• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VioletVVitch

Oct 27, 2017
Can you even name another device with an internal battery that can be shut down entirely and remotely?

This. OP please just take a second and think rationally why the switch can't do what you want. You've been provided a myriad of reasoning that is logical yet you insist on yelling at people that they don't understand. Just breathe and think I know you can do it!

OP
OP
Zukuu

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
This. OP please just take a second and think rationally why the switch can't do what you want. You've been provided a myriad of reasoning that is logical yet you insist on yelling at people that they don't understand. Just breathe and think I know you can do it!
Tbh, there hasn't been A SINGLE REASON why a feature that can already be used when you hold it in your hands isn't available via controller. Not one and I doubt there will be, because it makes no logical sense whatsoever to omit that OPTION.

Also ANY mobile device can be turned off. Even the switch can be turned off, but not remotely - which is the entire point of this long ass thread since it's also marketed as a console.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, there hasn't been A SINGLE REASON why a feature that can already be used when you hold it in your hands isn't available via controller. Not one and I doubt there will be, because it makes no logical sense whatsoever to omit that OPTION.

Also ANY mobile device can be turned off. Even the switch can be turned off, but not remotely - which is the entire point of this long ass thread since it's also marketed as a console.

when it's not hooked up to a dock receiving power, it's not a console but a handheld. Once you've cut power to the dock, it's now a handheld. There's no handheld device that can be remotely shut down.

dammitmattt

Oct 28, 2017

A few questions:

1. WHY do you want to turn it off completely? Are you trying to save electricity? Save the Switch's battery? Or is it "just 'cause?"

2.Do you expect that you should be able to turn it back on with the controller after a full power down?

3.Do you do the same thing with all of your electronics and other similar items? What about your A/C or water? Do you shut them off when not using them? What about your lighting in your home?

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Isn't the reason so people don't select that option docked, and then get upset/confused why they can't turn their system on with a controller? Seems simple why it's not accessible the way you want it.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the reason so people don't select that option docked, and then get upset/confused why they can't turn their system on with a controller? Seems simple why it's not accessible the way you want it.

Yeah, I mean it's pretty common sense that if someone was able to shut it down from a controller they'd expect to be able to turn it on from a controller too... that's how every other console since the Xbox worked (and like basically every device in existence no? TVs, Christmas trees, radios, speakers, air conditioners, etc etc).

If you take this functionality away you're just creating a headache for your support call center. Because you know every idiot in the world is going to call up saying their switch is broken or controller and won't turn the device on.

dammitmattt

Oct 28, 2017
when it's not hooked up to a dock receiving power, it's not a console but a handheld. Once you've cut power to the dock, it's now a handheld. There's no handheld device that can be remotely shut down.
Hell, I'm not even sure how to "shut down" my Model 3. Obviously, I can restart it, but that's it.
Dozens have tried this approach but have been rebuffed every time.

VioletVVitch

Oct 27, 2017

Yes there has and you're IGNORING THEM(I can caps lock too ;))
And yes any mobile device CAN be turned off PHYSICALLY (Just like the switch can, WOW!)
The entire point is it would be pointless to allow total remote shutdown when you cannot total remote startup. Yes the switch has a dock and is considered a home console but the tech is a battery and therefore a MOBILE device. Not to mention while PS4 and Xbox1 have a 'power down' option it's still using energy(more than the switch does in fact) If the switch had the same option it would not turn off all the way. You don't seem to understand how batteries or current electronics work so please just listen to literally everyone in this thread, relax, and just accept it and move on.

TAoVG

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Because that's the way they designed it?

I would imagine that, due to limited space on each joycon, they made the decision to keep the power button on the unit itself. Right now, there are the same number of buttons on each joycon and no more room internally for another button to be added on either.

There have been a bunch of posts telling you how to power down from a menu, so, there you go.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The only reason I hate this not being an option with a controller is that the power button on the console is terrible and hard to press reliably, other than that you don't really need to power your Switch off and back on every time you stop and want to use it again.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I hate standby. I always stuff off my entire entertainment "block" outlet via a remote.

So my switch will always decharge and recharge daily if I leave it docked. Man what is Nintendo thinking?!

your way of managing things is not 'usual'....also the switch is technically a mobile device...do u power off your mobile phone completely at the end of everyday?

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i shut it off all the way and put it in a case. if i leave it in the dock it will catch dust.

the only piece of electronics i don't power off completely is the phone. everything else gets a total shutdown when i'm not using it because it's a waste of energy and sleep modes consume mileage out of your battery.

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017

1) Wrong (yet again). You can use the touch screen when holding it in your hands, but not with a controller. For obvious reasons.

Also, foot guns are user hostile. There's a reason why UX experts across all 3 major consoles have come to the same conclusion about remotely cutting power to the devices.

2) Why are you fixated on the Switch and not literally every other mobile device in existence for having the same "issue"?

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania

It is actually not marketed as a console so again you are wrong, it is marketed as a hybrid. Only the lite gets marketed as one or the other as it is only handheld.

In either case of the lite or regular switch they are mobile devices and that is the reason why it is this way. Your argument is that it's so weird for Nintendo to do this when it is actually the norm for mobile devices is the main rebuttle against your points. Even when docked the dock is just acting as an HDMI out with a few USB ports, the switch doesn't suddenly become a home console at that point it's more of a mobile device displaying on your TV like if you plugged an iPad or phone into an input.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
tenor.gif

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
It literally was brought up as an attack point for people wanting to shut the system off remotely DESPITE NO ONE EVER CLAIMING THAT and is still used as an attacking point. See here:

Your complaint is that you can't shut it off remotely w/ a controller so you have to walk & turn it off physically. But if they designed it the way you want, you'd have to do the exact same thing to turn it on, because you couldn't use the controller. Are you saying you wouldn't complain about having to go walk to turn it on/wake it up so long as you can turn it off remotely? That seems kind of contradictory imo.

But fuck Nintendo for designing their system to be used, not to be sat in an entertainment center gathering dust for months at a time, amirite?

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo deliberately made it harder to shutdown the Switch. Everybody loves how quickly you can get back into a game when you wake the Switch so they push people to use sleep only.

They were already doing that on 3DS. They're pushing sleep mode really hard, even requiring a two-step process to shut down the system, and making the power button hard to press on New 2DS XL in particular.

But it's always stupid and annoying. Let me shut down my system when I want to!

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
My car also has a critical design flaw. The keyless entry doesn't work after I unplug the battery every night.