• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Chicken especially is best not washed.

All you do is spill the bacteria all over.

... well fuck. I eat a ton of chicken breast and thigh. I never had any idea. I religiously wash the meat before drying and seasoning.

Damn. Got it from my parents too. I wonder what they will say when I tell them about this.

One less step in the kitchen though, so its kind of a bonus timewise.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
So…clean your entire kitchen every time you cook meat? And you've got separate rags for the meat and general cleaning, right? Because "washing" your sink and counter and backplate isn't going to do jack fucking shit if you're not using a towel/rag either. Congrats, you now have a towel/rag thats dripping wet with chicken juice. Where do you put that? In the hamper with your other towels? Or you just use paper towels and spend $ each time to "wash" your kitchen.

Or. Just don't wash your chicken.

Two very difficult choices
lol you have put a lot of thought into this based on the set up of your kitchen.

people have sponges soaps, multiple rags, towels, and "soaked in chicken juice"? I dunno how you wash things but, lmao, no.

this is literally the 3rd or 4th thread, maybe even 5th.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I just want to point out how staggeringly anti-science some posters come off in order to defend X or Y belief in this thread.
i know people like to unload responsibility and just lean back into government guidelines, but the people who wash their meats have been taking proactive responsibility for their own wellbeing for longer, since before the government made an attempt to care.
Like this is a stunning display of mental gymnastics. Am I in the twilight fucking zone?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If it's frozen I'm thawing meat either in the fridge overnight or in a bowl of cold water for a bit.

Regardless of washing, I'm pouring that thaw water into the kitchen sink. And yes, it's contaminating the sink. So my cleanup includes: Disinfecting my sink. Which I always do after cooking. But that's just me. I don't cook with a sink full of dirty dishes so it's literally just an empty sink. And I don't throw the water into the sink w/ backsplash everywhere. I slowly pour it close to the drain. I've been doing this for decades.

Shout out to bleach. And cold water.

Regardless, ya'll should be cleaning your kitchen sinks (all your sinks, really) regularly.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wash my meat in the shower while pissing down my leg to save time

Look at all of these inefficient motherfuckers in this thread

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If it's frozen I'm thawing meat either in the fridge overnight or in a bowl of cold water for a bit.

Regardless of washing, I'm pouring that thaw water into the kitchen sink. And yes, it's contaminating the sink. So my cleanup includes: Disinfecting my sink. Which I always do after cooking. But that's just me. I don't cook with a sink full of dirty dishes so it's literally just an empty sink. And I don't throw the water into the sink w/ backsplash everywhere. I slowly pour it close to the drain. I've been doing this for decades.

Shout out to bleach. And cold water.

Regardless, ya'll should be cleaning your kitchen sinks (all your sinks, really) regularly.
The master of cleanliness. Invite me over for dinner some time por favor.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
meat slime is only as gross as the meat it emerged from

and all meat is a little gross

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
This is definitely a culture gap. Most Black people I've been around wash their meat before cooking it, likely stemming from the fact that we've always been served bad/unsanitary/unpopular cuts, and thus would have to find ways to prevent illness, hence the practice of washing. White people don't have to worry about shit like that; y'all will eat grey-ass meat from two years ago so long as it's been in the freezer all that time.

This could be it.

Anecdotally, as a white person who only grew up around and knows non-white people, I've never heard of anyone washing their meat. I didn't know it was a thing until I worked at restaurants and was taught it's fairly common.

Do you not wash out your sink?

The problem is that the bacteria doesn't just go into the sink. It goes everywhere.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Like I kind of get it, but you know it doesn't rinse the inside of the meat right? So the heat thats cleaning the inside can also clean the outside?

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Just literally asked 10+ people in my breakroom ,while I'm eating lunch, this question and they all wash their chicken too 😁

Just means they're wrong.

No restaurant washes their meat like that unless they did their own butchering but even then it's only in specific areas of the animal.

You can pat dry your meat

Oct 29, 2017
People who wash meat blow my mind. Ignoring science is cool to them, I guess?

Do they not realize what COOKING MEAT does to germs?

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
I also love the astounding leap from not washing meat means you literally never wash your kitchen.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
Really? No Mcdonalds, no Subway, no Applebee's, literally no food outside of your home?

Fucking gross, that shits not food.
I did not say no food from outside my home.
But I do go into it knowing what the possibilities are.
Just like if I eat some nasty Popeyes chicken once or twice a year, it may taste good but I know its nasty.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
americans washing meat, americans putting eggs in the fridge

what you guys doing there lol

(i know why you put eggs in fridge i learned that a while ago, because you chemically treat them before they put on shelves. which i find wild because it's not necessary because the egg shell itself is one of nature's best packages, which is why eggs in germany are not sold refrigerated and don't need to be stored so at home)

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
My fellow White people: You gotta stop being so dang condescending in your replies. Yes, washing raw meat is scientifically more dangerous than not washing it. But it's not nearly as risky as some of you are making it out to be. Cultural habits are very hard to overcome and being a dick about it won't help.

Fuck man. Like I know eating raw cookie dough is scientifically a bad idea but I'm still doing to do it because that shits delicious. It doesn't make me anti science. I'm just weighing the personal risks.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking gross, that shits not food.
I did not say no food from outside my home.
But I do go into it knowing what the possibilities are.
Just like if I eat some nasty Popeyes chicken once or twice a year, it may taste good but I know its nasty.

Ok, well whatever food you do eat from outside your home/that's not cooked by you, it's never washed

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
When i'm cooking tacos i'll wash my cooked ground beef before adding the seasoning, but this sounds crazy

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
americans washing meat, americans putting eggs in the fridge

what you guys doing there lol
The eggs in the fridge thing in America is necessary at least due to the way they are cleaned over there. The washing meat thing seems to come primarily from a cultural thing from communities who were traditionally unable to obtain quality meat for various reasons (structural racism). Someone in this thread posted how their mother found metal shavings on their meat and that's why they wash it. So it seems to be less about 'killing germs' and more removing potential cross contaminants.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
How you think folks be washing? You put it at the package at the bottom of the sink. Unwrap and wash, then put them in a tray beside the sink. Who is slinging wet chicken around?

…that still allows bacteria to get on the bottom of the sink and then spread from there.

Thank goodness for the CDC.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I have never washed or dried it. I dont think I've ever seen anyone do that.

And I had no idea it was best not to wash it. Damn, lol.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't figure out if this is a meme or not. If people are actually taking meat and attempting to wash it with like, soap and water or whatnot.
nah, just generally putting most of your butchered raw meats into some water or water/acid solution for a period. From running a steak under some water to wash the blood and grit off, to putting some chicken wings in a ziplock bag and adding some water and half cup white vinegar to soak for an hour.

I'm sure we've all seen the video of the basket of chicken and the sink on full blast spraying water everywhere, and i just want to know who the fuck does that? It's like those videos of the man who can't eat popcorn without spilling it all over his living room.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I have literally never heard of washing meat.

What's next, opening a packet of crisps and washing them before eating?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
if you wash your chicken i hate you

and you're also probably contaminating the shit out of your sink area
I mean, when I put my cutting board and knife into the sink, I'm contaminating the sink area already, so I don't see how it really makes much of a difference. Same with the counter top, when I'm cutting up the chicken stuff might not always go from the cutting board directly to the prep tray (usually paper plates for me) so I have to clean the counter top anyway.

Regardless though, I don't really wash any meat unless I'm cooking turkey legs or bone in, skin on breast meat in the oven. The water getting under the skin helps it stay nice and moist without doing tons of prep work and it helps the meat taste better as well

…that still allows bacteria to get on the bottom of the sink and then spread from there.

Thank goodness for the CDC.
I mean, bacteria from the cutting board and knife still allows it to get to the sink and spread, no?

I always sanitize my sink by rinsing with boiling water and then washing it with the sponge I use to wash dishes (and dish soap, obviously) so it doesn't really impact me much anyway. Always been extremely cautious about cross contamination and food poisoning

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
My fellow White people: You gotta stop being so dang condescending in your replies. Yes, washing raw meat is scientifically more dangerous than not washing it. But it's not nearly as risky as some of you are making it out to be. Cultural habits are very hard to overcome and being a dick about it won't help.

Fuck man. Like I know eating raw cookie dough is scientifically a bad idea but I'm still doing to do it because that shits delicious. It doesn't make me anti science. I'm just weighing the personal risks.

Man I think I should've died thousands of times by now by how white people are replying here.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It kind of goes both ways though. Tons of posters trying to make non-washers feel like they're somehow dirty or unclean because they're not washing meat or chicken before cooking it.