• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i'm starting to notice trends with "positive" early impressions for things end up sucking. "it's risky," "the cast is having a blast," "it was fun/intriguing to watch" etc. an impression for something that is really good would be "that was really fucking good."

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
i'm starting to notice trends with "positive" early impressions for things end up sucking. "it's risky," "the cast is having a blast," "it was fun/intriguing to watch" etc. an impression for something that is really good would be "that was really fucking good."
You can choose to believe them or not. Marvel movies have the same early reactions as well.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I mean, you brought the receipts so I can't really argue with you there

Look again? Okay.

gZoR1EY.png

A quick look at just the first two pages of the impressions thread on Era shows that Rise of Skywalker early impressions were mixed with some people saying they loved it, some saying they hated it and some who were unsure what to think.

You were purposefully selective in the tweets you selected to try and prove your point. However, Rise of Skywalker is -- factually -- not an example of a movie with sweeping overly positive early impressions. The receipts are right here and throughout the first pages of that thread.

It's good to be cautious of early impressions. Look who is posting them and their history. Be careful not to confuse critics with fan impressions (like we saw with BvS). Don't take them as some instant fact that the movie or show is great. But the idea that "early impressions are always glowing no matter what" isn't true.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Look again? Okay.

You were purposefully selective in the tweets you selected to try and prove your point. However, Rise of Skywalker is -- factually -- not an example of a movie with sweeping overly positive early impressions. The receipts are right here and throughout the first pages of that thread.

I purposefully selected tweets from people quoted in this thread hyping WandaVision. Obviously there were actual critics that correctly laid out the true actuality of TROS. Why would I highlight those tweets from individuals not now hyping WandaVision? The point is to compare reactions to see if their reactions are consistently "HYPE" or actually objective. Steven Weintraub (@colliderfrosty), quoted in this thread, is an example of someone who did call out TROS as shite but is positive on WV. So, they're less likely to be bullshitting than the others I directly compared.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pro tip for anyone that wants a condensed way to check impressions:

go to twitter, search

"wandavision filter:verified"

And it'll pretty much give you all impressions in one place since it will only have results from verified users. On tweetdeck you can also set a bar to only show a tweet with a minimum like threshold to narrow it down a bit

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for how weird this seems to be.

I'm really happy that every single early impressions thread becomes a discussion about early impressions in general.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
I hate the MCU movies but I think I'll like their tv series. tv will force a lot more character development and story and a lot less "spectacle".

I haven't started the mandilorian yet but it is my feeling why it is doing Soo much better than the movies.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These aren't critic reactions they're PR from disney. I don't know why they're taken seriously

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hear me out, what if the people speaking positively about these things actually like them?

Like there are legitimately people, reviewers and general audience, who like TROS and WW84 despite a lot of people not liking them. This isn't me saying that automatically means WandaVision is bad because the people who like it like TROS, but c'mon.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I just realized, it's been a year and a half since we've had a social media reactions thread to an MCU property on Era.

A year and a half since glowing initial impressions.

A year and a half of some Era posters jumping over themselves to tell everyone that social media impressions don't matter and then pointing to the nearest released shitty DCEU film that was only screened for enthusiast press.

A year and a half since it turns out the social media impressions were fairly spot on and it turned out to be good to great.

A year and a half since the hype.

I'm so excited for this.

May 19, 2020
Hear me out, what if the people speaking positively about these things actually like them?

Like there are legitimately people, reviewers and general audience, who like TROS and WW84 despite a lot of people not liking them. This isn't me saying that automatically means WandaVision is bad because the people who like it like TROS, but c'mon.
i'm sure they do. the access is just a bonus

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, those are early impressions. I'm sure the show will be fine-good at the very least.

Aug 28, 2018
lol I remember early social media reactions also promised that Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel were super weird BONKERS and ambitious.