what I saw in this episode and read over the last few pages of this thread.

What's great is that the show still 100% works for me, anyway. I absorb the excitement for this or that concept being introduced through osmosis, and in some cases the twists hit harder because the absence of context. And it seems to work for comic book readers just as well. This is something the MCU has been doing all along, but how this show in particular has gone about hitting that sweet spot has been impressive.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all think this series takes the comic book reader/non-comic book reader divide to a new level? Like, Agatha, Nexus, Mephisto, Darkhold, Spectrum, Monica being an aunt, some character or other being a fly/cicada...I have zero context for any of that besides what I saw in this episode and read over the last few pages of this thread.

What's great is that the show still 100% works for me, anyway. I absorb the excitement for this or that concept being introduced through osmosis, and in some cases the twists hit harder because the absence of context. And it seems to work for comic book readers just as well. This is something the MCU has been doing all along, but how this show in particular has gone about hitting that sweet spot has been impressive.

Don't read comics, and I probably won't ever make a real effort to do so

But basically comic book fans getting hype gets me hype lol. I feel like that's how it is for a lot of people. Also cultural osmosis does just enough that I can be hip to certain things, like all this potential Mephisto foreshadowing for example

I thought the whole bit with the moon rover just made the super secret engineer and Monica look either incompetent or foolish. Hey look at this super tech! "Did we get your specs right", we know anything that goes into the hex changes but let's try anyways.

I'd rather just had Monica approach the hex, put her hand on it, notice she is changing/has powers and then just say "I can do this" and go through 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Other than that I enjoyed the episode.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the whole bit with the moon rover just made the super secret engineer and Monica look either incompetent or foolish. Hey look at this super tech! "Did we get your specs right", we know anything that goes into the hex changes but let's try anyways.
Yeah it added nothing really for me. Didn't even look that cool.