• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
This has happened to me with Darksiders III. I lost my disc and got it free on PS+, only it keeps asking me to insert the disc to play, with no option to download.

Is this normal?

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I think you can fix it by uninstalling the disc version and then redownloading the PSN version

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
As far as I know, they're two different "games". Did you install the digital version on top of the disc one or something? I have Fallout 4 in both disc and digital and they're totally not the same.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
Yes, it's one of the small reasons why my Xbox is my main console now. First time that happened I was like, "you mean I have to un-install this game to play it digital?" I was heated.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
It's also kinda dumb that it still does the full install when you have a disc version. I get that it's because blurays are slow, but it's still pretty annoying

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
This has happened to me with Darksiders III. I lost my disc and got it free on PS+, only it keeps asking me to insert the disc to play, with no option to download.

Is this normal?
It gets better. If you buy the GOTY version of a game with all the dlc bundled, you will still have to install the new GOTY disc. And your saves won't transfer.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember TLOU prompted me to convert the disc license to a digital one all on it's own. Maybe not all titles support this.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i forget which game it was but i downloaded the digital version and my save didn't work with the game. why would they make it so the disc save doesn't work with the digital version? i remember being super pissed.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's even more fun when save games aren't compatible.
Yeah, I hope Sony fix this next gen. One of the things MS got right.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i forget which game it was but i downloaded the digital version and my save didn't work with the game. why would they make it so the disc save doesn't work with the digital version? i remember being super pissed.
Save file name differs by region and if physical or not. It looking for a filename to match itself. Though some games recognise both so I guess it is down to devs making it so.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

This happened with me, had a physical copy of Monster Hunter World with over 100 hours played, bought the digital copy with Iceborne and had to start again from scratch.

Also region locking saves, region locking DLC for region free games etc are other points that have really put me off of PlayStation. Ironically Nintendo is by far the best when it comes to region free gaming and dlc compatibility

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Also region locking saves, region locking DLC for region free games etc are other points that have really put me off of PlayStation.

The games may be "region free", but when you publish a game for Playstation, you are still making at least 3 different SKUs that will not be compatible with one another even though they are exactly the same. One for NA, one for EU, and one for Asia / JP. If you have bought the EU SKU of whatever game from somewhere, and then try to buy an NA based DLC for it, it wouldn't work, at least it didn't last time I worked with this stuff.

Hopefully with next gen they will revisit their publishing and cert processes, not fun having at least 6 different SKUs for a base game on PS (3 physical and 3 digital). MS and PC platforms in comparison have just 1.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
I'll never forget playing mostly through Shadow of Mordor, buying the complete edition digitally, giving my disc away and my save now carrying over.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

happened to me with Friday the 13th. Could not be assed starting again and I sold the physical after they put it on PS+.

some devs just make separate versions for physical and digital which I find really frustrating tbh. Maybe a handover from the PS3 era as games had to have separate physical and digital versions.

Oct 30, 2017
Yea, that depends on the game tho, right?

Like the Witcher 3 complete edition isnt compatible with the base Witcher 3.

Something like that, yeah. I had a physical TW3 save and I believe I bought the GotY version digitally. But I think I also didn't have a save when I bought Horizon digitally, eventhough I had started that game with a physical copy at some point. Could be wrong though.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, this is it.

Your save games will transfer over. Mostly.
I can't believe Sony hasn't fixed stuff like this already. My EU Uncharted 2 save wasn't compatible with the Platinum version of the same game back in the day.

Nintendo is excellent with this by the way as the Eshop won't even let you buy the game on a different region Eshop if it is the same SKU. That makes it easy to see if dlc etc is compatible over regions.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
It gets better. If you buy the GOTY version of a game with all the dlc bundled, you will still have to install the new GOTY disc. And your saves won't transfer.
Similar problem: if you have the GOTY X360 version of Assassin's Creed II, if you play it on the Xbox One BC it will download the base game + DLC, but your savegame won't be compatible. The same copy of the game.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Lol... Are you serious?

I am. I had beaten spider-man, and got the GOTY edition. I used the code included in the box to download the dlc....which was not compatible and would not show up in my game. So i installed the GOTY disc. This led to two identical copies of spider-man being installed on my hdd. Thebonly difference between them being that the dlc would be available in one, but my saved games would not.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
On the flip side, I didn't realize that Xbox DOESN'T make you do this... I guess I never double dipped on an Xbox title (or I just deleted it first out of habit).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I am. I had beaten spider-man, and got the GOTY edition. I used the code included in the box to download the dlc....which was not compatible and would not show up in my game. So i installed the GOTY disc. This led to two identical copies of spider-man being installed on my hdd. Thebonly difference between them being that the dlc would be available in one, but my saved games would not.

What a weird system oversight

Great example of a user experience "Bug" that system designers would characterize as a "feature." Like, all users will experience this as a bug, but all developers would think changing it is a "feature" because it's implemented as designed.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
When have saves ever not been compatible between digital and disc? Aside from Witcher 3 GOTY with Witcher 3 original, which I assume applies to new disc vs old disc too.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
That's such poor planning... I had the exact same issue occur with Splinter Cell: Blacklist on my PS3. I honestly thought they had gotten rid of that issue when they moved to PS4 but I guess not. I guess it explains why the store doesn't show me owning the GOTY editions even though I own the base game and DLC.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
What a weird system oversight

Great example of a user experience "Bug" that system designers would characterize as a "feature." Like, all users will experience this as a bug, but all developers would think changing it is a "feature" because it's implemented as designed.

It was especially weird coming over form xbox where retail discs, online purchases, game pass and games with gold are all the exact same sku. I wonder if that quasi steambox setup they originally had for the thing made that easier to pull off?

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was especially weird coming over form xbox where retail discs, online purchases, game pass and games with gold are all the exact same sku. I wonder if that quasi steambox setup they originally had for the thing made that easier to pull off?

Don't forget that, if you are on plus, you are unable to buy digital games of plus gived games you have claimed.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Yea it does kind of suck, seems like you shouldn't have to redownload the whole thing again if the data is like 99.9% similar - but you do. I've converted almost all my physical games to digital during various psn sales which is about 30+ and haven't run into an issue where a save didn't work across the games.