• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
How can the world in which Captain America and Bucky exist have a character that's from WW2 in the present day?

If they want to say Magneoto's powers keeps him young, I can live with that. Just give me a reason like how they made up reasons for Buck and Cap being young in modern times. But they shouldn't just have a 40-60 year old play someone that's supposed to be 90+ and just hope that no one will notice. I'd rather not Marvel repeat that strange aspect of the recent Fox X-Men movies.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
My friends. There will be no Sentinels, no mutants, no Fantastic Four, etc.

You are reading way too far into it.

At best we are going to get Mephisto or Nightmare and hints at a multiverse to set up the second Doctor Strange movie.

As an added possibility we might get Vision back.

Do you really think common sense will work here when we just got one semi-cameo and that means that with absolute certainty in the next episode Wanda is gonna fight against the entire cast of the Fox Kids animated X-Men show and it'll be epic and awesome and then they'll show up in further MCU movies like Roger Rabbit?

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can the world in which Captain America and Bucky exist have a character that's from WW2 in the present day?

And Captain Marvel. And maybe Black Widow?

EDIT: But seriously, in thr comics he just gets a younger body. Could have Ian play him one last time & then recast. Also, you don't have to start with the whole origin of the X-Men.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

At best we are going to get Mephisto or Nightmare and hints at a multiverse to set up the second Doctor Strange movie.

THANK YOU.

Do you really think common sense will work here when we just got one semi-cameo and that means that with absolute certainty in the next episode Wanda is gonna fight against the entire cast of the Fox Kids animated X-Men show and it'll be epic and awesome and then they'll show up in further MCU movies like Roger Rabbit?

Also this.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

The funny thing is that I pointed out dozens of pages ago that the astronauts were blipped not a F4 reference.

Now people are trying to turn a single line into a F4 reference.

I love you all but STOP!

Pretty much this. But I love the energy.

I love the energy and the but I'm getting Twin Peeks the Return vibes.

It's not as complex as you think. It's very straightforward

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
NOT A SINGLE SOUL will care about how Magneto ages.

You want to know what grinds my gears? Banner in Endgame imitating Hulk in the "Avengers" timeline like a grade D actor. Even I could have put on a better show.

(that scene obviously was there for comedic effect, but it didn't work for me)

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Jan 26, 2021
Can we be certain that Nightmare will be one of the villains since his helmet was seen in the animated intro of the 2nd episode?

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

I'll also add that they're not going to make Magneto Wanda and Pietro's father.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck are you talking about?

Mcu Pietro was literally a great adaptation of the character.
They just had to waste him with that death.

If you mean his powers, he literally was getting used to them. Look how much Wanda progressed in following films.

Glad I'm not the only one who liked him

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

Don't you do that

Don't you kill my hope

2021 Hugh Jackman Logan in the new MCU Deadpool with that one guy who played Cyclops

It is happening

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Wise words to heed here. Otherwise everyone is going to be "disappointed" when all the shit they made up in their head doesn't come true.

Oct 25, 2017
If those three dimensions are "mad, at, Tony" then yes - vastly more three dimensional.
You get a clear motivation of what they do, why they do it and how they came to do it. They have people they care about and their own set of morals. Yes, whether or not they are linked to tony is unimportant, what matters is how they are well rounded as persons and how consistently they act according to their own agendas, that they have emotions that motivate and sway them.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Can't wait 'til Fassbender strolls in and calls Wanda and Pietro "my children" or something, or Wanda calls him "dad." We'll just have a 90-year-old Magneto who looks 43, no explanation needed.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You get a clear motivation of what they do, why they do it and how they came to do it. They have people they care about and their own set of morals. Yes, whether or not they are linked to tony is unimportant, what matters is how they are well rounded as persons and how consistently they act according to their own agendas.

I can kind of see it for Vulture - in part because of the relationship to Liz. Not so much for Mysterio. It's less that they have a connection to Tony & more that Tony is literally the reason they're bad guys.

I'd further argue that the reason it seems different is because Spider-Man movies have an emphasis on the secret identity. So these people build a relationship with Peter & affect his life at Peter. And Spider-Man movies show that.

But the villains themselves have no more real depth than Iron Man's villains. Who had the same motives, but you don't have heartfelt scenes of them talking to Tony.

DrStrange87

The Fallen
Feb 8, 2018
You get a clear motivation of what they do, why they do it and how they came to do it. They have people they care about and their own set of morals. Yes, whether or not they are linked to tony is unimportant, what matters is how they are well rounded as persons and how consistently they act according to their own agendas, that they have emotions that motivate and sway them.
Spider-Man is literally taking out Iron Man's trash with Vulture and Mysterio. It has some to little to do with him personally and I hate it so much.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
_what if the Luke moment is Luke Skywalker! The crossover we all want!
I joked about this too when I saw that quote.
I'll also add that they're not going to make Magneto Wanda and Pietro's father.
Well, of course not in the MCU's primary universe, they've already established who their parents are (though there's no stopping a retcon) but didn't they change that in the comics when they were minimizing mutants in favor of Inhumans?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I don't want Magneto to be Wanda's father. Yes it was that way in the comics. But that's not a reason they should hamfist a "secret father" storyline with a character who already has lots of other things going on.... also a character whose tragic deaths of her normal parents drives her entire origin and character.

I don't really want them to just make it happen for the sake of "comic accuracy". MCU has proven it does best when it's expanding/developing on the comics rather than using them as a 1:1 blueprint anyways.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If those three dimensions are "mad, at, Tony" then yes - vastly more three dimensional.

Vulture's motivation was literally "get my crew rich or die tryin", the impetus for this was Damage Control screwing over what he projected to be a big payday job. I'm not going to argue about depth here but it always bugs me how reductive people are about those movies because of how insanely mad they are that Stark's actions are a part of them.

This whole sidebar is off topic anyways.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

He is stuck in a movie everyone hates and had the worst death of the mcu.

But his potential and characterization were actually great. Terrible waste. Doesnt help that Aaron is a great actor and the classic stories of those twins would have been wonderful to see with Elisabeth.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Pietro had his powers for like a week. Look at how Wanda's abilities have progressed since then. He would have gotten faster. Infinity stones ain't nothing to fuck with.

in terms of Marvel speedsters who is the fastest? Yo-yo from AOS seems to move faster then x-men Quicksilver as objects seem to literally be frozen in time (where there seems to be some movement with objects for Peter). But unlike the others her powers are pretty much limited to a small area (they are pretty useless for running away when you always go back to the same spot).

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I enjoyed AoU more than Civil War.

It wasn't a great movie but it had more emotional resonance for me (at least when I watched it).

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Was doubtful before, am now absolutely sure Wanda isn't the (main/only) villain now that this ep has presented her as such. Esp. since Hayward is adamant she is and our hero Monica doesn't think so.

Not sure if Evan Peters being a recast Quicksilver isn't anything more than an Easter egg. I know multiverse shenanigans are on their way in DS2 and Spidey 3, but this is probably just a wink/nudge in that direction and not an actual opening of the Foxverse can of worms. Could be wrong of course!

Great show so far. Curious to see where it all goes.
Keep in mind we already know that the Foxverse is crossing into the MCU with Deadpool 3. I know back during the buyout everyone assumed if Deadpool crossed over they'd just 4th wall it in and call it a day, but we could very well be seeing the foundations for an actual link between the two universes. And if they're willing to cross into films they don't even own with Spider-Man, why not.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
WandaVision might get a sequel, but it wouldn't be called WandaVision again. The name is quite connected to the whole sitcom-conceit, which they cannot really repeat.

There is no significant reason for them to care about this. It could be a new title entirely with all MCU shows taking that path and being individual short stories instead of multiple seasons of the same show. That would be really cool. Or it could just be Wandavision season 2. They may decide making it easy for casual viewers to understand the chronology is more important than the title matching the whole sitcom thing, which would be pretty justified. The title is the name of the two characters anyway so it would still make perfect sense

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
where there seems to be some movement with objects for Peter
I rewatched his scenes.

Lets say that there are two speeds he moves at during these scenes.

Speed A which is what we see on screen in slow motion.

Speed B which is when you see him zap around even faster during these slow motion scenes.

I think he is just young and cocky and prefers to use Speed A because he thinks that is enough for most of his tasks.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched his scenes.

Lets say that there are two speeds he moves at during these scenes.

Speed A which is what we see on screen in slow motion.

Speed B which is when you see him zap around even faster during these slow motion scenes.

I think he is just young and cocky and prefers to use Speed A because he thinks that is enough for most of his tasks.

Yeah, Quicksilver in the Fox movies was kinda ridiculous because he had superspeed within slowed time, which obviously multiplies just how fast he could go. Didn't he evacuate the entire X-Men Mansion in the middle of an explosion despite arriving after it began? That explosion was way faster than the speed of sound, so for him to pull off what he did is kinda nuts.

Still, I do think they'd just retcon their own Quicksilver if the MCU brought him back. To make him on par with Carol and Wanda they'd just make him run faster than light and do crazy stuff with kinetic energy. They'd basically turn him into the Flash but instead of drawing on the Speed Force he'd draw on cosmic energies instead.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Quicksilver has always been one of my favourite Marvel characters and I loved his depiction in Age of Ultron, was upset when he died at the end
Helped by the fact Aaron Taylor Johnson looked so hot in the role

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
There is no significant reason for them to care about this. It could be a new title entirely with all MCU shows taking that path and being individual short stories instead of multiple seasons of the same show. That would be really cool. Or it could just be Wandavision season 2. They may decide making it easy for casual viewers to understand the chronology is more important than the title matching the whole sitcom thing, which would be pretty justified. The title is the name of the two characters anyway so it would still make perfect sense
Yeah the whole conceit is that it's a double meaning. In a sequel series it would just become a single meaning...
If Vision actually makes it out alive

They're definitely not going to fridge Wanda post-Doctor Strange 2 if Wandavision does anything approaching Mandalorian numbers.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Nobody will care if Magneto goes from WWII to present day as a young man, that's pretty easy. How he goes from WWII to present day in a world where nobody knows about mutants, so there's no terrible thing being done every 5 minutes to justify his views on humanity, that one might be harder.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Nobody will care if Magneto goes from WWII to present day as a young man, that's pretty easy. How he goes from WWII to present day in a world where nobody knows about mutants, so there's no terrible thing being done every 5 minutes to justify his views on humanity, that one might be harder.

They're setting up a bunch of "secret worlds that have been doing stuff all the time, actually" with Eternals and Blade already, so I'm hoping they don't turn it all into too much spaghetti.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
in terms of Marvel speedsters who is the fastest? Yo-yo from AOS seems to move faster then x-men Quicksilver as objects seem to literally be frozen in time (where there seems to be some movement with objects for Peter). But unlike the others her powers are pretty much limited to a small area (they are pretty useless for running away when you always go back to the same spot).
In the later part of the show, Yo-yo realised she had been limiting her powers because of childhood trauma and could actually use her speed without having to snap back to her starting position.

She still is limited to a small time frame of course but is still incredibly fast.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it's vital that mutants are hated and feared and it can't be justified. It needs to be an irrational fear that turns violent, something that would make the introduction of the Sentinel Programme seem "reasonable".

One thing the original Fox X-Men movies were actually pretty good at was showing why the average person was scared of mutants (anyone could be one or become one, the powers were often hard to control, the news often focused on bad things happening because of mutants) and how government organisations used that fear and manipulated it for their own ends.

You need that. You need Magneto to have a point, to know what happens when the people in power decide a minority group is too dangerous to be allowed freedom. He and Charles need to agree that something needs to be done to allow mutants to live in peace, but they need to differ on what exactly that entails.

Personally I think the use of Krakoa and Moira McTaggart is the way to go. Not only would Krakoa give mutants a very distinct visual identity in their movies, but you can totally use Moira's mutant power to explain how and why mutants have been hiding.

You just say she has lived her life many times, always trying to find the right path forward for mutants. Simply say she has seen humanity turn on mutants, Avengers turn in X-Men, even Magneto defeating Thanos and claiming the Infinity Gauntlet for himself and wiping out all non-mutant life on Earth, which doomed it.

Then you just say mutants have been living in peace on Krakoa for decades, staying hidden thanks to Xavier erasing any memories anyone ever has of mutants, even when a kid manifests new mutant powers. Despite objections from Xavier and Magneto about hiding, Moira was vindicated when Krakoa protected mutants from Thanos but something has happened that means they can no longer hide.

That'd be a pretty great way to get humanity to go "what the fuck?" because nothing would piss them off more than being told Xavier has been fucking with their memories for decades.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
So I just watched X-men Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix for the first time and please omg I take it back, I don't want any of that crap in the MCU ahahaha. Evan Peters, fine, perfect. His likability and his character arc can be summed up in that fun slow mo pentagon kitchen scene. All anyone needs to do is go on YouTube, watch that, and they're all caught up. I don't want anyone to think they need to subject themselves to any of the movies after Days Of Future Past to be "in the know" on fox xmen "coming over" lol

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Quicksilver in the Fox movies was kinda ridiculous because he had superspeed within slowed time, which obviously multiplies just how fast he could go. Didn't he evacuate the entire X-Men Mansion in the middle of an explosion despite arriving after it began? That explosion was way faster than the speed of sound, so for him to pull off what he did is kinda nuts.

Still, I do think they'd just retcon their own Quicksilver if the MCU brought him back. To make him on par with Carol and Wanda they'd just make him run faster than light and do crazy stuff with kinetic energy. They'd basically turn him into the Flash but instead of drawing on the Speed Force he'd draw on cosmic energies instead.

Mcu Quicksilver is faster than people think.

They just gave him a weakness, if he overuses his power he has to stop moving and catch his breath.

They added that to justify his death I assume.

But some of his feats are definitely impressive considering he barely just got his powers.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
Also something I haven't seen mentioned a lot on here regarding Agnes being sus is how she always breaks the "purity" of every sitcom. She talks about sex and "pleasing your husband" and alcohol in ways that didn't happen on any of these old shows and it feels like they want us to notice that. I know a lot of people think this is purposeful misdirection but it's subtle enough to where I did it notice it until I rewatched all the eps in one sitting. It's a very traditional secretly-the-devil-like quality to her that's making me bet on them going the Mephisto direction.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I recently watched the pitch meeting video for Age of Ultron and they bring up the point that quicksilver was fast enough to move people out of the way of a speeding bus but couldn't move people out of the way out of some bullets and instead blocked them as a human shield lol

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I ordered Wanda Statue last week,, Diamond Select for reference. Arrived today :D

6ECNFLk.jpg

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

I don't expect full-on reveals but I believe that the chance of watching some seeds being planted are relatively high.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Personally I think the use of Krakoa and Moira McTaggart is the way to go. Not only would Krakoa give mutants a very distinct visual identity in their movies, but you can totally use Moira's mutant power to explain how and why mutants have been hiding.

You just say she has lived her life many times, always trying to find the right path forward for mutants. Simply say she has seen humanity turn on mutants, Avengers turn in X-Men, even Magneto defeating Thanos and claiming the Infinity Gauntlet for himself and wiping out all non-mutant life on Earth, which doomed it.

Then you just say mutants have been living in peace on Krakoa for decades, staying hidden thanks to Xavier erasing any memories anyone ever has of mutants, even when a kid manifests new mutant powers. Despite objections from Xavier and Magneto about hiding, Moira was vindicated when Krakoa protected mutants from Thanos but something has happened that means they can no longer hide.

That'd be a pretty great way to get humanity to go "what the fuck?" because nothing would piss them off more than being told Xavier has been fucking with their memories for decades.

As much as I like Hickman's X-Men, I wonder how audience will react to an X-Men concept so wholly unfamiliar to what they've seen in the movies and TV shows up until now. But I've said before, I rather MCU X-Men lean more into the cosmic and sci-fi aspects compared to the persecution and prejudice against a group of mostly white people.

But man, imagine the reveal of the MCU X-Men trailer that opens with: "While you slept, the world changed."

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
This reminded me of The Truman Show.

Truman is catching on. He starts question the reality around him and begins planning his escape. The director panics and tries to think of a way to keep him inside the show. Boom, his "long lost father" is immediately reintroduced.
The-Truman-Show-3x7.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

b15b8dcb2020b2cd148e044958786221.jpeg
I mentioned this earlier, but I'm surprised the parallel hasn't really been brought up more. They even play with the same "long lost relative" sitcom/soap opera trope.

It definitely points to another force pulling the strings from behind the curtain since Wanda sends Vision to work once he starts questioning what is going on too much but when he confronts her and she has to come face to face with her part in everything and he seems like he might actually get through to her that she needs to stop whatever her part in this is (despite her not fully grasping and maybe just going along with it since it is the life she wants), that is when it seems like another force throws in a monkey wrench to pull her back into this reality.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the middle of reading House of X/Powers of X right now & that would be incredible if the movies could pull even something close to that off. I have 3 more issues left before I can give my opinion, but so far, in Hickman I trust.