• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I mean that's only $10 a month for prime video and everything else is free. Or $10 a month for free shipping and prime video is free, etc. It's a great deal still.

Lol, it's definitely the second one. I wouldn't pay $1 a month for Prime video. I wish they would separate it out and charge me less as all I really want is the shipping, but that's exactly why they won't. I guarantee I'm not alone.

As for Walmart, I assume this might be a draw for rural customers who don't have Instacart or any other alternative. 🤷‍♂️

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
as i already pointed out, this entire thread is ignoring rural america and it's sad. it's turning into a walmart bashing thread instead of attempting to critically think about who this helps.

the family in Middletown, OH is not getting their groceries from AmazonFresh but instead are driving 30 minutes to a walmart and spending $200. where can country folk order 3 tomatoes, some underwear, and 3 gallons of milk on Amazon?

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I feel this is like Blockbuster trying years too late to compete with Netflix and not getting at all why Netflix works.
Honestly, this is somewhat accurate. I don't think Walmart is in nearly the dire straights that Blockbuster was back in the day, but they continue to miss the point on how to compete with Amazon. It's all about FBA, and the fast/free access to millions of products that provides. And until Walmart wants to get into the warehousing business, they will continue to struggle in Amazon's shadow.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to be able to skip the cashier and just scan everything with my phone and go. I can do that now at Wegmans, just scan my items, scan the phone at the pay station, pay and go. I wouldn't pay a yearly fee to be able to do that, so I'll stick with Prime.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
as i already pointed out, this entire thread is ignoring rural america and it's sad. it's turning into a walmart bashing thread instead of attempting to critically think about who this helps.

the family in Middletown, OH is not getting their groceries from AmazonFresh but instead are driving 30 minutes to a walmart and spending $200. where can country folk order 3 tomatoes, some underwear, and 3 gallons of milk on Amazon?
Do you think their stores in rural America are going to do same-day delivery regularly as well? They'll need some sort of distribution center to make it feasible in most cases. Most of these people will still have some sort of delay. Amazon has Amazon Pantry as well which offers grocery delivery in 2 days for free if you're a Prime member.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
This is the worst bargain in history. Many gas station rewards programs already offer well over 5 cents off, for free. No free shipping, no Netflix supplement, no other value adds. What in the flying fuck are Walmart smoking? They're literally expecting people to pay them $100/yr for nothing. This is such an astonishingly stupid proposition, all the people responsible deserve to be fired over it. These people are brain dead.

Come'on man, Walmart ain't paying people to do hour+ round trip deliveries for 3 tomatoes and underwear. They ain't doing it for any size order an unlimited number of times for $10/mo, that's a black hole of losses. They also have to pay an employee to do the shopping.

Last edited:

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Ultimately Walmart want to add a Prime Video style element to this membership scheme just like Amazon did which would offer original film and TV series along with some library titles from other studios. They've been talking with various producers and studios for months and months believing that they can access a whole new streaming market that no one else has. Who that market is I have no idea.

Or at least that was their place pre lockdown.

I know that they sold Vudu but Walmart wants to become a competitor in the streaming space, as evidenced by the slightly baffling reports that they might be interested in bidding for Tik Tok with Mircosoft. All very curious.

Amazon had the luxury of being first with this kind of service so they had the luxury of continuing to improve the value of that service piecemeal. Add better video streaming over time. Add unlimited photo cloud later. Add music streaming and audiobook limited selection. Add limited kindle books included in service.

Walmart has the unfortunate duty of trying to make a competing service as enticing. They also don't have the luxury of AWS income. They also don't want to canabalize on in-person shoppers to the detriment of their retail stores. It's a tough road.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I'll never shop at Walmart for any price unless my life depends on it. Definitely not signing up for a subscription service lol

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
LOL oh come on Walmart, you guys are going to fumble this one, just like your Amazon competitor, Jet.com, remember that multi-billion dollar flop? I do. You can't "Walmart" Amazon, because Amazon is playing Walmart's game, but better.

Let's see, Walmart's fuel is straight trash (here it is heavily mixed with ethanol), Amazon Prime means I can order a part for as cheap as possible and get free shipping (not $35 Walmart). Amazon has a much larger selection of items I can choose from.

All in all they are both very anti-competive, so screw them both, but it's always funny when Walmart tried to innovate and compete.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Don't they already offer free shipping on orders over $50? What are you even getting from this? Sounds completely useless

Phineous_2

Oct 29, 2017
Do you think their stores in rural America are going to do same-day delivery regularly as well? They'll need some sort of distribution center to make it feasible in most cases. Most of these people will still have some sort of delay. Amazon has Amazon Pantry as well which offers grocery delivery in 2 days for free if you're a Prime member.
The way grocery delivery works here (not rural at all) is that you order your groceries today, pick a delivery time tomorrow, doordash delivers your stuff at your chosen time. I'm sure they could do this for most items in-store, not just groceries.

They offer same day delivery for an upcharge. Would that not work in rural areas?

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The way grocery delivery works here (not rural at all) is that you order your groceries today, pick a delivery time tomorrow, doordash delivers your stuff at your chosen time. I'm sure they could do this for most items in-store, not just groceries.

They offer same day delivery for an upcharge. Would that not work in rural areas?
Presumably there are not a lot of Door Dash drivers in very rural areas so I don't think they could definitively have worry-free same-day delivery very easily in these cases. If it's a day later, it's not that much of a better option than the litany of grocery options Amazon Prime has in place already.

HEB bought Favor here in Austin to have their own equivalent service to Door Dash which was smart of them.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Most retailers already have free shipping at $35, and most gas stations already have ~$.05/g off if you join their **free** loyalty programs.
Their plan of charging $100 for what everyone else gives away can't possibly backfire.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
dang what a huge disappointment. gas discount is nothing. no other meaningful discounts.

Phineous_2

Oct 29, 2017
Presumably there are not a lot of Door Dash drivers in very rural areas so I don't think they could definitively have worry-free same-day delivery very easily in these cases. If it's a day later, it's not that much of a better option than the litany of grocery options Amazon Prime has in place already.

HEB bought Favor here in Austin to have their own equivalent service to Door Dash which was smart of them.
The bolded might hurt this badly, cause I'm pretty sure they expect this stuff to 'ship' via that kind of delivery, and not the post office or how Amazon handles it.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart sold VUDU to Fandango
I think that would have really added the icing to the cake on this deal as this doesn't seem like a great deal that has a "too good to pass up" kind of feeling to it. At least with Amazon Prime, you get the free shipping, 2 days in most cases. Prime Music and Prime video, Prime Reading, Prime Photos, whole foods in-store discounts, etc. I'm sure I am missing some. I think it's going to be a hard switch, especially people who have bought into their Amazon ecosystem.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Well they are losing their touch if they think that's going to move the needle towards them any.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
i've been wondering about walmart recently.. i've been ordering games/blu rays from them and getting free shipping.. not only that but my stuff is being shipped fedex/ups, not via regular post. is that over now?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The only waiting in line I've ever done in Wal-Mart is because they only have one of their 85 registers open.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had trouble finding what you get from the service so it seems like potential same day delivery but still have 35 minimum. I've been buying a lot from Walmart online lately and it gets here by third day with free shipping after 35. The wait isn't bad since I overstock to get shit above 35 anyways. 5 cents off gas isn't much of a perk, I got a free shell card that gets me that much at shell.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
If someone is going to be a serious competitor to Amazon it's not going to be Walmart.

They just don't get it

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
no walmart prime video?
images

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
"No checkout lines" sounds intriguing, but there's no further detail. I do get groceries at Wal-mart. If that means I can use an app to scan as I shop and then just leave, that would be cool.

On the other hand, my Wal-mart has a person checking receipts at the door. You just know that person will have no idea what Wal-mart+ is, and is not going to let me just roll on out with a wave of my phone. Probably take longer to explain what's going on, get the manager over, and prove that I paid than it would to check out.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I don't necessarily trust Wal-Mart's ability to execute, but you people acting like this couldn't be a great value for people in underserved, less dense communities are weird.

This could be an interesting bridge to establishing a delivery service. I'd kill to see what research and service design they actually did for this; wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't much tho.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Considering it for the free grocery delivery as they have by far the best and most complete system in that regard.

Not sure if I need one more excuse not to go outside though.