• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 27, 2020
I really liked the "That was my grandmother's piano..." 😂
That was probably my favorite line across both episodes. It was such a perfectly dorky sitcom line, that both fed and broke the logic of the scene in JUST the right way. I mean, the audience is supposed to believe that everything shown is just smoke and mirrors, yet he is sad because his grandmother's piano became a cardboard cutout. That's EXACTLY the kind of thing that would have happened on an old sitcom.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That was probably my favorite line across both episodes. It was such a perfectly dorky sitcom line, that both fed and broke the logic of the scene in JUST the right way. I mean, the audience is supposed to believe that everything shown is just smoke and mirrors, yet he is sad because his grandmother's piano became a cardboard cutout. That's EXACTLY the kind of thing that would have happened on an old sitcom.
Shoot, the plot of most Bewitched episodes was one person seeing the magic and others not believing, usually Gladys the nosy neighbor.

Shoot, calling Agatha, Agnes is hilarious, since Agnes Moorehead was Endora on Bewitched.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The Dick Van Dyke Show came out in the 60's; they're not necessarily lining up perfectly. Full House was at its most popular during the 90's and has more of a 90's "feel" than Roseanne. Clips from the trailers make it look like Roseanne will get an episode at some point, so the assumption is 80's.

Also, the first ep is partly Dick Van Dyke and partly more housewife-focused sitcoms from the 50s. It's a blend. Dick Van Dyke Show was generally better and less corny than the first episode.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think vision can change his face at all. Wanda does and seeing as how she can reality warp stuff she prob can change it how she wants too

Nah, he had a human form on endgame and on the first episode he is the one who looks in the mirror, shakes his hand and turn human.
He also grew his cape out of nowhere on Age of Ultron. He can manipulate his appearance to some degree, but I don't think he can full blown shapeshift.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
User Banned (3 Days) and Permanently Threadbanned: Hostility, Thread Derail Over a Long Series of Posts
Be that as it may, did you really thing that people would be interested in a discussion of the pros and cons of a show with you when you start it basically with "maybe the reason you like it and I don't is because you're an uncritical sheep, as often the case"?

Maybe take a good look at how you actually convey your thoughts before yet again putting the responsibility of having a constructive conversation on other people for being "insecure."

It is entirely unfair to take anything that could be interpreted that way and say "You basically said this to everyone in the harshest, most insensitive way possible".

It fits with the rest of your aggressively condescending posts in this thread to be honest.

Calling Thanos, a CGI character, "blue" instead of "purple" absolutely can't be seen as aggressively condescending by any reasonable person. If you have a bias against me though, I could virtually say anything and trigger the "aggressively condescending" alarm in your head.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
It is entirely unfair to take anything that could be interpreted that way and say "You basically said this to everyone in the harshest, most insensitive way possible".

Calling Thanos, a CGI character, "blue" instead of "purple" absolutely can't be seen as aggressively condescending by any reasonable person. If you have a bias against me though, I could virtually say anything and trigger the "aggressively condescending" alarm in your head.
Just stop.

Jun 17, 2019
Just something on the reasons why Wanda's world might look the way it does, and the Communist lines. Given that her character is supposed to be from an Eastern European country I remember reading an article years ago about how sitcoms from that time period were something that younger people that are about Wanda's age used to watch as a means of learning English more fluently. This could be where the image of the old sitcoms come from for Wanda, like this is how she saw living in the States and such.

So about the various pins and brooches that are being worn on the show. As other's have pointed out Agnes has one that shows two humans (or human like) beings behind the image of a grim reaper. We've seen Grim Reapers helmet in the floor boards during an intro sequence. Eric Williams is the name of that character and he was a Villain in the Avengers, and the brother of Simon Williams (I think they might be twins too) who is Wonder Man and Wanda's first boyfriend before he 'died' and his thoughts were put in Vision, making them brothers some how (complicated and Comics). However his mother Martha Williams lived in the same town as Wanda and Vision and played a part in their Mini series.

The other brooch that I have to point to is Monica's as the pin she's wearing is based on her old 1970s symbol of Captain Marvel/Spectrum.

Another thing is that AIM HQ was in West Cadwell NJ in the past, so Westview might be something that was created by them to house people, and Wanda was sent in to spy on it and well this happened.

One other thing that caught my attention in regard to the bee keeper coming from the man hole is that that was the same way the Avengers did break into a location to get a group out in another comic, just can't remember which it was.

They tried this, it was called Damage Control and I think it never made it past the pilot phase. Seems like a great fit for D+, though.

Damage Control would be amazing. Given it was written by Dwayne McDuffy and had a lot of jokes about the situation with dealing with the fall out of a mess that the Avengers cause when they fight, it's a great commentary on superheros but also the modern world for messes after big events, like concerts gone wild.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Just something on the reasons why Wanda's world might look the way it does, and the Communist lines. Given that her character is supposed to be from an Eastern European country I remember reading an article years ago about how sitcoms from that time period were something that younger people that are about Wanda's age used to watch as a means of learning English more fluently. This could be where the image of the old sitcoms come from for Wanda, like this is how she saw living in the States and such.

So about the various pins and brooches that are being worn on the show. As other's have pointed out Agnes has one that shows two humans (or human like) beings behind the image of a grim reaper. We've seen Grim Reapers helmet in the floor boards during an intro sequence. Eric Williams is the name of that character and he was a Villain in the Avengers, and the brother of Simon Williams (I think they might be twins too) who is Wonder Man and Wanda's first boyfriend before he 'died' and his thoughts were put in Vision, making them brothers some how (complicated and Comics). However his mother Martha Williams lived in the same town as Wanda and Vision and played a part in their Mini series.

The other brooch that I have to point to is Monica's as the pin she's wearing is based on her old 1970s symbol of Captain Marvel/Spectrum.

Another thing is that AIM HQ was in West Cadwell NJ in the past, so Westview might be something that was created by them to house people, and Wanda was sent in to spy on it and well this happened.

One other thing that caught my attention in regard to the bee keeper coming from the man hole is that that was the same way the Avengers did break into a location to get
Re: those two characters you mentioned in your spoiler tag. Watch the interview sections of this featurette carefully.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought Vision was the one making himself be Paul Bettany.

We haven't seen anything else though, and that type of disguise doesn't seem to be Vision's MO (especially here lol)

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Vision's human disguise is definitely something he controls himself, otherwise Wanda wouldn't have had to remind him at the beginning of the first episode. Kinda surprised that didn't come up during the magic show but I guess that's one thing they could not adequately explain away to the talent show audience.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
We watched the first 2 episodes this weekend and I'm actually a bit surprised that people don't understand that this isn't supposed to just be a corny sit-com. Some coworkers were discussing it also and they completely wrote it off already from the 1st episode because it isnt what they thought it would be.

I think its incredibly interesting so far and I am glad they took a chance on something like this. We are looking forward to how it plays out over the weeks.
If when whatever twist happens work, these people will be tripping over themselves watching again to catch up and see what all the fuss is about.

If marvel pulls off the long game, it will pay off for them.
I loved the first 2 episodes. Getting that Lost weekly debate feeling again.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
We watched the first 2 episodes this weekend and I'm actually a bit surprised that people don't understand that this isn't supposed to just be a corny sit-com. Some coworkers were discussing it also and they completely wrote it off already from the 1st episode because it isnt what they thought it would be.

I think its incredibly interesting so far and I am glad they took a chance on something like this. We are looking forward to how it plays out over the weeks.
Did you by chance ask them what they thought it was gonna be? I know people meme about the average person being conditioned to "like" all the non-stop action of superhero films, but I have yet to see anyone else with a similar opinion actually explain what they were expecting despite all the marketing material very clearly showing off the fact that WV was going to be a played-strait sitcom with more mysterious elements.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
Finally watched these and wow they are not afraid of boring the crap out us. Maybe I'll just wait until they're all out and binge because there not giving any strings to pull me into the next episode other than ~wHaTs gOiNg oN??~. Realllly brave of them haha.

How many episodes are there gonna be?

Like I'm just supposed to be impressed at the studio's ability to emulate tv shows from past decades with a few spooky crumbs sprinkled in between? Feels kinda gimmicky, hope they abandon that soon because the whiteness of these old types of sitcoms is kinda nauseating to me.

Sorry, I'm happy the people that like it like it. For what they're doing they're pulling it off well. Stage lighting, dialog... the laugh track isn't right tho. They don't give it enough room, feels like an afterthought.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
If when whatever twist happens work, these people will be tripping over themselves watching again to catch up and see what all the fuss is about.

If marvel pulls off the long game, it will pay off for them.
I loved the first 2 episodes. Getting that Lost weekly debate feeling again.
Yeah it feels like we just saw a Dharma shark for the first time. Those were the days.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched these and wow they are not afraid of boring the crap out us. Maybe I'll just wait until they're all out and binge because there not giving any strings to pull me into the next episode other than ~wHaTs gOiNg oN??~. Realllly brave of them haha.

How many episodes are there gonna be?

Like I'm just supposed to be impressed at the studio's ability to emulate tv shows from past decades with a few spooky crumbs sprinkled in between? Feels kinda gimmicky, hope they abandon that soon because the whiteness of these old types of sitcoms is kinda nauseating to me.

Sorry, I'm happy the people that like it like it. For what they're doing they're pulling it off well. Stage lighting, dialog... the laugh track isn't right tho. They don't give it enough room, feels like an afterthought.
Nine episodes.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Yeah it feels like we just saw a Dharma shark for the first time. Those were the days.
It feels like it can go to so many places right now that I'm almost dreading when we finally get it. But I foresee every episode narrowing the scope for us until the end of Season 1, and then a year of speculation.

Right now I'm at the "Wanda is grieving and created this personal universe for her" train. But it does not really shows the danger stakes, I assume that's where mephisto would come to play, but I'm not sure how. I really miss having only pieces of the puzzle.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Even putting aside the set-ups what's coming next, I'm surprised there are people getting taken off-guard by the sitcom format.

Like... the advertisements made absolutely no secret what this was about whatsoever. Even the thumbnails on Disney+ make it pretty obvious.

Last edited:

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like it can go to so many places right now that I'm almost dreading when we finally get it. But I foresee every episode narrowing the scope for us until the end of Season 1, and then a year of speculation.

Right now I'm at the "Wanda is grieving and created this personal universe for her" train. But it does not really shows the danger stakes, I assume that's where mephisto would come to play, but I'm not sure how. I really miss having only pieces of the puzzle.

Wheter she created it or not, the trailers seem to indicate it is a bubble over some actual place, and there is a good chance the townspeople are innocent bystanders.

I think the stakes will be the choice of keeping this ideal life going, especially if giving it up means watching the vision dies yet again.
I'm still not a 100% sold that Wanda herself isn't the big bad here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even putting aside the set-ups what's coming next, I'm surprised there are people getting taken off-guard by the sitcom format.

Like... the advertisements made absolutely no secret what this was about whatsoever. Even the thumbnails on Disney+ makes it pretty obvious.
Maybe they expected the curtain to be pulled away sooner? Only thing I can think of.

Oct 25, 2017
Did you by chance ask them what they thought it was gonna be? I know people meme about the average person being conditioned to "like" all the non-stop action of superhero films, but I have yet to see anyone else with a similar opinion actually explain what they were expecting despite all the marketing material very clearly showing off the fact that WV was going to be a played-strait sitcom with more mysterious elements.

Personally, I didn't see anything about this outside of this forum. I think I watched the first trailer a couple of months ago and honestly wasn't very interested based on that. I went into it knowing there was some old sitcom backdrop, but figured that it's MCU, so they must be doing something cool with the concept. I don't need superhero action, but I need something. Good comedy, drama, sci-fi exploration, a who done it...something. I'll give it two more episodes, but it's just not good as an old sitcom, or a super hero show. One of my favorite episodes of The Watchmen was were they explained how they fell in love. No action at all from what I remember.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Wheter she created it or not, the trailers seem to indicate it is a bubble over some actual place, and there is a good chance the townspeople are innocent bystanders.

I think the stakes will be the choice of keeping this ideal life going, especially if giving it up means watching the vision dies yet again.
Just saw the trailer for episode 3, im kinda bummed that they reveal the play so soon, but yeah you are right its not in her head... I wonder then if this is her creation or if someone created this and trapped wanda and some innocents inside? And what would be the purpose, Im curious to se what happened between Thanos being defeated and this.

Since Monica is clearly in it, I wonder if we can pinpoint location? It has to be NY somewhere, right?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
As someone who know about old sitcom but never actually watched then. The sitcom humor in Wandavision really work for me. I was laughing at almost all the jokes and have a really great time with it.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who know about old sitcom but never actually watched then. The sitcom humor in Wandavision really work for me. I was laughing at almost all the jokes and have a really great time with it.
As someone in this thread said a long time ago-the second Vision walked through the front door and dropped Wanda I was fully in.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the trailer for episode 3, im kinda bummed that they reveal the play so soon, but yeah you are right its not in her head... I wonder then if this is her creation or if someone created this and trapped wanda and some innocents inside? And what would be the purpose, Im curious to se what happened between Thanos being defeated and this.

Since Monica is clearly in it, I wonder if we can pinpoint location? It has to be NY somewhere, right?

New Jersey from the area code in the "for sale" sign of their house.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
.. the laugh track isn't right tho. They don't give it enough room, feels like an afterthought.

Pretty sure that's intentional.

In E2 she rewinds the episode, so we can infer that she's not just controlling stuff to be like a sitcom, but she's controlling the sitcom. If that's the case, then she's controlling the laugh track, which explains why it's so often out of place or oddly timed.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that's intentional.

In E2 she rewinds the episode, so we can infer that she's not just controlling stuff to be like a sitcom, but she's controlling the sitcom. If that's the case, then she's controlling the laugh track, which explains why it's so often out of place or oddly timed.
Yeah in episode 2 when the helicopter crashes she looks up and there's a laugh cue. It's clearly meant to be unusual.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
The only places I felt the laugh track were off was after the two reality breaks (the choke on ep. 1 and the radio and blood on ep. 2).
There the laugh tracks felt as a forced transition back to sitcom reality as in neither case they were an answer to an actual joke (Mrs. Hart just getting up like normal after the creepy scene and Dottie saying a housewife cleans blood by herself).

Yeah in episode 2 when the helicopter crashes she looks up and there's a laugh cue. It's clearly meant to be unusual.

There, too.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019

If the other people are innocent bystanders, than I wonder why the couple in the dinner didn't react to vision saving the guy choking by phasing. I mean, is she literally controlling everyone's reactions to things too? Surely they would at least react differently?

The trailer for 3 shows Monica realizing something is wrong, wonder why this has not happened to that couple in the dinner, makes me think different people inside are created by different entities or for different purposes.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
If the other people are innocent bystanders, than I wonder why the couple in the dinner didn't react to vision saving the guy choking by phasing. I mean, is she literally controlling everyone's reactions to things too? Surely they would at least react differently?

The trailer for 3 shows Monica realizing something is wrong, wonder why this has not happened to that couple in the dinner, makes me think different people inside are created by different entities or for different purposes.

I don't know, that's one of the big mysteries, it is obvious Wanda has some control over reality (rewinding after beekeeper), but then things like dottie and Mr. Hart confronting her so directly seem off-script (unlike, say, Vision being drunk and she having to improvise the magic show which is the expected unexpected sitcom shenanigan). She also seemed surprised by the "For the children" chant.

And then the voice on the radio asks "who is doing this TO you".
We are definetly lacking some pieces of the puzzle to draw conclusions because if that's entirely on her, I can't see how she isn't a villain, even if trauma and grief was led her to it, hijacking a neighbourhood in a magical spell is kind of a big deal.
And if it is something done TO her, how does she have this much agency?

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I don't know, that's one of the big mysteries, it is obvious Wanda has some control over reality (rewinding after beekeeper), but then things like dottie and Mr. Hart confronting her so directly seem off-script (unlike, say, Vision being drunk and she having to improvise the magic show which is the expected unexpected sitcom shenanigan). She also seemed surprised by the "For the children" chant.

And then the voice on the radio asks "who is doing this TO you".
We are definetly lacking some pieces of the puzzle to draw conclusions because if that's entirely on her, I can't see how she isn't a villain, even if trauma and grief was led her to it, hijacking a neighbourhood in a magical spell is kind of a big deal.
And if it is something done TO her, how does she have this much agency?
I think power levels play a role here too, I mean in Endgame Wanda went toe to toe with Thanos and bested him. She is Captain marvel level of power. After that fight and the world knowing these heroes in more detail, makes sense humans would want to control these heroes more directly.

Seems like the original heroes are the only ones "safe" since the can be bested by military might, like falcon and the winter soldier, clint, etc. Now hulk, wanda, those guys are gods among humans. So I see a big motivation here is humans freaking out and trying to get control, not necessarily the govt but individual organizations, like a branch of shield, or hydra.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

so I enjoyed the episodes and think most of the pastiche stuff is great, but I do have to agree that the laugh track is often weird (and not weird in the intentional sense; which is is also sometimes in moments like the above).

but I think it sounds off in the wrongs ways a lot of the time. They clearly did so much research for this show, but the laugh track isn't quite there. Part of it is that it sounds much higher fidelity than the classic laugh tracks we all recognize; parts of the show were filmed for an audience presumably not onto old magnetic tape so that tracks. they haven't done enough to the audio to make it sound "right" though, if that makes sense. another aspect is that it often sounds like there is really only one degree of laughter. in the second episode, which i think has more scenes not shot for an audience, it often really sounds like there's one loop of laughter that is just faded in and out, at the same intensity, for every joke.

i realize this is 100% something only me, a crazy person would notice or care about, and it's not a big deal. but the dude who made laugh tracks ubiquitous was a fascinating guy, who worked with a mysterious machine he didn't let anyone look at and dubbed countless sitcoms with his own meticulously curated tracks, which is where you get the more natural sounding buildups—a few chuckles during the setup, some standout laugh lines, the full crowd laughing and clapping at the end of the scene, etc etc—that feel missing here.

anyway the tl;dr is that i think there are two conversations happening past each other in response to the laugh track: they are absolutely deploying it in weird places on purpose (Lynch's Rabbits style) and the actual thing they're deploying in weird places on purpose doesn't sound quite... right for what they're going for, if that makes sense. I think both things are true. out of all the things they nailed with the sitcom stylings, it's the thing i think i'd rank near the bottom. not show breaking, obvious, just a little off.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm with you. I've seen all of the old sitcoms, and really don't feel like they need to be revisited. The laugh track is way overused and everything just feels so forced. It really feels like someone just wanted to make a whole bunch of jokes that aren't relevant today and are using this format to make them okay.

I think the sitcom jokes have at least two different layers, in that the intention is to laugh at them equally as with them. The sort of cornball humor depicted in the show is quite representative of the physical and verbal comedy of 50s/60s sitcoms and of course that humor doesn't work today. I'd say the laughs come more from the absurdity of the situation (two MCU characters in a 50s sitcom) than the actual jokes themselves, although the jokes do have comedic value as a nostalgic reference to the originals.

That said, the show is setting up a mystery so laughs are not its main goal. I feel that the sitcom setting is a mystery in itself and right now we are drip fed pieces of the puzzle. I do get entertainment from the sitcom recreations because I used to watch many of them when I was a kid but my main focus is scanning every line and visual cue for clues to the overall mystery.