• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Will check this out, seems pretty magical from the trailers. Something that I've been missing in all this comic content. The trailer didn't look interesting, but they were just clips of them emulating other shows. Right now doom patrol is my #1 comic show and it didn't have great trailers either. So cautiously optimistic.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine tone policing Resetera comments that actually explain why these reactions are not very useful and to keep expectations in check.
What does that even add to the discussion that hasn't been said a thousand times before for in every impression thread ever made on this site?

At least people getting offended by a David Lynch comparison are engaging with the actual substance of the comments these people are making in their impressions.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I get the hesitation because of the Wonder Woman thing but Marvel Studios have more than proven themselves at this point.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
And thus the Marvel Cycle begins anew

*Good first impressions*
"Never believe first impressions remember [DC movie]"
*Marvel stuff is actually well received"
"Well duh, it's just them sticking to the winning formula"

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
What does that even add to the discussion that hasn't been said a thousand times before for in every impression thread ever made on this site?

At least people getting offended by a David Lynch comparison are engaging with the actual substance of the comments these people are making in their impressions.
My second comment does add something useful to the discussion by explaining why and how these people are semi-forced to give a positive early opinion (example: Koch Media Spain banning Areajugones), your comments add absolutely nothing to the discussion and are simply trolling attacks replying to people directly.

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Its really amazing how people who have not seen the show are taking exception with the way people who have seen the show are describing it. Like its out in a week you can wait to watch it and form your own opinion before clowning others for theirs. Yall sound like last of 2 haters from before the game even came out.
We live in a world where media shills and professional manchildren have first access and the public doesn't. We literally cannot form our own opinion on it.

Pre-release marketing is predicated on the foundation that our perception of the thing is overwhelmingly positive before having consumed it! Disney knows this, man, they're good at it. The marketing is *designed* to be this way.

What did you expect to happen?

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
This looks genuinely amazing, so I give them the benefit of the doubt with this one.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
My second comment does add something useful to the discussion by explaining why and how these people are semi-forced to give a positive early opinion (example: Koch Media Spain banning Areajugones), your comments add absolutely nothing to the discussion and are simply trolling attacks replying to people directly.
You think they were forced to be positive and they would ban someone like this separate media company example? You think this comparison is 1:1?

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
You think they were forced to be positive and they would ban someone like this separate media company example? You think this comparison is 1:1?
Read my second comment again, I'm not saying anyone is going to get banned but Koch Media Spain did stop paying for ads and giving Areajugones early access to events and products, so stuff like that happens, and is the reason why these people LITERALLY ALL OF THEM give a positive opinion about LITERALLY EVERYTHING, regardless of its quality.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Read my second comment again, I'm not saying anyone is going to get banned but Koch Media Spain did stop paying for ads and giving Areajugones early access to events and products, so stuff like that happens, and is the reason why these people LITERALLY ALL OF THEM give a positive opinion about LITERALLY EVERYTHING, regardless of its quality.
Literally all of them give a positive opinion about literally everything. So how do you explain when impressions are negative?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And thus the Marvel Cycle begins anew

*Good first impressions*
"Never believe first impressions remember [DC movie]"
*Marvel stuff is actually well received"
"Well duh, it's just them sticking to the winning formula"
Without fail.

"I only like stupid movies that put you to sleep in art houses or whatever bullshit."

Good for you, go be a weirdo somewhere else. lmao

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Literally all of them give a positive opinion about literally everything. So how do you explain when impressions are negative?
I'm talking about early impressions, 99.9999999% of them are positive, I can't even find one that is negative, and that happens with everything (even for bad movies like BvS, SQ, TROS...) because of what I explained in my second comment.

I explain the negative ones by saying that some sites don't give a fuck about whether or not companies stop giving them access to their premiers, events and products. Easy to explain. But that usually happens (if it happens at all) with only big sites, because small sites can't take that risk (which is why many companies like Disney are giving early access to smaller and smaller bloggers, youtubers and sites everytime, not because they particularly like them but because they know there are most probably going to give excessingly positive opinions online about their content, Wonder Woman 1984 is the most egregious example of this).

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Generally, Marvel is a safe bet so I do believe the critics - the only reason I'd be cautious at this point is that they've only seen three of nine episodes.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm talking about early impressions, 99.9999999% of them are positive, I can't even find one that is negative, and that happens with everything (BvS, SQ, TROS...) because of what I explained in my second comment.

I explain the negative by sites don't giving a fuck about whether or not companies stop giving them access to their premiers, events and products. Easy to explain.
People posted negative impressions from other films in this thread, but carry on. You have your mind made up and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise.

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
People posted negative impressions from other films in this thread, but carry on. You have your mind made up and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise.
???

I literally said that early negative premiews exist, but that they are very rare because of what I explained. Don't feel disappointed the next time you go see a 90% tomatometer movie, don't like it at all and see that it ends up rotten two weeks later, because I am just warning you that this is how the industry works.

OP
OP
Richiek

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
???

I literally said that early negative premiews exist, but that they are very rare because of what I explained. Don't feel disappointed the next time you go see a 90% tomatometer movie, don't like it at all and see that it ends up rotten two weeks later, because I am just warning you that this is how the industry works.

It's been well established in this thread that WW84's RT score is an exception to the rule.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
???

You know what? You are completely right.

Thanks for opening my eyes and warning me of how the industry works 99.999999999% of the time giving a literally positive opinion about literally everything. I will heed your warning and never let them fool me again.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Cautiously optimistic about this, though I can't take twitter early impressions at first value - as others have said, people ALWAYS praise stuff pre-release.

Been re-reading Tom King's Vision the past few days and I'll be curious to see if this tries to emulate the domestic horror tone of that series.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's because of the taint of Age of Ultron but I have never cared about these two characters in the MCU and have just been bored waiting for the scene to change whenever they appear. IDK, Scarlet Witch just feels like she wandered off of a Sony X-Men movie.

Anyway, will still check out if non-curated impressions are good.

May 19, 2020
Without fail.

"I only like stupid movies that put you to sleep in art houses or whatever bullshit."

Good for you, go be a weirdo somewhere else. lmao
you can like stupid bullshit and art house naptime bullshit at the same time. this isn't complicated. well, maybe it is for some people who make media their whole life lol.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone interested in discussing what people are saying about the show or is this thread only for derailing to talk about how you can't trust impressions and shitposting?

It sounds like with these people only watching 3 episodes, it's hard to gauge the over all execution of the show. Obviously the show was going to be weird, but it seems that mystery is going to be playing more of a role than I expected. It's also interesting to hear that the format allows Bettany to flex his comedic chops and that people think he really nails it since I didn't expect that from what I've seen from him. In general it sounds like the format allows both Paul and Elzabeth to really flex their acting muscles to explore these characters in ways that most actors wouldn't get to do; from the super silly to the more serious. One reservation I had was how the show would balance not only the tonal shifts from one era of sitcom to the next, but the tonal shifts from almost horror to camp to drama, from what it sounds like, and it seems like they've executed it pretty well.

Apparently episodes are 25-30 minutes long. That seems to work for the sitcom format, and explains how it is 9 episodes long but hopefully some of the later episodes get a little more breathing room. Judging by the reaction to the Mandalorian, that will piss people off who expect hour long episodes as the standard now.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Apparently episodes are 25-30 minutes long. That seems to work for the sitcom format, and explains how it is 9 episodes long but hopefully some of the later episodes get a little more breathing room.
Some of them are longer from what some are saying, so I assume once the cracks are REALLY showing they wont be constrained to a "normal" TV show length.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
I'm going to be blown away if this even remotely Lynchian and not just 'wow, they changed the camera filter for this episode, so weird!'

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I like different takes on Superhero movies and shows. I loved Legion for this. Hopefully WandaVision will deliver.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn so many people are so neutral or negative in this thread. I get that after TROS and WW84, people are hesitant by early reactions but I feel confident considering Disney has been consistent with their Marvel content for years.

I'm very excited and eager to see how this show plays out

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be really excited to see this show even if I wasn't a Marvel fan just based on the trailer. It's one of the best trailers I've seen in a while, it does an amazing job selling the tone of this weird ass show.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do these read like ads or astroturfing?

That's what they are. It could be some dogshit and these early impression people would still love it. If they actually are negative about something then that thing is probably irredeamably terrible that not even them can fake their shit.

LilZippa

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
I'm ready for some escapism. Feed it into my veins. I really hope I can get my wife on board, but I think she will see Marvel and barely pay attention then get confused as to what is happening.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
How is this going to be released? Mandalorian style of once a week? These people say they saw the first three episodes, will the first three be released at once?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Ehhh it depends, tv is a different beast. This is the first of the shows, right? So being cautious is expected.

Fair point, it is indeed the first Marvel Studios TV show. I'm not worried at all though because comic books as a medium are a perfect fit for a TV adaptation, with each episode being the next 'issue'. I am much more of a TV fan than a movie fan and I think that on TV there will be more room to flesh out characters and events.

Same boat. Been burned by these in the past but never for a Marvel Studios joint, so I think we're probably safe to be optimistic.

Yeah, as long as Kevin Feige doesn't stretch himself too thin managing all these different projects I am very optimistic.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone interested in discussing what people are saying about the show or is this thread only for derailing to talk about how you can't trust impressions and shitposting?

It sounds like with these people only watching 3 episodes, it's hard to gauge the over all execution of the show. Obviously the show was going to be weird, but it seems that mystery is going to be playing more of a role than I expected. It's also interesting to hear that the format allows Bettany to flex his comedic chops and that people think he really nails it since I didn't expect that from what I've seen from him. In general it sounds like the format allows both Paul and Elzabeth to really flex their acting muscles to explore these characters in ways that most actors wouldn't get to do; from the super silly to the more serious. One reservation I had was how the show would balance not only the tonal shifts from one era of sitcom to the next, but the tonal shifts from almost horror to camp to drama, from what it sounds like, and it seems like they've executed it pretty well.

Apparently episodes are 25-30 minutes long. That seems to work for the sitcom format, and explains how it is 9 episodes long but hopefully some of the later episodes get a little more breathing room. Judging by the reaction to the Mandalorian, that will piss people off who expect hour long episodes as the standard now.

It would be pretty bad if the first impression wouldn't be good. It's the most important thing to get the cow of anything running: First impression.

What's cool is that they can finally do something differently and don't have to expect to pull in big cinema numbers. They can experiment a lot more and see what sticks and what works and also expand loved characters and try to push them further for the future installments. Also both actors can play new roles and shine in a new way which freshes things up a lot. But that only works for a TV series and I don't expect something that will blow my mind. It will have some nice twist in the last episodes and will show us what to expect for Marvel in the near future, but I don't expect it to be a show that people will talk about even years later which is fine.

Those Twitter impressions though could be mine after watching all the clips and trailers so far. It's just to get everyone in the correct mood for next week and nothing else. Pretty pointless with them only having seen the first three episodes.