• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Wii U and original Xbox One really muddy the waters here for me.

If we ignore that awful expensive kinect bundled underpowered original Xbox One, and we don't count the Wii U as being this gen... then sure. I can see the argument, but folding them back in... I struggle.

Out of the gate, PS4 was fantastic. Great price point. Good gen on gen upgrade. But the Xbox One was weak in a way the 360 or PS3 weren't. Wii U was a console I personally liked... but one that I couldn't fathom a wider audience for.

The Switch is fantastic. The PS4 Pro is a great console, and the Xbox One X is probably my favorite this generation. But that's all the second half of the gen.

OP
OP
cursed knowledge
Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
-If you are college age now (18-22), a 360/PS3/Wii was probably your first console, so there are going to be a lot of people who look back on it more fondly

i'm college age, the 360 was my first console (had a PS2 before but only really played San Andreas) and i still believe that it wasn't even good compared to what i played on the PS4, the Switch and even on PC this gen

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For me, I enjoyed the PS3 lineup over the PS4 lineup.

At the same time, the Switch library has already eclipsed the Wii library for me.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Oh, and shout out to PSVR too. RE7 was probably one of the best experiences I had on console this gen (even if it isn't my favorite *game* this gen, the experience was something special).

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say this gen was fantastic in terms of polish and quality, but there was a lot more experimentation last gen in the AA and even AAA space.

I do have to give some shade to the Wii, though. That thing was a tried and true gimmick and I can't think of anything it really accomplished for today's games. Maybe gyro controls? Even that is focused still on Nintendo.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Both had their strengths

Western 3rd Party AAA games were infinitely better last gen
AA games were much more common last gen

Japanese games were much better overall this gen
Sony 1st party was better this gen

frugaljoker8

Mar 27, 2019
way more games it feels like, the AAA output was dogshit this gen, multiplayer games weren't gaas crap, tons of new ips and xbox actually had games. The switch does have a much better first party output then the wii i'll give them that

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
People don't realize the amount of games that came out of that Gen moreso than this current gen.

We ended up getting a great ass series like Mass Effect which ended up becoming garbage with current gen.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I don't think so, this gen is great as PS4 is my all time favorite console only second to PS1, and it might end up surpassing that when I look back. But still, someone might have had their special moment during that gen in gaming. It was still a lot of quality software. GTAV for example first started during that era, as well as Minecraft.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Assassin's Creed 1/2/Brotherhood
Batman Arkham Asylum/City
Bioshock 1/2/Infinite
Call of Duty 4/MW2/BO
Dead Space 1/2
Dishonored
Fallout 3/NV
GTA 4/5
Mass Effect 1/2
Max Payne 3
Mirror's Edge
Portal 1/2
Rayman Origins/Legends
Skyrim

'memeber when third party triple A publishers were actually trying?

Oct 27, 2017
Putting DS and PSP in there, I can see that.

but if not for the onslaught of great indies this gen they'd maybe be a bit closer. But I'd pick this gen

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
People seem to be obsessed with ranking and comparing here. I wouldn't even know how to measure this.
I had fun with all the consoles i bought. Including with WiiU (as many Switch owners now know, the console had amazing games).

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wii U am cry.

Are we really gonna try to just sweep that console under the rug?

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Don't you mean ps4/xbone/wiiU?

And yes I vastly preferred the games last gen.

This gen was just more of the same but shinier with more microtransactions.

The only really notable games for me this gen are last guardian, shenmue 3 & days gone.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Last gen had more good & great games, this gen had more masterpiece level games imo

360 was so much better than the XB1 it's shocking they're even the same family of consoles

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Outside of Switch? Yes. I liked more of Sony's stuff this gen in comparison to last, but Microsoft and 3rd parties were WAY more interesting to me last gen.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Wouldn't it be WiiU instead of Wii as the comparison point?

Regardless I think last gen had a lot more interesting new IPs and surprise releases while we had more BS to deal with this gen (GaaS and Battle Royal/Survival/Hero Shooter clones). I think we had higher peak quality games but overall I much preferred the output last gen. I think a part of it is that dev time went up, as did Dev costs, so we get less games and fewer risks this time around. I'd also say the MS & Sony competition was much healthier which pushed things further.

When it comes to Hardware (Slim releases, Pro/X enhanced consoles) and Service offerings (Free Games, Back compat, Streaming, Game Pass, Cross Play/Save/Buy) I'm much happier this gen and think there's no competition.

Oct 24, 2019
I mean PS4 and Switch are obviously superior to their last-gen counterparts, but Xbox 360 blows Xbox One out of the water.

That console was iconic and *all* my friends in middle/high school at the time had one. So many fond memories playing Halo 3, Gears of War, COD 4, etc. during the advent of online gaming. Every body would go home from school and hop online and play games together lol.

Not to mention amazing timed exclusives like Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc.

Not to mention bringing indie gaming into the mainstream via the Summer of Arcade events that featured gems like Shadow Complex, Braid, Limbo, Castle Crashers, etc.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I loved my 360. I still do. It was an amazing console from start to finish (except the Kinect focus at the end, that sucked). The One was a disappointment in every regard. Sold it really quick, never looked back. The brand is basically dead to me right now despite adoring the original Xbox and Xbox 360. Would have never imagined that last gen.

Switch, for me, is miles better than Wii and while the PS3 had great exclusives, the hardware (slow, mandatory installs, slow store) didn't "feel" great and I like the PS4 much better (hardware, OS + Software output). Best PS3 exclusives have been ported to PS4 anyway (and look/play better there).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That gen was incredible. One of the best of all time for sure.

I don't know about 'better' (but probably) because that's so subjective but I wouldn't argue with anyone making the case.

The fact that this gen has been absolutely chock full of remasters of 360/PS3 games and people are still crying out for more (hi Mass Effect) speaks volumes.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the nominal amount of GaaS generation? Absolutely.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
A lot of game and IPs I enjoyed was from last gen, also if you were someone heavily into multiplayer games then last gen was for you. I definitely prefer PlayStation's last gen effort than this one just with amount of multiplayer games they developed.

Also Guitar Hero and Rock Band we're still king, 2007 hasn't been topped for me yet.

Yeah for console that was an amazing period. Also I know it's cheating as far as OPs question, but late PS2 was so good that it all kind of blurs together. Like I played Gears of War and Oblivion right alongside Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy XII, and Okami.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wii U and original Xbox One really muddy the waters here for me.

If we ignore that awful expensive kinect bundled underpowered original Xbox One, and we don't count the Wii U as being this gen... then sure. I can see the argument, but folding them back in... I struggle.

Out of the gate, PS4 was fantastic. Great price point. Good gen on gen upgrade. But the Xbox One was weak in a way the 360 or PS3 weren't. Wii U was a console I personally liked... but one that I couldn't fathom a wider audience for.

The Switch is fantastic. The PS4 Pro is a great console, and the Xbox One X is probably my favorite this generation. But that's all the second half of the gen.
Agree. Software wise, I get why ppl like last gen.

The XBO took a step back vs the 360 as far as games.
Wouldn't it be WiiU instead of Wii as the comparison
No, the Wii U would get added to the current gen consoles...

Damn, is it that bad? lol

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
PS360 was the generation where first-person open-world games matured, and was also the generation where the console indie game market matured. And it went on forever.

Make a list of the best games that the current gen provided, and I think you can easily counter-match it with more impactful games from the PS360 generation. The games of 2006 alone would give the best games of the current gen a run for their money.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
Console online gaming really took off in that generation along with birth of great franchises. In this generation we have streaming, gaas, services like game pass ultimate.

Its a toss up for me.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
360 and Wii were both better than both the PS4 and Xbox One. But the PS3 is worse than all of them and the Switch is better than all of them.
So it goes:
Switch > Wii > 360 > PS4 > Xbox One > PS3
Ps3 had more 80+, 90+ exclusives than any platform u listed plus every multiplat including bioshock, dead space, dark souls, mass effect, skyrim, gta....
U could have experienced smooth online with 256 players, 64..... 8 players coop.....something u wont find on this gen.

Trolling or what?

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
The Wii had better Nintendo games than the Switch, imo. Even if Breath of the Wild is way better than Skyward Sword

Oct 28, 2017
For AAA? Absolutely not even a contest. Your forced RPG mechanics, padding, obsession with length and GAAS bullshit can fuck right off. The indie surge and most recently rise of VR is what saves current gen.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of big developers were way more disappointing this generation.

Rockstar? 1 game, compared to GTA 4, 5, Max Payne 3, LA Noire, Table Tennis
Bioware? Dragon Age Inquisition (that's it) compared to Dragon Age 1 and the Mass Effect trilogy
Obsidian? We got Outer Worlds, but Fallout New Vegas was a much larger game last gen.
Bethesda? We got Fallout 4, which was a mix response. Compared to Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim last gen

Indie games shined though. This was the best gen for non published games ever.
End thread!

mind blowing....

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I've had a lot of good games to play with this generation for sure, but I've overall had less fun with games than the last generation.

As someone who didn't like Breath of the Wild or Fire Emblem Three Houses, the Wii has some of Nintendo's best first party titles ever. Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros are the best Mario game. Skyward Sword was the best Zelda, the Fire Emblem games on GameCube and Wii were the best in the series, the Wii also has Pandora's Tower and The Last Story. The Switch is a killer indie machine though.

The PS3 had JRPG galore between the Tales games, Final Fantasy and the slew of BC titles that were available from the PS1 and PS2 era.

I don't think the Xbox 360 or Xbox One has any particularly good games for my personal interest.

Jan 3, 2019
o0GASuj.png

Yes. And this doesn't even count the DS and PSP's gigantic libraries.

Note: that was made a year ago and isn't quite as accurate and I'm too lazy to make it again

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
People don't realize the amount of games that came out of that Gen moreso than this current gen.

We ended up getting a great ass series like Mass Effect which ended up becoming garbage with current gen.

But also we got great ass series during the PS2 era that became garbage last gen and turned around this generation.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of western AAA productions last gen was easily better. This gen every big western publisher jumped on the GaaS Shlooter bandwagon and it was dreadful. Sony First Partys and Bethesda-published titles are one of the very few western AAA games I'm still interested in.

Japanese games are absolutely better this gen.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
You could easily make the argument that the Wii has a better lineup. Considering the first party, third party support, WiiWare and Virtual Console (including Arcade Classics), it has a murder's row of incredible games and niche interests.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, variety was much, much better during the 360/PS3/Wii era. That alone makes that gen much superior.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Last gen was great, this gen was great; I can easily see an argument in favor of either. A few things I miss from that era are the PS3's free online play, multimedia functionality, and backwards compatibility (also applies to the PSP). And the rate at which developers could put out quality games is also something that helped the longevity of those systems, and the diversity of their libraries: Rockstar, for instance, gave us RDR, two mainline GTA games, Max Payne 3, LA Noire, Bully, Manhunt 2, and Midnight Club: LA all from 2006-2013. Bethesda Game Studios in that same span released Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim. If you were a fan of any of those series, it was a great time for games.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The PS3/360/Wii generation had more strong single player experiences and far less bloated open worlds with forced RPG mechanics and loot so for that reason alone, yeah, that generation is far more appealing to me.

Last edited:

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Yes,, I do, Wii/360/PS3/NDS/PSP was much better than current gen. WIi on tis own was better than Switch / Wii U, 360 was much better than One, PS3 and PS4 are close and DS was significantly better than 3DS. I do prefer Vita over PSP because of VNs and Monkey Ball though.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Sony was way more creative last gen, Nintendo still had a lot more new games that weren't ports, Microsoft ushered in online gaming as we know it.

Both are excellent gens but for different reasons, I'd say they're about equal.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I sure as hell do not

the seventh generation of games were dire to me becuase I mostly play japanese games and things were really bad for them last gen

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
If we're talking about AAA games only, and don't count the rereleases and BC to this gen, then I do believe last gen was better.

But that's a very limited restriction. Any other way, this gen is better.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not lumped together like that.

Going by libraries alone, I'd say -

Switch >>>>> Wii
360 >>>>> Xbone
PS4 >= PS3