• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found the one I was looking for but there's no sticker or sign that shows it's $50. It'll just ring up that way?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
How easy to to stick a spare Raspberry pi in one? Also how to rip the rom?

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went to the store they said had one and nothing. The guy went to look in the back and everything. I blame god for this.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I upgraded my Final Fight unit with a kit I bought from arcademodup.com. They sell a complete kit that adds a lighted marque, new control deck (I got the one for 2 players and 6 buttons (lighted) for each player, Stereo Speakers, Amplifier, Rasberry PI and all the other things to make the mod work. It took about an hour or so to install, but damn is it impressive. Was a bit pricey, but getting everything in one package and the install was so easy that it was worth the money. Wife has been loving playing some of the arcade classics such as Pac-Man, Ms-Pac Man, Dig Dug and hundreds of others. Well worth the investment.

OP
OP
BFIB

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I upgraded my Final Fight unit with a kit I bought from arcademodup.com. They sell a complete kit that adds a lighted marque, new control deck (I got the one for 2 players and 6 buttons (lighted) for each player, Stereo Speakers, Amplifier, Rasberry PI and all the other things to make the mod work. It took about an hour or so to install, but damn is it impressive. Was a bit pricey, but getting everything in one package and the install was so easy that it was worth the money. Wife has been loving playing some of the arcade classics such as Pac-Man, Ms-Pac Man, Dig Dug and hundreds of others. Well worth the investment.
That's awesome. Modding one makes a world of difference. My modded SF2 gets played on daily.

Mind showing some pics of the finished mod?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
That's awesome. Modding one makes a world of difference. My modded SF2 gets played on daily.

Mind showing some pics of the finished mod?
Sure thing. I will post some tomorrow. I still need to put the back on the unit and clean up the wiring and I need to buy a power strip since I now need more than one outlet due to the amp needing power, the PI and the unit it self.

I never thought about the modding until reading your posts so did some research and found that web-site where they sold a complete mod package to make it simple. Still in shock of how many games and how good they look.

OP
OP
BFIB

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Sure thing. I will post some tomorrow. I still need to put the back on the unit and clean up the wiring and I need to buy a power strip since I now need more than one outlet due to the amp needing power, the PI and the unit it self.

I never thought about the modding until reading your posts so did some research and found that web-site where they sold a complete mod package to make it simple. Still in shock of how many games and how good they look.

Yeah, I get that they're smaller units, but I just don't have the room for the full size cabs. These are the perfect fit, and modding it is so easy to do. I feel like I need to charge $10 for an hour of play and some pizza rolls.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I get that they're smaller units, but I just don't have the room for the full size cabs. These are the perfect fit, and modding it is so easy to do. I feel like I need to charge $10 for an hour of play and some pizza rolls.
I like that they are smaller because it makes it easy to move around. I am thinking about getting a riser, but still debating that.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
This is the closest place to post this, but man....

So because I was unlucky with Walmart, guy on Facebook was selling still sealed boxes of a few because he didn't realize they were duplicates, but he got his before the giant clearance so he wasn't a scalper (he had a few set up at his place). I got a Final Fight one & my friend finally got his Rampage one ever since I told him about Walmart clearancing them, he was so damn happy. Paid $300 for both of them.

....so I get home, turns out his Rampage monitor has a big glitchy line running down the center while my Final Fight one won't even work. Tried a different adaptor, checked the ribbon cable connection, nothing. We're both so disappointed we finally found these for decent prices (the Rampage one goes for like $600 now wtf), and it turns out both have monitor problems.

How in the world did the both of us end up with defective machines? Doesn't help we can't exactly contact Arcade1up as we don't have a receipt & a replacement monitor is a whopping $160. And I'm hearing a bunch of these series one machines had a bunch of issues. Gonna get in contact with the seller since he has a spare Final Fight machine, but it feels like my friend & I have had the worst luck with Arcade1Up ever since I heard of the clearance last month.

OP
OP
BFIB

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017

So because I was unlucky with Walmart, guy on Facebook was selling still sealed boxes of a few because he didn't realize they were duplicates, but he got his before the giant clearance so he wasn't a scalper (he had a few set up at his place). I got a Final Fight one & my friend finally got his Rampage one ever since I told him about Walmart clearancing them, he was so damn happy. Paid $300 for both of them.

....so I get home, turns out his Rampage monitor has a big glitchy line running down the center while my Final Fight one won't even work. Tried a different adaptor, checked the ribbon cable connection, nothing. We're both so disappointed we finally found these for decent prices (the Rampage one goes for like $600 now wtf), and it turns out both have monitor problems.

How in the world did the both of us end up with defective machines? Doesn't help we can't exactly contact Arcade1up as we don't have a receipt & a replacement monitor is a whopping $160. And I'm hearing a bunch of these series one machines had a bunch of issues. Gonna get in contact with the seller since he has a spare Final Fight machine, but it feels like my friend & I have had the worst luck with Arcade1Up ever since I heard of the clearance last month.

Did Arcade1Up require the receipt? You should be able to record the issue, you'll need to take a picture of the manufacturer date on the box it came in and I believe they'll replace.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

That's a bummer. I'd still get in contact with Arcade1Up and see if they are willing to do anything. It can't hurt... I'm curious what kinds of issues you are hearing these machines have? I have a Final Fight unit and a Street Fighter unit. My FF unit's screen is noticeably darker than my SF unit. The colors look fine, but they are next to each other and it's night and day comparing the two. I've always wondered if something was off with the Final Fight screen.

OP
OP
BFIB

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
That's a bummer. I'd still get in contact with Arcade1Up and see if they are willing to do anything. It can't hurt... I'm curious what kinds of issues you are hearing these machines have? I have a Final Fight unit and a Street Fighter unit. My FF unit's screen is noticeably darker than my SF unit. The colors look fine, but they are next to each other and it's night and day comparing the two. I've always wondered if something was off with the Final Fight screen.
Gen 1 cabs quality control seems to be all over the place. My SF2 screen looks great, a friend of mine has the SF2 as well and his screen is noticably darker.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Gen 1 cabs quality control seems to be all over the place. My SF2 screen looks great, a friend of mine has the SF2 as well and his screen is noticeably darker.

Yeah, I had read or saw on youtube (can't remember) that people complained about the brightness of the screens and the loudness of the sound on the very first machines and that Arcade1Up made adjustments. Final Fight is like a Gen 1.5 cab, so I've just assumed the darker screen is due to the tweaks they made. My FF unit is also WAY quieter than my SF unit. In the end, it's not a huge deal, but I'm a bit anal at times and would prefer they were both the same. It doesn't help they are right next to each other.

More on topic, I would love to pick up the MK, TMNT, Golden Tee, and Marvel units. I don't have room for them right now, but if I find them for a good price I will definitely buy them and keep in storage for down the road. These units aren't perfect, but overall I really like them.

OP
OP
BFIB

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I had read or saw on youtube (can't remember) that people complained about the brightness of the screens and the loudness of the sound on the very first machines and that Arcade1Up made adjustments. Final Fight is like a Gen 1.5 cab, so I've just assumed the darker screen is due to the tweaks they made. My FF unit is also WAY quieter than my SF unit. In the end, it's not a huge deal, but I'm a bit anal at times and would prefer they were both the same. It doesn't help they are right next to each other.

More on topic, I would love to pick up the MK, TMNT, Golden Tee, and Marvel units. I don't have room for them right now, but if I find them for a good price I will definitely buy them and keep in storage for down the road. These units aren't perfect, but overall I really like them.

If you only have room for one, I'd go Golden Tee, it's a great cab, and the trackball has excellent quality.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Did Arcade1Up require the receipt? You should be able to record the issue, you'll need to take a picture of the manufacturer date on the box it came in and I believe they'll replace.
You need proof of purchase & it has to be within 90 days. I have no idea if the seller even has the receipt anymore, nor has he contacted me yet despite the fact he's seen my message asking for a refund that would at least be enough to order a replacement screen since everything else is fine.

At the very least, the series 2 & beyond seem to be much better from what I've been hearing. I just really hope I didn't waste $300 to find out we have to spend another $160 for a new monitor.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Tried to get one local walmart is out despite brick seek saying in stock oh well.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

You may want to try looking on eBay for a cheaper replacement monitor. While sold out, I saw this listing which was way less:

www.ebay.com

Unbranded 2018 Collectible Video Arcade Machines for sale | eBay

Get the best deals on Unbranded 2018 Collectible Video Arcade Machines when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices.

Also the monitor model number seems to be M170ETN01.1 so maybe searching for that will help you find a cheaper replacement alternative source.

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having an issue with my Rampage cabinet and didn't think I should create a new thread for such a niche issue.

I bought my cabinet at a Walmart while out of state on a business trip. I brought it home days later and put it together. One of the joysticks didn't work—specifically, the third player joystick. Contacted support. After sending some video evidence, they said they'd send a replacement joystick.

Two months later, the replacement comes. It's also broken. After sending more evidence (and after plugging one of the working joysticks into the third player slot to make sure it was the joystick that was broken and not the board), they say they'll send another joystick. That was six weeks ago.

New joystick came today. It's the wrong fucking joystick. It doesn't fit.

rUWesVY_d.webp

The one on the right is the old one. See how it has one set of wires coming out of it and running into the little white plug thingy? The new one on the left has two white plug thingys, both of which are too small and don't fit my Rampage board.

Looking at the Arcade1up website shows that they sent me the joystick you can find under the header for Rampage replacement joysticks. However, this is a recent change, as I remember pricing replacements back in the day (before I knew whether the company would send me a replacement for the broken one), and it looked like the broken ones I have. So somewhere along the way, they either fucked up which joysticks they think go to Rampage or they altered later Rampage boards.

So I wrote them again and am waiting to hear back. I was probably ruder than I should have been, and may not hear anything back as a result. But I'm so sick of this shit.

It's been nearly five months that this machine has been taking up space in my basement. I can't play a three player game with my young kids (the whole reason I bought the damn thing). I can't return it (the warranty ran out long before they sent out my second replacement joystick, and I live too far from the Walmart I bought it from). I can't even order a proper replacement because the joystick they show on their site that is a replacement for Rampage joysticks is the wrong type.

So I'm stuck.

Does anyone have any advice? Maybe any ideas on where I can buy an after-market joystick that'll fit and work? Preferably one that doesn't cost a fortune.

Either way, I'm so done with Arcade1Up.

OP
OP
BFIB

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Could you take the white plug off the old and wire it up on the new?

And your are right, they did release two versions of the Ramage cab.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, going by this page it looks like A1U switched to double 4-pin connectors at some point.
https://www.diyretroarcade.com/coll...sanwa-jlf-tp-8yt-5-pin-joystick-for-arcade1up

The good news is there are a fair number of sites selling replacement parts. I agree you shouldn't have to spend money to get it in working order, but at least the stick is probably going to be a decent quality upgrade.

Could you take the white plug off the old and wire it up on the new?

And your are right, they did release two versions of the Ramage cab.
It looks like what's happened on the double 4-pin connectors is they broke out each switch's ground to its own pin, so in theory he could combine them all into the ground from the old connector. But it'd take some quality time with a multi-meter to be sure which is which (I could guess, but don't want to be responsible for being wrong). The new stick looks like it's using standard switches, so typical arcade wiring guides should offer some hints.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
My issue is that I'm not all that savvy when it comes to electronics. I was fine building the cabinet and swapping out joysticks because it's all plug and play. I wouldn't even know where to begin with rewiring it...

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I was just about to ask which it is.

Wish me luck and thank you!
There's some comments that the plate holes don't necessarily line up, but you can either use the old plate (somehow) or just carefully drill new ones if there's a problem. I'd suggest drilling new holes, there's probably a large spring under a lot of tension somewhere in those things so I'd be reluctant to open it up.

There's other online shops that specialize in Arcade1up parts for modding, that's the one I've used for modding my Rampage cabinet. I just haven't tried a direct replacement stick since I'm going with a Rasbperry Pi and USB encoder. You should be fine though. Good luck!

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having an issue with my Rampage cabinet and didn't think I should create a new thread for such a niche issue.

I bought my cabinet at a Walmart while out of state on a business trip. I brought it home days later and put it together. One of the joysticks didn't work—specifically, the third player joystick. Contacted support. After sending some video evidence, they said they'd send a replacement joystick.

Two months later, the replacement comes. It's also broken. After sending more evidence (and after plugging one of the working joysticks into the third player slot to make sure it was the joystick that was broken and not the board), they say they'll send another joystick. That was six weeks ago.

New joystick came today. It's the wrong fucking joystick. It doesn't fit.

The one on the right is the old one. See how it has one set of wires coming out of it and running into the little white plug thingy? The new one on the left has two white plug thingys, both of which are too small and don't fit my Rampage board.

Looking at the Arcade1up website shows that they sent me the joystick you can find under the header for Rampage replacement joysticks. However, this is a recent change, as I remember pricing replacements back in the day (before I knew whether the company would send me a replacement for the broken one), and it looked like the broken ones I have. So somewhere along the way, they either fucked up which joysticks they think go to Rampage or they altered later Rampage boards.

So I wrote them again and am waiting to hear back. I was probably ruder than I should have been, and may not hear anything back as a result. But I'm so sick of this shit.

It's been nearly five months that this machine has been taking up space in my basement. I can't play a three player game with my young kids (the whole reason I bought the damn thing). I can't return it (the warranty ran out long before they sent out my second replacement joystick, and I live too far from the Walmart I bought it from). I can't even order a proper replacement because the joystick they show on their site that is a replacement for Rampage joysticks is the wrong type.

So I'm stuck.

Does anyone have any advice? Maybe any ideas on where I can buy an after-market joystick that'll fit and work? Preferably one that doesn't cost a fortune.

Either way, I'm so done with Arcade1Up.

not that it matters now, but for future reference you don't have to return a product to the same Walmart you bought it from. You can return it to any Walmart. Same kinda thing for other big retail stores like target, Best Buy, etc.

OP
OP
BFIB

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
A guy about an hour from me has the TMNT for $175. That's tempting, but I'm holding out for a good deal on NBA Jam.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got a TMNT from a lady on marketplace for $50 in pretty damn good condition, just missing the riser. I absolutely love this thing.

8cbfcbe0-696b-4eb5-ar4kbi.jpeg

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
So I checked brickseek after seeing this and it doesn't list my store at all for the Turtle machine. Strange because they had one 2 days ago and even if it was now out of stock shouldn't it show the store, but out of stock instead of the store not even being listed? Anyone know what that may mean?

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yo you stole that lol! Amazing. Want one of these bad boys but price and the fact I have absolutely no room for it means I haven't jumped in.

Yeah, it's got a minor cosmetic defect on the top right corner, and it's missing the riser, but I still feel like a criminal for what I paid.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
So how are the displays in these? CRT would be preferable but of course nobody makes those anymore. Curious how well the lcd panels compare to the original thing.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I really love the idea of arcade 1up cabs in theory, their lineup and the games they are licensing are a stunning accomplishment to say the least—but I just can't afford the space for any of them.