• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got back in to Fallout 76. If you want to know how it feels while you're playing it, imagine Red Dead 2 Online without the PvP and without any of the towns.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I last played a month or two ago and it was okay at best. Not really worth my time over other good games, but it was worth the $3 I paid for it.

3 bucks? I'd give it a shot for sure at that price point.

For people that played it... The video by Noah Gervais led me to believe there's actually some interesting stuff lore-wise in the game, is there much of it? Can that be enjoyed while playing on your own? (I don't really have any friends that like Fallout/Can play it on PC)

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Some people are saying they are improving and making strides in this game, is is actually worth playing now?
I actually liked Fallout 4 and I did think some ideas they had showed prior to release were interesting, but then it came out with so many problems and it made me forget it.

Posting here is probably the wrong place since so many people have a massive hate boner for 76. They've added quite a bit and they've done a good job at sticking to their roadmap. The 76 community on Reddit is pretty strong and I recommend checking them out.

OP
OP
Troast

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I feel like this is a game that's difficult to get an honest opinion on at this point. The people who stuck with it and liked it enough from the start will obviously say it's improved. But what standards are we talking here? Game still looks absolutely dreadful to my eyes. Then again, I haven't played it lately myself. The recent videos I've seen don't make it look like it's changed much but I don't know what details to look for in the first place, nor does it look different enough to be able to tell at a glance.

From these replies I am still at this point. What I need is that $3 entry value where I can't really lose, but I missed that deal.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I obviously don't follow the game enough because I was unaware of the repair kits. But I just found the quote below which I find to be very, well... interesting.
""Repair Kits are new utility items that will help you spend more time looting and shooting, and less time toiling away at a workbench fixing your gear," Bethesda announced in its latest Inside the Vault post updating players on the state of the game. "We've received lots of requests for Repair Kits, and we're excited to add them in the weeks following Patch 8." "
So Bethesda themselves think the need to repair items is 'toiling away at a workbench' so instead of just removing that aspect or changing it to something they feel is more 'fun', they wanna sell you an item to make it a non-issue. Yup, don't like that. And these requests for repair kits, were people actually asking about an item that didn't exist, or just not having to deal with it?

I know the above isn't an actual answer to the OP's question, but I think it does offer something that might make the decision easier - kind of like Jim's video posted earlier.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I finished* it a month and a half ago (my friend and I were essentially engaging in mutual torture). At that point it was still an awful, awful, awful game. Like, one of the worst I have ever played. I know that sounds like hyperbole. I get that. But it really isn't. Fallout 76 legitimately has an inflated Metacritic score. It is uniquely tedious and bad.

*By "finished" I mean that I completed the main path.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? Did they remove repair kits from the real money shop?
ROFL. I mean... no, I think repair kits are still in the shop. But that's not an "I win" button, lol. It's just repair kits. Affects gameplay, which is garbage, but hardly anything substantial. Not like you can just pay money to get the best look and bypass the core aspects of the gameplay.... (yet).

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Good is a pretty strong word. It's more like they have a clear commitment to improving the game, and they've refined their community engagement after all of the backlash they've received over the months.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
From these replies I am still at this point. What I need is that $3 entry value where I can't really lose, but I missed that deal.
I wouldn't say that it is good now, but it's definitely a lot better than it used to be... If you have some friends to play with and can get it cheap, you'll have some fun with it. It's definitely noticeably more boring to get your story from robots and holotapes instead of people (which is a shame because some of it is actually good shit, but having to read it in a terminal or listen to it on a holotape takes SO much away from it). Also, only having towns with robots or enemies isn't the most awe-inspiring thing. But there is a lot of enemy diversity and certainly no shortage of enemies which makes the plethora of weapons and armors fun. I haven't played it since the first content add they did. I'm waiting until they've had a few more so there will be more than just 1 more thing to do.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
What? Did they remove repair kits from the real money shop?
Repair kits are not pay to win? as you can easily repair things with the plentiful resources available in the world without grinding.
Having armors and weapons in full repair is not a rare thing nor does it give you any sort of real advantage within the game. So, no, it's not pay to win. (wasn't sure which side of the argument you were on there because of the ? ,so I was just pushing the point)

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
ROFL. I mean... no, I think repair kits are still in the shop. But that's not an "I win" button, lol. It's just repair kits. Affects gameplay, which is garbage, but hardly anything substantial. Not like you can just pay money to get the best look and bypass the core aspects of the gameplay.... (yet).
Repair kits are not pay to win? as you can easily repair things with the plentiful resources available in the world without grinding.
From what I'm reading is that this could allow people to engage in PVP with an advantage to repair instantly giving them an edge over the other player(s). Is that true in that scenario or is it not that simple?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
For people that played it... The video by Noah Gervais led me to believe there's actually some interesting stuff lore-wise in the game, is there much of it? Can that be enjoyed while playing on your own? (I don't really have any friends that like Fallout/Can play it on PC)

yeah imo it's better to play alone if you want to explore the world/lore at your own pace. of course gameplay itself will be funner with friends but that applies to any game

Last edited:

banter

Jan 12, 2018
From what I'm reading is that this could allow people to engage in PVP with an advantage to repair instantly giving them an edge over the other player(s). Is that true in that scenario or is it not that simple?
It's not that simple. In the time that you'd be in the menu attempting to repair, you'd be killed. Also, PVP is not a key "winning" point of the game. Also repairing armor isn't like health. You can still die with fully repaired armor.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I wouldn't call it good, but the updates have been frequent and they've hit all their roadmap benchmarks without delay. So I think there is some promise. A couple of the updates have been legitimately entertaining (Sheepsquatch, Pioneer Scouts) but others have been really grindy loot dumps (Burrows aka ghoul hall, the Pharma horde mode) or minor/inconsequential/forgettable (booze, the Parade).

Mostly I'm just waiting for a Vault to open up.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Having armors and weapons in full repair is not a rare thing nor does it give you any sort of real advantage within the game. So, no, it's not pay to win. (wasn't sure which side of the argument you were on there because of the ? ,so I was just pushing the point)
Mis typed but agree it is not pay to win its more for impatient people really. Now if they made it to where they doubled or tripled resource costs and changed every items durability to make it worse. Then i would say.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most the people parroting outrage artists on youtube and saying no probably aren't playing it and perhaps never played it.

I think it's an OK game, and they're improving it. It has something a game like Anthem absolutely doesn't have, though, and that's a feeling of progress and hope. They aren't slowing down.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that simple. In the time that you'd be in the menu attempting to repair, you'd be killed. Also, PVP is not a key "winning" point of the game.

Does it have a key winning point? If so, I played it for dozens of hours and I didn't encounter it...

Maybe that it brings people together due to mutual suffering?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
It's not that simple. In the time that you'd be in the menu attempting to repair, you'd be killed. Also, PVP is not a key "winning" point of the game. Also repairing armor isn't like health. You can still die with fully repaired armor.
I've only ever known the term P2W to really be used in games where there was a competitive component. So to me, in this game, PVP would be the only type of 'win' I could see. I guess outright buying the best gear would also be P2W so maybe PVP in this game is pretty pointless and gives no major rewards to the winners.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
On a standard server, PvP is entirely opt in. Attackers barely do damage to someone they're targeting unless the target chooses to reciprocate.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Foliage and grass remain after a nuclear bomb goes off on top of them. That's inexcusable in 2019, even for(and especially for) a Fallout game.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

The hardcores on reddit. They'll flay you if you talk badly about the game.

It is a fine time waster, but absolutely nothing special. If you loooooved fo4 basebuilding and you love having 20 different card setups you need to manually switch (card by card) depending on circumstance, and you really like grinding comtent to get better gear rolls, then give it a go.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
3 bucks? I'd give it a shot for sure at that price point.

There is, and it can. Keep expectations low and you'll be ok.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
Perks are RNG things based on perk card packs. You cant just build for a stat anymore and if you did good luck getting the thing you're after in an rng card pack.
I dont believe you can buy perk card packs with real money yet but you can with caps and folks are trading and buying them from other players and sites to buy perk card packs. Ive seen a couple places selling caps by the thousands. Plus the economy is fucked in the game as everything is cap expensive. Bases are loaded with shop items you can buy with caps to build with and folks are going in on that as well.

All they did was add an extra step. Oh we wont let you buy rng card packs that way we wont be lootboxing. We'll just force you to find ways to buy funbucks to do it instead.
WOW.
I'm simply atonished by the high level of bullshit you just wrote. That's can't be real.
Stop watching clickbait YT videos and just *please* play the actual game to see how wrong you are.
There no P2W mechanism AT ALL in the game (only "repair kit" can be subject to discussion, moreover you can get a better version of this item ingame and FOR FREE).
WOW, seriously, can't believe this post.
No surprised that FO76 is doomed with this kind of "urban legend".
Though, there are many others gameplay problems BUT NOT THIS.

I haven't heard that it's actually P2W now but didn't they say only cosmetic items in the shop and then that turned out to be a lie?
No, don't listen to bullshit please.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart

If you enjoyed exploring the world in F3 & F4 you would probably enjoy this. I played it mostly on my own, and when I did play with others it was only ever briefly and with strangers. They were also helpful.

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
I paid 13$ for my copy and still enjoy playing it in short sessions

I like that they continue to support it with bi-weekly patches. Let's see what gets announced in E3

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's relevant at all, but if you're looking for an MMO, Elder Scrolls Online would serve you much better.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia

I haven't actually played Fallout 76 at all, so honestly, I have no idea. But I thought the gif would be funny so I made it anyway.