• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
It is stated that Termina is a projection made by Skullkid using Majora's Mask:

"The combination of the Skull Kid's burdened heart and the evil magic within Majora's Mask transforms the world into the land of Termina. Termina is a parallel world with its own distinct culture, which is perhaps influenced by Majora's ancient tribe.
The four giants were spirit friends of the Skill Kid who, much like Termina itself, were created in a new form by the power of Majora's Mask.
While the hero's pure heart allows the world of Termina to momentarily revel in its salvation, as soon as he departs, that world ceases to exist"

This is fascinating but doesn't reasonate well with me. I see Termina as two things:

1 - a parallel universe, that does exist and does get saved by Link. While everything must end eventually, the hero manages to change the destiny of this land trapped in eternal doom. The land is now free.

2 - Something that shouldn't be explained.

The last one honestly should be applied to everything regarding Zelda, and maybe Nintendo. In fact, I never knew about this explanation because I never bought Hyrule Encyclopedia/Hystoria. We all know that they don't care about canon and just retcon things.
With this said, I would like to know your opinion about the Encyclopedia, its interpretation of Majora's Mask, your favorite/least favorite trivia from that book and your idea of what Termina is.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a dumb retcon. Especially since in game Skull Kid had been visiting Termina long before he took Majora's Mask. It was clearly meant to be some paralell world.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
it's a fine explanation
death of the author-ing it is also fine
the fits that some zelda fans often throw over the suggestion of there being e.g. a timeline is silly

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's a retcon, honestly, I don't know why they took issue with Termina just being a paralell Hyrule.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That would lessen the impact of Link's impact on that world at the end of that story. I think saving the world of Termina and its citizens is more significant than solely the salvation of Skull Kid's psyche, so I'm not into that explanation.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I mean unless Skull Kid permanently rewrote history somehow this doesn't make any sense.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The encyclopedia is the blue book right? You'll notice something in the credits to the book unlike the others. Aonuma and other Nintendo names are not there. The encyclopedia even has things that contradict some of the things said in Historia.

OP
OP
Vampirolol

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Also that would make Skullkid a pretty amazing game designer.

The encyclopedia is the blue book right? You'll notice something in the credits to the book unlike the others. Aonuma and other Nintendo names are not there. The encyclopedia even has things that contradict some of the things said in Historia.
Yes, that's the one. Cool to know it's a little less canon than the other.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
If that's not in the game, it didn't happen. Termina is a world where they sealed their devil in the stone tower. It has a history and is a real place within the games. Just a parallel dimension with the lost woods like a magical forest connecting parallel worlds, like the nightmare before Christmas. See also the alternate ocean in Phantom Hourglass.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's a dumb retcon. Especially since in game Skull Kid had been visiting Termina long before he took Majora's Mask. It was clearly meant to be some paralell world.
Yeah, I have no idea why they would want to retcon that. Additionally, having Majora's Mask create the world doesn't explain why so many people look identical to the people of Hyrule (Tatl is supposed to be Termina's version of Navi, which is why Link initially stares at Tatl for a good while when they first speak to each other; heck, this would mean that Tatl and Tael are projections of Majora's Mask when they became friends with Skull Kid way before that mask came into the picture, which doesn't make any sense at all). A parallel world is the most logical explanation for that.

I'm just gonna ignore what the encyclopedia says on this one.

Nov 17, 2017
Not that many since the 'timeline'.
Off the top of my head there's the Dark World and Lorule.

If that's not in the game, it didn't happen. Termina is a world where they sealed their devil in the stone tower. It has a history and is a real place within the games. Just a parallel dimension with the lost woods like a magical forest connecting parallel worlds, like the nightmare before Christmas. See also the alternate ocean in Phantom Hourglass.
A wizzrobe did it.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo just fucked up with their supposed Zelda timeline and retconned lore and now they can't back down. I don't understand the need to connect and correct everything.

Zelda lore is way better with everything just being faint references/nods to other Zelda games and all the games being not connected to each other (except direct sequels of course).

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It does support the dream/nightmare quality Termina after playing OoT though MM works better without an explanation.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, could've fooled me. I guess the Historia is the only 'canon' book?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have no idea why they would want to retcon that. Additionally, having Majora's Mask create the world doesn't explain why so many people look identical to the people of Hyrule (Tatl is supposed to be Termina's version of Navi, which is why Link initially stares at Tatl for a good while when they first speak to each other; heck, this would mean that Tatl and Tael are projections of Majora's Mask when they became friends with Skull Kid way before that mask came into the picture, which doesn't make any sense at all). A parallel world is the most logical explanation for that.

I'm just gonna ignore what the encyclopedia says on this one.
Skull kid came from Termina and hangs around the lost woods, one of the crossroads between worlds. like a sad kid who spends too much time on their own.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
You may likeit more or less, but if an author says something, it is canon.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
According to above posts, none of the people involved in writing Majora's Mask had any input in this encyclopedia, and it sometimes contradicts Hyrule Historia, which did have such input. It might as well be fanfiction.

It's different from Miyamoto saying that the Koopalings aren't actually Bowser's kids, since that came straight from his mouth.

Last edited:

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Nintendo just fucked up with their supposed Zelda timeline and retconned lore and now they can't back down. I don't understand the need to connect and correct everything.

Zelda lore is way better with everything just being faint references/nods to other Zelda games and all the games being not connected to each other (except direct sequels of course).
the point of "The Legend of..." was the ambiguity and openness to interpretation of the historical facts, they didnt need to midiclorianize zelda with coherent timelines

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
No it didn't happen. The people of termina were saved, didn't dissapear from existence after Link left, and some stupid revision in a book doesn't change that. Also in Final Fantasy X Sin never came back after they broken the cyle, despite the stupidity of the FF X audio. The authors can say what they want but it doesn't count.

Nov 17, 2017
the point of "The Legend of..." was the ambiguity and openness to interpretation of the historical facts, they didnt need to midiclorianize zelda with coherent timelines
Some Zelda games were clearly made with a timeline in mind. I think the issue was when they tried to force every game into the timeline. Like Four Swords and Link's Fashion Adventure really could've just been called spinoffs from the main timeline but they had to fit them in there.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Zelda Encyclopedia is not canon, it was not written by the same people as Hyrule Historia.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I read this as Termina being a place that existed in a different way, before becoming the twisted world you see in Majora's Mask due to the mask. Wouldn't change anything major really.

AceDomino

Jan 23, 2020
Germany
I have a "treat as canon if it feels right" policy towards information about games (or, indeed, other media) from outside the game or respective piece of media.

This doesn't, by the way, as it cheapens Termina as a setting by simply making it a projection rather than an actual place with an actual history. Of course there is kind of an allegorical quality to Termina, with the way it reflects and contrasts Hyrule in a lot of ways but I'd rather have the actual nature of that be ambiguous.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I read this as Termina being a place that existed in a different way, before becoming the twisted world you see in Majora's Mask due to the mask. Wouldn't change anything major really.
I think it ruins the lore, especially how dark the canyons are. It was already a world with demons. Majora seemed to be just the most dangerous.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think Zelda has enough alternate dimensions for basically anything to stay "real" - this is the universe where we have the Sacred Realm, Lorule, AND the Twilight Realm co-existing. Link's Awakening's dream realm is the one exception IMO, and that was pretty masterfully woven into the overarcing story for a Game Boy game.

You could argue that death and letting go are the central themes of Majora's Mask, though, in which case Termina ceasing to be would fit the narrative, even if it's one I don't necessarily agree with (I think Majora is about not letting pessimism take hold and instead finding new hope and optimism in the face of adversity)

Nintendo also wants you to believe that the Koopalings aren't Bowser's kids any more.

I honestly prefer that, I like Bowser basically being a mob boss to the koopalings who has a heart of gold when he's with his one kid

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think Zelda has enough alternate dimensions for basically anything to stay "real" - this is the universe where we have the Sacred Realm, Lorule, AND the Twilight Realm co-existing. Link's Awakening's dream realm is the one exception IMO, and that was pretty masterfully woven into the overarcing story for a Game Boy game.

You could argue that death and letting go are the central themes of Majora's Mask, though, in which case Termina ceasing to be would fit the narrative, even if it's one I don't necessarily agree with (I think Majora is about not letting pessimism take hold and instead finding new hope and optimism in the face of adversity)

I honestly prefer that, I like Bowser basically being a mob boss to the koopalings who has a heart of gold when he's with his one kid
Majora isn't just about death. I would say it's more about life, 'dawn of a new day' creating a future for Kafie and Anju. This is a happy ending celebrating that life goes on, even with the deaths of the mask hosts, like the deku butler's son. It's why the theory also doesn't work that it's Link's afterlife.

You could say Wind Waker was the closest one about death, since they have to accept Hyrule fall and the king who possesses the boat, the second most important charcter, stays behind accepts his time is done. Or maybe the theme is accepting the past is over.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
people dislike the change because it makes it such that bowser fucked less
that said, he still pretty much treats the Koopalings as his top enforcers, in the same way that Kamek is his consigliere.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
The zelda timelines and explanations are a bad thing really, because it disencourages disussion and fan speculation. You could view the series as a timeline or a series of fairy tales being told separatedly or even inside some other games in the series( i always liked to imagine ocarina of time just being a legend other zelda games, just a tradition told to folk people) but with the timeline there's none of that. There's x and it happened this and this way, the end. That's boring to me.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This "different authors" argument for encyclopedia vs hostoria isn't necessarily a great reason for it not being canon, aonuma is listed as supervising editor for historia, "Nintendo Co., Ltd." is listed as "supervision and collaboration" for encyclopedia. (Aonuma is in the special thanks section, though.) I think it's fair to say they are endorsing its content just as much as the previous edition, I might even argue that it supersedes historia. Aonuma does not have an encyclopedic knowledge of every iota of timeline information, I'm sure this is more managed by his staff and it's entirely possible they were involved as part of the blanket "Nintendo" credited for the encyclopedia. Perhaps even correcting small clerical errors, like the placement of the oracles. Ultimately these credits don't tell us anything authoritative, though.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Not that many since the 'timeline'.
There are quite a few, actually:

Sacred Realm (aka Dark World or Silent Realm)
Twilight Realm
Lorule
The world of the Minish
Termina
The Sea of the Ocean King

There is also a second Dark World with different properties from Four Sword Adventure. It *might* be the same as one of the above, but it might not be.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This "different authors" argument for encyclopedia vs hostoria isn't necessarily a great reason for it not being canon, aonuma is listed as supervising editor for historia, "Nintendo Co., Ltd." is listed as "supervision and collaboration" for encyclopedia. (Aonuma is in the special thanks section, though.) I think it's fair to say they are endorsing its content just as much as the previous edition, I might even argue that it supersedes historia. Aonuma does not have an encyclopedic knowledge of every iota of timeline information, I'm sure this is more managed by his staff and it's entirely possible they were involved as part of the blanket "Nintendo" credited for the encyclopedia. Perhaps even correcting small clerical errors, like the placement of the oracles. Ultimately these credits don't tell us anything authoritative, though.

It suggests an even smaller involvement from the primary sources though, which isn't very good, especially if you hope this material actually gets acknowledged (like we just got a Majora's Mask remake fairly close to this encyclopedia, and yet nothing was changed to indicate they were heading towards Termina never existing).

Even putting authorship aside, there's also the issue that Encyclopedia has several mistakes about the actual in-game info so at a certain point it gets hard to know if for example the clashes with Historia are deliberate retcons or just more mistakes.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Nintendo also wants you to believe that the Koopalings aren't Bowser's kids any more.
Almost as bad as every game being a stage play.

I honestly do not think Nintendo gives a single fuck about story cohesion, but it's clear that the fans did, especially of the Zelda universe. So Nintendo went in and tried to pull it all together, and more recent games either make an effort to say where they fit in, or distance themselves so much from any known event that it doesn't matter.

I like the Zelda timeline - it's an example of fans loving something more than the creator and the creator acknowledging that and canonizing that love. But Termina being an illusion is the one thing that doesn't sit right with me.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Zelda Encyclopedia is super canon breaking. Its full of errors in both its original release and further in its localisations. Its exasperating (especially since the Zelda Wiki now uses it as a source for everything).

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
i could've sworn that was the case in the game as well

glad i was right all along i guess

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Broke: Termina is an illusion.

Woke: Link is dead and going through the five stages of grief.