• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maria died when Monica was snapped do you guys think its because of meblipsto

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Every character in the hex isn't behaving like themselves at all though, until Vision pokes them in the head. So you can't discount Quicksilver just yet.
Well, that's true. If so, I'm assuming it happens next episode. But... QS seems be in the know. So I don't think the poking in the head will change anything, because he's not under Wanda's spell at all, it seems.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I'm 100% convinced that Pietro is Mephisto, it's so on the nose with what he said and his general acting, it's definitely what's happening, I guarantee this, which unfortunately also means he won't be Fox Quicksilver, which incredibly sucks.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Maria died when Monica was snapped do you guys think its because of meblipsto
Doesn't sound right for Mephisto. For it to play right, Monica would've needed to make a bargain with Mephisto. And Mephisto would've made sure Maria lived until old age so she could suffer with the knowledge until she died an old 100 year old lady.

Oct 28, 2017
I think everyone in Westview suffered a loss and made some arrangement with the big bad. Norm was freaking out about his dad who was in the hospital. And it creates a clear parallel with Monica losing her mom, Wanda losing Vision.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
And they roll out the surprise casting choice of David Puddy (Patrick Warburton) for Mephisto
tenor.gif

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
In a show , set in the same Universe where a guy is shooting computer virus arrows while being being mind controlled by a god, Darcy being a decent hacker is taking some people out?

Another note. In almost none of the MCU movies plus Netflix shows were we introduced to the villain in the last act. It could certainly be different here, but time runs out and someone like Mephisto or Nightmare jumping in front of everyone, explaining who he is and what his powers are doesn't seem plausible imo.

Hope they get some psychiatrists ready for the mass PTSD the event is causing. Shit has gotten pretty dark this episode. I certainly wouldn't want to be a normal person in the MCU.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My question about this week's commercial is what's the significance of not starring that same man and woman from all the others?

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
In a show , set in the same Universe where a guy is shooting computer virus arrows while being being mind controlled by a god, Darcy being a decent hacker is taking some people out?

Another note. In almost none of the MCU movies plus Netflix shows were we introduced to the villain in the last act. It could certainly be different here, but time runs out and someone like Mephisto or Nightmare jumping in front of everyone, explaining who he is and what his powers are doesn't seem plausible imo.

Hope they get some psychiatrists ready for the mass PTSD the event is causing. Shit has gotten pretty dark this episode. I certainly wouldn't want to be a normal person in the MCU.

But I do think it is different because Disney clearly wants us to be talking and theorizing every week.
My guess is we will only know what we are facing either on episode 8 (episode 9 just being a showdown) or episode 9 itself.

Keving Feige is watching this thread move a thousand pages per day and going "excellent".

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Because that's how Wanda sees it.

Pietro was willing to die saving lives

I highly doubt anyone in-universe actually sees it as anything but a noble sacrifice.

The only way Wanda sees it like this is if she, either by grief, through a third-party, or both, has become corrupted into seeing it more selfishly.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
On rewatch Pietro's "shot like a chump in the street" line jumped out at me as an odd way to describe a deliberate self-sacrifice to save someone else

admittedly the one guy who can outrun a bullet getting killed by bullets is as dumb as Darwin in X-Men first class dying.

if it was X-Men Quicksilver in MCU we would of had some amazing slowdown scene swatting bullets away, maybe getting shot through the hand or something.

Nov 27, 2020
That's actually a really good point. Outside of little Easter eggs and bits of dialogue there isn't any real clue that there's a "villain" outside of the SWORD agent. No idea what their abilities are, what their goals and motivations are…if you look at where the series seems to actually be pointing, the villain is Wanda herself.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Y'all never considered that they could merging nightmare and Mephisto into one character.
Don't know if there's precedent in the comic, but why not both memphisto and nightmare working together. Their goal is to get the kids, Memphisto get Billy, Nightmare get Tommy. They're even color coded with red and green.

Wand will team up with Dr Strange to save the kids in MoM

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
But I do think it is different because Disney clearly wants us to be talking and theorizing every week.
My guess is we will only know what we are facing either on episode 8 (episode 9 just being a showdown) or episode 9 itself.

Keving Feige is watching this thread move a thousand pages per day and going "excellent".

Sure, but the question is "are they throwing us hints or are they throwing us Easter eggs?" We'd be theorizing either way, but in the end , the MCU has always been about accessibility and not something that only comic book readers get or understand.

Something like "sword wanted to get vision up and running but couldn't do it without the power of the mind gem, so they wanted to tricked Wanda into imbuing his body with her powers, which went out of control" would be more on point for the MCU. But I hope I'm wrong.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm thinking it's less complicated than some may have theorized at this point. It's just mostly going to be Wanda although there may be a pusher

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
The last few pages have been a trip. I find it strange how some people read this show. The stuff outside the hex is badly written because Monica knows force isn't going to solve the problem? That they think the correct force of action is to gather more information and to appeal to Wanda directly rather than exacerbate the problem and possibly make things worse?

I don't get the thought process of wanting to put accountability for a problem before resolving it. Or do they think the show is not being as condemning as it should be of Wanda before we even learn what her circumstance is or how even in control of it all she is (when the last few episodes have explicitly muddled that)? It's weird.

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The last few pages have been a trip. I find it strange how some people read this show. The stuff outside the hex is badly written because Monica knows force isn't going to solve the problem? That they think the correct force of action is to gather more information and to appeal to Wanda directly rather than exacerbate the problem and possibly make things worse?

I don't get the thought process of wanting to put accountability for a problem before resolving it. Or do they think the show is not being as condemning as it should be of Wanda before we even learn what her circumstance is or how even in control of it all she is? It's weird.

That's not the argument bing made. I haven't seen anyone say that.

Nov 27, 2020
Yeah I'm thinking it's less complicated than some may have theorized at this point. It's just mostly going to be Wanda although there may be a pusher
That post up thread pointing out how late it is in the show to introduce a villain, their powers, motivation, goals, etc., and let that conflict play out, makes sense for me. You'd need an entire episode to establish that, and there's no indication that's happening. The "villain" is Wanda. She's grieving, and she's trying to cope, but as someone who's both human and one of the most powerful beings in existence. The showdown will likely be between the SWORD force and Wanda and Vision, but Wanda facing her grief and why she took this town hostage is the climax of the story.

Now, that doesn't mean that we aren't going to get a post-credits tease of a shadowy force that's been in the town the whole time, setting up Doctor Strange 2, but I don't think we're getting any "bad guys" in the series proper. Nothing is pointing that direction.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
If we'd cut down civil war into nine episodes, we'd be at a point where we theorize how the heroes beat the other super serum soldiers, what their strengths are etc probably without realizing that there wasn't any motivation set up why they should fight them in the first place. It was always just a simple revenge plot by Zemo.

Agatha and co could just be a distraction from a far more simple plot here too. One that involves SWORD and Wanda only with some glimpses of SWORD hiding something just in the latest episode.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
That post up thread pointing out how late it is in the show to introduce a villain, their powers, motivation, goals, etc., and let that conflict play out, makes sense for me. You'd need an entire episode to establish that, and there's no indication that's happening. The "villain" is Wanda. She's grieving, and she's trying to cope, but as someone who's both human and one of the most powerful beings in existence. The showdown will likely be between the SWORD force and Wanda and Vision, but Wanda facing her grief and why she took this town hostage is the climax of the story.

Now, that doesn't mean that we aren't going to get a post-credits tease of a shadowy force that's been in the town the whole time, setting up Doctor Strange 2, but I don't think we're getting any "bad guys" in the series proper. Nothing is pointing that direction.

She said a few times now she doesn't know how this all began, she had psychic powers before, but reality altering is new and this is a huge reality altering power: turning a town into a sitcom that is being broadcast with production values is a huge power.

You may be right, but I would be disappointed if such a huge part of the show premise is left as a cliffhanger for Doctor Strange 2.
She is not only taking them hostage, it is a sitcom. It is front and center and everything revolves around this being a sitcom. The how of such an enormous display of unprecedented power can't be left hanging. And whatever answer needs to be confronted somehow.

Wanda went from telekinesis on Endgame to glowing her eyes and a military base altering its molecular structure to resemble a circus tent with agents being turned into clowns. That's waaaaaaay of a power surge to not have a crucial external element doing it. And if whatever the source of this game-changing power is "Wanda will return on Doctor Strange", then fuck this show, tbh.

Other possibility is "oh, yeah, she always could change reality fundamentally on a molecular level, she just never done it before".

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I disagree for a couple of reasons.

1) They've already established a couple of paths this could go - it's not just going to end on a "oh, it was just Wanda" because then every hint is just a red herring. There's a ton of stuff Wanda herself isn't aware of or able to control, and they're going to have to explain that.
2) The episodes aren't of one standard length. They could do a longer episode for the sake of more neatly introducing stuff
3) Of the characters introduced, I feel like Pietro, Hayward, or Agnes are most likely the additional forces. Nothing has to appear out of nowhere at this point.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
this is certainly the best episode so far, but its taken a while to get there. they're slowly moving away from the sitcom stuff entirely except the first 5 minutes or so of each episode. its like saying "ok, we're bored of this concept, but don't want to completely abandon it"

anyway, there's still a lot of obfuscation going on, so its hard to really make sense of much of anything going on. this show feels more and more like an elongated movie; people are even saying this is like the beginning of "act 3." it is at least more interesting now.

if 2000s is the Office/2 Broke Girls
2010s will be Jersey Shore (i mean... they're in New Jersey)
2020s, will just be the literal death of sitcoms.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I hope they don't do this, honestly. Being a weird divergent/incursion point between universes, and going through the barrier multiple times giving some people like Monica powers? I'm totally cool with that. But I'm all for mutants being a natural part of humanities evolution and it freaking the majority of people the hell out.

It's just peculiar that they'd go out of their way to make it such a noticeable thing for Monica. I don't think it's the best way for mutants to come into MCU (limited numbers and less of everything) but what could this mean for Monica then?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just peculiar that they'd go out of their way to make it such a noticeable thing for Monica. I don't think it's the best way for mutants to come into MCU (limited numbers and less of everything) but what could this mean for Monica then?

She didn't seem that shocked or bothered by her test results so I wouldn't be surprised at all if she already had her powers and had already been through the whole song and dance about how her body is made of pure energy. She clearly spends a lot of time in space if she's that annoyed at being grounded.

Oct 28, 2017

What if everyone (or a percentage) of people who came back from the snap somehow gained superpowers? Maybe they didn't come back "correctly" or the interaction of certain things with thier genetics give them superpowers? Similar to Wanda and Peitro (interaction with infinity stone powers)?

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
What if everyone (or a percentage) of people who came back from the snap somehow gained superpowers? Maybe they didn't come back "correctly" or the interaction of certain things with thier genetics give them superpowers? Similar to Wanda and Peitro (interaction with infinity stone powers)?

that seems like a convenient (possibly even clever) way to do it, but are they really "mutants" in the traditional sense? The whole thing about mutants is that it is a natural evolutionary thing of humans. it being triggered by an infinity stone cheapens that signficantly IMO

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Gotta say watching this show retroactively makes watching the movies better. Rewatching Infinity War, Ultron, and Civil feels more impactful after seeing their characterization amd relationship more in this show.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I will be upset if he is not Mephisto or someone pretending to be QS tbh.

Also..Wanda definitely didn't make the hex, right? She only took control once it turned red?

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Don't know if there's precedent in the comic, but why not both memphisto and nightmare working together. Their goal is to get the kids, Memphisto get Billy, Nightmare get Tommy. They're even color coded with red and green.

Wand will team up with Dr Strange to save the kids in MoM
But if he or they want the kids, why not take them when they were younger?

It's always the babies that the bad guys want, not the moody teens.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
But if he or they want the kids, why not take them when they were younger?

It's always the babies that the bad guys want, not the moody teens.

Something something they want to have fun helping raise them alongside Wanda only to utterly shatter her with the knowledge of what they did, and how she played a part in it.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
This recent commercial is definitely more vague then any of the others but my thought was QS/whatever other force is in Westview as the shark and wanda as the kid

On the basis that each commercial have simultaneously been references to a part of Wanda's life and a reference to events happening in the show, I think the commercial is both a reference to her prison time where she was isolated and not being able to use her powers in Civil War, and I think it's message in relation to the show is very clear.

Wanda is the boy, she's so filled with grief (hungry) and feels isolated (island), because the love of her life (the fish bones) is dead (it's dead).

Agnes (the crab) summons Mephisto/whoever the heck (raises its arms).

Mephisto says, "Sad? I remember being sad, I used to be like that all the time".

Wanda asks "What did you do?"

Mephisto says "I fed off your magic, now I have time to finish what I started."

Wanda wants some so she can fix her grief (a deal). Mephisto says sure. This leads to Westview.

Wanda is trying to use her magic to get past the grief and isolation, but ultimately after 9 episodes (9 days pass in the commercial if you watch the sun/moon), she fails to truly fix the situation and "dies", while Mephisto is still looming around (the shark is still there around the island waiting for the end of the commercial) the whole time.