• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
People (myself included) get/got too hing up on the show per decade idea, especially since the first 2 were both 60s. I just think of it as a travel through TV time.
I thought that the first episode was doing an "i love lucy" parody, which is from the 50's.

I could be wrong though as I've never seen anything more than stills from tv of that era.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The new Justice League cut would look pretty good on it.

Eu-PKq9u-Vo-AIoig.jpg

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first one was the 50's. It was based on i love lucy.
It was based on the Dick Van Dyke Show, which actually began airing in '61.

But it felt like a 50's show, which is really what WndaVision cares about. Malcom in the Middle may have been a 2000's thing but in the mind's eye we remember is being 90's. At least I do.

Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone seen the new promo for episode 7?

There is a big tease.

Magneto looking character bringing vision closer to him as vision is made from.. vibranium

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I think the way they'll do it is... Wanda seemed to have accepted Vision's death during Stark's funeral, right? So something must have set her off.

The assumption is that Vision would have simply been stored safely somewhere, as per his will, and there's a good chance he actually was for the last five years. We can probably assume Stark himself made the arrangements, given he indirectly created Vision and he would understand Vision's wish not to be used as a weapon.

So what if SWORD stole Vision's corpse when Stark died and the Avengers were too distracted by red tape and committies and their own problems to notice? Wandavision takes place three weeks after Stark died and we know Wanda broke into a SWORD compound nine days before. That means SWORD could have had Vision's body for up to twelve days before Wanda took it back.

What if the reason they haven't told us where the SWORD facility was is because it was in Westview? Maybe the reason SWORD mobilised so quickly (within twenty four hours) is because Hayward knows they have a secret lab there which he set up to pull apart Vision's corpse and figure out what makes it tick.

That would mean Wanda didn't actually go anywhere and maybe the reason we only saw her break into the compound through bad security camera footage is because, otherwise, we'd see Agnes or Dottie there.
This makes a lot of sense

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that the first episode was doing an "i love lucy" parody, which is from the 50's.

I could be wrong though as I've never seen anything more than stills from tv of that era.

It's a little I Love Lucy but it's a lot lot lot Dick Van Dyke show (which I grew up on reruns of). The living room layout is really close to the Petrie family home and there's a DVD gag with an ottoman in the opening credits.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
It's a little I Love Lucy but it's a lot lot lot Dick Van Dyke show (which I grew up on reruns of). The living room layout is really close to the Petrie family home and there's a DVD gag with an ottoman in the opening credits.

You're right, I just thought that was the second episode, and bewitched as the third. I blame the fact that episodes 1 and 2 were released on the same day, so they blended together in my head.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It was based on the Dick Van Dyke Show, which actually began airing in '61.

But it felt like a 50's show, which is really what WndaVision cares about. Malcom in the Middle may have been a 2000's thing but in the mind's eye we remember is being 90's. At least I do.

This is really the heart of it. Decades are arbitrary divisions, each show is just further down the TV evolutionary path. Bewitched and Brady Bunch aren't that far apart in time, but there was a stylistic jump.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Look, I don't want to be baited into a more extreme view than I have.
I'm not baiting you.

I just saying in a universe where the was an entire hanger that house multiple Helecarriers under the DC area, find a mobile server unit implausible is silly.

Having a sever building gives a) the group a place to plan out of sight, b) place for Darcy to have direct connection to SWORD file without hacking.

It makes sense for Darcy to stay behind instead of hacking across wifi into millitary system in the back of a vehicle.

Getting upset by Hollywood and comic book tropes is silly this far into the MCU. Taking shortcuts in technology logistic to further character and plot in a non hard scifi setting is fine.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Because, what we have now is a show called Wandavision, about ...Wanda and Vision!

We have the potential for a really nice human angle here about grief and loss of a loved one. Of the loss of a future with a family and what it does to Wanda. Well it makes her create that reality warp it. And now she wont let anyone take it from her!

And you lose all that character development if you cop out with "the devil made her do it"
I think you are underestimating what it would mean to bring the devil into the story, especially if there is a Faustian bargain involved.

Faustian bargains are by their nature tragic or self-defeating for the person who makes them, because what is surrendered is ultimately far more valuable than what is obtained, whether or not the bargainer appreciates that fact.

It's not just a matter of an evil force mind controlling her, it's an evil force promising her something, and unwittingly making her tragic circumstances more tragic, potentially even from the consequences of her own actions. How does that take away the potential for storytelling about grief, loss, and tragedy?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think the biggest questions to answer that will allow things to fall into place are not actually related to who Monica is trying to contact, but instead:

1. Why does Pietro not look like Pietro? If it is a manifestation of her subconscious, it'd look like ATJ, so apart from Darcy specifically mentioning the recast, there is definitely something going on here.
  2. To expand on that, why does he know as much as he does? I don't want to get into "someone wearing wrong Pietro's skin" but it he was instantly more aware of everything going on than even Vision.
  3. Who told Wanda where Vision was? I don't know that this has been brought up as much as it should be. Like, she went to SWORD on a mission to get his body. She knew they were up to something. Someone had to have told her it was there, or did she "feel his lingering presence" re: the Mind Stone?
Most of this has been discussed, but I needed to lay it out cleanly for myself.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Getting upset by Hollywood and comic book tropes is silly this far into the MCU. Taking shortcuts in technology logistic to further character and plot in a non hard scifi setting is fine.

I'd argue it's furthering plot at the EXPENSE of character, though, which is the larger issue people have with the SWORD stuff. Motivations and skills are murky at best for anyone outside of arguably Monica. The events happening outside, more often than not, are to shuffle pieces on the board to the right spots, rather than growing organically from how those characters would/should be acting.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not baiting you.

I just saying in a universe where the was an entire hanger that house multiple Helecarriers under the DC area, find a mobile server unit implausible is silly.

Having a sever building gives a) the group a place to plan out of sight, b) place for Darcy to have direct connection to SWORD file without hacking.

It makes sense for Darcy to stay behind instead of hacking across wifi into millitary system in the back of a vehicle.

I am not upset. And I'm not saying you're baiting me, it's more the overall effect when a criticism is tossed out and a bunch of people run to defend it.

I'll just repeat what I said, more briefly-- the quality of the writing of the SWORD stuff is a lot lower than the rest of the show. I've said why, and the hacking is the smallest part of it (just the one that was being talked about most recently). You can agree or not. You can care or not. It's an observation. It doesn't impede my love of the show, or keep me from rewatching each episode as it comes out.

I'd argue it's furthering plot at the EXPENSE of character, though, which is the larger issue people have with the SWORD stuff. Motivations and skills are murky at best for anyone outside of arguably Monica. The events happening outside, more often than not, are to shuffle pieces on the board to the right spots, rather than growing organically from how those characters would/should be acting.

This, although it's not *that* big a detractor. I realize the runtime is short but Monica could acknowledge that Hayward has a point or that she's taking a huge risk.

I really like Teyonoh Parris's acting in this, but she is working hard to sell some weak material. And it's skipping ahead, but I can't wait to see her in an MCU Nextwave. :)

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
I think the way they'll do it is... Wanda seemed to have accepted Vision's death during Stark's funeral, right? So something must have set her off.

The assumption is that Vision would have simply been stored safely somewhere, as per his will, and there's a good chance he actually was for the last five years. We can probably assume Stark himself made the arrangements, given he indirectly created Vision and he would understand Vision's wish not to be used as a weapon.

So what if SWORD stole Vision's corpse when Stark died and the Avengers were too distracted by red tape and committies and their own problems to notice? Wandavision takes place three weeks after Stark died and we know Wanda broke into a SWORD compound nine days before. That means SWORD could have had Vision's body for up to twelve days before Wanda took it back.

What if the reason they haven't told us where the SWORD facility was is because it was in Westview? Maybe the reason SWORD mobilised so quickly (within twenty four hours) is because Hayward knows they have a secret lab there which he set up to pull apart Vision's corpse and figure out what makes it tick.

That would mean Wanda didn't actually go anywhere and maybe the reason we only saw her break into the compound through bad security camera footage is because, otherwise, we'd see Agnes or Dottie there.

I'm on board.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I've "ignored" the leak thread. I knew Fox Pietro was coming and it would have absolutely blown my mind if I didnt.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
There are only 3 characters at that point in the story that they could have given the organic ability of knowing how to hack to get important hidden information. They have Monica, who needs to be meeting her engineer to get in the Hex, an FBI agent, and a science expert.

I think it's probably fine they give that ability to Darcy, because the alternative is our heroes trying to get the files out of the computer the easy way
iu

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
There are only 3 characters at that point in the story that they could have given the organic ability of knowing how to hack to get important hidden information. They have Monica, who needs to be meeting her engineer to get in the Hex, an FBI agent, and a science expert.

I think it's probably fine they give that ability to Darcy, because the alternative is our heroes trying to get the files out of the computer the easy way
iu
She does have the advantage of being on-site of the server she's trying to access. It's really hard to block someone who has physical server access.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
A funko pop of pietro in his Halloween costume got announced today, but if you look at the box image of it, it potentially has a spoiler on it, just a warning.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a Dark Willow angle is certainly the best way for this to play out. Wanda playing the villain because she's so alone after losing Vision, Clint showing up and refusing to give up on Wanda and Wanda breaking down because she didn't think she had anyone else after she lost Vision, is the kind of emotional catharsis I think this show should end on.

Then Wanda can go hang out with Doctor Strange so he can teach her how to control her increasingly bonkers magical powers.

The problem with Wanda being entirely at fault is that she's then guilty of brainwashing an entire town into playing out her sitcom fantasy with Vision's corpse against their will, with the potential threat of spreading her Hex further outward. Unless she's completely insane she's crossed the Moral Event Horizon, one that justifies throwing her into the Raft for the rest of her life and in turn validates everything Hayward's doing. She is at this point a straight-up villain, so having her skip out punishment to rehab with Dr. Strange is going to throw a lot of people off.

Hackneyed as it may be, there needs to be some kind of secret mastermind manipulating her against her own will to keep her anywhere in the ballpark of redeemable.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
What if it was all a dream ? Ending in the most sitcom way possible

Jul 10, 2020
Here's the POP Figure box, I've hid it behind spoilers.

It may be nothing, it maybe everything.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
The problem with Wanda being entirely at fault is that she's then guilty of brainwashing an entire town into playing out her sitcom fantasy with Vision's corpse against their will, with the potential threat of spreading her Hex further outward. Unless she's completely insane she's crossed the Moral Event Horizon, one that justifies throwing her into the Raft for the rest of her life and in turn validates everything Hayward's doing. She is at this point a straight-up villain, so having her skip out punishment to rehab with Dr. Strange is going to throw a lot of people off.

Hackneyed as it may be, there needs to be some kind of secret mastermind manipulating her against her own will to keep her anywhere in the ballpark of redeemable.

Strange is probably the only one in the MCU who has some capacity to keep her under control. Maybe he is putting her in the mirror dimension. With her insane power, she could very well be the next big bad in the MCU. Wanda doesn't need to be redeemable.

Jul 10, 2020
Does anybody have an CLEAN shots of Billy and Tommy's room? I feel like that would be a great place for the Wandavision Team to place easter eggs.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine how much revenue and collective time is sapped over people on YouTube who have opinions

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that funko pop is a spoiler either way tbh
We already know he's not Pietro Maximoff. Whether he's Mephisto secretly or Peter Maximoff from the X-Men universe or someone else is still up in the air

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018