• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Pat Dry at most, and that's really only if the meat is positively soaked in juices when you get it.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For some Stir-Frying it is okay to wash, but not for hygienic reason, it is for meat texture reason

I was surprised at how much blanching or velveting of meat is used in Chinese cuisines, and I only started using those techniques when I got into cooking Chinese food.
But yeah, it's not for food safety reasons. I have never wash my meat otherwise, and the whole process doesn't help food safety anyway.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
Just literally asked 10+ people in my breakroom ,while I'm eating lunch, this question and they all wash their chicken too 😁

So, instead of admitting you're wrong, you just got more anecdotal evidence?

Washing Food: Does it Promote Food Safety?
However, washing raw poultry, beef, pork, lamb or veal before cooking it is not recommended. Bacteria in raw meat and poultry juices can be spread to other foods, utensils and surfaces. We call this cross-contamination.

While washing meat and poultry to remove dirt, slime, fat or blood may have been appropriate decades ago when many slaughtered and prepared their own food, the modern food safety system doesn't require it. Meat and poultry are cleaned during processing, so further washing is not necessary.

Jan 29, 2018
I've never heard of anyone doing this. Chicken breast comes right out of the package onto the cutting board. When I'm all done I wipe down the counter the cutting board was on with one of those disinfectant wipes (and I thought that was overzealous).

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
We wash our meat and veggies before we cook them too.

So you ain't crazy Slay.

I would also like to cite the numerous threads from years ago when many, many posters would explain why you don't have to wash your hands after going to the bathroom.

We might just have to agree to disagree on the washing stuff.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
So you think cold water is going to remove "grime" but a scorching hot pan won't?

Who let this person be a mod.

So you ain't crazy Slay.

I would also like to cite the numerous threads from years ago when many, many posters would explain why you don't have to wash your hands after going to the bathroom.

My hand's also not going in a screaming hot pan/oven/pot of oil for multiple minutes.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Washing the chicken is what increases your chances of food poisoning/makes you sick. So it's funny that people do it to try and prevent that. Backwards logic. Funny though. But it can be a dangerous superstition, so...

"Whyyy do I keep getting sick from damn chicken?!"

*washes even harder next time, carefully spreading bacteria even farther*

"I'm even more sick than last time!!!"

*washes even harder*

"I'm dead about this, and I don't know why!!!"

--

Reminds me of how they used to give Mercury pills for hypochondria.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
We all still here! I've cooked chicken at least twice a week for half of my life and I'm still good! Literally did it last night, and I'm not shitting my brains out yet lol

great for you! i hope you never get sick! it doesn't change the inherent danger of your pointless actions!

So you ain't crazy Slay.

did those threads also cite scientific evidence on why washing your hands is bad?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Been washing for all of my living years, never caught a thing.

I trust my cleaning more than I trust the meat store and supermarket. Specially more than the meat process industry.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
It's one of those things I admittedly did because I'd watched grandparents do it before I learned it does absolutely fuck all and can even spread germs and stuff. It makes sense not to if you take a second to think about it tbh.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
""CAN"" spread illness throughout your kitchen. Quoted in that link. Probably fools shooting water at it full blast. A lot of things CAN spread illness.

Jesus, Dude. You're arguing against an entire organization created to keep food safe for people to eat. Just admit you're wrong, you can still wash you're meat but you are literally not supposed to.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
People will probably be surprised to learn there are likely particles on shit on your tooth brush after flushing the toilet. But will spread likely more dangerous partials around a kitchen by washing a chicken.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
this thread is wild lmfao

the CDC telling you not to wash your meat and y'all probably make fun of antivaxxers for not listening to the science lol

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
...grime? My man if my butcher gives me steaks with grime on em me and him would be having words lol. Pat dry with a paper towel and season then you are golden

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
People trying to paint the ones who don't wash their meat as somehow unscientific, anti-masker-esque heathens is fucking RICH.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
I appreciate how the level of incredulousness has remained constant, even when confronted with the fact that nobody actually does this and several sourced posts detailing why it's a bad idea. I think we're up to a quadruple down now? I support it all, this is a hill one should die on!

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I used to eat leftover pizza that had been aging in my room for days and I never got sick but I certainly wouldn't encourage it

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
This is the only correct answer. I rinse chicken, pat dry on a lined surface, season/brine with a lemon mix I've made, then cook. After...the kitchen gets bleached and cleaned. Utensils bleached and cleaned. This might be a cultural thing, because I've noticed that white people I've known don't do this generally while many people I've known from the Islands do. I know my family does, we're Haitian/Nigerian though, so we might do things differently.
My partner's family's Vietnamese and they ain't doing any of this. The most is boiling off the impurities for some broths, but that's to create a cleaner looking and tasting broth, not for health and hygiene.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cooking the chicken properly kills anything from the meat processing, unless you're eating raw.

Oct 27, 2017

So you ain't crazy Slay.

Those two acts are literally nothing alike, but you do you...

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
My family always rinsed meat and then patted it dry before seasoning/marinating. Never knew there was anything wrong with that. Learn something new everyday.

Is this just a black American thing to do? Because literally my whole family rinses meat off before cooking lmao.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
How many people in this thread who are washing their meat think that the liquid that accumulates in the package is "grime"?

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Our family has washed the meat before cooking for generations. I didnt even know it was a thing to not wash the meat, that sounds pretty gross to me.

My family always rinsed meat and then patted it dry before seasoning/marinating. Never knew there was anything wrong with that. Learn something new everyday.

Is this just a black American thing to do? Because literally my whole family rinses meat off before cooking lmao.

We're south asian and its the same for us. I dont know anyone in the community that doesnt rinse the meat before cooking lol.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, until you are eating happy and realize there's a part of the meat that wasn't well cooked
Well the water is not gonna take care of that LOL

Why do you think this dude loses his shit about this all the time.

gordon-ramsay-raw.gif