• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I really liked Woo and Darcy. Woo is just such a wholesome, good guy.

I'm kinda miffed they gave the game away so soon, but it's clear that a sizeable percentage of the audience wasn't down for prolonged ambiguity.

My biggest question now is: who's in witness protection?

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
The general way the characters were introduced, especially darcy felt very much like Jurassic park and a lot of the bustling governmental action shots reminded me of that 80s Spielberg scene composition

Did anyone else get a major Spielberg vibe from how this episode was filmed and laid out?
Yes I did, in fact.

Monica in particular seemed to be framed as a Spielberg protagonist. Especially the facial shots, and panning / zooming with her.

a93288f6447d42b86a002846e988f759.jpg

There have been a number of Spielberg Face (tm) shots for Monica.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get complaints about the 'mystery' being revealed too soon. This episode confirmed some things around the edges while leaving most of the "Whys" still in the dark. It suggested as many questions as it filled in.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
No. Almost the same but:
Sentient World Observation and Response Department

It is the agency built to handle extraterrestrial threads to Earth, a sister agency from SHIELD (that handles terrestrial threads).

So its purpose is different too. I thought SWORD is what Fury was establishing in the end of Far from Home.
That probably is Alpha Flight which has basically become what SWORD was in the 616.

marvel.fandom.com

Alpha Flight (Space Program) (Earth-616)

Alpha Flight is a multinational and interplanetary security and diplomacy agency enabled and governed by powerful Earth nations and extrasolar polities. It was launched with the goal of proactively defending Earth and cooperating with alien societies that have shared security interests. Alpha...

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
This show even made Darcy likable. That's a Herculean feat.
Seriously.

(Thought this was a neat little note. For those who don't know, Tom King wrote a Vision comic that was a partial inspiration for this show.)

It's a good read too!

Jimmy Woo: "Why hexagon shape?"

My man asking the real question, lol. Got a laugh out of me. They fucking knew people would hone in on that.
Well, yeah, but the shape of the distortion itself appears to be a hexagon, as seen on one SWORD screen.

I'm still bummed they killed of quicksilver, it was nice having someone with a straightforward and not op power
Super speed is broken as fuck though. I was actually glad he died because of how it just seems bullshit on a level that doesn't mesh well even with other OP abilities.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Yes I did, in fact.

Monica in particular seemed to be framed as a Spielberg protagonist. Especially the facial shots, and panning / zooming with her.

a93288f6447d42b86a002846e988f759.jpg

There have been a number of Spielberg Face (tm) shots for Monica.
My wife made the point that since this episode takes place in the larger MCU, that the meta references moved from television to film homages and that the chronology stays the same. So in episode 4 we're in the 80s as a point of reference for homages coming from the 50s, 60s, and 70s in previous episodes.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So I think this episode finally fixed a major MCU plothole. In season 1 of Agents of SHIELD, the team heads to a previously unknown SHIELD base to find out the truth about Coulson, where they find a dead Kree. At the time, fan speculation was that it was a SWORD base, not SHIELD.

Since we have conformation now that SWORD has been around for years and are space focused, did this hole finally get closed?

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I thought SWORD was just being formed but it appears that it was already an established thing.

Maybe Fury was building the space station that will serve as the new SWORD HQ. But for sure the organization was long founded.

Another thing that bugged me is that Monica commented at the name as she didn't know it before (in the part he walks in after the unsnap, about the Observation part of the name) despite growing up within it. Does the organization changed name?

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
So I think this episode finally fixed a major MCU plothole. In season 1 of Agents of SHIELD, the team heads to a previously unknown SHIELD base to find out the truth about Coulson, where they find a dead Kree. At the time, fan speculation was that it was a SWORD base, not SHIELD.

Since we have conformation now that SWORD has been around for years and are space focused, did this hole finally get closed?
I don't the anyone at marvel considers agents of shield to really be part of continuity especially given the last two seasons, and we shouldn't either.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
My favorite episode yet.

Also, I fucking loved that opening scene. Give me more stuff dealing with the snap, the fallout and everyone blipping back. I would consume an entire "Leftovers" style series that just explores the impact of that moment among everyday normal people.

I also feel torn about Wanda. I love the character and I root for her- I was grinning ear to ear when she was bodying Thanos in Endgame. I want her to be a hero.

...but this is also a very fucking compelling story arc for turning a hero into a heel. She's actually scary too.

tenor.gif

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I really fucking love this show. I'm a little sad all the ambiguity seems gone, but I'm not convinced it actually will be. I still have questions, like how is Vision able to "act" if he's dead? The trailer hints at them answering that. I also never felt in ep 1 and 2 like Wanda was fully aware of what was going on, so I wonder how they explore that. We'll clearly get more sitcom-esque episodes, so that's great too.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain Monica's comment about not having "Creation" in the name SWORD since to my understanding its been called SWORD since its conception and has a sword as a logo so idk where the "C" would come in.

SCWORD?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as the episode was over I asked my wife what she thought and she said "It was nice to have some explanations about what's going on". Goes to show that not everyone is obsessively talking about the show online and knows everything that's going to happen.

Let that be a lesson to any nudniks who said this was "spinning wheels"

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain Monica's comment about not having "Creation" in the name SWORD since to my understanding its been called SWORD since its conception and has a sword as a logo so idk where the "C" would come in.

SCWORD?
I just rewatched it so that scene stuck out. I took it to mean that the organization had changed since the blip and they were actually involved with creating weapons or something of the like?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

SCWORD?
She was pointing out the group is supposed to Observe and Respond to Sentient Weapons not create them themselves.

She was countering his point that SWORD is making Sentient Weapons.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

SCWORD?
C.R.O.W.D.S.

But seriously, it was because the new director says since some time ago they step away from missions exploring the space to robotics, AI stuff, and building sentient weapons, so Monica meant in the sense SWORD was created to observe potential dangers and respond to threats, not "create" stuff before something came up, as they were walking amidst a bunch of people building stuff.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
C.R.O.W.D.S.

But seriously, it was because the new director says since some time ago they step away from missions exploring the space to robotics, AI stuff, and building sentient weapons, so Monica meant in the sense SWORD was created to observe potential dangers and respond to threats, not "create" stuff before something came up, as they were walking amidst a bunch of people building stuff.
somehow I missed that. now I think SWORD is the real villain, wouldn't be surprised if that director secretly doing experiment on Vision body, seriously, Robotics, AI, Nanotech, Sentient Weapon, it checks everything that is Vision.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
somehow I missed that. now I think SWORD is the real villain, wouldn't be surprised if that director secretly doing experiment on Vision body, seriously, Robotics, AI, Nanotech, Sentient Weapon, it checks everything that is Vision.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if some rogue Skrull factions were involved ( To set up Secret Invasion too :v )

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My wife made the point that since this episode takes place in the larger MCU, that the meta references moved from television to film homages and that the chronology stays the same. So in episode 4 we're in the 80s as a point of reference for homages coming from the 50s, 60s, and 70s in previous episodes.
This is kind of blowing my mind as a concept.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This show went places I wasn't expecting and I'm here for every minute of it. Can't wait for next week.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
This episode is shot and performed like a CBS All Access original series. Not digging it at all.

pwrshll

Oct 27, 2017
My wife isn't a fan of Kat Dennings, so she didn't care for when she showed up, but I'm digging the tie-ins with the MCU. I'm really liking the show and interested to see where it goes, though. I'm guessing
somehow Wanda survived Thanos and is (knowingly or unknowingly) using her powers to build out Westview where she can live out this fairy tale reality with an imagined Vision, who is otherwise actually dead.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So after watching episode 4 this morning I decided to treat myself to Captain Marvel for the first time since theaters. On a personal note I enjoyed it more on a second watch but I still think that film fell short of being much better. Here's hoping CM2 delivers.

Anyway after seeing Maria and Monica Rambeau, I am even more excited for the rest of Wandavision and further down the MCU line. It is so good to have this stuff back in the spotlight again!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My wife isn't a fan of Kat Dennings, so she didn't care for when she showed up, but I'm digging the tie-ins with the MCU. I'm really liking the show and interested to see where it goes, though. I'm guessing
somehow Wanda survived Thanos and is (knowingly or unknowingly) using her powers to build out Westview where she can live out this fairy tale reality with an imagined Vision, who is otherwise actually dead.

This is post-blip though, we already know Wanda survived the final battle with Thanos.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I need an episode from her point of view, I mean, this episode establishes we're like 3 weeks after the final battle of endgame, and

That funeral must have been on the first week most likely, and she ended up talking to hawkeye and while she's clearly really really sad, she seemed hopeful

pwrshll

Oct 27, 2017
This is post-blip though, we already know Wanda survived the final battle with Thanos.
I need an episode from her point of view, I mean, this episode establishes we're like 3 weeks after the final battle of endgame, and

That funeral must have been on the first week most likely, and she ended up talking to hawkeye and while she's clearly really really sad, she seemed hopeful

I'm an idiot. I forgot
Wanda helped beat Thanos in the final battle and was at Tony's funeral. I had it in my head she died along with Vision.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Some people here at ERA are extremely weird about time/length, as if longer runtimes assure quality. Its something I see time and time again across movie and TV threads. People getting hyped when they see the next Avengers is 3 hours long or whatever. I'll never get this line of thinking.
Definitely wish the latest episode was longer. Not 3 hours long, but 10 more minutes would have really been appreciated. My wife literally just said "wtf, that's it? That episode was like 15 minutes!"

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
You can hate it, that's fine, but to say that it was shot and performed like a CBS All Access show is completely and utterly baffling.
I simply found the acting and writing flat in a way that was jarring compared the previous episodes 🤷‍♂️

I'm not here trying to shit post, I'd very much prefer to enjoy it