• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yes, but they only really made a token effort to keep the continuity consistent for the most part.

Really, the reboot + younger cast only really happened in the first place because they totally shat the bed with The Last Stand.
And they fixed it with DOFP only to muck it up again lol

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Thank God it's all over. DOFP or at best LOGAN should have been the last part of the franchise.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
So wait...how the fuck will Magnetp/ Xavier fit in the MCU now??

Magneto was 16? During world war 2 and current MCU is 2023, he'd be almost 100 oh noo
Idk. But they should cast older actors to play them. Like, I want them to do something where the X-Men were around during the snap and everything, just have them deciding not to get involved or say they were too few in numbers or something. We don't need another origin story and it seems like Marvel is moving away from those considering what they did with Homecoming , Black Panther, and Captain Marvel. I mean, the last one kinda was one in reverse. I just don't see them doing the standard one again.

Nov 2, 2017
Spider-Man graduated high school in 65 and is now in his late twenties. I find it kind of cool how they adapted a sliding timescale in these films.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't try to make sense of the X-Men movie timeline.

SERIOUSLY, DONT.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Mayp4Xj.jpg

Yeah, since Deadpool 2 clearly takes place in 2018, Xavier is 96 in this shot. Beast is pushing 80. Quicksilver in Nirvana shirt because fuck it, they just showed up the same day they were shooting something for Dark Phoenix and that's 1992. I mean obviously Deadpool doesn't give a shit about continuity but damn.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, since Deadpool 2 clearly takes place in 2018, Xavier is 96 in this shot. Beast is pushing 80. Quicksilver in Nirvana shirt because fuck it, they just showed up the same day they were shooting something for Dark Phoenix and that's 1992. I mean obviously Deadpool doesn't give a shit about continuity but damn.
He time traveled back to '92. lol

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god I never thought about that. It was a door into the past lol

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So glad they're coming back home where they belong. And to think we have people who believe these are actually good movies lol

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Outside of the original trilogy, I kind of just view each successive movie as individual movies, with actors that we enjoy seeing in those roles. Like, each one a parallel reality with minor things altered or changed, but core elements the same (ie, Xavier and Magneto having a troubled past, Mystiques relationship with both of them, etc etc).

When the movie is fun, or good (like DOFP, Logan), it's something I can overlook and just enjoy the fun/good story the filmmakers came up with. But when it's bad (Apocalypse), it sticks out more. Like, I think setting X-Men movies in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's is a neat idea. The problem was then trying to pretend that they're all interconnected without even attempting to alter the appearances of the cast, or age up some of the actors. That's silly, but ultimately doesn't bother me.

Logan, if you want to dissect it, falls apart when trying to fit it into the established X timeline. But if you just roll with what the story is trying to evoke, it's great. Definitely my favorite. Yeah, it leans heavily on our affection for Jackman and Stewart's portrayal as Logan and Xavier, respectively, but it works.

Days of Future Past, for me, is the end of the X-Men film series. I thought it was a fun amalgamation of the original cast and the first class cast, and was a fun, entertaining movie.

Apocalypse and Phoenix are just "what ifs" to me. And I actually don't hate Dark Phoenix. It's just not very memorable for me. Entertaining, but dumb. Better than Apocalypse though.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
That's what happen when you start a universe with having any standards

The universe wasn't planned from the start

Can we even talk how did they ressurect Professor X in The Wolverine and DoFP with his real body after his death in X3?

Wished they ended it all with DoFP
Man I'm still trying to make sense of the ending of DoFP. Wolverine gets tossed into the river or something. Stryker fishes him out but we then see it's Mystique. The very next movie Wolverine is caged by Stryker and Mystique is the Mutant Savior.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hey remember that time Magneto dropped a fucking baseball stadium on the White House but everyone stopped fearing mutants because Mystique saved the President from getting shot?

Oct 2, 2018
Man I'm still trying to make sense of the ending of DoFP. Wolverine gets tossed into the river or something. Stryker fishes him out but we then see it's Mystique. The very next movie Wolverine is caged by Stryker and Mystique is the Mutant Savior.

blame that on JLAW the academy award winner.

If she never blew up, her role would have been small.

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Yup that's pretty dumb
It's like the writers don't know Mystique's character and intention

She was pure evil in the first three, but now she's more humanized

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Actually no. Xavier had a mental block that made walking hard even in his new body. He eventually left for space to figure it out.

When he returned he fought the Shadow King who shattered his legs as a parting gift when he was defeated.

Just so non-comic people in this thread understand: BOTH happened.

1. Lucifer crippled Xavier, then

2. His space queen girlfriend (Empress of the biggest Marvel space civilization besides the Kree and Skrulls) whipped up a functional, walking clone body for him aaaannnnndddd....

3. As SOON as he got back to earth, the Shadow King crippled him again.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I kind of would have loved it if they had gone to the effort of casting someone as Alpha the Ultimate Mutant whose only job in the franchise was to de-age everyone at the start of each film.

Feb 15, 2018
90% of the casting decisions absolutely sucked for the last 4 Xmen movies

JLaw sux as Mystique

That dude who plays Cyclops sux

Nicholas Hoult sux as Beast

The new Storm sux

Fassbender is not magneto

The list goes on

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Logan was the best of the xmen franchise and it is Hugh Jackman
yeah but like half of the movies in the franchise are explicitly branded as starring just him and the other half he's basically the main character. It's an ensemble cast, sometimes it's good for different people to take the forefront. Not to say that days of future past is particularly good, but i liked it more than first class.

Basically what I'm saying is if anyone complains that wolverine isn't given enough prominence in the franchise because of one movie (where he is STILL the primary audience viewpoint) that's kind of ridiculous.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
What if it was 1969 to 1990?

That's 4 decades and only 21 years difference

Cuban missile crisis is 1962, and Charles is leaving Oxford with his PhD at the start of the film lol. At the youngest they'd be born in the mid 1930s (given their ages in 1944 intro), Xavier should be near 40s by DOFP which takes place in 1973.

Edit: Patrick Stewart and Ian McClellan were age-appropriate castings for 90s Xmen with no sliding timeline or age manipulation shenanigans. The failure is in aging McAvoy, Fassbender, and others appropriately given that only Mystique and Wolverine should be ageless. Fass should at least have fully grey hair at this point.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's a scientific fact that magnetism causes you to age slowly due to how the core of the earth and the poles work. It also apples to anyone around you, therefore seeing how Xavier and other mutants are around Magneto a lot, they benefit from this.

This is why in 2012 DARPA was implanting soldier in a trial study with neodium magnets to see how it affected the aging process. The results will be published in 2022 after a ten year period.
Uhh you got a source for this???

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Just so non-comic people in this thread understand: BOTH happened.

1. Lucifer crippled Xavier, then

2. His space queen girlfriend (Empress of the biggest Marvel space civilization besides the Kree and Skrulls) whipped up a functional, walking clone body for him aaaannnnndddd....

3. As SOON as he got back to earth, the Shadow King crippled him again.
Lol the universe is conspiring against Xavier walking

He can walk now thanks to possessing Fantomex

How long before he's back and crippled again