• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Drive-by Posting
So the show is just a failed throwback with each unfunny episode ending in some "cliffhanger" that makes marvel super fans wonder how it ties into the universe?

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Pietro reference!!!!!!!!! I'm pretty sure that's the first time he's been referred to at all since Age of Ultron lmao. Only took 5 years. Also Wanda singing in Sokovian had me 🥺🥺🥺

"Oh, thank god" made me literally lol

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Alright I was pretty surprised how things went in this episode. They've done a good job hiding stuff in the promos (which I mean isn't a surprise, they made trailers for Endgame)

Curious how the kids dynamic will go on as we progress.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
great episode. elizabeth olsen is killing it.

also the stork and the rabbit are the same character right? whether that's mephisto or something else

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how self aware the residents are sometimes it seems like they're brainwashed into sitcom characters sometimes it seems they're forced to play a role

It's probably that when Wanda around they're programmed to follow a script with some degree of self awareness but the control loosens when they're not part of the "plot"

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I really love the edit that happened when Vision was being suspicious like reality/time was erased

(Que King Crimson joke)

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Great episode, the last 5 minutes were on fire.
Mega pumped about the Pietro talk in the episode.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f4f704b6c67334345314b36464c673d3d2d3436333631353538372e313464666661383132303632336133303839343339353832363536322e676966

Only negatives for me about the episode are that the pregnant part was way too long and that her big belly looked unbelievably fake, like what were they thinking with some of the shots in this multi million dollar production?

Other than that, mega hyped, give me all your sneaky hidden findings in screenshots.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You know what, these characters really aren't enough to fuel one (shitty) sitcom parody after another, and neither is this "mystery" interesting.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! So glad I wasn't the only one who's mind immediately jumped to AoS.

And the meaning is even deeper, when you realise the soap existed in the Framework, a fake reality, just like Wanda's.
What if it really is an AoS reference. Kevin Feige has mentioned the Marvel Television shows are there for inspiration so they could easily reference it like they do the comic books.

That was great, but fuck having to wait a full week for 25 minutes of this, specially as this cliffhanger was getting good! Seems that the show's creepy factor is ramping up really, really fast, to the point that I wonder how they can keep it up for 3-4 more episodes before it all falls apart
Yeah. They're moving much faster than I had expected. Hopefully they can keep it up for the next three episodes.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Only negatives for me about the episode are that the pregnant part was way too long and that her big belly looked unbelievably fake, like what were they thinking with some of the shots in this multi million dollar production?
Although I think it is on purpose, just like hiding the belly behind a bowl of fruit.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

Considering that they're parodying a 1970's sitcom production, I don't think that's really a nit worth picking. The entirety of the show should feel fake and overexaggerated. I mean outside the Vision House, unlike the previous episode which shot in a neighborhood, this time the neighborhood was represented by a matte-painting in exteriors for example.

It's all TV goofiness and production techniques. I'd overlook that if I were you.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Really enjoying the slow burn on reality unraveling. Seems the citizens know full well what's going on, are they all SWORD Agents of some sort?

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I enjoyed this episode too. It was clear why Winter Soldier was supposed to come out first with a big action movie vibe to hook people in before they get hit with this, but I dont mind this at all.

I wonder how self aware the residents are sometimes it seems like they're brainwashed into sitcom characters sometimes it seems they're forced to play a role

It's probably that when Wanda around they're programmed to follow a script with some degree of self awareness but the control loosens when they're not part of the "plot"

I wonder this too and to what extent who is in control. I suspect "someone" has made or triggered this sitcom reality in her mind. The people around her know it is not real but are working to continue the illusion because they are working for the side trying to keep her like this for whatever reason (I suspect they want the children? which seems like a Mephisto thing). The only one not scared of Wanda and gives her shit is Dottie or whatever, which lends more credence to the idea that if she isnt Mephisto she is at least in on what is going on.

However when the others are near Wanda, because she wants to believe it, she makes them actually believe it. Hence why Geraldine couldnt remember who she was entirely around Wanda even though she knew about Pietro and knew what she had come there to do (make contact, "wake" her up or break her out?). Wanda herself seems to retain her memories but chooses not to remember them, talking to Geraldine snapped her right out of not only the fantasy but the screen ratio!

I dont know, I get why people have been disappointed but I have been enjoying it. Bringing up how much it cost etc I think demonstrates that maybe some people know a bit too much about what is going on behind the curtain these days. Why not just watch it and enjoy it or not rather than wonder about where the 220 million dollars turn up or whatever?

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Really enjoying the slow burn on reality unraveling. Seems the citizens know full well what's going on, are they all SWORD Agents of some sort?

I dont think they are SWORD or I think they would be helping out Geraldine/Monica and trying to get through to Wanda. They seem to be trying very hard to do the exact opposite and trying to turn her and Vision against her in this episode. Hydra? AIM? Mephisto connected folk? All of that? I wouldnt put it past Hydra to want to check up / take control of Wanda in conjunction with some occult shit and AIM would be interested in the data at least!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Or, and I wouldn't put it past marvel, there's a specific episode in which shit goes seriously down and Marvel didn't show a single bit of it yet and told the actors to stay clear of that one in interviews.

I don't know but I also don't care too much at this point. Whatever they do, it will be pretty cool. At this point, I'm honestly hoping the last few "mcu movie" episodes will be able to keep up with the fantastic show pastiche ones. I'm honestly a bit scared it will all go downhill when we leave the realm of sitcom tv and go into full-on Marvel fight-the-bad-guy shenanigans with no secrets left to discover.
I hope like theres a weird mix between sitcoms with everything falling down with the last epsidoes. I dont really want 3 episodes or real world with how interesting the sitcom part is for me.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Monica is SWORD (the necklace) and might have ended up there accidentally (the helicopter in the bushes). Agnes knows she might make try to "wake up" Wanda and doesn't want that to happen because she's got her own plans going. No idea what's up with Herb though. The doctor seems like an ordinary person in "real" Westview who got trapped in the illusion.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
My theory (which was probably already mentioned in this huge thread): after the death of Vision, Wanda wanted to escape reality. But she had not developed her reality altering powers yet. She made a deal with Mephisto who promised her he could make her forget about all of it. Vision dying, Pietro dying. She somehow wound up in Westview, which is a real village in the MCU, with real people living there. Wanda uses her new reality warping powers to turn it, and it's inhabitants into her perfect view of American life, based on the (reruns) of American sitcoms she used to watch. Therefore the people of Westview are trapped there. Mephisto somehow wants Wanda to have kids, which she also wanted, but obviously can't have with Vision. (although this might be too sinister for an MCU-show.

Because this is Wanda's way of dealing (or not dealing) with the trauma of losing Vision and Pietro and other things, she suppresses anything that could hint at that in her perfect fantasyworld, though obviously that keeps coming up because it actually happened. And she ejects Geraldine for bringing up Pietro, which she doesn't want to, or can't deal with.

Aside from all this; Olsen was pretty scary when Geraldine mentioned Pietro. This show is so horror lite that it's unsettling at most, but Olsen could be terrifying in a full on, Carrie like horror movie about Wanda. Wow.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I was looking forward to more Geraldine in the show, but I was under the assumption that Wanda was in that reality involuntarily. While that doesn't seem to be the case.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
To those saying Vision never used super speed before, he does in Civil War (though it is very subtle)

luca

Oct 25, 2017
To those saying Vision never used super speed before, he does in Civil War (though it is very subtle)

I don't see that as super speed. He's just phasing toward her. Certainly not in the form of what the show does either. What the show does is completely different.

Last edited:

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My theory (which was probably already mentioned in this huge thread): after the death of Vision, Wanda wanted to escape reality. But she had not developed her reality altering powers yet. She made a deal with Mephisto who promised her he could make her forget about all of it. Vision dying, Pietro dying. She somehow wound up in Westview, which is a real village in the MCU, with real people living there. Wanda uses her new reality warping powers to turn it, and it's inhabitants into her perfect view of American life, based on the (reruns) of American sitcoms she used to watch. Therefore the people of Westview are trapped there. Mephisto somehow wants Wanda to have kids, which she also wanted, but obviously can't have with Vision. (although this might be too sinister for an MCU-show.

Because this is Wanda's way of dealing (or not dealing) with the trauma of losing Vision and Pietro and other things, she suppresses anything that could hint at that in her perfect fantasyworld, though obviously that keeps coming up because it actually happened. And she ejects Geraldine for bringing up Pietro, which she doesn't want to, or can't deal with.

Aside from all this; Olsen was pretty scary when Geraldine mentioned Pietro. This show is so horror lite that it's unsettling at most, but Olsen could be terrifying in a full on, Carrie like horror movie about Wanda. Wow.
I think this is absolutely spot on. I've been assuming that the main plot was either about Wanda's breakdown or Wanda's kids... but why not both?

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Another solid episode. Awesome to see the MCU debut of the twins. Things are starting to fell really wrong now, I love it

No question that Wanda is somewhat complicit now

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I got real Pleasant Hill vibes when Monica got thrown out of Wanda's reality. Looks like there was an old Westview that Wanda has hunkered down in.