• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I don't see how you can say it wasn't an accurate comment to make in response to what was stated.
He wants to shut off the Switch because right before, he cuts off all electricity to the dock.

So the Switch is entering in handled mode, not more plugged to anything.

In his exemple the battery is pumped like if used in a nomad idle mode.

Last edited:

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't use standby on any of my systems and do think it's a bit odd that there is no option to completely power down the Switch via controller.

However, I get that I'm in the minority here and am not gonna start screaming at people about this like the OP, lmao

EDIT: I goofed up, meant to say I don't use rest or sleep mode as opposed to standby.
There is. That's what we've told the OP already but they ignored it and went on a tirade about how small inklings of power consumption matter and that it's incredibly inconvenient to turn off the Switch manually once every six weeks.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
He wants to shut off the Switch because right before, he cuts off all electricity to the dock.

So the Switch is entering in handled mode, not more plugged to anything.

In his exemple the battery is pumped like if used in a nomad idle mode.
I understand what that poster wants. Shutting it off the way that poster wants doesn't stop battery drain though. If they're not playing it for an extended period of time then that could lead to more wear on the battery than just leaving it in sleep mode. They questioned why they should bother with having it constantly active and that is the reason to do it. It is a perfectly reasonable response when they're questioning what is the benefit of doing it in a way they don't want it to behave. What they want could be worse for the health of the system.

Minotaur

Oct 25, 2017
I hate it too. See no reason why they couldn't just give the option of shutting it off with a controller.
But w.e I just get up and walk over and shut it off.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Why is no one bringing up that when the Switch is fully turned off, plugging the dock back in (OP using his socket remote) will not turn the Switch back on?

OP said himself he only uses the Switch a couple of times a year. Unless OP also goes through the trouble of manually turning on the Switch every morning without him needing to use it, I don't see what his problem is.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No reason to with it having that small of charge. We are literally talking in cents over a year here.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Believe it not, completely shutting down your electronics can be a good thing.

Have a friend that has an iPhone 6 since it's launch with 85% battery health because they've practiced shutting down their phone every night.
I do this too. And God I forgot about this stupid thing that you can't easly turn off Switch, I would hate that too.
I always turn off PS4 too, why the hell I should let the thing stay on 90% of the time if it's not going to be used... just nonsense.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do this too. And God I forgot about this stupid thing that you can't easly turn off Switch, I would hate that too.
I always turn off PS4 too, why the hell I should let the thing stay on 90% of the time if it's not going to be used... just nonsense.

So you plug it from the power source? Otherwise it's not turned off at all.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Lol that drama over nothing.

If I want something unplugged I unplug it.
Yes, even in 2020, we still walk.
I like that over stupid remotes everywhere.

If I could actually raise the electric curtains myself I'd rather do it manually that with a remote.

Im surprised people don't know that you can turn the switch off when it's docked.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
I agree, OP. I put my Switch to sleep 95% of the time, but sometimes I just want to turn it off and it's mildly annoying that you can't do it using the controller.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
You're probably wasting more electricity with the extra time wasted from booting the game from scratch.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is no one bringing up that when the Switch is fully turned off, plugging the dock back in (OP using his socket remote) will not turn the Switch back on?

OP said himself he only uses the Switch a couple of times a year. Unless OP also goes through the trouble of manually turning on the Switch every morning without him needing to use it, I don't see what his problem is.
It does turn on though?

Deleted member 33515

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
the gist of this thread is this:
- if you don't do X you're stupid (general), there is no need to do X anyway
- no one knows how batteries work
- if the switch is plugged in it just works! and it doesn't eat power, never! turning stuff off is so 90s

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last time a console could be fully shut off and have all of its electrical power cut was the OG PS3 model because it had a switch in the back to cut the power manually.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd suggest switching to that rest mode life. I used to never use it due to thinking it'd cost a lot.

I ended up doing the math and I calculated that if I left my PS4 Pro running a game in rest mode, for an entire year, it'd only cost around $10 a year. I don't use it to just use it, but it's nice knowing that I can now without worry. The Switch uses a ton less power than a PS4 Pro, especially if you have the updated SOC model.

Side note: The PS5 is supposedly going to only use 0.5w in rest mode with a game running so I'm curious to see how that pans out as it'd be amazing

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
This is the biggest issue I have with the Switch. I hate it.

I want to power my shit off and not just having the home button on the controller do the same thing is dumb.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
I hate it too. See no reason why they couldn't just give the option of shutting it off with a controller.
But w.e I just get up and walk over and shut it off.

Because people will think there's something wrong with their Switch when it doesn't turn on when they're trying to use the Pro Controller to turn it on.

- if the switch is plugged in it just works! and it doesn't eat power, never! turning stuff off is so 90s

In this thread, people think they can turn off the PS4 completely with their controller and wonder why the Switch doesn't do the same thing.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I'm just fascinated by the fact that for most people on here it is absolutely outlandish to shut down some home entertainment while not using it or
while on work for 10 hrs.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'm just fascinated by the fact that for most people on here it is absolutely outlandish to shut down some home entertainment while not using it or
while on work for 10 hrs.
That's because most people don't, as it's annoying to have to plug in and unplug the tv very time you want to use it and constantly have to keep setting the time.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
That's because most people don't, as it's annoying to have to plug in and unplug the tv very time you want to use it and constantly have to keep setting the time.

Well, i have a remote app for my outlets.
Never said anything about unpluging something, i never unplug anything, but control my outlets and lights per remote.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
There is -or at least was- a reason to fully "switch" off: the switch has/had memory leaks issues in its OS and it makes/made crashes more frequent on high memory consumption games, like City Skylines. There also was a memory leak in the sleep mode not long ago, i remember the Witcher 3 notes asking to close reopen the game and not resuming from sleep.

Other people budget conscious might want to limit as much as possible the small accumulated consumption of sleeping devices.

Last edited:

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
And that doesn't use energy transmitting and receiving packets from your Wi-Fi?

Pretty sure it does use some energy.
Never said i'm an energy saver.
I just turn off electronics i don't use,
prevents malfunction while i'm not at home and secures the electronics further against some overvoltage damage.

Every one can feel free to do it like someone wants to, i just was fascinated that turning something completely off is seen as this outlandish,
maybe it is some cultural thing.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I swear I'm having deja vu with this thread. I swear we had this same exact thread a couple months after the Switch launched compete with OP saying he wants to turn the Switch completely off and everyone trying to convince him he was wrong.

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
I find more annoying that there's no fast way to shut off Wi-Fi in docked mode. There's that half airplane mode where you can keep using wireless controllers but it can be activated only when it's undocked.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much. I guess in some countries they leave everything on forever? Like laptops, consoles, etc even when they don't use them.

I still don't get it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I turn off my power strip if I'm leaving the house for a couple hours, mostly out of force-of-habit and a weird fear sparked by a terrifying outlet fire PSA ad I saw when I was like 8. I basically never sleep mode things like PCs and the PS4 for longer than 3 hours either, that doesn't seem energy efficient at all - you can even hear the PS4's fans going.

All that said, I think the Switch solution is fine, but I don't like that the slightest nudge while it's in the dock after you've powered it off will turn it back on again automatically.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
nerdburglars.net

Power Consumption of The Nintendo Switch - Nerdburglars Gaming

Find out what the power consumption of the Nintendo switch is through various different tests in standby mode, main menu and in game to see how efficient the Nintendo switch is.

20180114_103638-e1516444199451-1024x647.jpg

Switch's power draw in standby is extremely low in most cases.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
nerdburglars.net

Power Consumption of The Nintendo Switch - Nerdburglars Gaming

Find out what the power consumption of the Nintendo switch is through various different tests in standby mode, main menu and in game to see how efficient the Nintendo switch is.

20180114_103638-e1516444199451-1024x647.jpg

Switch's power draw in standby is extremely low in most cases.

Well, because everyone is talking about energy saving:
The switch does use 0.1W in standby, that would be 8.76kWh per year,
There are around 17m switch sold in the US, that would be almost 149m kWh per year just in the US.
1 kWh costs in the US around $0.09, that would be $13.4m for the energy sector just because all switch run on standby.
That is a great business ;-)

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
What an odd situation. This is a bit of a you problem, OP. I've never heard of a person cutting power to their devices like that. I guess I get the reasoning though. That said, products are generally designed with features that cater to its intended purpose, and the Switch isn't really ever intended to be shut off completely, especially if it's docked. So yeah, they could have the option, but they could have the option to do lots of things.

This meme has just turned into a free ticket for people to be rude thinking they're being funny.

(thats what it always was)

Last edited:

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
According to this article, the PS4 consumes 10 watts in sleep mode and 0.3 watts when "turned off". That's three times more than the Switch's sleep mode.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's funny because I'm the exact opposite of OP. I have multiple battery backups hooked up to my home theater to ensure it never goes off.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Seems kinda strange that you cant access this feature from the controller. The system itself has the option afterall, so i wonder why they wont allow you to select it with a controller.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
It would be great to have the option for sure. Rebooting the system as well. Other appliances designed to sleep have these functions. The Switch is ridiculously barebones, and system software development seems really slow at Nintendo for whatever reason. We've gotten very little in terms of useful feature updates during the last three years.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I get the op. I turn my switch off a lot since I don't use it fir months at a time.

but lol the first page of hostile people smh.

OP
OP
Zukuu

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Guess I am also one of the abnormal persons, because I would also like to power off my switch with my controller, since I also turn off the entire power outlet if I don't actively use any of the consoles (as in, I am done and I turn it off). And if I don't play anything there it is indeed powered off for weeks/months.

Welp.
dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

Having the battery charged is better than having the battery completely drained for the health of the battery. Lithium Ion batteries don't like to be completely drained and leaving it disconnected from a power source for months or even weeks will leave the battery drained.
I dunno what kind of electronics you have, but it wouldn't even remotely be drained entirely. I have a 6 year old phone I use for a single app every few weeks to a few months which I shut completely down between sessions... guess what. It's almost still full, because why wouldn't it - it doesn't have to use any electricity to keep anything in the RAM.

Lithium batteries have a deterioration the more often you charge them - in particular beyond 80% that's just a fucking scientific fact. Hawing that happening daily for weeks / months if you don't even use it is dumb.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is the option to fucking turn something off that weird to you? Even if you don't use it, it should be an OPTION.
The fucking menu is there if you undock that shit, so why not fucking have it accessible via a controller aswell?!

You're being aggressive as fuck dude. Most people will be happy enough having their Switch on standby when docked where it will recharge or stay on full power (you know part of it's main design / selling point). The option to completely power it down exists by removing the system from the dock and doing it manually. I fail to see how that's anymore of an issue than complaining "wah wah my HDTV makes me get up and press a button on the actual hardware, why can't I do that from my controller!!!"

What a strange thing to get aggressively upset over lol.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
People still shutdown their consoles?? My PS4 and my Switch are always on sleep/standby!