• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when the next Avengers film will drop.

It doesn't feel like the MCU is actually building towards anything. We have this multiverse stuff but none of it really seems to connect between the shows/movies in terms of building to something bigger.

There doesn't seem to be a consistent underlying plot thread that gradually builds among all the movies like we saw in the lead up to Infinity War.
Not sure if you can count it, but Kang the Conqueror is being setup for something big. There's also other mini threads like Thunderbolts and Young Avengers taking shape. But I do understand your main paint though, since there isn't any major future plot being teased like with the Infinity Stones. I'm a believer in the theory that Secret Wars is gonna happen once the F4/Mutants stuff settles.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Disney's creativity has died.

Worse: I was responsible for it, since I wanted Marvel and Star Wars indefinitely during the whole 2010 decade.

It seems the only guy that is able to bring people to cinema with somewhat original ideas is Christopher Nolan.

Sad times...

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
God damn. I'm a recent convert to appreciating Avatar but I really wasn't expecting 2 years between sequels even after all this time

Oct 25, 2017
One of them has me both really excited and curious

2023 - the only movie on the list that actually says the day of week it'll release on ( Wed - 11/22/23 )

Untitled Disney Animation

I'm really excited for this! I love Disney Animation movie

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
One of them has me both really excited and curious

2023 - the only movie on the list that actually says the day of week it'll release on ( Wed - 11/22/23 )

Untitled Disney Animation

I'm really excited for this! I love Disney Animation movie

Is this because Thanksgiving will be Thursday? Weird that only one Disney Animation is listed (compared with 3 for Pixar) , hope they'll have one for 2024 too.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm fascinated by what $ benchmark Disney will qualify Avatar 2 as being successful

I don't doubt it will be a technical marvel but having 4 sequels lined up to a movie that came out 13 years ago is a pretty unique scenario, as is the likely financing of the movies (Fox would have sunk a lot of the money for development presumably pre-buyout, so do Disney 'care' in a conventional sense if it underperforms?)

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Wait I knew there were 3 more Avatar in the making, but wth there is an Avatar 5?

I'm probably wrong, but I don't see them doing aswell as the first one

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fascinated by what $ benchmark Disney will qualify Avatar 2 as being successful

I don't doubt it will be a technical marvel but having 4 sequels lined up to a movie that came out 13 years ago is a pretty unique scenario, as is the likely financing of the movies (Fox would have sunk a lot of the money for development presumably pre-buyout, so do Disney 'care' in a conventional sense if it underperforms?)
I wonder also. If reports are true 4 films from Cameron at the cost 1B is not that crazy per film. I don't see a scenario where it does underperform? 1B is the floor.

Feb 24, 2018
So what I'm getting here is blockbusters are now in the same position as AAA video games are/were, focus on less franchises and maximise and capitalize the hell the hell out of them?

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of crazy that Avatar 2 and the other sequels have slowly become just like the first movie, pushed back for years and years. Way back when Avatar was supposed to come out in 1999 and it came out in 2009 we are in freaking 2022 and Avatar 2 is still not out. Crazy times. Legit interested to see Avatar 2 in a theatre, hope the technology blows us away.
What the fuck are you talking about? Avatar was never meant to come out in 1999. Digital Domain read the thing in 1995 and basically told Cameron it was impossible then. He didn't pull it out of a drawer until 2005. Production didn't start on it till 2007.

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck are you talking about? Avatar was never meant to come out in 1999. Digital Domain read the thing in 1995 and basically told Cameron it was impossible then. He didn't pull it out of a drawer until 2005. Production didn't start on it till 2007.

Chill out. I had read there was a period of time it was planned to be his next movie after Titanic which would have had it coming out in 99 if they had gone through with it. Which like you said they decided to put in on a shelf in 95, until the technology improved.

Was never saying it was in active production since 99.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
What makes you think that?

I just can't imagine there's much hype for it. I think people will be interested in it perhaps more than other blockbusters, but there's simply no way it's some mega event just because the first one was. Avatar was the right confluence of factors at the right time. Now, over a decade later?

Avatar's target audience was like age 13-25. It blew up beyond that, but it had to succeed there first. The people in that age range today have probably never even seen Avatar. You think they're going to be excited for Avatar 2? Not more than anything else. And I don't see older millennials that don't see nearly as many movies coming out to see the decade late sequel to a good movie they barely remember.

I think Avatar 2 has no chance at a billion. The sky high limit is probably $500m. I'd say it does well at $300m. Those numbers would be, to some, a "bomb."

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Yes.

Sci-fi movies outside of an established universe are normally huge flops. Avatar is not an established universe.
Why not? These are sequels we are talking about, right? There's an existing film and a popular theme park attraction?

Avatar was basically China's Star Wars. Saying that the "sky high limit" is half a bill internationally for the sequel is absurd.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
What makes you think it will? I can't imagine a scenario where it bombs?

I just can't imagine there's much hype for it. I think people will be interested in it perhaps more than other blockbusters, but there's simply no way it's some mega event just because the first one was. Avatar was the right confluence of factors at the right time. Now, over a decade later?

Avatar's target audience was like age 13-25. It blew up beyond that, but it had to succeed there first. The people in that age range today have probably never even seen Avatar. You think they're going to be excited for Avatar 2? Not more than anything else. And I don't see older millennials that don't see nearly as many movies coming out to see the decade late sequel to a good movie they barely remember.

I think Avatar 2 has no chance at a billion. The sky high limit is probably $500m. I'd say it does well at $300m. Those numbers would be, to some, a "bomb."
Disney opened up a land based on Pandora in 2017 at Disney World and it's still insanely popular. Tons of guests buying Navi themed t-shirts and stuff. There's still a strong demand for the franchise. Even kids who probably have never seen the film love the setting.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Avatar's target audience was like age 13-25. It blew up beyond that, but it had to succeed there first.
This is incorrect. The project was known forever prior to production as Project 880 because its target audience was those aged 8 - 80.

And those who think Avatar 2 is going to bomb have my sympathies. Denial is a powerful thing.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Sci-fi movies outside of an established universe are normally huge flops. Avatar is not an established universe.
How is Avatar not an established universe? The film coming out is a sequel to the original. What the hell are you talking about?

And you think it will bomb internationally? The sequel to Avatar - the film that literally opened up China as a major box office market, will bomb internationally?

And you mentioned earlier that the first film's success was purely based on the right confluence of circumstances at the right time. What circumstances were they - considering it also became the highest grossing 2d home release until 2015 when it was topped by Frozen. In case 3D was the thing you were going to pin it on.

Avatar made what it did do to insane Word of Mouth and repeated viewings based on the film itself.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

300M? Come on…

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Geez this is a depressing list for me; almost entirely sequels. I just feel like pop culture is going to eat itself at this rate.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If Indy and Rogue Squadron make it to 2023 I'll be happily surprised.

I think Indy just wrapped but it's been delayed so often I don't trust it.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
How is Avatar not an established universe? The film coming out is a sequel to the original. What the hell are you talking about?

And you think it will bomb internationally? The sequel to Avatar - the film that literally opened up China as a major box office market, will bomb internationally?

And you mentioned earlier that the first film's success was purely based on the right confluence of circumstances at the right time. What circumstances were they - considering it also became the highest grossing 2d home release until 2015 when it was topped by Frozen. In case 3D was the thing you were going to pin it on.

Avatar made what it did do to insane Word of Mouth and repeated viewings based on the film itself.

It being a sequel makes it a franchise, not an established franchise. It's a one-off film so far that's over a decade old. And it's attached to a small part of a theme park. It's not a franchise that has established its profitability long term like Star Wars or Star Trek. It's still a fledgling franchise.

The Chinese box office is way different than it was back then. We have no idea how China will respond to the movie, either it's people or the government.

It was heralded as a technological marvel and people could actually see that the tech was new age. The story was good. It was fun. It's hard to say exactly why it took off — if it were so easy, that magic could be replicated.

You're right about it doing well due to insane word of mouth and repeat viewings. Why would you assume that will happen again?

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
It being a sequel makes it a franchise, not an established franchise. It's a one-off film so far that's over a decade old. And it's attached to a small part of a theme park. It's not a franchise that has established its profitability long term like Star Wars or Star Trek. It's still a fledgling franchise.

The Chinese box office is way different than it was back then. We have no idea how China will respond to the movie, either it's people or the government.

It was heralded as a technological marvel and people could actually see that the tech was new age. The story was good. It was fun. It's hard to say exactly why it took off — if it were so easy, that magic could be replicated.

You're right about it doing well due to insane word of mouth and repeat viewings. Why would you assume that will happen again?
You didn't say established franchise. You said established universe. Which is why everybody was so confused.

The Chinese box office was indeed way different back then. It was about one eighth the size of what it is today. And the original film was pulled from Chinese theatres and replaced with CCP-approved Confucius film before audience demand brought it back. Chinese audiences were and still are obsessed with Avatar. The limited re-release that wasn't even advertised (as it wasn't even a real re-release, but more part of a slew of films China's theatre chains utilised to entice audience back into theatres post-covid) and was only announced a few days prior to release made $55m+.

You explaining that the circumstances that created the perfect storm of events that led to its success were that it was heralded as a technological marvel and had a good story. Those aren't circumstances that the film benefited from. Those are benefits of the film's own making. Those are the things that caused the insane word of mouth. This also answers your last question. Why would we assume the sequel would also be a good movie that happens to be a technological marvel?

Because that is - historically speaking, the exact kind of film James Cameron makes.

Sometimes it's okay to just kind of admit you're not sure what you're talking about.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
You didn't say established franchise. You said established universe. Which is why everybody was so confused.

The Chinese box office was indeed way different back then. It was about one eighth the size of what it is today. And the original film was pulled from Chinese theatres and replaced with CCP-approved Confucius film before audience demand brought it back. Chinese audiences were and still are obsessed with Avatar. The limited re-release that wasn't even advertised (as it wasn't even a real re-release, but more part of a slew of films China's theatre chains utilised to entice audience back into theatres post-covid) and was only announced a few days prior to release made $55m+.

You explaining that the circumstances that created the perfect storm of events that led to its success were that it was heralded as a technological marvel and had a good story. Those aren't circumstances that the film benefited from. Those are benefits of the film's own making. Those are the things that caused the insane word of mouth. This also answers your last question. Why would we assume the sequel would also be a good movie that happens to be a technological marvel?

Because that is - historically speaking, the exact kind of film James Cameron makes.

Sometimes it's okay to just kind of admit you're not sure what you're talking about.

I see we've moved on to being disrespectful. What a disappointment.