• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Long video but very well put.

But honestly, he's very to the point. The first two minutes are pretty good enough, but he builds his argument pretty devastatingly.

I also appreciate the great captions. They're also mega large. Video game devs, take note!

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This video isn't really for Republicans. It's essentially begging them to turn it off from minute one.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My 8-ball says that Hasan is going to tear this video apart today (if he hasn't already)

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
You can't throw this at people that already play the victim card

This is just ammo to them to reinforce the notion that liberal elitists just want to talk down to them

That said there are no fucking lies in that video and it is well said and well made.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
It's a good video, but it just speaks down to Republicans so I don't think it's changing anyone.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If Republicans want to change, they need to find it within themselves first and commit to doing that work. A single video placating their precious feelings wasn't going to magically deprogram them either.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's incredibly cringe and kinda loses focus in the middle. Also no one who needs to hear this is going to sit through a dude who looks like an AI reconstruction lecturing them.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Like I saw someone say (and I'm paraphrasing), "A patronizing, smug-toned video will be seen as an insult and make Republicans just dig in harder." This will end up as effective as The Lincoln Project videos.

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
The video is on point.

But it won't help.

It is a shame that we have to try to come up with a way to sugarcoat this message to them like they are fucking toddlers. I don't have it in me. I'm tired of dealing with the willfully brain dead.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay but if videos like this don't work, what types of video would? Being nice and super understanding certainly won't either
I think videos like this aren't totally useless, it's one attempt among countless others. A multitude of approaches have to be used imo
Maybe that one made one or two brainwashed people at least consider there was truth in what he was saying. It won't magically change anyone just like that
It has to be done in different ways, by a lot of different people

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Okay but if videos like this don't work, what types of video would?
None. No video, on its own, is capable of deprogramming them.

In fact, in most cases, basically nothing is. However, if they're theoretically amenable, brutal personal consequences and dissonance from an in-group member can have an effect. These videos will likely never even *reach* their intended audience, and even if they did, they are so offensive to that mindset and world view that they would never be examined in good faith.

On the plus side, I am a game dev, and I'm down with these big 'ol subtitles.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Okay but if videos like this don't work, what types of video would? Being nice and super understanding certainly won't either
I think videos like this aren't totally useless, it's one attempt among countless others. A multitude of approaches have to be used imo
Maybe that one made one or two brainwashed people at least consider there was truth in what he was saying. It won't magically change anyone just like that
It has to be done in different ways, by a lot of different people
I advise people to watch Heaven's Gate documentary on HBO about the UFO space cult that started in the 70s and had unflappable believers in it. They all happily committed mass suicide in the end. It is a required viewing to understand Trumpism. They bring in several experts, historians and scholars including a Cult depeogramming expert who has been in the business since the 70s and has written books about it. There's lot of informative things in the documentary but one thing the expert says is that you cannot convince these people by argument or debate, unfortunately. Or even facts. The loyalty is at an emotional level, not rational. So rational logic will not work. Instead he said something to the effect of deprogramming taking months, if not years to come into effect. And that too, through their trusted confidants only. It is a very, very difficult process. So yeah unfortunately no video will work on them, especially made by someone that they're brainwashed to not trust.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only way to deprogram Republicans is on a personal level by white Americans taking to them. And even then it will take years and fail miserably in most cases.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I advise people to watch Heaven's Gate documentary on HBO about the UFO space cult that started in the 70s and had unflappable believers in it. They all happily committed mass suicide in the end. It is a required viewing to understand Trumpism. They bring in several experts, historians and scholars including a Cult depeogramming expert who has been in the business since the 70s and has written books about it. There's lot of informative things in the documentary but one thing the expert says is that you cannot convince these people by argument or debate, unfortunately. Or even facts. The loyalty is at an emotional level, not rational. So rational logic will not work. Instead he said something to the effect of deprogramming taking months, if not years to come into effect. And that too, through their trusted confidants only. It is a very, very difficult process. So yeah unfortunately no video will work on them, especially made by someone that they're brainwashed to not trust.
Thank you for the recommendation, I'll try to watch the documentary
šŸ˜© It feels so hopeless, having so many conspirationists and extremists all over the world, and more and more every year... QAnon has even gained a lot of ground here in Europe, it's depressing.