• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Jan 26, 2021
JHSRH9W.png

the cushion = dead vision color

C'mon, man. You can't be serious. I'm guessing that you're joking.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I believe placing the stones back isn't to avoid creating an alternate reality. It is to ensure that the Avengers in that alternate reality has the stones available for them to use against any threats they may face.
True, time travel is just such a can of worms. They already said you can't change the past, but being able to return stones to the same reality contradicts that

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
True, time travel is just such a can of worms. They already said you can't change the past, but being able to return stones to the same reality contradicts that
they can't change their own past when they're time travelling they're going to an alternate timeline and they can fuck up that timeline as much as they want without affecting theirs
its why (besides ethical reasons ) they don't do what Rhodey says and go kill baby thanos because it won't change their past but that timeline now doesn't have thanos so lucky them
Theyre returning the stones because ancient one told them to because that universe might need them like the sorcerers need time stone to beat dormmmamu

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They don't really contradict that. The idea is that going into the past and changing something means you create a new timeline, a new future. In terms of the MCU, as an example, taking the Time Gem from the past means creating a timeline where Strange can't use it to stop Dormammu.

All Steve did by going back in time and returning the Infinity Gems was erase those alternate timelines.

Oct 31, 2017
This really captures it. For me, the appeal of the MCU (and Marvel Disney+ TV) is how they deftly fit the different cinematic experiences into the Marvel toybox. They magic the rules to play with expectations without sacrificing comfort. The fact that Winter Soldier can be an espionage thriller while Ant Man is adventure comedy while both existing in the same narrative at face value is a feat. How are they managing to manipulate so many genres? How are they successfuly catering to both longtime fans and the newfound mainstream? The part that impresses me is that they're doing it by sacrificing very little and redefining TV/Movie habits with long-term storytelling! It's pretty amazing. Is WandaVision Rosemary's Baby meets the Truman Show? Is it something else?

Dr. Strange might very much feel like The Conjuring to a point, but pulling too far in a direction almost feels like the easy way out. That the creators have found a way to play up on-the-nose sitcom history with elements of the occult and MCU lore sprinkled about, and dashes of procedural super science? Frankly I'm amazed at what they can't juggle!

EDIT - I wanted to add one more impressive thing that these shows manage to do: Train the new audience in how to read their shows. I'll never forget taking my wife to see the movie Source Code. Fun movie. The concept of time threw my wife off. She's not a dumb lady, but that kind of stuff goes over head. Post Marvel, she's watching Wanda Vision, and the concepts are even crazier but she understands them better now. More digestable. I'm like, WOW. This is a big jump from 'Ready to Love' on OWN :)

I think that's what keeps people like Feige and co creatively invested and motivated. That freedom gives them carte blanche to do whatever they want, with very few exceptions. If it was up to Perlmutter we would be up to Iron Man 12 right now and none of these creative minds would still be with the company.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All Steve did by going back in time and returning the Infinity Gems was erase those alternate timelines.
he did so those timelines weren't doomed by the lack of major artifacts in critical moments, like already said with dormammu and the time stone
but the interference of those people popping up and taking an infinitiy stone or mjolnir for an hour still can alter the course of events in a new timeline, just one that isn't going to ruin because the item was missing altogether
for example the timeline where they attempted the tesseract from initially is still majorly altered into a new branch by loki running away with it or a Cap telling the other about bucky

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
We've known and seen that Sparky dog house since around January 15. It's been in promos all over. One of the creators just recently talked about it recently as well:

Kevin Feige also teased it back on December 7:

"If you know that comic, you might meet Sparky the Dog at a certain point in the series."

Last edited:

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
gotta love how y'all omit how Sparky's story is among the darkest shit to ever grace Marvel Comics lol

BUT HE'S SO CUTE

edit miss me with that Mojo stuff. He's a bad villain. bad bad bad. I'd rather have heel turn Wanda.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Sparky is also made a dead dog the vision family accidentally killed (or was somehow responsible for my memory is shit and too lazy to look up)

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's not. That's actually a cool idea.

Thanks! It's just so very comic booky, and would work as an explanation for something like the MCU

It's implied in Infinity War and Endgame that other people besides Thanos and Clint have gone to Vormir and earned the right to wield the Soul Stone. Furthermore, the Russo Brothers have said that after Thanos earned the Soul Stone that Red Skull was freed from Vormir, which implies that someone is forced to guard the Soul Stone only when it's been returned to Vormir. Hence, we can conclude that Red Skull guarded the Soul Stone on Vormir from only the point at which it was returned to Vormir - which must have been when he was transported to Vormir by the Space Stone. Furthermore, we can conclude that the Space Stone would have transported some other random person who would have been nearby if Red Skull were not nearby.

Yeah, as I said in my post, Red Skull mentions to Thanos, and later Clint, that others have sought the Soul Stone. I can't remember specifically if he implies that some or none were successful, only that the price was required was great (I imagined that some were willing to trade a soul for a soul, but others were not). As I haven't followed any interviews with the Russo brothers, I wasn't aware that Red Skull was freed from Vormir. Which, honestly, opens up some more questions, such as, what happened to Red Skull then? Where did he go? Did he finally get granted death? Is living a simple life in Newark as a baker? Personally, I think it'd be cool if he was just forever "cursed" to be the keeper of the Soul Stone. I mean, he was an evil Nazi, so being forced to live alone on Vormir, his only purpose to watch over this stone for eternity, occasionally entertaining the random beings that come to attain it seems fair. I'd feel bad if some random person just suddenly got transported to take Skull's place.

Thinking about the Russo's explanation, looking at how "time travel" works in the MCU, Thanos took the Soul Stone in the "Prime Reality" (the reality we've been "anchored" to since Iron Man 1), where Red Skull was the keeper of the Soul Stone. Clint and Natasha travel to an "alternate reality" 2014's Vormir, where, Red Skull is also the keeper of the Soul Stone? Considering that everything else about the alternate timelines the Avengers Quantum travel to in Endgame are pretty much playing out the same way they did in our "Prime" Earth, I suppose it's possible that Red Skull became the keeper of the stone there too. The Ancient One tells Banner that removing the Stones would cause branches in her reality (unless the Stones were returned at the moment they were taken, which we know Steve does), so I imagine that when Steve returned the Soul Stone to Vormir, Red Skull would still be the keeper of that stone in 2014. So I'm really interested in seeing how that conversation played out. I'm not sure the Russo Brother's explanation that Red Skull was freed when Thanos obtained the Soul Stone checks out. I think Skull would have been freed after Thanos destroyed the Soul Stone in Endgame, as there is now no longer a Soul Stone to guard, so no need for a keeper in this reality. The ramifications of the Infinity Stones being destroyed in our "Prime Reality" is something that I think could be addressed in future stories, however.

So I was thinking, but what if Vision actually survives when he exits Westview (based on the preview for future episodes)?

Her powers have altered the real world, but perhaps she somehow brings back the Mind Stone which then sets off the events for Doctor Strange 2? Of course it's probably doubtful, but I was thinking about it earlier.

It certainly would've been interesting seeing the conversation between the two!

Yeah, I bet it was a really fascinating conversation, especially on Steve's end! The look on his face would have been worth shooting that scene lol

Before Infinity War Thanos was going around and manually killing half the population of planets with his armies so it's very likely Thanos was pretty well known and various races in the galaxy were able to put 2 and 2 together and figure out Thanos was able to carry out his plan on a universe wide scale.

I kinda wonder if during the snap Thanos killed half the population of planets he had already visited or he left those planets alone.

It's funny you say that, because I actually had a bit about that in my original post, but edited it out before I posted it! Thanos had indeed been going around murdering half of various planet's populations, so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that some of them would have put 2 and 2 together, and word would have spread. I also wonder if those planets where he killed half their population got halved again, or if the Infinity Stones were like, "Nah, these guys already got culled, you get a pass." XD XD

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I just want to chime in I've been loving this show since the first episode and hope it can keep that weird energy up

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

I've always liked to think of it less like the timelines have been actually erased and more like the difference has become so negligible as to be meaningless.

edit miss me with that Mojo stuff. He's a bad villain. bad bad bad. I'd rather have heel turn Wanda.

People talk about MCU bias and yet 90s X-Men nostalgia's so strong it's immortalized every jobber out of that era.

Like Mojo's quirky as fun but we haven't even gotten to mutants yet and it still boggles me that people actually care that much about Longshot.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Jan 26, 2021
got transported to take Skull's place.

Thinking about the Russo's explanation, looking at how "time travel" works in the MCU, Thanos took the Soul Stone in the "Prime Reality" (the reality we've been "anchored" to since Iron Man 1), where Red Skull was the keeper of the Soul Stone. Clint and Natasha travel to an "alternate reality" 2014's Vormir, where, Red Skull is also the keeper of the Soul Stone? Considering that everything else about the alternate timelines the Avengers Quantum travel to in Endgame are pretty much playing out the same way they did in our "Prime" Earth, I suppose it's possible that Red Skull became the keeper of the stone there too. The Ancient One tells Banner that removing the Stones would cause branches in her reality (unless the Stones were returned at the moment they were taken, which we know Steve does), so I imagine that when Steve returned the Soul Stone to Vormir, Red Skull would still be the keeper of that stone in 2014. So I'm really interested in seeing how that conversation played out. I'm not sure the Russo Brother's explanation that Red Skull was freed when Thanos obtained the Soul Stone checks out. I think Skull would have been freed after Thanos destroyed the Soul Stone in Endgame, as there is now no longer a Soul Stone to guard, so no need for a keeper in this reality. The ramifications of the Infinity Stones being destroyed in our "Prime Reality" is something that I think could be addressed in future stories, however.

The Russo Brothers' words have authority since they're the filmmakers.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017