• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why, but people will tell you sleep-mode is enough and you don't need a complete shutdown regardless of what you want and that this option should be available of course. We had this thread several times and for some reason this is not viable for the usual Era mantra 'options are good'.

It's annoying and could easily be fixed by Nintendo.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my zelda session for the night. Wish i could just pick up right where i left off. Too bad I cant just pause it and put it into sleep and pick up right where i left off in the morning. Guess ill quit my game, turn it off, and have to load the game up again, pick my save, load into the area I was at and be put back to the nearest checkpoint.
Yeah I absolutely love this feature. I haven't shut Luigi's Mansion 3 down a single time. Just press the power button on the pro controller and start back up exactly where I left off.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Guess I am also one of the abnormal persons, because I would also like to power off my switch with my controller, since I also turn off the entire power outlet if I don't actively use any of the consoles (as in, I am done and I turn it off). And if I don't play anything there it is indeed powered off for weeks/months.

Welp.

Oct 25, 2017
What's worse than that you can't turn the switch off from a controller is that you can't turn it ON from a controller either. You can only wake it up from sleep, but not turn it on if it is off. It's such an awful, electricity-wasting design... I leave it in suspend most of the time anyway, but I really wish I could easily turn it off more easily. You should have the option for either one available! And the controller should, of course, be able to turn the system on.

On that note, the way that Home button works is pretty bad too, I have had more than a few times where I hold the button down... only for it to not wake up the Switch, it failed to register. The light moves back and forth for a few seconds but nothing happens. So I need to try again, and eventually it wakes the thing up. I don't think I have any other modern consoles which can't even wake up reliably... the Wii and Wii U certainly have no such issues, and they also can actually be turned on and off from their controllers. But there are of course a whole lot of things about the Switch OS that are horribly bad and backwards compared to the consoles that precede it, the 3DS and Wii U particularly, so that should be no surprise.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's worse than that you can't turn the switch off from a controller is that you can't turn it ON from a controller either. You can only wake it up from sleep, but not turn it on if it is off. It's such an awful, electricity-wasting design... I leave it in suspend most of the time anyway, but I really wish I could easily turn it off more easily. You should have the option for either one available! And the controller should, of course, be able to turn the system on.

On that note, the way that Home button works is pretty bad too, I have had more than a few times where I hold the button down... only for it to not wake up the Switch, it failed to register. The light moves back and forth for a few seconds but nothing happens. So I need to try again, and eventually it wakes the thing up. I don't think I have any other modern consoles which can't even wake up reliably... the Wii and Wii U certainly have no such issues, and they also can actually be turned on and off from their controllers. But there are of course a whole lot of things about the Switch OS that are horribly bad and backwards compared to the consoles that precede it, the 3DS and Wii U particularly, so that should be no surprise.
That's because it has a battery. Power off has to be completely off unlike the PS4/XB1 where Power off is just a standby mode.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Guess I am also one of the abnormal persons, because I would also like to power off my switch with my controller, since I also turn off the entire power outlet if I don't actively use any of the consoles (as in, I am done and I turn it off). And if I don't play anything there it is indeed powered off for weeks/months.

Welp.
There is nothing wrong with that. OP's anger on the first page ("what is Nintendo thinking?????", lmao) had me laughing, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to save power or at least not wasting it on equipment that is on stand by. As ERA says: "options are good". An option to power off your Switch would be good too.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
some people on this forum have an unrealistic fixation on OpTiOnS
The problem is is that the option 100% exists it just requires a few extra seconds and feet of effort to use said option. Turning the Switch "off" is possible just not from a remote like the Op wants .

If you're not using it for weeks or months the battery will be drained completely anyway even when completely shut down as batteries drain over time. Even worse is leaving your battery completely drained is actually worse for the battery. So standby is better for the health of your battery. It sounds like you don't know how things work in 2020.

You do realize they have solutions for this where you don't need to grab multiple remotes anymore and can do that with a single press of a button to control your devices without killing the power to everything, right? What is this, the 1990s? It's weird how you went down a unusual path because you had crappy hardware and then blame the behavior of everyone else as being unusual. Hell, today, I don't even press a button to turn anything on or off anymore. You're the one living in the past, not everyone else, by you claiming they're dealing with 60s technology. You're right, it's 2020 so get with the times with how things work and what tech is available to you to do things like control everything from a single remote and turn things off with the touch of a button.
I hope they aren't just trolling cause this post should hopefully change their mind if it is actually their thought process.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Always felt weird for me that you can't properly turn the console off via the controller. I like to turn off all electronic devices when not using them, too. But based on the reactions in here it's like no one gives a damn about saving energy, lol. Don't tell me you all have multiple devices connected to your outlet strip and don't turn it off when not using it. Why wouldn't you, it literally saves money.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
While I don't turn everything off overnight I get why someone would especially if they're sleeping in the same room as a bunch of LED standby lights

What I don't understand is that the Switch doesn't have any lights in standby mode so how is that going to affect things?

A Switch in its own in standby mode in a dock with no power is not going to cause any form of fire risk.

OP talks about wanting to maintain the life of the product by not wanting to recharge the lost energy from a night in standby. The amount of energy lost on standby overnight on a Switch when a game isn't running might be 1%, 2 at a push. This isn't going to make much difference (if any) over the lifespan of a lithium battery compared to shutting the thing down completely every night. And the amount of money saved in the long run by doing things how OP likes is negligible (25 cents over three years has been mentioned earlier on the thread)

Added to this, the OP doesn't even use the Switch that often (once or twice a year was mentioned) so having it permanently connected to a home setup seems strange in the first place

So I just don't get it, unless OP just wants to complain about something. The option exists on the system itself but takes 5-10 seconds longer to activate than OP would like. But given OP's use case scenario I don't know why they'd want to even have it connected, let alone power it down or what benefit powering down every night would have compared to just leaving the Switch in standby in an unpowered dock?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's because it has a battery. Power off has to be completely off unlike the PS4/XB1 where Power off is just a standby mode.
Yep. PS4 and XBO just go in a very low standby state when choosing the shut down function so it can still detect the controllers to power them on. The systems are not truly shut all the way off. Since the Switch is a portable device, if you're shutting the system down, you're shutting it completely down to save on battery life.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Yeah, the option really should be there to power down from the controller. Kinda weird it's not, bu oh well.

What the hell is going on in this thread?

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Always felt weird for me that you can't properly turn the console off via the controller. I like to turn off all electronic devices when not using them, too. But based on the reactions in here it's like no one gives a damn about saving electricity, lol. Don't tell me you all have multiple devices connected to your outlet strip and don't turn it off when not using it. Why wouldn't you, it literally saves money.
You waste more energy turning it off.

imagine, would you like to put your switch on stand by and pick up where you left off, or

turn your switch on, have it losd up, turn your gsme on, hsve it load up. All that "on" time waiting to pick up where you last left off already burnt through your energy savings in standby.

now i can agree with turning xbox or ps4 off completely, cause those use wuite a bit more energy even in standby.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really that big of a deal? It takes 5 seconds to power it down on the power button. We have two consoles that gets used on one dock, so we're doing this all the time to not have the off-dock console dead between the swaps.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Always felt weird for me that you can't properly turn the console off via the controller. I like to turn off all electronic devices when not using them, too. But based on the reactions in here it's like no one gives a damn about saving electricity, lol. Don't tell me you all have multiple devices connected to your outlet strip and don't turn it off when not using it. Why wouldn't you, it literally saves money.
None of the consoles turn off completely unless you power them down and then unplug them from the wall or strip, or else you would not be able to turn them back on with controllers. it's a very low power state, much like sleep mode is designed to be for every device.

The switch is actually the only one that can be completey shut down since it runs on a battery. The battery will still drain somewhat though and over a long period could drain completely.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having the battery charged is better than having the battery completely drained for the health of the battery. Lithium Ion batteries don't like to be completely drained and leaving it disconnected from a power source for months or even weeks will leave the battery drained.
Yes, saying like that you are right, but you were answering to his concerns about home electrical consumption by a battery health remark, for me it's not accurate regarding his question. Same for my answer anout nomadic use, batteries are consumables parts of electronic.

Y'all should just understand that it's not clear for everyone that the Switch docked idle mode (without auto-update) is equivalent to the PS4/XB1 power-off, and even the weirdest reasons to ask for that option aren't unjustified (as the absence of it :D).

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the Switch would keep the usb port active while in standby in the dock. This way I could wake it with my DS4 by way of an 8bitdo adapter.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Well, no shit you can't turn it back on with the controller if you fully power it down? Do you want to turn it off fully or do you want it in sleep mode, make up your mind.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't use standby on any of my systems and do think it's a bit odd that there is no option to completely power down the Switch via controller.

However, I get that I'm in the minority here and am not gonna start screaming at people about this like the OP, lmao

EDIT: I goofed up, meant to say I don't use rest or sleep mode as opposed to standby.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, saying like that you are right, but you were answering to his concerns about home electrical consumption by a battery health remark, for me it's not accurate regarding his question. Same for my answer anout nomadic use, batteries are consumables parts of electronic.

Y'all should just understand that it's not clear for everyone that the Switch docked idle mode (without auto-update) is equivalent to the PS4/XB1 power-off, and even the weirdest reasons to ask for that option aren't unjustified (as the absence of it :D).

The poster was questioning what the benefit was and I'm replying with the benefit of keeping it regularly charged is good for the health of the battery. It's a perfectly valid point to point out that if they play the system infrequently, having it regularly charged versus leaving it drained frequently is a benefit for the battery life. This is literally what I was responding to:

What benefit do I have for it being in standby, draining battery and recharging itself every day/weeks when I'm not using it for weeks or months?

So I don't see how you can say it wasn't an accurate comment to make in response to what was stated.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't use standby on any of my systems and do think it's a bit odd that there is no option to completely power down the Switch via controller (or turn it on via pro controller).

Think about this for a second, if the Switch is completely powered off hence not in Sleep mode (aka Standby mode), how is the Switch going to receive a signal from the Pro Controller to turn on if there is no power running in the Switch at all?

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't use standby on any of my systems and do think it's a bit odd that there is no option to completely power down the Switch via controller (or turn it on via pro controller).

However, I get that I'm in the minority here and am not gonna start screaming at people about this like the OP, lmao
Besides it not using any relevant amount of power, even if the option existed, since the Switch is battery powered, it wouldn't have any way of being turned back on with a controller. It completely defeats the purpose of the feature.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I thought you could do this on the controller.
I'm now going to go home and try to.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Think about this for a second, if the Switch is completely powered off hence not in Sleep mode (aka Standby mode), how is the Switch going to receive a signal from the Pro Controller to turn on if there is no power running in the Switch at all?
Besides it not using any relevant amount of power, even if the option existed, since the Switch is battery powered, it wouldn't have any way of being turned back on with a controller. It completely defeats the purpose of the feature.
Whoops, this was just me being dumb since I leave it docked all the time, kinda makes me forget it's battery powered. Gonna edit my post so I don't wake up to more of this, lol

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I believe it's a hardware limitation - can you power on your Switch with the joycons removed from a completely "off" state? Just like cellphones, if the device is off, it's really off, and there's no way to allow communication with the joycons. When they're connected to the tablet, regardless if it's on or off, there's a high speed serial link over physical pins allowing the tablet to communicate with the joycons while at the same time not relying on Bluetooth connectivity.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

So you use the equivalent Rest mode for your consoles?

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
It's very strange to me that so many people leave their switch on standby all the time.
I always shut it off when I know I am done gaming for the day .

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't. I really don't know why I don't take advantage of the standby features. I honestly don't have much of a reason, it's just been a habit.
That is standby mode then. Rest/Sleep mode is different for PS4/XB1 as they use significantly more power while in it.
Standby mode still requires a power draw. The Switch doesn't really have that b/c it's Sleep mode isn't significantly more power usage than a standby mode b/c of it's mobile architecture. This is why Power Off for the Switch is different than it is for PS4/XB1. For the Switch, it would have to cut all power as it has a battery, for PS4/XB1 it goes into standby mode.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not unless you pull the plug from the socket you don't.
Then the console isn't completely powered off... You have it in standby.
That is standby mode then. Rest/Sleep mode is different for PS4/XB1 as they use significantly more power while in it.

Well, I royally goofed up in my post. Sorry for mixing up standby and rest terminology. I'm just gonna see myself out at this point.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really understand the discussion in this thread against OP. Why are people up in arms when every other console offers an option to do that ? It's a QOL feature and having an option to do that is great. Giving reasons to defend Nintendo doesn't make sense to me. I get it that they intend it to be used as a handheld, but I remember seeing multiple polls here and on IGN(iirc), which stated that majority use it as a docked console. So, definitely makes sense to have that option.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I've shut down my Switch exactly twice during its lifetime. Both times were to swap out microSD cards. The system uses an absolutely negligible amount of power in sleep mode. Like, a-couple-cents-per-year negligible.

This thread is one of the most embarrassing cases of "no I'M right and EVERYONE ELSE is wrong" I've ever seen. The sheer comic insignificance of the "issue" at hand really puts this one into the upper tiers.

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how OP is getting piled on for wanting to turn off an electronic device. Why is that such an alien concept.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I literally turn mine off completely after I'm not using it. It is god awful at maintaining battery on standby mode.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is actually a good point. I've not considered that angle.

Edit: maybe not from the comment above. I guess my PS4 controller does turn it on regardless of it being in sleep mode or off.
But your PS4 is actually still drawing a little bit of power even when "off" to search for this signal. Off on Switch is actually off 100% unlike PS4.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Man, you are fooled by the shut down PS4 option... Your PS4 is not completely shut down despite what that menu says, if it was you wouldn't be able to power it on with your controller. You basically are asking for Nintendo to change the menu text from sleep mode to shut down. The Switch can do much more in sleep mode than the PS4 for barely the same use of energy, it's just a much modern and optimized tech for power saving.

Your shut down PS4 consumes more energy going from that state to being powered on that your sleep mode Switch does going from that state to being powered on.

So, it's a pretty ridiculous complaint...

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
It's pretty stupid that they didn't include a way to turn it off remotely

Just get up and turn it off manually. Exercise those legs a little

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
My first gaming system was the ZX Spectrum which could only be powered off by unplugging the power cable. It had no power switch.