• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Well I know Strange is slated to appear in Spider-Man 3, but I just didn't know if it tied into it or not.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dennings playing the "quirky hacker who figures everything out" trope is not workin for me either
might be the worst part of the entire show, honestly
For me it was like oh, the PhD astrophysicist is also a genius hacker who can get through the security of a top secret government agency in seconds. Sure. lol

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
dennings playing the "quirky hacker who figures everything out" trope is not workin for me either
might be the worst part of the entire show, honestly

Maybe SWORD is really bad at computers? Mostly she just seemed to be opening folders.

I'm okay with Kat being whatever, because Jimmy Woo is so great. I want a whole Jimmy Woo show that's just him being a stand-up guy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
For me it was like oh, the PhD astrophysicist is also a genius hacker who can get through the security of a top secret government agency in seconds. Sure. lol

Eh, she was literally standing in their server room. If you're going to hack into a place with magic Hollywood nerd hacking powers, literally connecting to their host servers is a pretty believable place to do that.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
A buddy mentioned to me he thinks SWORD analyzing Vision's corpse is how we actually end up with Sentinels...
Why would anyone build Sentinels?

The Sentinels were specifically built to deal with the "mutant problem" even if you wanted to be fair and add Enhanced humans your talking about 4 people total.

When the show is over there is going to be:

No big mutant reveal
No Magneto
No Sentinels
No Reveal if the Fox-Men are now in the MCU

I will literally eat anything you want if any of things any of those things happen.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

The Sentinels were specifically built to deal with the "mutant problem" even if you wanted to be fair and add Enhanced humans your talking about 4 people total.

No big mutant reveal
No Magneto
No Sentinels
No Reveal if the Fox-Men

I will literally eat anything you want if anythingif any of those things happen.

Also, like, the Sentinel Project is specifically Bolivar Trask's baby. Why diminish that by having it tied to a non-X-Men character?

Flanker358

Oct 25, 2017
dunno but Mephisto/QS devil hints seems too obvious to me and is a misdirect, like why would he pick a different look Pietro to get Wanda to trust him, same look Pietro accomplish that way cleaner. I think it's actually Agnes that brought him over and is controlling him, as she is the one that shows up always in the right time for her; and QS basically is Agnes' role as helper this episode. Both of them also brought up Vision being dead.

Last edited:

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, she was literally standing in their server room. If you're going to hack into a place with magic Hollywood nerd hacking powers, literally connecting to their host servers is a pretty believable place to do that.

Yeah, they not only make an explicit point of getting into the server room but Darcy stays behind with the heavy implication that to keep digging she has to stay in said room.

Compared to other examples even within the MCU it's pretty fair.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018

No big mutant reveal
No Magneto
No Sentinels

I will literally eat anything you want if any of things any of those things happen.
Also we're not getting an X-Men movie until at least 2023, probably later, so what would be the point in introducing them in such a heavy-handed manner if they'd just be glorified cameos for the next two years?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm hoping that the mystery guest will be
Hank McCoy and his X gene gets activated from the radiation of the Hex. Apparently one of the names on Heyward's files is a Mutant connected to Wolverine and Weapon Plus.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Also, like, the Sentinel Project is specifically Bolivar Trask's baby. Why diminish that by having it tied to a non-X-Men character?
Ultron was Hank Pym's baby
Hope Van Dyne was a villain
Black Widow was older than Captain America
Hela was Loki's daughter

Things change and the MCU has adapted plenty of things to fit in its own way. The SWORD director has a pretty harsh angle on superpowered people already, and has no problem using force to eliminate them before really understanding the situation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ultron was Hank Pym's baby
Hope Van Dyne was a villain
Black Widow was older than Captain America
Hela was Loki's daughter

Things change and the MCU has adapted plenty of things to fit in its own way. The SWORD director has a pretty harsh angle on superpowered people already, and has no problem using force to eliminate them before really understanding the situation.

Right, but the Sentinels are made to kill mutants. That is the entire point of them.

There are other machine bad guys that the MCU could use to hunt random unspecified supers, and it would allow them to not WASTE Sentinels before we even get mutants proper.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Right, but the Sentinels are made to kill mutants. That is the entire point of them.

There are other machine bad guys that the MCU could use to hunt random unspecified supers, and it would allow them to not WASTE Sentinels before we even get mutants proper.
Because there's still plenty of reason for the militarization of killer robots?

When has the military not wanted killer robots?

I'm not saying Wandavision "is about the sentinels", but it could be them planting a seed to pay off later. Which is entirely what the MCU does.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Because there's still plenty of reason for the militarization of killer robots?

When has the military not wanted killer robots?

I'm not saying Wandavision "is about the sentinels", but it could be them planting a seed to pay off later. Which is entirely what the MCU does.

I just don't see the connective tissue. You want to argue SWORD is gonna use Vision tech to mass produce an evil robot, I'm fully in agreement with you. That is almost definitely what Hayward wants to do.

I just don't think it's going to lead to Sentinels specifically.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ya know I'd take them making Nimrod or Master Mold.

I would expect them to mass produce this guy:

KBj0NqNIjSdl.jpg

Rather than making something like Nimrod or Master Mold.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel that's kinda what the did with Vision in the series. They didn't make him emotionless, but they just removed his memories.

I imagine the idea SWORD wants is, like...a perfect army of Visions that just follow orders and do what they're told, rather than autonomous synthezoids with feelings and opinions and the ability to question the judgment of their creators.

Basically, my guess is that Hayward wants to redo Stark's "suit of armor for the world" concept, but without the risk of an AI that can go rogue and become a new Ultron. Drones, rather than independent robots.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

No big mutant reveal
No Magneto
No Sentinels

I think they'll start out as an "Avengers replacement" project that nobody in any true position of power takes seriously, then they'll be rushed into mass production when mutants arrive on the scene.

I also think we're more likely to see human sized sentinels with Vision's image inducer tech allowing them to blend in (like the Prime Sentinels) , with very rare appearances by the giant mecha versions because that's more practical and terrifying.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I don't buy Pietro as the Skywalker-tier appearance. Their biggest get shows up halfway into the series? Gonna be a finale thing for sure. Like Luke was.

To be fair, people keep saying that Elizabeth Olsen didn't actually say "Skywalker-tier cameo" or anything of the sort. Personally, I haven't looked at what she actually said, but I was under the impression that she thinks the audience would be surprised, like how most people were surprised by Peter showing up instead of Pietro. But yeah, if there is such an appearance from another character, then I agree that they would likely show up in the finale.

I'm expecting the intro to someone from F4. If it was someone we have seen already in the MCU they would've just said their name instead of teasing as Monica's friend

I think the most realistic expectation would be Talos' daughter, who she got along with in Captain Marvel. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's a major character like Reed Richards.

I think it's fair not to expect Sentinels, but if they do build Sentinels, maybe the idea behind them would pretty much be like the idea behind the Hulkbuster armor. Maybe they'd be built as a way to deal with rogue or mind-controlled superheroes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Given the reason Stark created Ultron and Vision in AoU, you'd think that after the Blip and Endgame, "building a suit of armor for the world" would be at the top of normal human's to do list. It's not Sentinals, it's the Iron Legion (essentially) that they want to build.

Exactly. I don't know why people are jumping to Sentinels specifically when mutants aren't even going to be a thing on a large scale for several years. It's much more likely we'd see another Iron Legion or mass-produced Ultron drones vs. burning the Sentinel concept several years before the X-Men will be showing up in MCU media.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Exactly. I don't know why people are jumping to Sentinels specifically when mutants aren't even going to be a thing on a large scale for several years. It's much more likely we'd see another Iron Legion or mass-produced Ultron drones vs. burning the Sentinel concept several years before the X-Men will be showing up in MCU media.
People are jumping for it because they are desperate for the Mutants/Fox X-Men connection. Desperate.

Nov 27, 2020
This could be paving the way for a return of Ultron…and this is now just me making shit up…but what if we get pieces of this across FaWS, Loki, Hawkeye and the rest of the upcoming series, leading to a limited series where the New Avengers/Young Avengers take on a reconstituted Ultron? Avengers: The TV Series, if you will.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I think it's fair not to expect Sentinels, but if they do build Sentinels, maybe the idea behind them would pretty much be like the idea behind the Hulkbuster armor. Maybe they'd be built as a way to deal with rogue or mind-controlled superheroes.
That is a good idea. But like I said earlier there aren't a lot of enhanced humans in the MCU.

There is Cap, Spidey, Wanda, Pietro (who is dead) and if your are being mean, Luke Cage, Daredevil, Nuke, Jessica Jones and Patsy.

That isn't enough fear to create killer robots.

Also everyone... Read What If? Civil War. Sentinels show up and its good.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They may not be Sentinels, but they're clearly an attempt to make more humanoid AI murder robots.

While I hate the idea they're retreading steps that led to a catastrophe causing anti-Avenger sentiment and think it makes little narrative sense, it does make sense for characters to do so in the 5-year void after an alien showed up out of nowhere and killed half the planet (and the universe, but I imagine these people dgaf of losses outside of Earth).

The fact they're likely not Sentinels means they may have to do this storyline a THIRD time by the time they actually want to cover Sentinels. Which is why I wouldn't be opposed if these were Sentinels; it's already narratively redundant, so have it be redundant once only instead of twice. Hell, maybe say this SWORD initiative is the precursor to Sentinels, and Boliver Trask is a SWORD employee overseeing the project

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Vision 'absorb' Ultron at the end of AoU? Maybe SWORD didn't want to weaponize Vision per se; They want to extract Ultron from Vision's remnants. For an organization focused on countering space threats, an AI made by the late Tony Stark in a paranoid state of mind seems like a holy grail.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was the idea that Hayward is a Skrull ever get floated?

Yup, a couple times. It's not totally outlandish. Maybe he's one of the bad Skrulls who hates Danvers.

Also worth noting is it seems Skrulls may be common knowledge outside of SWORD/the FBI. In the FatWS Superbowl trailer, there's a shot where they're fighting and it looks like there's a wall of decapitated Skrull heads (at the 1:10 mark) Apparently they're ape skulls, rip

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They may not be Sentinels, but they're clearly an attempt to make more humanoid AI murder robots.

While I hate the idea they're retreading steps that led to a catastrophe causing anti-Avenger sentiment and think it makes little narrative sense, it does make sense for characters to do so in the 5-year void after an alien showed up out of nowhere and killed half the planet (and the universe, but I imagine these people dgaf of losses outside of Earth).

The fact they're likely not Sentinels means they may have to do this storyline a THIRD time by the time they actually want to cover Sentinels. Which is why I wouldn't be opposed if these were Sentinels; it's already narratively redundant, so have it be redundant once only instead of twice. Hell, maybe say this SWORD initiative is the precursor to Sentinels, and Boliver Trask is a SWORD employee overseeing the project

I think the more logical way to handle it is to just...have Hayward's plan fail. They never actually manage to mass produce Vision because of the end of this season, either because he survives or because he destroys himself/Wanda destroys him to keep him out of their hands. This frees them up from burning the same concept three times and lets it be much fresher when we DO get to Sentinels in like six years.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Yup, a couple times. It's not totally outlandish. Maybe he's one of the bad Skrulls who hates Danvers.

Also worth noting is it seems Skrulls may be common knowledge outside of SWORD/the FBI. In the FatWS Superbowl trailer, there's a shot where they're fighting and it looks like there's a wall of decapitated Skrull heads (at the 1:10 mark)

They're not... I made the same point in the FWS thread and then it was pointed out they're just ape skulls (a behind the scenes set photo was posted which clearly shows this).

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
That is a good idea. But like I said earlier there aren't a lot of enhanced humans in the MCU.

There is Cap, Spidey, Wanda, Pietro (who is dead) and if your are being mean, Luke Cage, Daredevil, Nuke, Jessica Jones and Patsy.

That isn't enough fear to create killer robots.

That's another fair point. The only other idea would be to have them be backup for the Avengers, though I seriously doubt that they would introduce Sentinels in that way. To be honest, I always thought the idea of "They're using Vision's corpse as a prototype for Sentinels" was a bit of a leap, but they do seem to be building something from his corpse. My comic book knowledge is limited, so I wouldn't know what that would be.