• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I found the dialogue not great either, but maybe the cast will settle into things more as time goes on.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a lot of speculation being drawn from "House of M", Tom King's Vision series, and even "Avengers Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill," but I'm wondering if, stepping outside of Marvel comics as influences, there might also be a bit of "For the Man Who Has Everything" in the mix of influences here.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I simply found the acting and writing flat in a way that was jarring compared the previous episodes 🤷‍♂️

I'm not here trying to shit post, I'd very much prefer to enjoy it
I do feel some of the dialogue and delivery feel off at first, but only at the beginning and it didn't distract me the further the episode goes. either I got used to it, or it's just the early scene that is off.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a lot of speculation being drawn from "House of M", Tom King's Vision series, and even "Avengers Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill," but I'm wondering if, stepping outside of Marvel comics as influences, there might also be a bit of "For the Man Who Has Everything" in the mix of influences here.

It's not really speculation.

The stories that filter in all have their creators mentioned as Special Thanks:

credits.jpg

There's notable folks left out, like Monica's creators, but they might've been added into later episodes?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The fact that SWORD has apparently existed for a while but no one has ever mentioned it seems really odd.
With the exception of the Chitari every major threat has been of terrestrial origin. SWORDs purview is implied to be Space and Alien threat related.

Their isn't a reason for them to become involved yet.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I found the dialogue not great either, but maybe the cast will settle into things more as time goes on.
I'm not expecting it to get better tbh. All the outside cast(minus Maria) seems to be saddled with the overtly explicit exposition/lore dialogue. They'll be charming and give MCU Easter eggs for the audience that need that connective tissue. I'm finding all the performances inside Westview very compelling so I don't mind.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
im betting the next two eps are gonna be back to sitcom, we'll get one more episode from the perspective of the agents, and then we'll get basically an MCU movie at the end

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Upon a rewatch, the weird edits/censoring appear in the broadcast whenever something breaks the sitcom, but that did not apply to the toy helicopter and its existence in colour. SWORD saw that. Not sure why the difference. Because it's an object all alone and not a person acting suspicious, perhaps.

Nov 15, 2020
The timeline is interesting. The way it's cut it seems like Rambeau goes from the hospital back to her job pretty quickly, evidenced by those news monitors at SWORD showing families reuniting from the blip as the top headline. If the final battle of Endgame happens at the instant Monica comes back from dust, then the Westview incident has to happen very soon after Tony Stark's funeral, where we last see Wanda with Hawkeye. Not a ton of time to file a missing person report with the FBI and flag it all the way up to SWORD, not a ton of time between Monica blipping (is it a verb now?) and getting that assignment from SWORD. I think it's possible whatever happened to Wanda happened AT Tony's funeral.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
With the exception of the Chitari every major threat has been of terrestrial origin. SWORDs purview is implied to be Space and Alien threat related.

Their isn't a reason for them to become involved yet.

?????

So Thanos wasnt a space or alien threat?

@OT - Just saw the ep , man it was awesome lol - loved it, super hyped - cant wait for next week's ep. The zombie vision at the end was a surprise.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched, then went back and watched about half of Age of Ultron, skipping about 50%. Better than I remembered. But what it really drove home is just how crazy it is what Marvel pulled off. What they continue to pull off. There is some wild shit in the MCU. And somehow it's kept its mainstream appeal.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The timeline is interesting. The way it's cut it seems like Rambeau goes from the hospital back to her job pretty quickly, evidenced by those news monitors at SWORD showing families reuniting from the blip as the top headline. If the final battle of Endgame happens at the instant Monica comes back from dust, then the Westview incident has to happen very soon after Tony Stark's funeral, where we last see Wanda with Hawkeye. Not a ton of time to file a missing person report with the FBI and flag it all the way up to SWORD, not a ton of time between Monica blipping (is it a verb now?) and getting that assignment from SWORD. I think it's possible whatever happened to Wanda happened AT Tony's funeral.
The SWORD acting director says three weeks have passed since the blip when Monica returns to work.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I think I recall Heyward mentioning that Monica was the first and only previously snapped person to report back to work at SWORD in the three weeks since the blip, so whatever happened definitely went down in that time frame.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
?????

@OT - Just saw the ep , man it was awesome lol - loved it, super hyped - cant wait for next week's ep. The zombie vision at the end was a surprise.

Yeah, I am a bit interested to see how they explain SWORD's lack of involvement in Thanos...and pretty much every other alien threat that we have seen over several movies now.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yeah, I am a bit interested to see how they explain SWORD's lack of involvement in Thanos...and pretty much every other alien threat that we have seen over several movies now.

I think SWORD might end up being the replacement to SHIELD after what happened to SHIELD in Captain America Civil War since wasnt the Avengers initiative a SHIELD project by Fury incase if some alien threat occurs?

Nov 27, 2020
So, my thought on that is that SWORD spun out of SHIELD post-Avengers (battle of New York). After that, there are three alien encounters on Earth that we know of. The goop from GOTG2, the Battle in Wakanda, and the Endgame battle. All three of them happened pretty quickly, so SWORD's involvement could have been in the clean up afterwards. Seems like a pretty easy retcon.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Thanos happened in one day and then disappeared, same with Chitari

That would be a huge plot hole regardless considering Avengers 1 and Infinity War/Endgame took place far apart.

I still think SWORD is a new organization built to replace SHIELD due to SHIELD being compromised in Civil War, probably as a alternative incase something happens to the Avengers (which was what happened between Infinity War and Endgame).

Who knows, I love this theory, might be wrong but this is why I love the MCU/Marvel - so many possibilities lol

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Monica surmises that the missing person is in WitSec and Jimmy doesn't deny it. He also mentions that when he questioned people that knew the missing person, none of them remembered who the person was at all. So it doesn't seem that someone reported a missing person but rather that Jimmy (or someone else in the FBI) was checking in on them and couldn't make contact, then started investigating. At the point Jimmy runs into the Westfield phenomena, he likely contacted SWORD himself. So the overall turn around time wouldn't have to be very long for that. Could be as short as a few days.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Also in regards to what was revealed - I though Endgame took place at least 5 years after the events of Infinity War but the way they described it in this episode, its been 3 years or did I misheard that?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Also in regards to what was revealed - I though Endgame took place at least 5 years after the events of Infinity War but the way they described it in this episode, its been 3 years or did I misheard that?
The way it was said, it sounded like Monica disappears > Maria survives her cancer treatment, lives on for 2 more years, then dies > 3 years after The Unsnap happens

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
?????

Sorry I meant to include this:

Thanos didn't show up to Earth until Infinity War. A day later half the population died, he was gone and that's when SWORD shifted its focus to proactive measures.

Which worked SO well for SHIELD.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that SWORD has apparently existed for a while but no one has ever mentioned it seems really odd.

SWORD likely would have been formed after SHIELD was dissolved due to Hydra infiltration in 2014. The MCU is in 2023 now, so SWORD is probably nine years old at this point, and most likely only grew to a size where it could be a major player in the five year gap between Infinity War and Endgame.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I dont think the episodes moving forward will be only sitcom or sword, they already combined everything, and anything weird in the sitcom we will already know is swords attempt to reach wanda. I see it as a back and forth between both and more of an open war between wanda wanting to stay inside and sword wanting to get in and free the people

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
If they don't have quick reaction contingency plans then what is the point of them? lol
I think the old SWORD before Chitauri and Thanos invasion maybe focus more on Observation and didn't have the manpower for the Response part, which is probably one reason why after Infinity War, in that 5 year gap, they switch focus to creating Sentient Weapon. they need some firepower for responding to alien threat themselves, rather than report to earth government about impending thread and react later.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
SWORD likely would have been formed after SHIELD was dissolved due to Hydra infiltration in 2014. The MCU is in 2023 now, so SWORD is probably nine years old at this point, and most likely only grew to a size where it could be a major player in the five year gap between Infinity War and Endgame.
Except they say that Monica "grew up here"

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the old SWORD before Chitauri and Thanos invasion maybe focus more on Observation and didn't have the manpower for the Response part, which is probably one reason why after Infinity War, in that 5 year gap, they switch focus to creating Sentient Weapon. they need some firepower for responding to alien threat themselves, rather than report to earth government about impending thread and react later.
Idk. Seems uncharacteristically messy for the MCU. Carol almost certainly would have been involved in some capacity. She never passed along that maybe there were mf's out there they needed to be ready from? Thanos clearly knew who she was when she burned through Earth's atmosphere.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
nah, SWORD likely formed not too long after Captain Marvel movie. that incident prompt Maria Rambeau and probably together with Fury to form SWORD, although I imagine back then, it's not really a huge priority and earth technology probably prohibit them to have huge operation in space.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The way it was said, it sounded like Monica disappears > Maria survives her cancer treatment, lives on for 2 more years, then dies > 3 years after The Unsnap happens

Her mom died 2 years after the snap from cancer.

Ooh thanks!

Sorry I meant to include this:

Thanos didn't show up to Earth until Infinity War. A day later half the population died, he was gone and that's when SWORD shifted its focus to proactive measures.

Which worked SO well for SHIELD.

I hope they reveal the origins of SWORD eventually if not in WandaVision but in another MCU media whether a movie (Captain Marvel 2) or a TV Show (Falcon).

Either ways super hyped lol

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
At an organization building tech that might not have been SWORD. Similar to organizations that existed prior to the FBI, or the OSS prior to the CIA. As explained during the episode, as some point they focused on space flights, which is not entirely secret agent shit.

Which is to say, what's likely is this organization existed in some form, only getting an upgrade years after SHIELD's downfall.

EDIT: Also, I'll toss this speculation out there. The Fantastic Four were members of that space flight-heavy pre-SWORD organization.

Nov 15, 2020
The SWORD acting director says three weeks have passed since the blip when Monica returns to work.
Ahh, that's the missing piece. Still is a pretty short timeline, and Tony's funeral (which Wanda attends) cuts into those three weeks, even if they held the memorial the very next day after the Thanos battle. It's the MCU and a lot can happen very fast, just trying to take what we know and pinpoint who would have been where.

Monica surmises that the missing person is in WitSec and Jimmy doesn't deny it. He also mentions that when he questioned people that knew the missing person, none of them remembered who the person was at all. So it doesn't seem that someone reported a missing person but rather that Jimmy (or someone else in the FBI) was checking in on them and couldn't make contact, then started investigating. At the point Jimmy runs into the Westfield phenomena, he likely contacted SWORD himself. So the overall turn around time wouldn't have to be very long for that. Could be as short as a few days.
True about getting the attention of SWORD quickly if it's the FBI checking in on a witness and encountering an anomaly, even during a blipped world. Maybe Wandavision started as a 1940s radio broadcast in its first few moments before the FBI got involved :P

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The weirdness for me is that SWORD is sort of positioned as a "space thing" that got repurposed as a "SHIELD 2.0" thing - which, in the larger view, does makes sense. Like I can imagine a nascent Space Force/SETI group that gets a big influx in cash after A) there was an actual alien invasion and B) the other multinational "weird shit" organization collapsed, both within the span of two years.

What doesn't make sense is that said "watch the skies" organization is named Sentient Weapon Observation and Response Division. SHIELD was handling super-people, from their foundation up until the organization collapsed. If SWORD wasn't Observing and Responding to, say, Thor and the Asgardians crash-landing in New Mexico, followed by a literal Sentient Weapon like the Destroyer Armor blowing up a town, that's a pretty big misnomer, y'know?

Guess they could have gotten a "re-acronym" after their scope was expanded.

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like the Maria's protocol for returned agents given her experience with Carol. Nice touch for her to have a plan for when she knew her daughter was coming back.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
At an organization building tech that might not have been SWORD. Similar to organizations that existed prior to the FBI, or the OSS prior to the CIA. As explained during the episode, as some point they focused on space flights, which is not entirely secret agent shit.

Which is to say, what's likely is this organization existed in some form, only getting an upgrade years after SHIELD's downfall.

EDIT: Also, I'll toss this speculation out there. The Fantastic Four were members of that space flight-heavy pre-SWORD organization.
To add to that point, the Strategic Scientific Reserve is the organization that was the precursor to SHIELD in the MCU.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
The weirdness for me is that SWORD is sort of positioned as a "space thing" that got repurposed as a "SHIELD 2.0" thing - which, in the larger view, does makes sense. Like I can imagine a nascent Space Force/SETI group that gets a big influx in cash after A) there was an actual alien invasion and B) the other multinational "weird shit" organization collapsed, both within the span of two years.

What doesn't make sense is that said "watch the skies" organization is named Sentient Weapon Observation and Response Division. SHIELD was handling super-people, from their foundation up until the organization collapsed. If SWORD wasn't Observing and Responding to, say, Thor and the Asgardians crash-landing in New Mexico, followed by a literal Sentient Weapon like the Destroyer Armor blowing up a town, that's a pretty big misnomer, y'know?

Guess they could have gotten a "re-acronym" after their scope was expanded.

Yeah, that's why I brought up the OSS to CIA explanation.

Like, in our heads, you name, you spin it up, and it does what it does from the word go. But in reality, you start with the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), then have the US government acknowledge they need to coordinate national intelligence efforts, and then it's rolled into the National Intellgence Authority and like two other groups, which then gets moved into and becomes the CIA. It's actually even messier than that, but you get the idea.

To add to that point, the Strategic Scientific Reserve is the organization that was the precursor to SHIELD in the MCU.

Exactly. Like, there was a precursor to whatever SWORD is now, but we don't get that because it's not really important to the story being told. The gist is Monica did important shit and now she's back at it, with almost no time to decompress.