• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I think you guys are overlooking why Mephisto or anyone would take any form besides MCU Pietro. Wanda knows Westview is under her control and each person is acting a roll. If someone suddenly showed up as the MCU Pietro when she knows he's dead it would automatically send red flags to her and know someone is trying to trick her and send him flying out the bubble like she sent Monica. This way she "knows" it's just someone in the town being cast as her brother.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
He's not a good guy.
300px-You_Are_Bad_Guy.jpg

I'm leaning towards like ....something along these lines

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't it make sense? It's a TV show about TV shows, stuffed to the gills with meta stuff. The Kick-Ass joke in the last episode wasn't some kind of multiverse pull, was it? It was for us, the audience, the same way casting Peters as <insert cosmic entity here> and using the fact that he played a different Quicksilver is for us.
One-liner meta jokes have been a staple of Marvel movies since time immemorial. Stunt casting has not. Every other recast Marvel has done in the past they try and draw as little attention to it as possible. The most they've ever called out a recast was Rhodey, and that was just to escape dealing with a supposedly hard-to-work-with actor.

I get the idea that they're following the trope of the sitcom recast, but they could use literally any other actor and still pull off that trope, with zero other ramifications in-universe. Using Evan Peters only to have zero-association with the Xmen universe in any way is the type of gotcha that Marvel typically does not traffic in. It's a misdirect for the sake of misdirection.

It doesn't literally have to be that exact character from Xmen pulled through a portal or something. It can still be Mephisto, but they can say he "looked through the multiverse for other versions of Quicksilver who were still alive" to model himself after. That would still involve the multiverse, even if I'd personally prefer the actual quicksilver and have this signal the beginning of the "convergence".

Nov 27, 2020
It doesn't literally have to be that exact character from Xmen pulled through a portal or something. It can still be Mephisto, but they can say he "looked through the multiverse for other versions of Quicksilver who were still alive" to model himself after.
I'd accept this explanation if Pietro is Mephisto in disguise. It gives power and agency to the villain besides "whoopsy-daisy".

Nov 27, 2020
I hope it's not Mephisto behind all this. For me this would be the most boring outcome.
Same. The worst case for me would be Mephisto in disguise as Evan Peters Quicksilver, for reasons I've already stated, but there are varying degrees of bad to that. I kind of want the "villain" in this to simply be Wanda's grief that she has to confront. It's the simplest, and most emotionally impactful way to end this story. They can tease Mephisto or Magneto or Doctor Doom or Hercules in the post credits scene, but let this very human story about grief end on very human terms. After a super powered throw down between a witch and a robot, of course.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I recently rewatched DOFP, Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix. This is not in any way that version of the character. The only similarity is Evan Peters plays both versions. The Fox version wasn't making jokes about people dying twice and shrugging off holding a town hostage as justified.
Because his mind is being warped the same way everyone else in Westview is. He's been "cast" as Pietro Maximoff. We all know him as Peter Maximoff though.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't see why Mephisto takes away from Wanda' s story. In her grief she was offered a perfect life with her dead husband in exchange for something. Just because he's preying on her grief doesn't mean she's all of a sudden robbed of her agency, story, or arc. There is another villain working in the background and the hints are there. This isn't some surprise the foreshadowing is there. Hayward wants Vision's body and someone else wants Wanda for something.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
Same. The worst case for me would be Mephisto in disguise as Evan Peters Quicksilver, for reasons I've already stated, but there are varying degrees of bad to that. I kind of want the "villain" in this to simply be Wanda's grief that she has to confront. It's the simplest, and most emotionally impactful way to end this story. They can tease Mephisto or Magneto or Doctor Doom or Hercules in the post credits scene, but let this very human story about grief end on very human terms. After a super powered throw down between a witch and a robot, of course.
I'm here for the Wanda - Vision throwdown, but there's like 0% chance there isn't some sort of behind-the-scenes machinations going on.

Agnes's completely suspect behavior, Evans appearance and the Shark commercial "snackin' on yo-magic" to survive are clear indicators of this.
But all that said, I think there's still a very real chance Wanda could end up being a villain coming out of this series. Especially if Vision ends up dead or if he escapes the Hex but disowns her because of her actions.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I really don't see why Mephisto takes away from Wanda' s story. In her grief she was offered a perfect life with her dead husband in exchange for something. Just because he's preying on her grief doesn't mean she's all of a sudden robbed of her agency, story, or arc. There is another villain working in the background and the hints are there. This isn't some surprise the foreshadowing is there. Hayward wants Vision's body and someone else wants Wanda for something.

For me, it's that the character has already gone through this with Ultron. It's repetitive. It's far more scary and interesting if she's willingly heading down a dark path.

If she is interacting with another antagonistic character, then again, I'd rather she willingly be cooperating with them, rather than being duped. Like she was with Ultron.

I don't see the writers doing the same song and dance. Feige's too shrewd for this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm here for the Wanda - Vision throwdown, but there's like 0% chance there isn't some sort of behind-the-scenes machinations going on.

Agnes's completely suspect behavior, Evans appearance and the Shark commercial "snackin' on yo-magic" to survive are clear indicators of this.
But all that said, I think there's still a very real chance Wanda could end up being a villain coming out of this series. Especially if Vision ends up dead or if he escapes the Hex but disowns her because of her actions.

I think at the end of the day it's likely that there will be A secondary villain but the END conflict will be Wanda and Vision working out Wanda's problems. I don't think you're going to have IT WAS ME ALL ALONG be the big bust-up battle at the end, if there's a secondary antagonist (whether that's Hayward, Agnes, or Pietro) they will be dealt with before the end.

And then there will very likely be a twist or a post-credits scene at the very end revealing who was really behind everything that's setup for Doctor Strange 2.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

Because that makes Wanda kind of dumb. She fell for this kind of trick before (making alliances with some bad people/machines for her personal vendetta) and she lived through so many things already that falling again for this trick will truly make her not very smart. Plus her character development would be almost 0 at that point.

And I like Wanda as a character, more so now. I would rather see her a villain than dumb.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
What's interesting is what will happen to Wanda once all is said and done and the hex comes down. In Civil War she talked a lot about how people fear her and stuff and now she will have a whole town terrified of her for life. She is either gonna embrace it and go full villain or have a huge meltdown culminating with a 'no more mutants moment'. Maybe she says "no more Wanda" and dissappears and Doc Strange 2 is about searching for her across the muitlverse

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What's interesting is what will happen to Wanda once all is said and done and the hex comes down. In Civil War she talked a lot about how people fear her and stuff and now she will have a whole town terrified of her for life. She is either gonna embrace it and go full villain or have a huge meltdown culminating with a 'no more mutants moment'. Maybe she says "no more Wanda" and dissappears and Doc Strange 2 is about searching for her across the muitlverse
Professor X comes in and erases everyone's memory. lol

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The only way I would see Mephisto as a acceptable villain here would be if his whole motivation would be that Tony Stark threw his science projects to the bin when Mephisto was a little kid.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I do think another way to read the Yo' Magic commercial is that she is using her magic as a coping mechanism to survive. I think the Lagos paper towel commercial ties into that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I do think another way to read the Yo' Magic commercial is that she is using her magic as a coping mechanism to survive. I think the Lagos paper towel commercial ties into that.

The part of the commercial that I still don't get is the part where the kid starves to death because he can't open (use) yo' magic.

Since it was AFTER Lagos, it's not her being unable to save Pietro. It would be after Civil War, which means it's symbolic of what exactly? She wasn't strong enough to completely destroy the Mind Gem and died because of it?

The commercials have all been in a very linear order and this one sticks out because it's hard to be sure what event in her life it's referencing.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Always saw the Yo Magic commercial as it just being chaos magic which is what Wanda supposedly uses. Like the Magic could've saved the persons life in the commercial but it's so chaotic and not reliable that he just couldn't open it to save his life.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
The part of the commercial that I still don't get is the part where the kid starves to death because he can't open (use) yo' magic.

Since it was AFTER Lagos, it's not her being unable to save Pietro. It would be after Civil War, which means it's symbolic of what exactly? She wasn't strong enough to completely destroy the Mind Gem and died because of it?

The commercials have all been in a very linear order and this one sticks out because it's hard to be sure what event in her life it's referencing.
I think that commercial is referencing her current situation.

She was lost and alone after Vision died. She was "hungry" for companionship / a solution to bring Vision back, and a "shark" came and provided her one. The shark, in exchange, gets to survive by snackin' on yo-magic, literally feeding off of Wanda's power while she's in fantasy land. The kid not being able to open the seal means they never can be satisfied, and eventually wastes away.

Someone else came to Wanda with a "solution" to her grief, and is now behind the scenes feeding off of her power. Likely to the point where it saps her entirely. Could be Agatha. Could be Mephisto. Could be Nightmare. Could be someone else.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if Wanda is dying? Maybe that's what the Yo Magic symbolises - she never learned how to draw from the energies of other universes like sorcerers do, so if she can't learn how to use other sources of energy for her magic it'll consume her. 🤔

Perhaps the reason time moves much faster inside the Hex, the reason she's living out the perfect life with children that grow up super fast, is because Wanda believes she only has so much time left because her magic is killing her. Could be everything we've seen is like Wanda skipping to the good bits of family life that she looked forward to, like having children, entering town talent shows and Halloween.

Could be why Doctor Strange gets involved. Wanda is so powerful already and with proper training she could be as strong as he is, but she'll die if he doesn't teach her how to use magic properly.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
What if Wanda is dying? Maybe that's what the Yo Magic symbolises - she never learned how to draw from the energies of other universes like sorcerers do, so if she can't learn how to use other sources of energy for her magic it'll consume her. 🤔

Perhaps the reason time moves much faster inside the Hex, the reason she's living out the perfect life with children that grow up super fast, is because Wanda believes she only has so much time left because her magic is killing her. Could be everything we've seen is like Wanda skipping to the good bits of family life that she looked forward to, like having children, entering town talent shows and Halloween.

Could be why Doctor Strange gets involved. Wanda is so powerful already and with proper training she could be as strong as he is, but she'll die if he doesn't teach her how to use magic properly.
That would also explain why she doesn't care about the consequences of her actions. She knows she's already living on borrowed time.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would also explain why she doesn't care about the consequences of her actions. She knows she's already living on borrowed time.

Yeah, there could be something there too. Maybe she doesn't want to find a way to save herself or use her powers less often to give herself more time because there's no point in living without all the people she has lost.

Better to buy herself as much time with Vision as she can rather than buy herself as much time as she can without him.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Oh, it could be very poignant due to Monica's story with her mom, Maria...

...And, of course, Mephisto offering "One More Day".

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The reason why I think there's a 3rd party influencing/manipulating Wanda at this point is because if the big bad here is "Wanda's grief" then the show has done nothing within itself to establish that. The only thing so far that has even touched on Wanda's grief as a major catalyst are the fake commercials, and that's speculation. It would require a level of "you have to have seen previous MCU-movies to understand what's going on" that we haven't seen in any MCU movie that wasn't a direct sequel. The MCU is connected, but it's not that connected. This would just be bad storytelling.

The show has dropped too many hints that if not Mephisto, if not Nightmare, if not Agnes or the several other suspicious characters, then something is pulling the strings here. Otherwise, you have to begin asking why "I R Sad" is a good enough motivation for Wanda to take an entire town hostage.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Wanda gonna create the multiverse of madness. The show gonna end on a cliffhanger and the real villan was the friends we made along the way.

There's my fan fiction

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, it could be very poignant due to Monica's story with her mom, Maria...

...And, of course, Mephisto offering "One More Day".

Yeah, I mean all this stuff does seem a little beyond even Wanda's ability to pull off so that'd be an easy way to slot Mephisto in.

Could well be that Mephisto has offered her the life she always wanted with Vision in return for her soul - and since she's dying anyway she accepts. She gets absolute control over the Hex and everyone inside for as long as she lives but, when she dies, all her power becomes Mephisto's.

That could be where Doctor Strange intervenes. It's kinda his fault Vision died since he willingly gave Thanos the Time Gem, so maybe he feels obligated to rescue Wanda from her own grief and not only void whatever deal she made with Mephisto but teach her how to use her magic properly so she has a reason to live, a purpose.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Because that makes Wanda kind of dumb. She fell for this kind of trick before (making alliances with some bad people/machines for her personal vendetta) and she lived through so many things already that falling again for this trick will truly make her not very smart. Plus her character development would be almost 0 at that point.

And I like Wanda as a character, more so now. I would rather see her a villain than dumb.
I think making Wanda "go crazy out of grief" to the point that she is maliciously holding people capture against their will completely ignores her character development up to this point as someone who has struggled to control her powers and be accepted by others for who she is. It completely plays into the "terrorist" view that Hayward sees her as and people think this is good character development? That isn't her "in-control", that is her going into "fuck it" mode after having a mental breakdown and going into a downward spiral.

It also assumes that she has no agency if there is another villain involved, when this likely isn't about her being mind controlled, it's about her probably making a "deal with the devil" or having her powers increased/her ability augmented in some way. We still see how she is actively involved in maintaining this "illusion" of the perfect world and we've learned of the cost and risk that puts to others. We just don't know to the extent of which she is in control and why she doesn't remember anything.

Is it a better explanation that she just is crazy and blacks out and that's why she doesn't remember her own actions then that she stole Vision's dead body, drove to the middle of some suburb, brought him back to life, and took over the whole town as her slaves so they her and Vision could have a perfect sitcom life? Where does any of that sound like Wanda? Or is she just a mad woman out of control of her emotions but it makes her have more superpowers and maybe she might make Fox X-Men a thing in the MCU, so that is totally character development and totally cool.

Last edited:

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I think making Wanda "go crazy out of grief" to the point that she is maliciously holding people capture against their will completely ignores her character development up to this point as someone who has struggled to control her powers and be accepted by others for who she is. It completely plays into the "terrorist" view that Hayward sees her as and people think this is good character development? That isn't her "in-control", that is her going into "fuck it" mode after having a mental breakdown and going into a downward spiral.

It also assumes that she has no agency if there is another villain involved, when this likely isn't about her being mind controlled, it's about her probably making a "deal with the devil" or having her powers increased/her ability augmented in some way. We still see how she is actively involved in maintaining this "illusion" of the perfect world and we've learned of the cost and risk that puts to others. We just don't know to the extent of which she is in control and why she doesn't remember anything.

Is it a better explanation that she just is crazy and blacks out and that's why she doesn't remember her own actions then that she stole Vision's dead body, drove to the middle of some suburb, brought him back to life, and took over the whole town as her slaves so they her and Vision could have a perfect sitcom life? Where does any of that sound like Wanda? Or is she just a mad woman out of control of her emotions but it makes her have more superpowers and maybe she might make Fox X-Men a thing in the MCU, so that is totally character development and totally cool.

You mean like how she made a deal with Hydra/Strucker and with Ultron before and obviously learned nothing from that if she does it again?