• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
mcHkaP9.gif

THATS RIGHT

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
the weirdest thing i also noticed about america, is that you get celebrities to sing national anthem at events

no one else does that. the national anthem in other countries is rarely sung, and when it is, it's the *people* that do it

always found that odd

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
evergreen:

lmw7lcB.jpg

They spontaneously started to sing the national anthem in the Walmart checkout line in front of mountain dew baja blast.
The only thing that could make it more American is if a Ford f-150 was doing donuts in the parking lot.

ty for this. Literally spit out my drink.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
if that was the worst thing about many of these people we'd be in good shape. But it isn't. Not even close.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, the context of the USA is a bit worse

what fucking context exists when it is used in a soccer match?

How America is a world leader baffles me to this day.

I guess because the stupidity is balanced out by an equal if not more number of smart people. So you get people in a TX walmart doing random shit while some of the smartest people in the world working at the Space center in Houston

The US also does a great job still attracting some of the smartest people in the world. Maybe there is something to that.

Last edited:

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So is this why we were forced to sing that shit every morning throughout grade school?

🤢🤢🤢

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wish somebody had an air horn just blowing it as they walked past all those zombies.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Of course they don't legally have to but they are shamed if they don't.

especially if you're an immigrant kid lol

Really? Was it before 1943 because if not, that's illegal.

yeah it's not like we knew that at the time. got shamed and pressured by a racist school staff.

this was the same school where i got called a terrorist by a substitute teacher like a month after 9/11 and nothing was done when i complained

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what this thread is about anymore (patriotism? chanting?).

Anyway, it's cool to root for your favorite team at a sporting event as long as you're not being outright disrespectful to the other team (like shouting curses or offensive words).

I don't think soccer is that big in America so when it comes to rowdy crowds, I think we're off the hook there.

I used to sing the star-spangled banner in my chorus. It's lovely in four part harmony but I wouldn't start singing it like a dork in Wal-Mart.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

yeah it's not like we knew that at the time. got shamed and pressured by a racist school staff.

this was the same school where i got called a terrorist by a substitute teacher like a month after 9/11 and nothing was done when i complained

I'm sorry that happened to you. That's BS.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Really? Was it before 1943 because if not, that's illegal.

I mean it can be illegal and the school can still do it. Is a student gonna sue the school because they got detention?

That's terrible, friend. I'm sorry that happened to you.

I saw many students get shamed for not standing or reciting the pledge of alliance. Indoctrination is powerful.

Icebergslim

Feb 19, 2021
Eddie Murphy was right all those years ago when he said White people act different when there are no Black folks around. Now we got receipts!

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
It's not all that uncommon for it to happen. There's not much remedy for it if all you're getting is shamed and sent to the principal's office/detention.

I hear ya and that's BS too.

In my grade school there was a kid who didn't say the pledge because of his religion. No one cared then. He also couldn't celebrate holidays and birthdays.

Oct 27, 2017
what fucking context exists when it is used in a soccer match?

I guess because the stupidity is balanced out by an equal if not more number of smart people. So you get people in a TX walmart doing random shit while some of the smartest people in the world working at the Space center in Houston

The US also does a great job still attracting some of the smartest people in the world. Maybe there is something to that.

Also, People can be smart and competent at their jobs and areas of expertise, but can barely function in the real world outside of that, and lack common sense in a lot of situations.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I was at the Red Sox game last Tues night. There was a navy cadet that did the anthem, (amazing voice, btw) Ended with 4 f-18's flying over Fenway in formation. The crowd exploded in cheers/applause after. Looking around where I sat, it wasn't Hicksville NASCAR boys everywhere, mostly younger folk/families. And we're in Boston, generally considered to be a fairly liberal area. Fenway and surrounding area had huge BLM banners everywhere, for example.

Not sure what this tells us. People in general like to be part of something. Something bigger. Whether its ok to feel that way after analysis, knowing what we know, etc didn't seem to matter in the moment. Just 30k + folks listening to an otherwise nice song, while waiting to watch the ballgame on a nice summer day after a year + in solitude. Indoctrinated sheep? Or normal folk, happy to get back to normal, cheering/singing along to a song that we all know? Kinda similar to this walmart story, imo.

Cause jet planes are cool. Not a big mystery. Why would you believe liberals or folks from Mass not cheer at them? That's such a weird take.

Some of you Americans that have become dull to the nationalistic indoctrination don't understand why people from other countries are disturbed by this shit.

I doubt you will see this level of nationalism anywhere else in the world today. Many in the thread aren't used to it and to a lot of posters it is bizarre and disturbing behavior.

The US does have a huge nationalistic streak - and gets dumb asses voted in and then free tickets to be shit heads. However, it's not the most nationalistic. I'd give that to China right now - did you the Centennial party speech - that was straight up scary shit. If not, you should. Kind of puts weird rednecks singing at a Walmart into perspective.

Personally, I'd love to see the Olympics, international soccer, etc become outlawed too .. but people are always tribal, and yes, tribalism is scary. So are humans - we're fucking terrible and it's never been "good" and it really never will be. Though I share an optimism it may - just not in life time. Perhaps another world war will sort that out.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
the weirdest thing i also noticed about america, is that you get celebrities to sing national anthem at events

no one else does that. the national anthem in other countries is rarely sung, and when it is, it's the *people* that do it

always found that odd
Ye olde' propaganda.

A lot of the weird nationalistic shit we do in America started relatively recently though playing the anthem at baseball games specifically was a form of propaganda started during World War I and hit in full force around World War II.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
not sure why but the only thing i could think of is some kind of flashmob starting to sing the evangelion theme song in a supermarket

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
This would make me never want to step foot in a Walmart ever again…but their Rollback sales are too fire so go off bestie 🤪