• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
In that case I can sell you a rock that if you hold it, you won't get sick. Trust me, every time I've held it I haven't gotten sick so I know it protects you.

I'm pretty sure that if you would look at meat sold in open market places you wouldn't feel safe by just cooking it

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
I don't wash my meat as I've always understood that to be unsanitary. The only thing I've heard that you should wash is rice, but I believe this depends on the type of rice.

TBH, I don't season my meat either anymore as I've come to prefer the taste of various sauces (i.e. steak sauce or bbq) which come with enough salt/seasoning on their own IMO.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I don't wash any meat but I do always make sure it's dried as it helps get that crisp exterior and removes the external moisture that can lead to steaming.

Dry
Oil
Season
Check out Alton Brown's recipe for whole chicken in the oven. He even forgoes the oil "because it's wet." He's somehow correct lmao

Alton Brown is the man for simple recipes that you can go anywhere with on your own. Love.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I used to only because thats the way my family learned how to do it. I stopped one day because it seemed pointless and then later found out it can encourage contamination. I still season but never rinse the meat

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
This is an old school thing.

Mom told me years ago that rinsing was good for removing anything the butchers might have put on it. Several times she removed small bits of metal shavings because they did not care about black people's food way back then.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
It's like some people don't realise that raw meat is saturated with bacteria. The outside might be squeaky clean and disinfected with bleach, but you're still holding a disease bomb until it's cooked.

Edit: Just read the post above. Of course this would turn out to be a white privilege thing. Black people got different meat, because racist butchers probably covered their food in grime on purpose. Fucking facepalm. I am so sorry you folks have to live with this fucking legacy of abuse.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Our family has washed the meat before cooking for generations. I didnt even know it was a thing to not wash the meat, that sounds pretty gross to me.

We're south asian and its the same for us. I dont know anyone in the community that doesnt rinse the meat before cooking lol.
Yeah everyone in my family always washed.

I think some of it is def cultural.

Oct 27, 2017
No, don't wash your meat. The only thing you're going to accomplish is spreading bacteria.
And what grime? Are you dragging your meat through the yard before cooking it?

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Man some of you would die of food poisoning if you were left to fend for yourself in the woods lol, don't wash raw meat...

Mugenhunt

Oct 17, 2019
This is a cultural thing. I've seen discussions about this elsewhere. It mostly boils down to "Everyone I know in my community does it this way, this is how I learned how to do it, so I will keep doing it this way." because it is very hard to throw away generations of tradition based on reading an article by the CDC.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Lol most people who wash meat are not going online to snarky-ass, uppity forums like this to get their cooking info. They're just doing it because that's how it was taught to them and they've never really run across information that tells them otherwise. Subsequently, these practices stem from decades of sociopolitical factors that breed an attitude that isn't going to go away just because someone put it in a Vox article. The read here, if Era could stop being Era for a second, would be to go "Oh, I understand why certain populations might do that" and then take the conversation from there.

Instead we have to suffer through pages of the indignation of a bunch of crackas who can't be bothered to wash their feet.

I've literally seen this info for 5 years straight every Xmas time on multiple TV channels. It isn't like somehow this information is hidden. It's absolutely OK for people to not know information outright, it's absolutely OK for people to not trust certain stuff without proof of what's said, but the idea that somehow when presented with the correct info and links to actual facts that you can then continue to claim you know better than experts with actual data and information available in this very thread is exactly the issue. The last part of my post is "why is it so hard to admit you're wrong and trust the experts" to which I've yet to see an actual reason when it comes to this data and the fact this thread has already had multiple people provide the correct information and multiple people refuse to accept it and still say they know better? But yes, I'm sure being a "cracker" is entirely the reason people in the thread have tried to correct this incorrect and honestly dangerous misconception when it comes to food and not because it goes against the experts knowledge on the health risks of doing so.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
This is a cultural thing. I've seen discussions about this elsewhere. It mostly boils down to "Everyone I know in my community does it this way, this is how I learned how to do it, so I will keep doing it this way." because it is very hard to throw away generations of tradition based on reading an article by the CDC.

so why don't we give antivaxxers in hermetically sealed rural communities who basically listen only to their preachers/family and are told to distrust the government and mainstream media the same benefit of the doubt?

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
"Oh, I understand why certain populations might do that" and then take the conversation from there.

Definitely a lot of people not clear on others lived experiences or cultural differences.

Instead we have to suffer through pages of the indignation of a bunch of crackas who can't be bothered to wash their feet.

Unabashed love for this.

Several times she removed small bits of metal shavings because they did not care about black people's food way back then.

A piece of why this might have caught on with some communities more than others. I'm also sure that people are assuming a lot about the how washing happens, based on what I'm seeing here. Do people think that we're just slapping chicken into the sink?

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
idk I started wearing a mask every day whenever I go out for the first time in my life because I was told to by experts. It wasn't really that hard to change from my entire basic livelihood prior to being informed it was safer to do so.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is fucking me up. You guys...like...you understand what happens to bacteria at 350+ degrees, right? Why the fuck are you washing your chicken lmao!

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
hahahah you're on a roll, op

my man

"but cOnTanMinAtinG your sink", then wash the damn sink, counter and backplate fool.

But the chicken will meet water and vinegar for an extended period before I eat. (whole pieces with skin on anyway. breast cutlets just get a water dunk and go.)

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH

my man

"but cOnTanMinAtinG your sink", then wash the damn sink, counter and backplate fool.
Without reading the CDC's guidance (heat check), I'm assuming that the issue with washing meat is that the bacteria goes every which way like a sneeze. That said, the idea that people are concerned with a sink's sanitary-ness, makes it sound like people aren't washing their sink or anything else in their kitchen after cooking.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
Rise with vinegar or lemon juice and water.
For chicken you clean off the excess fat, unremoved yellow layer on the skin (depending on the source), nasty blood and guts from the back portion and thighs.
It's also a good way to inspect what you are about to consume.
Don't listen to or eat from these gross people OP.....

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018

my man

So…clean your entire kitchen every time you cook meat? And you've got separate rags for the meat and general cleaning, right? Because "washing" your sink and counter and backplate isn't going to do jack fucking shit if you're not using a towel/rag either. Congrats, you now have a towel/rag thats dripping wet with chicken juice. Where do you put that? In the hamper with your other towels? Or you just use paper towels and spend $ each time to "wash" your kitchen.

Or. Just don't wash your chicken.

Two very difficult choices

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Rise with vinegar or lemon juice and water.
Don't listen to or eat from these gross people.....
33736-m.webp

Oct 27, 2017
How you think folks be washing? You put it at the package at the bottom of the sink. Unwrap and wash, then put them in a tray beside the sink. Who is slinging wet chicken around?

This. Nasty meat juice does directly down the drain. I season and then the plastic goes straight in the recycling bin outside.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Without reading the CDC's guidance (heat check), I'm assuming that the issue with washing meat is that the bacteria goes every which way like a sneeze.
the cdc guideline isn't unknown, but they basically tell me that that chicken slaughterhouse slime is okay to eat and I say, nah, i'm good.
there's all sorts of ways to manage your water without splashing a firehose or even a mild spritz if you're worried about that. bowls, bags, containers and so on.
i know people like to unload responsibility and just lean back into government guidelines, but the people who wash their meats have been taking proactive responsibility for their own wellbeing for longer, since before the government made an attempt to care.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've literally seen this info for 5 years straight every Xmas time on multiple TV channels. It isn't like somehow this information is hidden. It's absolutely OK for people to not know information outright, it's absolutely OK for people to not trust certain stuff without proof of what's said, but the idea that somehow when presented with the correct info and links to actual facts that you can then continue to claim you know better than experts with actual data and information available in this very thread is exactly the issue. The last part of my post is "why is it so hard to admit you're wrong and trust the experts" to which I've yet to see an actual reason when it comes to this data and the fact this thread has already had multiple people provide the correct information and multiple people refuse to accept it and still say they know better? But yes, I'm sure being a "cracker" is entirely the reason people in the thread have tried to correct this incorrect and honestly dangerous misconception when it comes to food and not because it goes against the experts knowledge on the health risks of doing so.
Since we're talking about science, science has already said that people don't reflexively trust experts when their conclusions go against deeply ingrained beliefs and practices, so the pushback should not actually be so frustrating to such a rational person as yourself. Science also definitely says it's not a shocker that people don't change their minds immediately when presented with mockery by no-names on the Internet who, again, failed to take the five seconds necessary to try and figure out why people might do something they themselves don't do. This attitude, by the way, of sneering mockery, sarcasm, and implied intellectual superiority when minorities are presenting you with the cultural reasons for why they have always done something that you don't do, is indeed crackery, and it's one of many reasons Era is so fucking insufferable.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Like if I buy a slab of salmon from Aldi/Lidl and take the skin off with a knife. Then I'll wash the meat after to remove the remaining scales. There's no point, at least to me to wash the salmon before and after I cut the skin off. Then I wash the cutting board knife and counter.

Washing a rib roast before seasoning the meat? That seems like extra work for no reason.

Oct 29, 2017
This is definitely a culture gap. Most Black people I've been around wash their meat before cooking it, likely stemming from the fact that we've always been served bad/unsanitary/unpopular cuts, and thus would have to find ways to prevent illness, hence the practice of washing. White people don't have to worry about shit like that; y'all will eat grey-ass meat from two years ago so long as it's been in the freezer all that time.
Definitely a Black American thing (but not exclusively for sure). I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at people being like, "Eww, washing meat???" when for a lot of us that's just the way it's been.

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Do you wash raw chicken before you cook it

https://www.health.com/food/cdc-raw-chicken?amp=true Apparently this is a thing and ive never heard of it before. People wash their meat in the kitchen for some reason before cooking, I guess to make it safer to eat? Era, can someone let me know why you do this or if you do it at all