• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Last gen started strong but fizzled for me as a 360 owner. I definitely had some PS3 FOMO at the end. PS4 started out strong and has only gotten better, ending the gen with some of its best titles. Can't say anything bad about the actual console. Last gen consoles were struggling at the end.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
As a fan of mostly Japanese games, last generation was an absolute disaster with notable exceptions like the Souls series, Valkyria Chronicles and a few Tales games.

This generation it feels like it was mostly the big Western publishers that blundered.

Dec 23, 2017
Yes I think there was better overall games and new ips. I loved how long the generation lasted it pushed devs to be mote creative and not just say we don't have high enough specs. Just my opinion though.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I spent waaaayyyyy less koney on games last gen.

So I'd say this gen is better.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Not talk about specific hardware / consoles but we had a hell of lot of great new IP ... Mass effect for example.... Many others have been mentioned...

Most of this wasn't online multiplayer GaaS either... Or hero shooters/ looter shooters ...

It's probably more bias on era due to the demographics but yeah.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The 360 had such good niche Japanese support that I look on it much more favorably than the current XBox.

the Switch is the best Nintendo system since the SNES and the PS4 is much better than the PS3.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last gen was crazy fun and I'm glad I was there to experience it. So much hype, absurdity, and console war nonsense, haha. Shit was a mess, but I loved it.

That being said, in terms of actual games current gen is better.

StUnNeR H2K

Dec 1, 2017
Yukon, OK
I think it has a lot to do less with the hardware, but the IPs that were created. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Gears were a few of my favorites that launched during that generation (PS3, Wii, 360). As for the current gen, not really any big new IPs that I fell in love with or that had the impact those games had. The current gen has felt like it has all be sequels and remakes/remasters, along with some failed IPs (ie Anthem). I also would lump Destiny into the previous gen even though it launched across both, it was really a last gen game with nicer visuals on current gen platforms.

EDIT: To add this gen for Xbox only users has been terrible, even with established IPs. Nothing from Fable. Halo 5 was the only FPS Halo game, and it has a horrible story/campaign. Not going to even talk about the trash launch that was the Master Chief Collection (although it is much better now). Gears 4 & 5 were okay, but i'm not a huge Gears person. Mass Effect Andromeda was meh, even outside the terrible animations the story and where it was headed didn't feel the same as the trilogy. Dragon Age game was good, but is mediocre when compared to the Witcher 3 (which is probably my highlight game of the generation for me, and it was not a new IP). Battlefiled 1 was decent, but nothing compared to BF 3 or 4. So even a lot my favorites from last gen were let downs compared to previous gen. A lot of these terrible games I think were just poor developer/publisher decisions, the mass introduction of micro transactions and finding ways to piece meal content in for money instead of just making an amazing game I think contributed to a lot of issues. The original Mass Effect only worked because they didn't cut out content to serve as dlc, or exclusive platform specific content, and they didn't have someone breathing down their neck to meet some specific expectation or goal they just made the game they wanted.

Last edited:

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like PS3/Wii/360 had more games and alot of iconic new IP that are still relevant today. I liked this gen better, but it's not a crazy thought for people to prefer the previous gen at all.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
A lot of great times but I miss the lower, B-budget type games from the last gen.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
When I look at the stand out franchises that were born in this gen compared to last that I enjoyed - last gen is winning by a metric fuckton. Just so many memorable moments.

Not that this gen doesn't have amazing new series and games, but I just can't put it over the gen that birthed Mass Effect, Portal, Uncharted, Dark Souls, Assassins Creed, Galaxy 1/2, The Last Of Us, New Vegas/Skyrim... I mean the list goes on and on.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
If you are a millennial in your early 30's then yes it had much more of an impact then the current gen.
Also lots of games series started at that gen still on this gen and coming to next gen.
So yeah seems to have way more impact then current gen.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Yeah I think this gen is quite a bit better. I think there's an argument to be made for new AAA IP's, though. I think indies balance this out, personally, but the AAA space in particular seemed to play this generation much safer than ever before. I don't play a ton of AAA games outside of Nintendo games, though, so it doesn't really impact my decision much.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
The only thing I would say is that Wii expended gaming horizons to people who had never gamed or even thought about gaming. So in that way it was probably bigger and better than Switch. We are gamers and love Switch for what it is, but for people at large Wii was king.

Oct 28, 2017
It was a much more zeitgeisty time overall.

Last gen felt like it had something new and revelatory almost every 6 months. Remmeber, the 360 being a plug and play XBL device in 2005 felt like magic. The Wii's motion controls made it feel like something just new and crazy, and not for nothing it was fun in a nostalgic way that Nintendo was on peoples lips again (has happened again with Switch). Modern Warfare was a seachange in online shooters, rhythm gamesand rock band parties being a trend was a fun diversion, and the revelation of XBLA bringing smaller games to the table and more or less creating the modern "indie" marketplace cannot be over stated. Heck, Netflix coming to consoles was a huge exciting thing, even if unrelated to games.

I think that extends to gaming media, etc as well. Podcasts were a new thing, people were coming to grips with using YouTube, and the early days of streaming. It wasn't "better", it was just "new", and by default that's something that makes it all very special.

I think the gen currently wrapping up has had more consistency, and much higher highs. But from a "this is an exciting time" standpoint, the 360/PS3/Wii era takes the cake.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox is the only one that really lagged compared to last gen.

PS4 and Switch are FAR better than their PS3/Wii counterparts.

Wii was great but it is by far my least played console ever, it would go weeks without use sometimes.

PS3 had a dismal launch and only a handful of games I thought were really special.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed that gen more, played more my people I knew irl since we were still young and i Just enjoyed games more then.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
No need to add more than what was said. Also, I finished more games last gen then this generation, way more games... Backlog is a term I learned this generation.
Ooh and, where the f is my Splinter Cell ?

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft were actually trying
Wii was revolutionary new way to play games
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls started
COD MW & MW2

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Yes? I didn't even bother buying a console this gen because there's like 5 games I'm actually interested in on Sony's side and MS puts everything on PC these days. I might get Switch sometime in the future, but it's not a priority either.

Oct 30, 2017
PS3/360 definitely struggled with HD and keeping steady frame rates. Game design definitely limited by low ram.

A lot of those games from that generation still hold a special place in my heart. I think this generation is better, but the take of, "Who actually thinks this is better!?" is not a good one, I think.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
360 was perfect for me, started with Oblivion and CoD2 while still playing Halo 2 on the far and away best console online at the time. Then to Dead Rising, Gears 1, Crackdown. Then my favorite shooter ever Shadowrun came out in 2007 and I played it for years. Orange Box, Fallout 3 and NV, Left for Dead 1 and 2. Once Dark Souls came out that was pretty much all I played along with Shadowrun and was all I needed.

This gen is great but from 2007-2012 is like perfect for me.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
What a reductive way to look at different gens, but as everything else it just a matter of preferences, IMO the WII is one of my all time favorite consoles ever, I doubt another console will ever have the same effect on me as the WII, but I have never and would never think of a gen is better in the general sense than the other.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The wealth of indies this gen has made it the best generation imo despite the big publishers using ever more greedy monetisation schemes to attempt to maintain fast growth.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
From a whole user experience standpoint(custom soundtracks, general UI), 360 was better than xbox one (even considering RROD). That's the only aspect I could agree with regarding this statement.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Trying to go back to PS3 games is rough imo

I just went back to infamous 1, I think it holds up. Gameplay is tight, resolution and textures are meh but still better than XCDE in portable mode, the other game I'm playing right now. I also want to get MSG4 out of my backlog before the PS5 launches. Need to know if war changes.

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
For me this gen is better just from the quality of life improvements from the previous systems alone. (E.g suspend resume, share button, PSN)

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
In 2007 alone we had

COD 4: Modern Warfare, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Mario Galaxy, The Orange Box, Assasins Creed, God of War II, Uncharted

It was one hell of a generation that gave birth to some of the best IPs in gaming

I love the current generation, but I much preffer last generation for the birth of new IPs that I hold dear today

nosferatu

Mar 25, 2020
For me, this generation is WAY better than last generation. Last generation almost pushed me away from console gaming completely. It felt like such a choir to complete most the games last generation. Anyways, I attribute this generations glory to a couple things:

1) In MY eyes, my favorite genre (JRPG) stopped all trying to be Western RPG's and returned to do games their way ie= Dragon Quest, Grand Kingdom, Ys.

2) XBox game pass. This service has opened my eyes to so many games I would never have purchased. Right now that game is Spiritfarer.

3) The Wii and Wii U was always a gimmick in my opinion. Loving every minute i have with the Switch since my kids are usually playing it themselves.

Just one guy's humble opinion

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
This generation is better overall except for the death and complete burial of Rock Band and Guitar Hero.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
This gen focused a lot on sequels started last gen. Add in some nostalgia and it's not a surprise to have enjoyed last gen more.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The current gen is better in most ways, especially for lower budget/indie/2d games and the rise of VR. Nintendo's hardware quality control slipped with the joycons, though.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
This gen has seen fewer and less innovative really good AAA games, but Indies have continued to grow. And, contra most people here I suppose, I think GaaS has been an overall good introduction into the industry that has allowed games like Destiny and Hearthstone and Overwatch to keep pumping out content long after they would have hung up the boots in the old expansion or DLC or subscription model days (GaaS has harmed otherwise good games, of course, but you can just... not play bad games, it's not that hard).

Also, this gen has game pass, and Steam Link/Moonlight solutions that actually work to get your PC library on your TV, both of which dovetail nicely with the indie explosion.

So I think for my tastes the current gen is much better, but for most people on this forum, it's got to be last gen. If you're only going to be playing 60 dollar tentpole releases I can't fathom preferring this gen.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a classic Sega fan, past gen had Outrun, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter, Afterburner Climax, Jet Set Radio and Nights HD ports, 3 aweosome 3D Sonic games... so yeah, better than this one! (current gen is great as well though)