• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Can't argue with number one.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing this is about cost of living etc. OKC is a trash heap and its politics are equally trash. But yes you can get a good deal on a pair of pants compared to NYC.

Edit yeah OKC shouldnt be here: " 3) Quality of Education & Health and 4) Quality of Life. "

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Lincoln is sickeningly affordable and it's also pretty easy to get to Omaha/Kansas City in a pinch. Great town too.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
No way would I put Atlanta nor OKC on that list especially if education and quality of life are factors.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Atlanta was improving a lot over the past few years? Aren't they getting a train or something?

First I've heard of it if that's true. They can't even get the old, rich white people in Cobb and Gwinnett to approve MARTA lines to come through there.

Atlanta is a cultural powerhouse and economically relevant, though.

True, but it can be stressful as fuck to live there with the traffic and rising cost of living. And unless things really improved since I moved 4 years ago, Atlanta's K-12 schools were pretty terrible.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe everything else around it is just making it look better?

I'm not sure about top 10, but I loved living in Bricktown. If it were in a less backwards state, I probably would've stayed there.
Maybe so. The only thing I can agree with on the list is affordability, though. Everything else is just...

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Lincoln is sickeningly affordable and it's also pretty easy to get to Omaha/Kansas City in a pinch. Great town too.

My wife was born in Lincoln and grew up in Omaha, but she's never said a nice thing about Lincoln. I thought it was pretty cool from the time I've spent there over the years but she always just shits all over it. Go figure.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I was just in Madison last week. It was cool.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised with any of Sacramento's rankings aside from the affordability one.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Raleigh is a pretty awesome city. It's affordable and has awesome stuff happening around it all the time, especially being in the center of the Research Triangle. Cary, NC is a suburb of Raleigh that is equally as awesome.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Why tf is Montpelier ranked number 1 for quality of health and education, it's a tiny town with fewer than 7500 residents and not near any major universities? And why is Juneau not ranked last, it doesn't even have any roads that lead out of the town. Once you're there you're pretty much stuck there.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Why tf is Montpelier ranked number 1 for quality of health and education, it's a tiny town with fewer than 7500 residents and not near any major universities? And why is Juneau not ranked last, it doesn't even have any roads that lead out of the town. Once you're there you're pretty much stuck there.

You couldn't pay me to live in Montpelier. Besides, you're a flatlander anyway, so it's not like you'll ever truly be part of the city.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
#8... noice.

It's not so bad here. I'm surprised it's listed as having one of the highest rates of crime. Doesn't seem right.

Mar 3, 2019
Nebraska does not deserve this over the twin cities in minnesota. Lincoln is fine, but it is stuck in the middle of nowhere aka nebraska

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, being in OKC I wouldn't rate it in the top 10.

It's fine (the sprawl is too much IMO), but not top 10.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin being above Madison makes since given that all of my friends in Madison moved to Austin and have pledged never to come back. Though as always Madison is at least 10 spots too high

I don't understand how St. Paul is as low as it is. It's basically a slightly worse Madison with another, better, city right next to it.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Woo hoo top 10! Feels good to have finally moved to a city/state that makes good top ten lists instead of top tens for stuff like "least pedestrian friendly places in the US" or "top ten places with lowest qol" or "top ten worst education systems."

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's important to post the methodology:

49 key indicators of affordability, economic well-being, quality of education and health, and quality of life. Our data set ranges from cost of living to K–12 school-system quality to number of attractions.

This is why places like Concord, NH, a sleepy, boring, empty city that most people associate with the opioid epidemic more so than anything else, can be in the top 10. Concord is a pretty little town in New Hampshire with absolutely nothing to do, but it's relative proximity to Boston (1 hour w/o traffic) puts it within the "metro" area in terms of job opportunities for those willing to commute, while it has very cheap real estate, an overwhelming homogeneous demography (seriously like 90% white, 5% Asian, 2% black), decent education, very low poverty rate, so it ranks highly because there's almost no lower poverty immigration to a "city" like Concord. But nobody wants to live in Concord New Hampshire. Almost nobody would willingly choose Concord over Boston metro area, which is why Concord has a population of 40,000 people, while Boston has a population of 700,000. A very small number of people might want to live around Concord because you can buy a 2500sq foot house with an acre of land for like $200,000 and still be about an hour's drive from Boston, but if you take "Boston" away from Concord there's literally nothing there in terms of opportunity. On the flipside, if Concord disappeared tomorrow, virtually nobody would notice. Concord has a quaint New England main street... Like if you wanted to step back in time, walk down Concord's main street once, it's nice with some shops and a farmer's market during the summer, and nothing else.

Concord is the 62nd largest city in New England. Sandwiched between bustling metropolises like ... Torrington Connecticut and Pittsfield Massachusetts.

The way these lists are created makes no sense to people who actually live there or might consider moving there. Concord New Hampshire is #9 ... Boston Mass is #18 ... Providence RI is #42 ... Hartford CT is #46. It makes zero sense that Providence and Hartford would be in the bottom 10, while Concord, barely an hour from both, is in the top 10, and Boston is peeking around the middle. It's just nonsensical. It's the only type of aberrative results you can get by basing everything off of bizarre statistical categories and trying to find some strange average of them all. Like, I make fun of Hartford all the time because it's just a shitty state capitol, but there's not a chance in hell I'd ever move to Concord New Hampshire over Hartford. Like Hartford and Providence actually have night life and a downtown, Hartford actually has things to do, both of them actually have jobs within the city limits... There's long standing poverty in both of those places, but if you're a middle class person, it's not like you're going to suddenly be rescued from poverty if you moved to Concord and you're going to be plunged down into poverty if you move to Providence or Hartford.

Similarly, nobody is moving to Montpelier VT (#15), unless you have a real hankering to work in the cheese industry. But, god forbid you have skills that don't involve curdling cheese or making ice cream.

Last edited: