• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's a QR code in a shot. I tried scanning it and this is the best I got

Screenshot-20210130-093758.png

Scott Lang is about to be Wanda's new next door neighbor.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the length is fine, but I wish the episodes came out more frequently. It feels like I'm taking a small bite of a meal once a week. Like I wait all week for WandaVision and it's over in a snap.

Two episodes a week, (Wednesday and Friday) would space it better, imo.

Now this, I fully get. While I dont understand wanting things to be longer because reasons, I can fully empathize with people wanting the content faster.

Problem with 2 a week I think is that Marvel seems intent on releasing something (be it an episode or a movie) ever week now.....forever.

There's an old Roger Ebert quote: no good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough. When you're enjoying something, you tend to want more of it.

That's true. I guess I'm just saying that potentially filling out WV with "more" could actually be detrimental.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Now this, I fully get. While I dont understand wanting things to be longer because reasons, I can fully empathize with people wanting the content faster.

Problem with 2 a week I think is that Marvel seems intent on releasing something (be it an episode or a movie) ever week now.....forever.

That's true. I guess I'm just saying that potentially filling out WV with "more" could actually be detrimental.

Right, I understand that. And that's a good point. I was just trying to explain why people wanted the episodes to be longer. the other point to make is that this is serialized, where the season tells a full arc. An episode being longer wouldn't be bad, so long as the season as a whole is the same length. For instance, WV is 6 hours long. You could make 12 30 minute, 9 45, and 6 hour long episodes. The reason why people want the episodes to be longer is because....I guess because we're only getting, as the other person said, a bite every week. A longer episode might make people feel more satistified. There's also something to be said about how the fact that people want more means they're doing a good job of hooking them in.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Right, I understand that. And that's a good point. I was just trying to explain why people wanted the episodes to be longer. the other point to make is that this is serialized, where the season tells a full arc. An episode being longer wouldn't be bad, so long as the season as a whole is the same length. For instance, WV is 6 hours long. You could make 12 30 minute, 9 45, and 6 hour long episodes. The reason why people want the episodes to be longer is because....I guess because we're only getting, as the other person said, a bite every week. A longer episode might make people feel more satistified. There's also something to be said about how the fact that people want more means they're doing a good job of hooking them in.

Absolutely, and I guess for me the reason why the episodes have worked so well thus far is that they haven't overstayed their welcome and leave me wanting more. Contrast that to something like Jessica Jones, where I was begging for a mercy kill 30 minutes into an episode and dreading knowing I still had like 8 more slogfest hours to go.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely, and I guess for me the reason why the episodes have worked so well thus far is that they haven't overstayed their welcome and leave me wanting more. Contrast that to something like Jessica Jones, where I was begging for a mercy kill 30 minutes into an episode and dreading knowing I still had like 8 more slogfest hours to go.

Right, but I guess what I meant is as long as the story they want to tell is as long as it needs to be, I'm not sure if 6 hour long episodes is worse than 12 30 minute episodes, you know?

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
So my theory going forward is that they are going to use the hexagon to represent cosmic energy at a glance. Wanda indeed only received her power from a single manifestation, however it still goes back to the power which created the Big Bang. The stones are just manifestations and aren't just individual objects as they all trace their power to the same source. The hexagon is a great way to illustrate: this is cosmic energy in origin.

infinity-stones-hexagon.png

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Right, but I guess what I meant is as long as the story they want to tell is as long as it needs to be, I'm not sure if 6 hour long episodes is worse than 12 30 minute episodes, you know?

Ahhh yes. Well I guess I'd both agree and disagree......agree in the sense that if there's 6 hours of content regardless of how you chop it up, then sure, by all means have less, but longer episodes. On the flip side, there is also pacing an natural story breaks to consider too, which seems to be the way this show was designed, such that the natural length of an episode is around the 30 minute mark.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So my theory going forward is that they are going to use the hexagon to represent cosmic energy at a glance. Wanda indeed only received her power from a single manifestation, however it still goes back to the power which created the Big Bang. The stones are just manifestations and aren't just individual objects as they all trace their power to the same source. The hexagon is a great way to illustrate: this is cosmic energy in origin.

I buy this. They use that "hex" shape all the time when they're showing off the stones - not sure why I didn't make the connection!

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Ahhh yes. Well I guess I'd both agree and disagree......agree in the sense that if there's 6 hours of content regardless of how you chop it up, then sure, by all means have less, but longer episodes. On the flip side, there is also pacing an natural story breaks to consider too, which seems to be the way this show was designed, such that the natural length of an episode is around the 30 minute mark.

right, for this show, especially the first 3, it wouldn't work, but I think they could've made episode 4 longer, and it wouldn't've suffered from it.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Well if there's only 12 episodes total for the whole series and they're not doing a season 2 or anything I can understand the pace, and it's not bad, but I also would have been happy with episode 3 coming at the end of an entire season of creeping weirdness and deepening mystery, and then this episode 4 being the perfect way to start season 2 after the break.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Previous weeks : I don't like this episode, I want answers

this week: I don't like this episode it's giving us answers we already know

sigh

I loved it.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well if there's only 12 episodes total for the whole series and they're not doing a season 2 or anything I can understand the pace, and it's not bad, but I also would have been happy with episode 3 coming at the end of an entire season of creeping weirdness and deepening mystery, and then this episode 4 being the perfect way to start season 2 after the break.

9 episodes

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Before the Scarlet Witch was trained to be an actual witch, her mutant powers were traditionally called "hex bolts" or some variant thereof in the comics.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Ive heard 9 episodes...and that first 6 are shorter as per Paul Bettany. So I see.. 80s episode, 90s episode and then modern family for first 1/2 of 7th, and then things break wide open.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Even with the zombie Vision I think, upon repeated viewings, that the censored version of the sitcom from Wanda confronting "Geraldine" to it hard cutting to the credits is the most unsettling thing in the episode.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
As soon as the episode was over I asked my wife what she thought and she said "It was nice to have some explanations about what's going on". Goes to show that not everyone is obsessively talking about the show online and knows everything that's going to happen.

Let that be a lesson to any nudniks who said this was "spinning wheels"
Man, I wrote off the first two episodes entirely and was about to stop watching.

Then I was reminded that Vision died in Endgame and that this is setting up major stuff. I watched no previews or anything about the show so just thought they just wanted a Wanda and Vision show.

Yea lovin it so far now lol.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I do think they're trying to reframe the place the Infinity Gems had in the universe. By coining the term "cosmic microwave background radiation" and saying it's energy from the Big Bang, they're basically saying that the Infinity Gems all used cosmic energy - and that may indeed be how they expand on just what exactly the likes of Wanda and Carol are capable of doing, by saying that the Infinity Gems didn't imprint specific powers on them but actually allows them to tap into the cosmic energies of the universe. It also means, later on, they can bring in the Fantastic Four and point out they were mutated by those same cosmic energies, which Galactus in turn has complete mastery of.

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand how the sitcom is working if Wanda is controling everything. Why do we have scenes where Wanda isn't present like Vision at his job. How can Wanda control it and at the same time not know what was talked about.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I still don't understand how the sitcom is working if Wanda is controling everything. Why do we have scenes where Wanda isn't present like Vision at his job. How can Wanda control it and at the same time not know what was talked about.
She's the star of the show but clearly someone else is directing it. She has some control over what is seen but she's not the only one.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As soon as the episode was over I asked my wife what she thought and she said "It was nice to have some explanations about what's going on". Goes to show that not everyone is obsessively talking about the show online and knows everything that's going to happen.

Let that be a lesson to any nudniks who said this was "spinning wheels"

This kind of mindset is what leads writers to pull the subvertion of expectations bs. I don't understand the people that spend their time discussing the series online, come up with the right theories and answers for everything and then get mad they were right and it was easy to figure out. A friend of mine that doesn't go around forums thought the same thing as your wife. He loved the ep and explanations.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain SWORD vs. Shield in the MCU to me?

Is Sword a subdivision of Shield? Is it a completely separate entity? Is it kinda like CIA vs FBI?
Does Fury know about Sword?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My kids have enjoyed WandaVision (my 12yo daughter is obsessed) but my wife has not enjoyed it until this episode. She said she thought the sitcom stuff is corny and is glad to have "regular" MCU stuff to watch.

She's never seen Thor 1 or 2, so this is her first experience with Darcy. She instantly didn't like her lol, said she sounds like an old granny in a young person's body.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
The episodes have been perfect lengths for me. As someone had mentioned, the Netflix shows would have benefited greatly from tighter editing, but it overstayed it's welcome. WandaVision is doing what it should - making me want more (in a good way!)

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Before I throw my overall thoughts down just wanted to jump in on this:

I do think they're trying to reframe the place the Infinity Gems had in the universe. By coining the term "cosmic microwave background radiation" and saying it's energy from the Big Bang, they're basically saying that the Infinity Gems all used cosmic energy - and that may indeed be how they expand on just what exactly the likes of Wanda and Carol are capable of doing, by saying that the Infinity Gems didn't imprint specific powers on them but actually allows them to tap into the cosmic energies of the universe. It also means, later on, they can bring in the Fantastic Four and point out they were mutated by those same cosmic energies, which Galactus in turn has complete mastery of.

CMBR is a real thing:

If anything the SWORD director blunt-force expositing it as "the relic radiation of the Big Bang" is the show and MCU making damn sure the general audience is aware of this connection.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
If Wanda is strong enough to destroy the Mind Stone (let alone take Thanos 1v1 and have a measure or total control over Westview), is she powerful enough to bring it back? Or at least resurrect Vision for realsies?

Vision seems at least somewhat autonomous; he's questioning things, and we see him interact with the other residents when Wanda isn't around to "direct" them, I guess.

Excited to see where they're going with this.

My fiancé and I are really enjoying it. She said as cool as it is, it's freaking tragic to see Wanda clearly suffering a mental break.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
No one seems to be mentioning the brilliant filmmaking in the scene where wanda and vision go to watch tv on the couch and you can sense the dread in Paul Bettany's face, but he just wants so badly for Wanda to be happy 😫 and then the awesome use of black sabbath

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think the CMBR thing is to imply that West View is being created in a similar way (it's own universe).

But that's not how the CMBR works anyway, right? It's not a special type of radiation, it's just high energy gamma rays from the Big Bang that have redshifted over billions of years into microwaves (I think?)

No one seems to be mentioning the brilliant filmmaking in the scene where wanda and vision go to watch tv on the couch and you can sense the dread in Paul Bettany's face, but he just wants so badly for Wanda to be happy 😫 and then the awesome use of black sabbath
Paul Bettany should win an Emmy for that face he makes.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Is Sword a subdivision of Shield? Is it a completely separate entity? Is it kinda like CIA vs FBI?
Independent agencies from what we've seen, however, Fury might have something to do with S.W.O.R.D. creation (After the events of Captain Marvel) and presumably he's now in space (As seen in Far from Home) thanks to S.W.O.R.D. tech / Alliance with the refugee Skrulls.

It seems this separation helped to stop H.Y.D.R.A. from infiltrating it just like they did with S.H.I.E.L.D.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
No one seems to be mentioning the brilliant filmmaking in the scene where wanda and vision go to watch tv on the couch and you can sense the dread in Paul Bettany's face, but he just wants so badly for Wanda to be happy 😫 and then the awesome use of Black Sabbath

I think it was Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Child, actually.

And yes, Bettany is selling the hell out of the "off"ness of the whole thing. It's unsettling in the best way.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Black Sabbath? Don't disrespect Jimi Hendrix like that.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CMBR is real and how we can "see" the Big Bang.

I kind of appreciate MCU going back to using real science terms even if they're playing fast and loose with them. Everything was just "magic" for most of phase 3, but before that they at least made an effort to ground the fantastical stuff within the confines of science.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
And where'd the word "hex" come from?

I guess from the verb "to hex", which comes from old English hag which also resulted in the German "hexe" (Witch)

Greek: six

German: relates to witchcraft (according to google) - hexe, hexen

Perhaps also stems from Hekate(?) the goddess of witchcraft/magic (greek myth) (or Hekate stems from germanic idk)

Hex/to hex, meaning witchcraft is a loan from German Hexe. The etymology of hex/hexe/heks/häks is unknown, but possibly related to the word "hag" and possibly derived from a (reconstructed) proto-Germanic word hagaz meaning "skilled".

Hecate/Hekate is referred to in Hesiod's Theogony from 8th century BCE. Way too early for be a loan from Germanic languages, but it bears no resemblance anyway.

Hex meaning hexagonal is a shortening (from 1930 according to online dictionaries), and is ultimately from Greek. Hex "witchcraft" and hex "six" are unrelated.

Yeah. The use of "cosmic microwave background radiation" now feels a lot like it's meant to evoke Power Cosmic to me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It could be:

1) Wanda's giving "Vision" freedom subconsciously, to stop herself.
2) Vision has some grade of autonomy, similarly to the neighbors, Wanda is acting more or less s a battery; just enough for Vision to act as a sitcom dad.
3) There is another source for all of this, Wanda simply warped all around this actor to serve her "ideal life". So "zombie Vision" was 'functioning' before Wanda intervened, but give him another purpose.

Or it could be Wanda playing along for her entertainment 🤔

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

I kind of appreciate MCU going back to using real science terms even if they're playing fast and loose with them. Everything was just "magic" for most of phase 3, but before that they at least made an effort to ground the fantastical stuff within the confines of science.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that most of Phase 3 was just magic. It's mostly just advanced science and tech that isn't explained. With exception to Doctor Strange of course.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Whether it's real or not isn't really the point. It's the way they're framing it as a source of energy that the Infinity Gems, and by extension the people who got their powers from them, tap into. That's kind of a big deal because this is the "cosmic era" of the MCU and we're now seeing that being materialised.

Marvel comics go into cosmic power a lot. The Fantastic Four were hit by cosmic radiation when they got their powers, Celestials use cosmic power, Galactus has absolute power over cosmic energies and can bestow it upon his heralds, you get the point.

Of course "cosmic" can refer to anything from space, but if Marvel is specifically framing cosmic energy in a very particular way then it's almost as if the universe itself is a source of energy for beings to draw upon and that's how they'll explain the mechanics behind a lot of superpowers and concepts going forward.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX

Yeah SWORD and SHIELD are separate. I'd imagine Fury knows about SWORD as it's not really a secret.