• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Really interested in how they play Iron Lad in that case. Will he just be Cassie's love interest in Ant-Man 3? Or will he not be a thing at all?

I think he'll definitely be a thing he just won't be "Iron Lad" he'll be something actually cool
Time doesn't seem to be flowing any differently in the TV bubble based on Vision's comments. So some of the stuff with the pregnancy is extra weird, and also if it's only been two-three days, how has SWORD become involved so quickly

SWORD was already involved in the first ep, at least they were already monitoring the situation.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must have been half asleep this morning the first time watching this, but this part was some Lost shit.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think he'll definitely be a thing he just won't be "Iron Lad" he'll be something actually cool
He'll be the coolest!
harley_keener_iron_man_3.jpg

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wow much better episode but it left me wanting moaaaaarrrr damn so much mystery

Jakskkssks another week to wait ajjsksks

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know anything about the comics, but it's bizarre to me that people think they're going to use this show to introduce Mephisto, a character whose existence kinda upends the established theology and power structures of the MCU. It seems like they would want to do that further down the line, and in a more high-profile project. To have Mephisto show up now would be like having Loki suddenly appear at the end of Iron Man 1 or something. Or if they suddenly revealed that all of WandaVision was a simulation in Professor X's Danger Room......it's just too out-of-leftfield for too many viewers.

It's also weird that people think her kids are going to stick around and become part of some Young Avengers squad. Whatever's going on, I don't think Wanda is going to come out of it with anything other than trauma. Vision ain't sticking around, her twins aren't going to become fully grown teens who join the MCU. Some part of me thinks that the bizarre sanitized 50's & 60's sitcom structure is her mind coming to terms with the fact that her partner is incapable of basic "husbandly relations"......she's chosen a reality where they sleep in separate twin beds, and the conception of their children doesn't require sex to explicitly happen.

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know anything about the comics, but it's bizarre to me that people think they're going to use this show to introduce Mephisto, a character whose existence kinda upends the established theology and power structures of the MCU. It seems like they would want to do that further down the line, and in a more high-profile project. To have Mephisto show up now would be like having Loki suddenly appear at the end of Iron Man 1 or something. Or if they suddenly revealed that all of WandaVision was a simulation in Professor X's Danger Room......it's just too out-of-leftfield for too many viewers.

It's also weird that people think her kids are going to stick around and become part of some Young Avengers squad. Whatever's going on, I don't think Wanda is going to come out of it with anything other than trauma. Vision ain't sticking around, her twins aren't going to become fully grown teens who join the MCU. Some part of me thinks that the bizarre sanitized 50's & 60's sitcom structure is her mind coming to terms with the fact that her partner is incapable of basic "husbandly relations"......she's chosen a reality where they sleep in separate twin beds, and the conception of their children doesn't require sex to explicitly happen.
s5ccnlg8dt341.jpg

in all seriosness you say you aren't familiar with the source material and the source material is exactly what people are referring to. Young Avengers is coming-and Billy and Tommy are members of that team. And Mephisto is responsible for their initial existence.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

It's also weird that people think her kids are going to stick around and become part of some Young Avengers squad. Whatever's going on, I don't think Wanda is going to come out of it with anything other than trauma. Vision ain't sticking around, her twins aren't going to become fully grown teens who join the MCU. Some part of me thinks that the bizarre sanitized 50's & 60's sitcom structure is her mind coming to terms with the fact that her partner is incapable of basic "husbandly relations"......she's chosen a reality where they sleep in separate twin beds, the conception of their children doesn't require sex to explicitly happen.
The kids will stick around and become Young Avengers in a few years. They're already introducing Kate Bishop on another Disney+ series.

Its pretty much the same arc from the comics, Wanda poofed them into existence and then they reappear aged up into Wiccan and Speed.

...man, speed is a really generic superhero name.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

Well this is the first Phase 4 project, Marvel is def going to start setting things up and we already know this ties in to the next Dr Strange film.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The kids will stick around and become Young Avengers. They're already introducing Kate Bishop on another Disney+ series.

Its pretty much the same arc from the comics, Wanda poofed them into existence and then reapper aged up into Wiccan and Speed.

...man, speed is a really generic superhero name.
To be fair Speed became basically a supporting character and Wiccan became A-List.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

Mephisto isn't any weirder than Dormammu at the end of the day and Billy and Tommy are established superheroes in the comics already.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not familiar with the comic books but those Young Avengers names that people keep mentioning here are like...I don't know, if I was an Avenger and someone with the name Iron Lad, Hulkling or Wiccan came up to me I'd tell them they absolutely cannot sit with us

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I must have been half asleep this morning the first time watching this, but this part was some Lost shit.

Yeah this was a trip, really nice touch.

And after that ending, I am starting to think Wanda would be a huge threat as a villain and Olsen would knock it out of the park. I never saw the MCU Wanda the way I saw her just at the final moment.

My gf and I both had our jaws dropped and sat up in silence.

This is getting juicy.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Not familiar with the comic books but those Young Avengers names that people keep mentioning here are like...I don't know, if I was an Avenger and someone with the name Iron Lad, Hulkling or Wiccan came up to me I'd tell them they absolutely cannot sit with us

Still better than Ant Man

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in all seriosness you say you aren't familiar with the source material and the source material is exactly what people are referring to. Young Avengers is coming-and Billy and Tommy are members of that team. And Mephisto is responsible for their initial existence.
The kids will stick around and become Young Avengers in a few years. They're already introducing Kate Bishop on another Disney+ series.
I get that Billy & Tommy are established characters in the comics. It's just purely my gut intuition that they won't really be sticking around in any material way. The illusions of the WandaVision reality will come crashing down sooner or later, and the twins will disappear with it. I think that their inclusion is a nod to the comics, but that they aren't going to follow the established comic-book arcs to the letter in the same way that Civil War was not the same as the comics either. I could be completely wrong of course, and maybe Mephisto will eventually show up and force Wanda to give up some part of herself in exchange for the twins' continued existence.
Mephisto isn't any weirder than Dormammu at the end of the day and Billy and Tommy are established superheroes in the comics already.
I think that a Disney+ series would be a weird place to confirm that the MCU essentially follows the hierarchy of Christian theology, just because that is a revelation big enough to include in a feature film rather than a TV show sidestory.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think that a Disney+ series would be a weird place to confirm that the MCU essentially follows the hierarchy of Christian theology, just because that is a revelation big enough to include in a feature film rather than a TV show sidestory

Luke Skywalker showed up in Mandalorian. Disney+ is not "side story" - this is the featured presentation.

Last edited by a moderator:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I get that Billy & Tommy are established characters in the comics. It's just purely my gut intuition that they won't really be sticking around in any material way. The illusions of the WandaVision reality will come crashing down sooner or later, and the twins will disappear with it. I think that their inclusion is a nod to the comics, but that they aren't going to follow the established comic-book arcs to the letter in the same way that Civil War was not the same as the comics either. I could be completely wrong of course, and maybe Mephisto will eventually show up and force Wanda to give up some part of herself in exchange for the twins' continued existence.

I think that a Disney+ series would be a weird place to confirm that the MCU essentially follows the hierarchy of Christian theology, just because that is a revelation big enough to include in a feature film rather than a TV show sidestory.

Pointing out that we have no idea how important Disney considers their Disney+ shows. We are going to get characters like Ms Marvel and She Hulk on Disney+, who could have had their own movies. It's not "just a tv sidestory", I'm pretty sure they want these series to be important to the MCU.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
These Disney+ shows are literally setting the stage for phase 4 (or whatever we're calling the next decade of Marvel feature films) of the MCU. These aren't side stories. They are feature stories that will share the limelight with the feature films. Major characters and events will be introduced and developed on Disney+.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah, at this point we have:

Spider-Man
Shuri likely taking the mantle of Black Panther
Ms. Marvel getting a Disney + series
Ironheart getting a Disney + series
America Chavez rumored for Multiverse of Madness
Patriot rumored for Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Kate Bishop introduced in Hawkeye
Wiccan and Speed introduced here
Stature/Stinger likely getting her suit in Quantumania

Plus depending on how their plots go, we could get Teen Loki, Iron Lad/Young Vision, Wiccan and Speed just out of the currently shot Disney+ series. Secret Invasion could introduce Hulkiling. Nova has not so secretly been on Marvel Studios's "to-do list" for a long time. They could build an Infinity War sized team of teen heroes within a few years here.

Call me crazy, but during the behind the scenes of the Spider-Man ride, Peter Parker is riding with a young girl who looks exactly like Moon Girl from the comics. Maybe I'm just stretching things though.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
This is not a sidestory. This is the first part of the next arc.

Also Mephisto isn't literally the Christian Devil. He's a demon from another dimension who's styled after him.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have a theory that the reason she goes from zero to essentially giving birth is... She was pregnant the whole time.

She got pregnant right before Infinity War with Vision. All of this has been her wanting to have a normal life for her and her kids and all of this is her trying to emotionally cope with giving birth while being a single parent who tragically lost her love.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
They could just say that Memphisto is more like cosmic being from another realm like dormammu that just happen to mess around on earth. Didn't have to be directly related to Christian theology

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

Wakandans follow Egyptian and Hindu gods. It's not that serious.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I saw this on Reddit and now I wish the show had started like this lol

6fvv128ckuc61.png

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious what y'all make of the data here. The show doesn't seem to be making that big of a splash, at least compared to other big tentpole streaming offerings, especially when you take into consideration the mind numbing, record breaking budget that is behind it
How much are they really spending on WandaVision? I've heard it quoted as high as 25M per episode, but that seems like a lot for these low-scale sitcom parodies without a lot of action or CG.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
How much are they really spending on WandaVision? I've heard it quoted as high as 25M per episode, but that seems like a lot for these low-scale sitcom parodies without a lot of action or CG.

That was the budget, so just what they couldn't go over, but also don't think that just because it looks like a low-scale parody that it's cheap either, they had to go out of their way to do a lot to extremely accurately copy these sitcoms because they wanted it to be authentic and not a parody, including making tons of custom lenses for each time period for modern cameras that would accurately mimic the lenses of the time period.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The wording is key here. As high as 25m per episode. Which means not every episode will go up to that budget. The high budget episodes, with lots of CG and whatnot are likely stacked towards the end of the season.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's not that it's hard to believe that he could also be doing this. But it's literally not been teased in the slightest up till now. He have never used super speed. So dropping it in like that is weak. It's not something he's had all this time or he would have used it in Age of Ultron, Civil War and Infinity War. An ability popping up so suddenly is there for a reason. It's just one of many seeds being planted in these setup episodes. Maybe it has to do with Pietro, maybe he's a resurrected Vision with new abilities, who knows.

Also, Monica is a pilot so it makes sense. We are going to learn so much about Monica and what she's been up to since the 90s.
Honestly I think it's just supposed to go with the low budget nature of sitcoms. He can fly super fast, in a real sitcom it would be "we can't afford to show that" just speed up the tape and he'll be super fast.

Also the Doctor mentioned it was "like they were flying" so I think it's just to be sitcom shorthand for "he has super powers". Much like how Wanda's red glow hasn't shown up yet.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was the budget, so just what they couldn't go over, but also don't think that just because it looks like a low-scale parody that it's cheap either, they had to go out of their way to do a lot to extremely accurately copy these sitcoms because they wanted it to be authentic and not a parody, including making tons of custom lenses for each time period for modern cameras that would accurately mimic the lenses of the time period.
The Brady Bunch movies were probably budgeted at less than 20M for 90 minutes of period-accurate sets, costumes, and film-style. Maybe the final episodes of Wandavision are full of huge CG setpieces or something, but it's hard to imagine these first few episodes really breaking the bank.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
I think the wording was 'as much as' 25M per episode by the way. However, I think that was said in the context of having 6 episodes of an hour each. So, for a six hour show that's a budget of 150M. It would stand to reason that that 150M is spread out over 9 episodes for WandaVision. Probably indeed with more money going into the last three episodes than to the first six.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Need to pull a Kate Bishop and just take the name they are waiting to free up. Except Wiccan. He needs to figure that out himself.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017

Her kids are 100% sticking around.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Champions is such a lame generic team name, I have a hard time believing it's actually real.

It connotes a competition and not any sort of heroics too, which is weird in the context of villainy "This city block is dead he'll yeah WE AAAAAAAARE THE CHAMPIONS!!"
It's actual been around since 75. It was originally the CHAMPIONS of Los Angeles.

Your also thinking the wrong usage of champion. The team name refers to the definition of champion that means one that does battle for another's rights or honor.

In another world they are our Champions, who fight for us.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
They are doing such a good job with the use of the laugh track. It's so UNNERVING and antagonistic ... like, it legit gives me a strange feeling in my chest when I focus on it. Good call from the guest on last week's Fat Man Beyond on spotting how it's being used.

Agreed, and don't quite understand how some people still think it's a terrible basic trope as if the directors wouldn't have an intent with it lol

Nov 27, 2017

In the MCU, the humans mostly go by their real names anyway. It'll probably be ok.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I'm pretty sure that...

just rewatched episode 2 and I just realized Agnes makes an indirect multifaceted reference to the Devil. Dottie is making a speech and says the Devil is in the details, and then Agnes says "that's not the only place he's in" It seemed like a funny one-liner that was meant to poke fun at Dottie, but if theories are any indication, there's definitely more to it.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It would be so cool if Darcy Lewis pieces together the puzzle by just watching the episodes as we the audience are, and then brings the material we have to the SWORD higher ups to convince them to do this or that. Maybe revealing she's seen or connected something the audience haven't but the pieces were all there.

So, so far we got:

Wanda: She's in control, but not fully. She definitely wants to keep up the illusion and want no third parties to play a part in it. She might actually be the villain, having taken everybody hostage for her own gain.

Vision: Is aware something's not right, and keeps doubting stuff. He has some form of self-control. Might believe everything's real still, as Wanda keeps rewinding or cutting whenever he questions something.

Agnes: The nosy neighbor who tries hard being Wanda's best friend. Trying to push Wanda against Dottie, and not liking Monica one bit. She's aware of everything's that's going on, and might possibly be the right-hand for some evil force. Maybe a coven of witches who would try to get children out of her. To make a trade. Speculation on comic book runs.

Westview: It's definitely a real town taken hostage by Wanda. Some citizens are well aware of the situation and is playing along, others might possibly be forced to follow a script around her. They might all be SWORD agents.

SWORD: Trying to reach Wanda, monitoring her. Monica trying to become Wanda's best friend. Blending in with the script, maybe testing her limits with the Ultron call-back.

FBI: Jimmy Woo is an FBI agent and they're trying to reach Wanda, thinking somebody else is doing this to Wanda. Might be cooperating with SWORD or competing with them to get to her first.

Other entities could be Hydra, AIM, Grim Reaper, Mephisto etc. One thing, I don't think they would introduce one big new organization (SWORD) and re-introduce another big one (AIM) in the same show. Show is already gonna get weird as hell.

AIM was already introduced in Iron Man 3. The villain in Antman and the wasp was theorised to have been trying to get Pym tech for AIM. There were Beekeepers in the concept art for the movie too.

My new theory is that the Beekeeper we saw is really wearing a Beekeeper suit, controlling Bees like the way Antman controls ants. The part where they're working with Sword is what I can't explain away.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
AIM was already introduced in Iron Man 3. The villain in Antman and the wasp was theorised to have been trying to get Pym tech for AIM. There were Beekeepers in the concept art for the movie too.

My new theory is that the Beekeeper we saw is really wearing a Beekeeper suit, controlling Bees like the way Antman controls ants. The part where they're working with Sword is what I can't explain away.

I don't think AIM and Sword would be working together if it is AIM. They both could be after the same thing, figuring out what is going on and in AIM's case, controlling it.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Darcy: "After watching the latest episode I went on reddit and read a theory I think can help us."

"I'm telling you, it's Wanda! She is the big bad!"

I don't think AIM and Sword would be working together if it is AIM. They both could be after the same thing, figuring out what is going on and in AIM's case, controlling it.

Yup. That's the part I can't reconcile. But the Beekeeper suit had a Sword logo.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It's kind of cool that the real world has the cinematic aspect ratio.

It really makes me think that not only will we probably see it again when we see the real world again, but we could really get a movie within the TV show later on. Kind of a fun idea for them to play with.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It would be so cool if Darcy Lewis pieces together the puzzle by just watching the episodes as we the audience are, and then brings the material we have to the SWORD higher ups to convince them to do this or that. Maybe revealing she's seen or connected something the audience haven't but the pieces were all there.
That would be pretty funny if Darcy wasn't brought into SWORD because of any scientific expertise but because of her expertise in classic TV sitcoms.