• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a 55-story high rise and have guests coming in and out often. Other tenants & the doorman will gladly let them in without an inquisition. I've let plenty of people in without an issue.

Buzzing guests in is protocol but it's usually super inconvenient. At this rate; the front desk only calls me to have couriers sent up (Postmates, Uber Eats, etc.).

Glad I don't live in a building with a bunch of losers who spent their entire life being insignificant and overlooked due to their inadequacies. So they crown themselves Neighborhood Watch and go out of their way to profile guests & tenants. Glad this prick ruined his own life. Feel bad for his son; seems like the mom is doing a good job raising him.

It is clearly a race and class issue. Like some people said before, if this guy or anyone else was a white woman or an elderly person, they would let them in without question.

Despite people disagreeing with my take, I get why buildings have these rules. But if I'm going to hang out with a friend or was invited to a party and if someone is going as I'm coming in, yeah... I'm going to enter the building. I'm there for a reason and I don't need to tell some other tenant why, it's that simple.

I can't say I'm a fan of most people because they feel the need to crown themselves neighborhood watch Karen and profile people or get into other peoples business. I see it all the time and yeah, it's mostly white people. There is a big issue with this, subtle racism or classism. People in this thread clearly continue to hold the crown proud.

I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt considering his father was killed by a trespasser. It's too easy to completely judge and destroy people these day.

Why? Because the dude is white? Would you give him that same courtesy if he was a black man?

Sorry but your past tragedies, no matter how sad, don't give you a pass to be a racist fuck.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing Youtube is aware of this and HR would be notified and this guy will get called into a meeting room by the lobby.
I'm hoping someone holds the door for him too.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Especially with that smug look on his face
Nah it's normal when fearful or concerned to be a smug asshole. Clearly according to some people here /s

Even IF someone were dumb enough to defend this, ALL arguments are thrown out the moment you see the look on his face. You aren't smug as he was when you're legitimately concerned. He knew damn well what he was doing.

I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt considering his father was killed by a trespasser. It's too easy to completely judge and destroy people these day.

What reason did he have to be darn near cheesing from cheek to cheek if he were truly concerned about a potential trespasser? Don't even try to give me that BS excuse.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am really confused by this video. Was the guy in the lobby or not? Looks like they are outside? In every building I've ever had a key card too there's been a hardline no tailgating policy but even if the guy tried to do that it doesn't look like he actually got in? And Dude still calling the cops? Do I have this right?

Kinda answering my own question here: the conversation looks like it is happening in the door way. The door in to the lobby is being held open.

From the conversation as it stands it sounds like Cukor didn't even mention the problem with tailgating him into the building until he was on the phone with police.

This is an ugly situation. You shouldn't be tailgating access to a locked building with someone who doesn't know you. If asked not to do that by someone who does not know you, you should comply with that.

On the other hand: calling cops on a black man as a "trespasser" and potential criminal when you've no reason to suspect him of anything other than wanting to wait for a friend in the AC is practically like pointing a gun at his head. The fuck is wrong with you?

Nov 1, 2017
Scared that 'trespasser' could be dangerous

Escalates situation with direct confrontation

Hmmm
Shit is wild. My building is like this too but the thing, is rather than calling the cops on everyone I don't get why people don't push their building management to have an employee or guard at the front 24/7. You know good and Goddamn well that almost no one is actually going to enforce the tailgating policy. Therefore, if you're so worried, why not push for a solution where you don't have to depend on your neighbors placing their children in harm's way to keep the building safe? Watch someone say because they won't do it. And if that's the case, the building management obviously hasn't prioritized their and their loved ones safety and I don't know why they are living there pretending otherwise.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The white ego strikes again.

"This darkie isn't where he belongs and isn't bowing down to my authority! I must call the cops to take care of this problem."

Gotta give credit to all my brothers and sisters out there who are recording these fools and putting them on display for their bigotry.

And that kid was the best part of the video. When you have your small child literally breaking down in tears telling you what you're doing is wrong and continue on anyway, you're telling him and yourself that your pride is more important. So I don't wanna hear that bullshit excuse that this racist did what he did for safety reasons or past trauma.

The safe route for him and his son would've been to get as far away as possible. But instead he confronted this man head on with his crying child right next to him.

There's no excuse here. White guy was acting out of racism plain and simple.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Can't speak definitively for my fellow Europeans, or for France as a whole, but it doesn't seem nearly as pronounced here in France, at least when it comes to Black people.

But racism is there still, albeit with different targets. We love saying Arabs are scum, and reprimanding/banning Muslim women from wearing hijabs for fear that we're going to become a women-hating Islamist country in a matter of years or something.

The US's brand of racism is so much more... systemic and on the nose, I guess? Like, many people outside of the US know that the US has a huge racism problem, especially against Black people, and that your cops are horrible. Mind you, ours are far from perfect, but the US is just on a whole other level as far as I can tell.

Right. No one is saying other countries are free of racism. And yes, France's treatment of Muslims is pretty well known. I was just trying to get a perspective of what it's like for minorities elsewhere on a daily basis.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
I'm sorry but white people should be ticketed for these stupid false calls of bullshit like this. If white people start being punished for this maybe they will think twice before calling.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I hate these stories so much. It sucks how people trip over their own feet rushing in to threads like this to defend, handwave and downplay white people's actions against black people.

The fact of the matter is that when you call the police on black people like this, you are putting them into a situation that could lead to their deaths. If your bike or communal tv is worth getting an innocent person killed, you should rethink your priorities. Get a doorman or lobby security guard if you absolutely must make sure no black people ever cross your gaze.

Oct 26, 2017
The guy calling the cops went way too far here. If his building has a no-tailgating policy, he could've notified management or security or whoever. Or maybe calmly told the guy about the policy first? Although it's possible he did that before the video started.

If the other guy did tailgate, and it was against building rules, he really should've just waited outside. He didn't have to tell the phone guy shit (as he rightfully points out), but don't break the rules to make a point. Unfortunately we don't know the building's policy, so it's tough to make any kind of judgment call.

The people claiming phone man was scared because his dad was killed can suck a shit. If you're scared, you don't stand around next to the perceived "threat" with your young child.

And the people claiming that those railing against tailgaters are selectively applying rules and wouldn't stop an old white lady from tailgating can also suck a shit. I wouldn't stop any old lady, regardless of race, from entering. Aunt May ain't about to pick up my TV and walk out the front door with it. But a young male of any race gets the security door slammed in their face. I've done it. I'll do it again.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculous.

He deleted his linkin page because he knew fucked up and Youtube is aware of this. Good.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right. No one is saying other countries are free of racism. And yes, France's treatment of Muslims is pretty well known. I was just trying to get a perspective of what it's like for minorities elsewhere on a daily basis.

And good on you for doing that ^^. I was just trying not to act like we over here have the moral high ground or anything, because we sure don't if you look closely. It still looks like the situation is much more severe in the US on the whole, but yeah.

That said, please note that I'm White, have generally been raised and educated in a fairly privileged environment, and have few friends among minorities (and the ones I do have weren't raised in poor neighborhoods either AFAIK). Plus I've been living in the capital (i.e. the most cosmopolitan are in the country) for years now, so it's really hard for me to gauge the reality of the situation. My own perspective is very much flawed.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The guy calling the cops went way too far here. If his building has a no-tailgating policy, he could've notified management or security or whoever. Or maybe calmly told the guy about the policy first? Although it's possible he did that before the video started.

If the other guy did tailgate, and it was against building rules, he really should've just waited outside. He didn't have to tell the phone guy shit (as he rightfully points out), but don't break the rules to make a point. Unfortunately we don't know the building's policy, so it's tough to make any kind of judgment call.

The people claiming phone man was scared because his dad was killed can suck a shit. If you're scared, you don't stand around next to the perceived "threat" with your young child.

And the people claiming that those railing against tailgaters are selectively applying rules and wouldn't stop an old white lady from tailgating can also suck a shit. I wouldn't stop any old lady, regardless of race, from entering. Aunt May ain't about to pick up my TV and walk out the front door with it. But a young male of any race gets the security door slammed in their face. I've done it. I'll do it again.

You just fell for the long con. Aunt May just trying to get a foot in the building so she can let her able bodied nephew in.

No reason to trust anybody if you're going to make these kinds of decisions.

Nov 17, 2017
This reminds me of the thread we had last year about the Black guy getting followed by a white woman because she didn't believe he lived in the apartment. The same ridiculous responses from people trying to justify a situation completely blown out of proportion. As usual, people showing their asses and it's pathetic.
Black people have to go above and beyond to make white people comfortable enough not to call the cops on them. To them, it's our responsibility to go out of our way to seem non-threatening even though it's their perception that makes us a threat to them by default.

All the people arguing about tailgating are in major denial that this situation would have played out the same if it was a white woman instead. I'm honestly doubtful of the people saying they would close the door on anyone in this type of scenario. The reality is people see a black body as a threat, as something inherently untrustworthy. White people are always given the benefit of the doubt and not immediately presumed to be up to no good. I've had doors to buildings I've lived in shut in my face before only to watch the dumbfounded look on the peoples' faces when I use my key to get in. And in those same buildings, I've seen people without thought or hesitation let white and asian people tailgate after them. It's funny, no matter how long you live in a place, when you're black, no one seems to recognize that you live there.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
This guy is likely a racist asshole, based on how smug he was acting. The kids reaction makes it seem like hes probably done shit like this before as well.

On the other hand, my old building had a keycard requirement (or this little triangle thing, don't really know what to call it), and tailgating wasn't allowed at all due to high theft and broken into cars (allowing it to happen could result in fines as well). But, we wouldn't get the police involved if someone came in behind, we would just notify the desk or security to talk to them.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for that kid because his Dad is a dumb-dumb, and now may not be able to provide for him in the future.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For people who are saying that the possible reason could have been Cukor's past, ask yourself this- if he actually felt unsafe, would he confront the guy with his child right next to him? No. He would have kept walking and called the cops from a safe distance. He confronted the guy and called the cops in front of him cause he's a dick.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Black people have to go above and beyond to make white people comfortable enough not to call the cops on them. To them, it's our responsibility to go out of our way to seem non-threatening even though it's their perception that makes us a threat to them by default.

All the people arguing about tailgating are in major denial that this situation would have played out the same if it was a white woman instead. I'm honestly doubtful of the people saying they would close the door on anyone in this type of scenario. The reality is people see a black body as a threat, as something inherently untrustworthy. White people are always given the benefit of the doubt and not immediately presumed to be up to no good. I've had doors to buildings I've lived in shut in my face before only to watch the dumbfounded look on the peoples' faces when I use my key to get in. And in those same buildings, I've seen people without thought or hesitation let white and asian people tailgate after them. It's funny, no matter how long you live in a place, when you're black, no one seems to recognize that you live there.
Which pisses me off why in the fuck is it the job of the oppressed to comfort the oppressor like fuck right off

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
User Warned: Hostility

So you're sexist and ageist but totally not racist? Somehow I doubt that.

If you're going to pre-judge people based off appearance you're not going to stop at race. You can lie to me, but don't lie to yourself.

Nov 17, 2017
For people who are saying that the possible reason could have been Cukor's past, ask yourself this- if he actually felt unsafe, would he confront the guy with his child right next to him? No. He would have kept walking and called the cops from a safe distance. He confronted the guy and called the cops in front of him cause he's a dick.
I don't know how else you could see this guy nonchalantly stand in front of the black man with his kid with a smug, shit-eating grin on his face and think "It's not racism, he's just scared for his life." I think people realize this but they want to jump at any explanation for why this isn't an instance of racism despite all the PoC in the thread saying it absolutely is. Almost like the PoC here have experience with this type of racism....

People won't believe them though. I think a lot of people are far more comfortable with the illusion that racism occurs far less than it does, that it only is blatant and undeniable. You'll often see white people struggle with the idea of microaggressions, institutionalized/systemic racism or casual, more subtle forms of racism because in their mind they can only see racism as this white hood-wearing boogeyman. And because that boogeyman exists, white people can form their definition of racism around only the extreme examples and feel comfortable knowing that they aren't capable of racism because they don't fit that definition. It's basically why you see white people get ultra defensive when you suggest something they said, did or support was racist or racially insensitive. They frantically deny being racist because they don't even realize there is racism outside of that extreme. It's why you see people clamor to find any reason for why racism wasn't a factor in stories like these; I believe it's because they see themselves in these situations as well (like reaching your apartment building door just as a black man does) and don't want to be labeled as racist. They don't realize the simplest solution is to just not be racist in any degree and challenge their own bias and pre-conceptions of race that they may not even realize are there by listening to actual minorities when they explain this stuff instead of immediately resisting with all their might.

Which pisses me off why in the fuck is it the job of the oppressed to comfort the oppressor like fuck right off
Because those of privilege are happy with where they are and feel no obligation to change that.

Oct 25, 2017
If he was actually trespassing, how the fuck did he enter the building then? If there are no locks on the front, who gave him the fucking jurisdiction to decide who can/cannot enter it .. its a public place. Can't stand ass holes who decide to adjudicate for themselves.

Man for a Youtube employee he doesn't have the best judgement does he. What an utter moron leaning on his privilege. Grinds my gears seeing this stuff, and its so common all over the world too.

I'm with you. I have no idea. The video is not in a lobby nor does it show tailgating. I can come up with theories how any of their stories add up, but that's all they are.

Looking at the video. The white guy is standing in front of the open door (you can see the door/handle when he leans forward a little) and the guy filming is likely standing in the doorway. I don't think the guy was already in the lobby. It seems like the altercation happened in the doorway as one was walking out and the other was walking in.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean he may have feared that the guy was going to kill him? It certainly doesn't look like it in the video. If he was afraid for his life he wouldn't be standing right there with his own son and escalating the fuck out of the situation with a massive grin on his face.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean he may have feared that the guy was going to kill him? It certainly doesn't look like it in the video. If he was afraid for his life he wouldn't be standing right there with his own son and escalating the fuck out of the situation with a massive grin on his face.

His response explains every horror movie ever. White people constantly go looking for the thing that's going to kill them.

It all makes sense.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The kid's reactions in this video make me so sad. Hopefully he continues this way and grows up to be very different from his dad.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks for the good kid that his dumbass of a dad will probably be out of a job after this, but seriously fuck that dude.

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Inflammatory Generalisation
So you're sexist and ageist but totally not racist? Somehow I doubt that.

If you're going to pre-judge people based off appearance you're not going to stop at race. You can lie to me, but don't lie to yourself.

Old women aren't known to commit crimes. Young men are. It's as simple as that. You want to add labels like "ageist" and "sexist," that's on you.

And you stuff that that "oh you must also be a racist because reasons." You don't know shit about me, so fuck off with that bullshit.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Old women aren't known to commit crimes. Young men are. It's as simple as that. You want to add labels like "ageist" and "sexist," that's on you.

And you stuff that that "oh you must also be a racist because reasons." You don't know shit about me, so fuck off with that bullshit.

I know you're in this thread going to bat hard for a racist. Guess what that makes you?

You justifying your bias by stating you know who does and doesn't commit crime. George Zimmerman thought similar. Plenty of racists do. Sorry if the truth hurts.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Then you're a new fool too. If the guy was so scared of potential danger why would he keep his 6 year old kid near it? Further, once the black mans friend came and verified his story why did the piece of shit continue to stay there and stay on the phone with the cops?

Man, shut the fuck up.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019

Man, shut the fuck up.

I know enough about you just from your responses in this topic alone and you're just as embarrassing as the dad is to his son.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
People tailgate me at work from time to time. I always think of the worst case scenario where that person goes on a shooting spree and I let them in, but I've never actually tried to stop them from coming in. That'd be awkward.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Acktually, I'd call the police on any man of any race," Michael said smuggly, while being interviewed after appearing in a viral video.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
It's interesting that he stayed so committed to calling 911 even despite being recorded. I mean, he works for YouTube - he should know how this song-and-dance goes where the video will be posted online and he'll likely be ostracized. It's even more surprising that he stayed the course with his kid begging him to stop.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
What a scumbag father. It's embarrassing that your small son has more sense than you.

Also, he works for YouTube? Explains a lot.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
My aunt's late husband was killed by a trespasser who took a shotgun to his face while they were sleeping (completely random murder). I see no problem with making it your business when someone you don't know is in your home. Yes apartment lobbies count as your home, that's why they have locks and buzzers. Calling the cops is more than a bit much though, building security/landlord would be fine in this situation, no?

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I never let people in behind me, don't care who you are, it's a huge hazard.

Everything this guy said afterwards is disgusting though. What gives him the right?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Black Americans should call the cops on white people for doing nothing at all in protest.

If people did actually do that I guarantee the reaction would be far in excess of anyone commenting on this specific case.

Sorry man. Those "False Report" fines and charges that Police have on the books? Yeah, we'll get hit with those in that situation rather than getting a free walk like white people do.

Not only that, it would turn into a real personal interrogation by police really quickly as they "get to the bottom of the reason why we called"

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if there's a record of him also reporting every single white guy he's ever seen at that location

I have serious doubts about that