• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
Some Walmarts are late with discounts. My local one had none on sale this morning and now the Star Wars cabinet w/ star wars riser is on sale for $50. This maybe a rolling thing so keep a lookout.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
Star Wars is a $500 cabinet and they had it for $50??? Tell me you bought it.
I did! They actually had two in stock but I could only fit the one in my car and I'm not much of a reseller.

They had a full stock of almost every other cabinet too but not on sale yet. So I'll definitely be watching.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unbelievable. Showed up at Walmart at 7am and they weren't on sale. Got home from work and checked Brickseek to see they're in stock AND on sale.

Got back up to Walmart and the dude just told me I should've gotten there sooner, because they were on sale for $50 and are all gone.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I own the Street Fighter and Final Fight cabs. They are pretty cool and a decent size with the riser. The biggest draw for me is the authentic cab art. I don't have room for anymore of them (unfortunately), but I'd love to pick up the TMNT, MK, Capcom/Marvel, Golden Tee, and NBA Jam cabs. I would absolutely buy (and keep in box until I figure out the space situation) if I found any of them on sale for great price.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I just drove 45 minutes to a Walmart that listed them in stock and..... they did! They had 4 Street Fighter and a couple of Final Fight ones. I got the Street Fighter one because I'm going to throw my pi in it

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, nothing near me. Would definitely scoop up Street Fighter 2 or Pac Man for 50

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I have two of these, both are modded. My pac-man machine has a JAMMA board with 60 games (vertical), and my SF2 has a Pandora's box 6 in it. Super fun project, and they actually get used quite often.

Note that both of mine are on the risers to make them easier to play while standing.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who's modded is it too hard? I already have a PI. Do I just need the video converter and usb converter for the controls?

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Anyone who's modded is it too hard? I already have a PI. Do I just need the video converter and usb converter for the controls?
A Pi mod would not be hard IMO, as there are lots of tutorials on YouTube. If you are trying to do something more unique, it can be a little trickier.

I did the JAMMA one when these things were newer and there were no guides / videos, got stuck a few times but figured it out. I also ran into a snag following a Pi mod for the Pandora's box setup. I had to figure out a few things on my own there, but it was worth it.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
A Pi mod would not be hard IMO, as there are lots of tutorials on YouTube. If you are trying to do something more unique, it can be a little trickier.

I did the JAMMA one when these things were newer and there were no guides / videos, got stuck a few times but figured it out. I also ran into a snag following a Pi mod for the Pandora's box setup. I had to figure out a few things on my own there, but it was worth it.
Yeah, I'm just thinking the basic throw a pi in it one. I'll have to feel the buttons and all. Some say the street fighter ones are fine and some bitch. It's just a for fun thing so I may not even notice. I just know I have to convert the lcd to work with hdmi, buttons to go through USB and I guess audio out of a separate speaker

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally found a Golden Tee machine for $200, but it's like a 4 hour round trip. I don't know if I should risk the drive, or just hope that close-by stores start marking down their machines.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Yeah, I'm just thinking the basic throw a pi in it one. I'll have to feel the buttons and all. Some say the street fighter ones are fine and some bitch. It's just a for fun thing so I may not even notice. I just know I have to convert the lcd to work with hdmi, buttons to go through USB and I guess audio out of a separate speaker
You got it. I really didn't like the sticks / buttons, and ended up purchasing different buttons for both of my cabinets.

Couple other notes on the SF cabinet:
1) I went with backlit buttons, but I've heard that is more of a pain with a Pi compared to a Pandora's box.
2) I used the Arcade 1Up power/volume toggles as extra buttons so I didn't need to drill holes.
3) I used the Arcade 1Up speakers, rather than a separate set.

For the buttons / speaker I basically just stripped the wire and made it work. I've got to imagine more people are doing that now, so there are probably lots of videos showing how to make it go. I basically messed around with wires and clips until something worked, then made it "safe-ish" after figuring out how to make it work.

OP
OP
BFIB

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a Pi, here's what I bought to complete mine:

Joystick/buttons/USB encoder:

Amazon.com: EG STARTS 2 Player Arcade Games DIY Kit Parts 2 Ellipse Oval Joystick Handles + 20 LED lit Arcade Buttons (Red & Blue Kit): Toys & Games

Amazon.com: EG STARTS 2 Player Arcade Games DIY Kit Parts 2 Ellipse Oval Joystick Handles + 20 LED lit Arcade Buttons (Red & Blue Kit): Toys & Games

LCD converter kit:

Amazon.com: HDMI+VGA+DVI+Audio Input LCD Controller Board for HSD190MEN4 M170EN06 17" 19" 1280x1024 4CCFL 30Pins LCD Panel: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: HDMI+VGA+DVI+Audio Input LCD Controller Board for HSD190MEN4 M170EN06 17" 19" 1280x1024 4CCFL 30Pins LCD Panel: Computers & Accessories

Amp (I just use the speaker on the 1Up):

Follow this YouTube video and you'll be fine:

youtu.be

‪Arcade1UP Raspberry Pi Install Tutorial - RetroPie in an Arcade1UP

In this video, I show you how to mod an Arcade1up 3/4 scale cabinet to accommodate a raspberry pi running RetroPie, some call it a HACK I call it a MOD. Part...

If you need any help, hit me up!

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017

LCD converter kit:

youtu.be

In this video, I show you how to mod an Arcade1up 3/4 scale cabinet to accommodate a raspberry pi running RetroPie, some call it a HACK I call it a MOD. Part...

Did you drill holes for extra buttons or do something else?

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Some of these are really awesome but I think I'd rather make a project and build one myself. One day. . . . . . . .one day

I was really excited when these first came out, because they look soo awesome, but then i realize they are very tiny. I ended up building one and i love it, you should totally do it, it's worth it.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
got up early this morning a walmart had 3 of the final fight ones near me. Thought about it for a while and just did lawn work instead. where would I even put this fucking thing.

They're very small though. You could put it in your tiny bathroom.

Anyone have any luck on listings that say "Limited Stock"?

I once checked for a limited stock dual shock controller and while they had a ton of controllers of all colors piled into their cabinet, the guy took a look through the first couple colors and then sort of gave up, with a little insistence, he searched more, didn't find it.

Kroze

Oct 28, 2017
My south jersey stores are lagging behind sadly and the one that had the discount is all out of stock... I'd definitely go for a SF cab for $50

OP
OP
BFIB

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Thats the only part I'm worried about is cracking this cheap wood. I dont have a big bit for it either.
It really is easy. I measured 11 inches in from the left and right side, marked it. Bought a step bit (1 1/18) for 5.99 at Home Depot. I am by no means a Craftsman.

UBksNbW.jpg

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

LCD converter kit:

youtu.be

You don't need an amp by the way. There is an amplified 4 pin speaker out on the LCD board. You just need to buy the 4 pin connector and cut the speaker cables

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Since I didn't get this deal (and I'm still a little heated about that experience) I might as well mod my TMNT cab.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
but would that mean no volume control?
There is volume control on the LCD board and also on the retropie software itself. Even if you use an amp, you would have no way to access the volume controls on it once you close the back of the machine, unless you bought some kind of remote.

I actually soldered wires from the arcade buttons volume controls to the LCD board to control volume and it works perfectly, but you need to be able to solder.

ETAprime video is great for getting the basics, but it definitely leaves out a few more advanced things that you can do to make the arcade fully functional.

Any step bit off ebay or Amazon would work. It's not 6$ but something like this. The front cheap plywood is not that fragile. I wouldn't worry about breaking it. It would also be probably the easiest and cheapest thing to replace on these machines.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only $50 cabinet in my area is Final Fight. I don't really like the selection of games on that one, but I'd still like to pick one up just to give it a spin and see what it is like. How difficult is setup and assembly?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
The only $50 cabinet in my area is Final Fight. I don't really like the selection of games on that one, but I'd still like to pick one up just to give it a spin and see what it is like. How difficult is setup and assembly?
If you can build Ikea furniture you can build the arcade.

Modding isn't difficult either if you want to spend the time. Wish any of these cabs were in stock in SoCal

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can build Ikea furniture you can build the arcade.

Modding isn't difficult either if you want to spend the time. Wish any of these cabs were in stock in SoCal
Do these offer any of the conveniences of conventional emulation? Are there save states or rewind features? I wouldn't expect that, but can you at least toggle dipswitches to adjust difficulty and such?

Playing vanilla Ghosts N' Goblins would probably be a nightmare.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Damn it. There's a SFII machine 29 miles away from me but it's across county lines and we're in a pandemic. Just my luck.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Do these offer any of the conveniences of conventional emulation? Are there save states or rewind features? I wouldn't expect that, but can you at least toggle dipswitches to adjust difficulty and such?

Playing vanilla Ghosts N' Goblins would probably be a nightmare.
I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I modded mine as soon as I bought it. From what I've seen though, the stock emulation is pretty barebones. I don't think there are such features, but don't quote me on that.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I really want a couple of these for $50 but no stock near me.

I built my own pedestal that turned out really nice, but these things look really cool.. Especially the MK one!

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Forgive me if I'm understanding the site wrong, but I see Final Fight listed as 6+ inventory at a store not too far away on brickseek, but if I click the Walmart link it says zero? Is Walmarts own site just bogus and there actually are some in stock there? Thanks for anyone who knows more. It's about 46 miles away (I live in tiny country town, this WM is in slightly larger outer ring suburb place).