• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I love Wanda vision,

But is it just me and are those 30 minutes episodes not working anymore now that we have 'two worlds'? The last 3 episodes I often have the feeling 'is It finished already?' A story with so many details, I just feel 40 to 50 minutes episodes would have worked better to flesh out things a little more.

The Mandalorian also had those 30 minutes episodes but it didn't bother me as much as it does here. Am I really the only one?

I do think the episodes are too short, yeah. Every time one ends I'm like "damn, already?"

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
They can still make it work if they want. How would you go about introducing mutants to the MCU?
As I've said multiple times you just include them in a movie. It doesn't need explanation any more than any other thing in the MCU needed explanation.

They exist. Why weren't they involved in conflict a or conflict b? Because they weren't.

It doesn't need a grand "this or that" caused it because mutants are the next natural stage of human evolution.

If you HAVE to get cute about it, there has been always been mutants but they have been on the rise, increasing since the Snap and Blip released radiation across the world.

But even that I find necessary.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone debating if this is how mutants are introduced, but I think it's setting up inhumans instead. Wanda's hex is the new Terrigan Mist, Kamala lives in New Jersey. And Marvel can officially canonize that Inhumans are like Mutants, but from New Jersey. /s

Considering there are teases for him in both Falcon & Winter Soldier and Loki, I think he's a new saga villain. I dunno if he's THE saga villain, though. Could easily be someone else. They have a lot of possible candidates from Mephisto and Kang, to unintroduced ones like Doom.

What is the Mephisto tease in FatWS? I know there's a stained glass of some devil-like entity in one of the Loki trailers.

So did Wanda actually put together Vision's corpse? Since that vision of Pietro was her being reminded of her trauma again, which indicates Vision isn't a reanimated corpse under the facade.

Most likely, since SWORD is tracking his decaying Vibranium.

If Agnes isn't Agatha then shit I just don't know anymore.

I think it's going to be one of those situations where the name "Agatha Harkness" won't actually be said in the show, we're just meant to accept that Agnes is innately the Agatha of the MCU as-is. The MCU adaptation of the character changed her name (and potentially her role, from mentor to antagonist?) but is otherwise, clearly the same.

That was a great episode, minus the sudden "Darcy is a scientist, so she is an elite hacker and biologist and cosmologist because that's science" stuff.

Agreed, I mentally explained it away as "she was able to hack it easily because she had direct physical access to their server room, and simply read notes that SWORD doctors typed in Monica's files about her biology changing. But I know that's definitely not the case.

He's clearly aware of the anomaly on a level that other people aren't. Whether that's because of his superpowers (Quicksilver has superspeed even in his THOUGHT processes), or because Wanda CONSCIOUSLY isn't influencing him as much as everyone else because family, or because she created him herself, there's a lot of ways you could explain his ability to see through the anomaly more than others.

To add to this, he also clearly lied twice (first, like everyone already noted, he said he had no memory between getting shot and hearing Wanda call for him despite knowing about Vision's death. The second is similar - he asks "who's this popsicle" as if he didn't know who Vision was, but the aforementioned quote reveals this was also a lie)

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Still convinced that Agnes is an ally of some sort. She's been too helpful, but now she's lost when Pietro shows up. And I am convinced there's something sinister going on with him. The stuff he knows about the town, the stuff he doesn't about their childhood. I have no idea why he has a different face, and like I said 1,000,000 posts ago, the MCU isn't known for stunt casting the way the CW is-- so I assume there will be some reason given ultimately.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
To add to this, he also clearly lied twice (first, like everyone already noted, he said he had no memory between getting shot and hearing Wanda call for him despite knowing about Vision's death. The second is similar - he asks "who's this popsicle" as if he didn't know who Vision was, but the aforementioned quote reveals this was also a lie)

I think "who's the popsicle" was just a joke, but yeah.

FaultLineBlues

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2020
If Pietro really is an antagonist shapeshifted or something like that, why wouldn't they just shapeshift into the Quicksilver Wanda already knows and skip the suspicion side of things? Wouldn't it be easier to get information out of her that way? Sure, there's the explanation of "to taunt her" but that doesn't necessarily seem to be the goal of the antagonist (if there is one), considering Wanda is currently trying her best to make an idyllic life for herself, and was likely spurred to do so by Mephisto/Nightmare/Agnes or whoever the potential baddie is.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
Haven't seen a fan base this fired up w speculation and theories week-to-week since Steven Universe pre-Pink Diamond reveal.

"Rose is ALIVE, she's the LION! No, she's Pink Diamond! No, she's secretly waiting for STEVEN to DIE so she can COME OUT! No NONE of you are right, it's classic Rebecca Sugar misdirection, Rose has Pink Diamond bubbled in the TREASURE CHEST. No, there IS no Pink Diamond, it's actually RED DIAMOND and the other diamonds said she died but actually have her locked away cuz she's EVIL and pinned the murder on ROSE"

Mephisto is Pink Diamond.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling more and more like there is no Mephisto. Likely either they're fusing his comics role into Nightmare or Agnes (or both?). I only say this because it feels like Persona 4 Arena all over again. I mentioned it earlier (and copy-pasting below) but with every bit of proof, my gut reminds me of how the villain of P1/2 DEFINITELY came back for P4Arena.

When the first P4 Arena released, it seemed crazy obvious that Nyarlathotep, the big bad from Persona 1/2 was back! It made sense.
  • The tactics this mysterious entity used in Kanji's story mode lined up exactly with Nyarly's shenanigans in P2, and dialogue before/after the final battle in Naoto's and the P3 characters' story alluded to this too.
  • The Malevolent entity needed to team up with a human to fuck with people, much like Nyarlathotep needed to in P1-2.
  • At the end of P2 EP, Nyarlathotep promised he would return and seek vengeance on humanity.
  • It was implied that members of P1 and 2 joined Mitsuru's anti-shadow force.
  • The announcer of the battles is the same voice actor (in English at least) who did Nyarlathotep in P2 Innocent Sin PSP remake.
It was hype as fuck, not only to fans of the Persona 1 and the 2 duology, but to people who never played it and only had passing knowledge of those games (like myself at the time). It made the Arena games truly feel like a celebration of the entire series, even though there were no P1 or 2 characters playable! And it got some people to finally play through the old games before the Persona 4 Arena sequel released (in my case, just the Persona 2 duology)...

...Then Ultimax released and it turned out to be some random evil Japanese god pulled out of nowhere who was never alluded to and no one ever could have predicted prior to the reveal in Ultimax. 🙄

Getting the impression that the blatantly obvious lines like "hell-spawn" are just going to be explained away by the writers as references to the comic Mephisto's role in Billy and Tommy's origin, but not any MCU Mephisto.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

Or he just got up to speed (pun intended) meanwhile. Vision also has no memory before Westview and yet he knows a lot of things from Wanda.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If Pietro really is an antagonist shapeshifted or something like that, why wouldn't they just shapeshift into the Quicksilver Wanda already knows and skip the suspicion side of things? Wouldn't it be easier to get information out of her that way? Sure, there's the explanation of "to taunt her" but that doesn't necessarily seem to be the goal of the antagonist (if there is one), considering Wanda is currently trying her best to make an idyllic life for herself, and was likely spurred to do so by Mephisto/Nightmare/Agnes or whoever the potential baddie is.
He's dead. My guess is it's closer to possession or injected false memories.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if it's not Pietro he could have just seen it on TV, like everyone else. I don't see how knowing this is a sign towards real Pietro, rather than the opposite.

I think you misunderstood. I wasn't saying it was a sign that it was the real Peitro, I was saying it was a sign that it's not.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Haven't seen a fan base this fired up w speculation and theories week-to-week since Steven Universe pre-Pink Diamond reveal.

"Rose is ALIVE, she's the LION! No, she's Pink Diamond! No, she's secretly waiting for STEVEN to DIE so she can COME OUT! No NONE of you are right, it's classic Rebecca Sugar misdirection, Rose has Pink Diamond bubbled in the TREASURE CHEST. No, there IS no Pink Diamond, it's actually RED DIAMOND and the other diamonds said she died but actually have her locked away cuz she's EVIL and pinned the murder on ROSE"

Mephisto is Pink Diamond.
Yep, this how I feel too. I'm leaving the possibility open that it's Mephisto but I'm not convinced it's as "obvious" as others in this thread think.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So I've been thinking for a while, and this episode has driven it home that I believe that this is going to be used as the backdoor way for how Kamala Khan gets her super powers. I thought it was suspicious that the events of this series was taking place in New Jersey but with this episode

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah you're right. Not sure if hes lying or not, but he's trying to keep her under the impression that what shes doing is not as bad as Vision says. Vision was coming to the conclusion that the kids in Westview were in the same kind of agony that Norm was. Maybe they're not though, Wanda would never consciously go that far.

nah those kids are terrified and traumatized. They'll have a hard time accepting reality as reality whenever this anomaly ends.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I didn't read that part as him actually crossing the barrier. It was elastic and continued to envelope him, pulling him back in, but he fought it and was pulled apart. We still don't know what happens if he truly escapes it.

He did cross the barrier; like, physically crossed it. There were tendrils of the barrier clinging to him and perhaps extending his existence (or, for all we know, the opposite), but at least it's not an on/off switch; he doesn't just drop dead. Although technically we already knew that the changes within the hex persist outside it, it's not a bad thing to have more confirmation that his resurrection has at least some ontological inertia.

I'm waffling back and forth on that. I was expecting him to immediately drop back into a lifeless husk the moment he breached the Hex barrier and not even be able to get the chance to ask for help. That he was able to remain "Vision" for even just that moment was promising. However it could be argued he was never fully outside of the Hex in the way that he was still mostly covered in its energy and was still having to really exert himself just to get a few feet outside of the barrier. And he was breaking down the further he got away from it.

I'm hopeful that it means that yes, even for just a moment, this magically revived Vision can actually exist within the real world, even for just an instant, and that there can be some way to extend that limitation to keep him alive in the real world. Same goes for the kids. I shudder to think what would happen if they breached the anomaly.

That's exactly my take. My hope / expectation is that when the show is done, the new status quo will include a live Vision as well as teenaged versions of the kids with their comic book power sets. Pietro is very much in the air; I'd love to have Evan Peters' Pietro moving forward but... we'll see.

With how Pietro is behaving, my guess is he is QS from another universe who was abducted by a malicious force because they needed someone with Pietro's powers to play the role. And they're not capable of raising the dead. It can still be a purposeful easter egg that he is Quicksilver from the Fox universe.

What is interesting is the way it sure seems "Pietro" really wants to know where Wanda got this power. Which implies our malicious/Mephisto force isn't responsible for actually powering her up. With those trailer scenes of Wanda confronting the Mind Stone, I wonder: could she have tried pulling the Mind Stone atoms back in order to fix Vision? She uncreated it. She must remember what it felt like to disassemble it.

Except she couldn't quite put it back together and instead, something happened with that power.

Also, Wanda's detached musing over the morality of what she is doing reinforces to me that she is influenced as well when she's inside the hex. She's being psionically drugged to slow her thinking and keep her in a dreamlike state of acceptance.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Having just watched the masterpiece Ghost Rider 2 on the telly tonight, I do wonder how they'll explain Mephisto if it's him.
The Asgardians are aliens and magic so far has been explained as advanced science...but how do you explain away The Devil or at least the closest thing to him?
Are general audiences ready to take that leap?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
With those trailer scenes of Wanda confronting the Mind Stone, I wonder: could she have tried pulling the Mind Stone atoms back in order to fix Vision?

That would be one hell of a feat indeed, considering these atoms wouldn't be anywhere near Earth even if they still exist; they would be scattered around the backwater planet Thanos retreated to to destroy the gems.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing they skipped Full House because it was too on the nose.

Plus Family Ties can account for early 90s too.

Next EP is likely the Modern Family one

I hope Darcy doesn't become something tortured if the circus is still in play for the next episode, would likely be she's a waitress or crazier yet, the ringmaster of the circus.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Fun episode, probably my favorite sitcom one at least.

Was not expecting MitM so soon, but I guess they were going for the blended 90s/00s with Parent Trap (98?) playing in the theater with the Incredibles (04).

Loved the Kick-Ass reference and hated the "getting shot in the street like a chump" because it was too true. Fuck you Whedon.

I like that this series acknowledges that Quicksilver could've easily saved Hawkeye & that pedestrian at any time, but his death was only there to artificially raise the stakes of the story, along with subverting expectations for the sake of it. It was such a fucking stupid moment in that movie.

Could you imagine Quicksilver in Endgame, where he's constantly patroling the world five years after Thanos doing the dirty deed, along with the fact that once Wanda comes back into existence, he's five years older to his twin?

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
He did cross the barrier; like, physically crossed it. There were tendrils of the barrier clinging to him and perhaps extending his existence (or, for all we know, the opposite), but at least it's not an on/off switch; he doesn't just drop dead. Although technically we already knew that the changes within the hex persist outside it, it's not a bad thing to have more confirmation that his resurrection has at least some ontological inertia.

That's exactly my take. My hope / expectation is that when the show is done, the new status quo will include a live Vision as well as teenaged versions of the kids with their comic book power sets. Pietro is very much in the air; I'd love to have Evan Peters' Pietro moving forward but... we'll see.
He crossed a line. He didn't break through the hex barrier though. He struggled against it like he was caught in a net. He was still enveloped by it after taking several steps past what otherwise appeared to be the boundary... until we saw its elastic nature when it wants to keep someone in.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I also don't get the mutants talk. Wouldn't they just be mutates like Spidey, Hulk, Cap, etc.? Or are we saying that Wanda's field is an explicit force "awakening" an X-gene for some in a sort of Inhuman way (or I guess MCU wanda/pietro way)?

I think mutants should come another way. Anyone getting powers from this, outside her magic kids, are mutates imo.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Also can anyone decipher the ad in this?

My guess
It's about her time in Hydra or could be about Billy himself.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
That would be one hell of a feat indeed, considering these atoms wouldn't be anywhere near Earth even if they still exist; they would be scattered around the backwater planet Thanos retreated to to destroy the gems.
Maybe she tried to pull the atoms together from across the universe and ended up pulling in all sorts of stuff from across the multiverse instead?

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I'm guessing they skipped Full House because it was too on the nose.

Plus Family Ties can account for early 90s too.

Next EP is likely the Modern Family one

I hope Darcy doesn't become something tortured if the circus is still in play for the next episode, would likely be she's a waitress or crazier yet, the ringmaster of the circus.
There was a slight nod to Full House in the intro of the prior episode with the Family Ties/Growing Pains mashup. When they all ran in unison to the camera , that was in Full House I believe

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
With how Pietro is behaving, my guess is he is QS from another universe who was abducted by a malicious force because they needed someone with Pietro's powers to play the role. And they're not capable of raising the dead. It can still be a purposeful easter egg that he is Quicksilver from the Fox universe.

What is interesting is the way it sure seems "Pietro" really wants to know where Wanda got this power. Which implies our malicious/Mephisto force isn't responsible for actually powering her up. With those trailer scenes of Wanda confronting the Mind Stone, I wonder: could she have tried pulling the Mind Stone atoms back in order to fix Vision? She uncreated it. She must remember what it felt like to disassemble it.

Except she couldn't quite put it back together and instead, something happened with that power.

Also, Wanda's detached musing over the morality of what she is doing reinforces to me that she is influenced as well when she's inside the hex. She's being psionically drugged to slow her thinking and keep her in a dreamlike state of acceptance.
I think you're onto something, perhaps she tried to reassemble the mind stone or draw it's power which has been scattered around the earth since it exploded.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
What was the hidden meaning behind the commercial? That one went over my head.

The point behind the commercial, is the kid dies because he can't break the magic seal.

Just like Vision. Ultimately, Wanda's magic isn't enough to sustain everyone.

Alternatively, the product is "Yo Magic," and the kid could be an analogue for Billy. The Hex really wanted Wanda to have kids, and now it really wants Billy to "open" his powers.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Vision seems to be able to neutralize Wanda's magic (which is a new power, he def didn't have that in Civil War).
We might have actually seen Vision's power before in Age of Ultron.

iu

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Okay after that episode I am 100% convinced that isn't the real Pietro.

"Last thing I remember is that I was shot in the street like a chump for no reason"

If he was given the memories of the MCU Quicksilver he would know it wasn't for no reason. He saved Hawkeye and a child. The way he described the situation reads to me how someone who is "above it all" would see the situation. Maybe not Mephisto specifically, but definitely not Quicksilver. Neither Pietro would describe saving a life like that.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Loki's dead in this timeline; the Loki in the upcoming show is literally from a different timeline.
He's not just from a different timeline; he's also in a different timeline, so yeah, in theory it can't be him.
The counter to that is that with the right coordinates Loki can travel to the main timeline. Not that I think it's Loki, but that doesn't disprove him.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
He crossed a line. He didn't break through the hex barrier though. He struggled against it like he was caught in a net. He was still enveloped by it after taking several steps past what otherwise appeared to be the boundary... until we saw its elastic nature when it wants to keep someone in.

I see what you mean, but I disagree. Watching the scene again, it's clear to me the barrier stays solidly in place. What you see as a membrane being stretched by him, I see as energy tendrils clinging to him. This is made clearer by looking at the barrier itself; once he crosses it, it closes back behind him as if he had never went through it. If it was an elastic membrane as you say, you'd expect to see a hole or some elongation or deformation where Vision went through it, or where the strands surrounding Vision meet the wall; but nope, it's a solid wall behind him. In fact, it's so solid that the pieces of him flying back disappear as soon as they touch it.

The counter to that is that with the right coordinates Loki can travel to the main timeline. Not that I think it's Loki, but that doesn't disprove him.

Unless I'm missing something, he would need the time travel tech that hasn't been invented in his timeline yet, and perhaps never will.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Okay after that episode I am 100% convinced that isn't the real Pietro.

"Last thing I remember is that I was shot in the street like a chump for no reason"

If he was given the memories of the MCU Quicksilver he would know it wasn't for no reason. He saved Hawkeye and a child. The way he described the situation reads to me how someone who is "above it all" would see the situation. Maybe not Mephisto specifically, but definitely not Quicksilver. Neither Pietro would describe saving a life like that.
Could be another more skilled quicksilver who's disgusted that he failed when it was within his capability to pull it off

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I haaaaated the sitcom element of this episode. Aside from that, it was a great episode, especially the eerie bits. They nailed the atmosphere in those. Interesting Wanda's solution to the Vision problem at the end.