• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Well...

People have been begging Sony for eons for this to happen and instead we got PS Classic mini console and a few ports from other devs or bonus like in MediEvil PS4. And I'm just wondering if this is even gonna happen for the PS5, let alone the fact that it didn't for the PS4 (not counting PS1 remakes or ported remasters)
I don't see a BC of titles before PS4. We know PSN+ won't have PS5 titles for a long time, but I think they can do exactly what Nintendo has done with NES and SUPER NES.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah it sucks

If you have your old discs or if you want to pick them up and rip them you can play PS1 games pretty well on a Retro Pi

I have a DS3 and a Pi hooked up next to my PS4 and it does the trick for PS1 games

Playing Breath of Fire IV at the moment

Embracing emulation is probably the best bet seeing as Sony and Nintendo seem to offer only the barest of bones when it comes to their classic games

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
So, buying old games has died in favor of buying old games.
In the past we got FF7 for $10 and now we have an enhanced PS4 version for $16 and the upcoming remake. Now companies are selling new versions of the games that used to be classic or vc titles because there's more money in new releases.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
In the past we got FF7 for $10 and now we have an enhanced PS4 version for $16
I cannot put enough quotation marks on "enhanced". Especially when FF9 and FF8 are worse than the original PS1 releases.

It's still FF7. Completely indistinguishable to the casual retrogamer or the nostalgic who could buy it on his PSVita or on his Switch.

The only difference to the user is that there isn't anymore any "name" on top of the digital store.

What's the difference between buying X360 games on Xbox One today, and buy them under a "Xbox 360 Virtual Console" section of the store?

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Did I hear that the PS5 was going to be fully backwards compatible (except maybe PS3)? God I hope so. I have like 70 PS1 games on my shelf.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot put enough quotation marks on "enhanced". Especially when FF9 and FF8 are worse than the original PS1 releases.

It's still FF7. Completely indistinguishable to the casual retrogamer or the nostalgic who could buy it on his PSVita or on his Switch.

The only difference to the user is that there isn't anymore any "name" on top of the digital store.

What's the difference between buying X360 games on Xbox One today, and buy them under a "Xbox 360 Virtual Console" section of the store?
They treat it as a new release of the game with a higher resolution and trophies so they can increase interest and sell it at a higher price, which was my point.

Xbox has it's BC, but all classic titles being released now is either a collection, a remaster, or a remake for money reasons.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Did I hear that the PS5 was going to be fully backwards compatible (except maybe PS3)? God I hope so. I have like 70 PS1 games on my shelf.
Nothing indicates that this is true (or false) except for fake bullet point leaks on the internet. Sony has only commented on PS4 and PS VR BC. I personally strongly doubt it will get physical BC with PS1 games but compatibility with the PSN Classics library might not be completely impossible. We'll have to wait and see.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the longest time I thought they would release an emulator later into PS4's life..........

I hope they bring it back for PS5, and dont have the weirdness of the PS3's emulator where some games with have some horrible smooth filter over them, seemingly without any obvious reason. I could load up the digital version of 1 game, and have it look sharp and crisp, then load up a physical version and have this filter smearing it, and vice versa.

Sort it out Sony.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Why not?

And here I was refusing to buy Switch Online because its lack of a catalog, now I find out that for some reason I can't play Alundra on the PS4 once I get one?
Alundra was the one game I was most looking forward to buying on PS4 too! I slowly gave up hope over the years, until now there is none.

You can do it, PS5! Full backwards compatibility!

FanceeLadd

Jan 17, 2020
If it made Sony enough money to warrant the resources to work out the licenses all over again as well as the technology, I'm sure they'd have been all over it. In reality, there probably isn't much demand for those games among more casual gamers for it to be worth it for Sony. Their focus during the current gen has really been more on AAA blockbuster titles; even the interest in indie games they started to cultivate during the PS3 era has mostly fallen by the wayside. They're certainly still being put out there in the PSN store, but you won't hear much about them from Sony. But hey, that's what the Switch is for anyway. (I say that as someone who owns both systems.) If only we could get PSClassics on the Switch...

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Why not?

And here I was refusing to buy Switch Online because its lack of a catalog, now I find out that for some reason I can't play Alundra on the PS4 once I get one?

Yeah I get mad at nintendo for drip feeding their catalogue but top be fair at least it is available (and NSO is a very reasonable price for it too really).

This doesnt personally bother me on PS as I still have a PS2 hooked up but now I think about it - its madness they havn't even done a 'classic collection' type thing as a stand alone disc

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I want ps1/2/3 bc, I just don't see them doing it properly, or sticking with it in the long run. At this point, I'd rather get collections/compilations for better preservation.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because they wanted every single game license you purchased on the PS3 to be ignored with an option to buy the games again.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
Main reason I'd like to know ps5 details, I really would like to play Psone games and godhand again, I'm gonna get a ps3 again soon if I don't hear those deets.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
The classic/virtual console model is dead in favor of collections, remasters, and now BC.

The PS4 has PS2 classics, but releases died off after 2017.

I enjoyed playing through Dark Cloud again and grabbing that Platinum.

Those releases sure didn't last long though, lol

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It doesn't change the optics if he's talking Gran Turismo, alias arguably the best selling and top rated PS1 game of all time.

It's not if. He was. It's in the article posted, just conveniently left out whenever users bring it up. And it absolutely does change the optics.

He was talking about older games and BC. It says so in the article. Gran Turismo is the example he used, but he was referring to old games in general as far as I am aware.
He was at a Gran Turismo event AFAIK.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's not if. He was. It's in the article posted, just conveniently left out whenever users bring it up. And it absolutely does change the optics.

Dude, how does that change anything about what he said? It doesn't matter what game he used as his example, what he said was the same. He was clearly deliberately badmouthing older games, likely due to PS4's inability to play them, which tells me that neither he or Sony have any real plans for older games on current hardware, and want it to be known they don't view BC for older PS Consoles as something of any importance.

That was my takeaway from this, and if it isn't what he meant (I still don't understand what else you could even take from his statements), it was a very poor statement that clearly left a bad impression on many people who do care about this stuff. Thus far, Sony's actions have not shown that they believe any differently than he does, or that old games matter at all beyond the occasional remake. Maybe things could change, but I really, really doubt it.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The PS1 is notorious for being the hardest system to emulate, even the most high end gaming pc's struggle to get a stable frame rate so it definitely has nothing to do with licensing or Sony deliberately withholding development of a classics platform and sales of PS1 games because they wanted to jump on the mini console train. /s

ONLY THE PS3 IS POWERFUL ENOUGH TO EMULATE PS1 GAMES

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

Here's the full quote from the original Time magazine article the n4g article was based on.

https://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/
Another concern occasionally raised by PlayStation devotees involves the company's once-ubiquitous PlayStation 2. While Sony has in recent years devoted resources to bringing a handful of popular older titles to the PlayStation 4, the better part of that library is lost to time. For now, it seems that's where it'll remain. "When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," says Ryan. "That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"
It changes nothing, he's using Gran Turismo as an example to justify Sony's position on BC, it's not an out-of-context comment on old Gran Turismo games. Gran Turismo is probably the least interesting game I can think of for BC, there's a lot of PS1 and PS2 games that aged far, far better that don't have fairly direct modern equivalents.

There's a lot going on with Jim Ryan's quote there. "Dabbled"? I'm a bit surprised he's admitting Sony didn't try hard last time**, actual higher quality rendering, like MS is doing would probably help. "Much requested but not actually used much"... okay, the last time Sony had "dabbled" with BC was the launch PS3; PS2 games kicked the system off PSN iirc, and most people thought the removal of PS2 BC removed PS1 BC. I'm not sure I believe an off-hand "no one actually uses it" remark from an exec that bags on his own company's old games in his next sentence.

**They apparently put tons of resources into PS2 BC on the PS3, the results just weren't great.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
At this point you're probably gonna get a PS3 Slim with 250+ GB storage for the same price. I'd argue that the PS Triple also has a more appealing native library to the average PS4 owner. Not to mention the PS2-on-PS3 library is pretty legit. The PS TV plays no PS2 games.

Last edited:

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Sony decided that ever game playable on PS4 must have trophies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm going to make a prediction.

Sony will announce that PS1 Classics are returning on PS5 and anything you've already purchased will be available -- and they will add Trophies for first party games, while working with third parties to add Trophies to the most iconic ones.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Has nothing to do with licensing. If it was pure licensing, it wouldn't be an issue to simply allow playing PS1 games using the disc drive. It's cause they don't want to spend effort on an emulator and prefer to resell the titles as ports individually at higher prices.

That's a hell of an assumption, considering as an analogy you cant throw any old OG Xbox or 360 game in an XB1 and play it despite how awesome their BC program/emulator is

If Sony makes an emulator, stuff has to be tested. If stuff has to be tested, they would probably need to work out licensing, no? Makes more sense than "they could just let you put a disc in and it will work" even though there isnt a PS1 board in the PS4

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
That's a hell of an assumption, considering as an analogy you cant throw any old OG Xbox or 360 game in an XB1 and play it despite how awesome their BC program/emulator is

If Sony makes an emulator, stuff has to be tested. If stuff has to be tested, they would probably need to work out licensing, no? Makes more sense than "they could just let you put a disc in and it will work" even though there isnt a PS1 board in the PS4
The XB1 BC is different since it requires a download of an altered game executable to work, MS isn't actually emulating the games in real-time from what everything their technical interviews have said. Because it needs a download of something MS altered from the game, it requires licensing approval. I'm hoping the CPU in the XSX will be strong enough so they don't need to do that any more.

PS1 games don't require a download to emulate, there's been PS1 emulators since the Dreamcast.

"they could just let you put a disc in and it will work"
That's exactly how the PS3 emulated PS1 games; that was a software emulator. Every PS3 can play any PS1 game from the right region, excepting exotic accessory requirements or bugs. Internal testing does not require licensing, only distribution does. Enabling disc playback is not distribution, it's why Bleemcast was legal, and why the Polymega would be legal if it ever comes out, both of those play PS1 discs with zero licensing.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
At this point you're probably gonna get a PS3 Slim with 250+ GB storage for the same price. I'd argue that the PS Triple also has a more appealing native library to the average PS4 owner. Not to mention the PS2-on-PS3 library is pretty legit. The PS TV plays no PS2 games.

Yeah this makes complete sense. I'd go with this.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony not announcing PSOne games for PS4 this gen made my interest in their brand drop every time a conference went by with no mention. I'm at an all time low with my engagement with a Sony system and I wish they just bring BC back... the PSOne Classic was a smack in the face.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
ONLY THE PS3 IS POWERFUL ENOUGH TO EMULATE PS1 GAMES
Jokes aside, I've read that the PS3 and PSP use a partially hardware solution for BC, and that's why Sony went to PCSX-Rearmed for the PS Classic Mini.

And I think not enough people speak about their PS2-on-PS4 emulator: it's faaaaar from perfect.

It's not if. He was. It's in the article posted, just conveniently left out whenever users bring it up. And it absolutely does change the optics..
"It doesn't change the optics that he's talking about Gran Turismo, alias arguably the best selling and top rated PS1 game of all time. "

Does it change anything?

Last edited:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
The classic/virtual console model is dead in favor of collections, remasters, and now BC.

This would be great if there actually were more collections. I get that a remake like Medievil will take a lot of time, but how hard can it be to slap a dozen PS1 games on a PS4 disc and put that on store shelves?

It would be really great to see some kind of "Playstation Classic Collection" physical disc series. That way it wouldn't be limited to only digital releases.