• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
Jesus. Just finished the game for the first time on heroic. Loved it overall but that ending seemed weird. I thought they would ACTUALLY let me finish the fight as Master goddamn Chief. It's not a big deal since I'm gonna fire up Halo 3 anyway, but imagine playing it back in the day and seeing that ending.

OP
OP
Djost1kk

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
Also: The Flood can go fuck out. They are not as bad as in Halo 1 but stil annoying and even more bullet spongey.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
....This is one of the most infamous cliffhangers in all of gaming, if not the most famous. It's how Halo 3's "Finish the Fight" marketing campaign became a thing.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was an abrupt ending, but I wouldn't say the issue was expecting to finish to fight in that game given how apparent it was there was going to be a third game. If someone had that expectation back then, that's on them, I says.

But the cut to black endings in anticipation of a sequel are never a good idea. You can offer something more conclusive and still allude to a continuation without doing that shit.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was going in expecting a cliffhanger.

When I beat Halo 2 a few years ago, I was floored. Cliffhanger is VERY generous and not the word I'd use. No ending, is more like it

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Holy shit you played 100% spoiler free?

My congratulations and I envy you, I never ''care'' for Halo and I knew this when I played(a couple of months ago).

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It birthed the whole "Finish the Fight" motif that drove the marketing for Halo 3. The marketing folk certainly knew how to play it up.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm still going tthrough for the first time and even I know I'm finishing the fight in halo 3 lol.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
They literally ran out of time. Halo 2 and Halo 5 in particular were victims of a forced, too short, "can't" delay timetable. Infinite as well, it seems, but they finally wised up and realized pushing the date is better than tanking the franchise.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I'm loving this guy more than the Chief. I would love standalone game with my Arby boy. I dunno, he is just likeable and fun to play with the cloak.

A man of culture.

Arbiter's arc added so much more depth to the Covenant and the Halo universe. Turned it into a bit more of a space opera than shooty shooty space marine vibe.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
All I'm gonna say is I hope you dont expect Halo 3 to start where Halo 2 ended lol

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 2's campaign had a controversial reception at launch, but it was the Xbox Live multiplayer that defined the game's legacy.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I'm loving this guy more than the Chief. I would love standalone game with my Arby boy. I dunno, he is just likeable and fun to play with the cloak.

Sentiment has changed a bit over the years. People were mad at the time, but now Thel's a fan favourite.

About the ending; I wasn't mad at the time, I just remember thinking, "oh, that's a bit abrupt." I eventually came to love the ending (on subsequent playthroughs, post-Halo 3, at least). I find it pretty hype-inducing these days:

"Master Chief, you mind telling me what you're doing on that ship?"

"Sir. Finishing this fight."

CUE MUSIC.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Jesus. Just finished the game for the first time on heroic. Loved it overall but that ending seemed weird. I thought they would ACTUALLY let me finish the fight as Master goddamn Chief. It's not a big deal since I'm gonna fire up Halo 3 anyway, but imagine playing it back in the day and seeing that ending.

Yep, now you inderstand our old pains.

Honestly, Halo 2 got great reviews back in the day, but I was really disappointed in the campaign straight from Day 1. I think everyone was bummed out by the cliffhanger ending. Even if I still liked it (and loved the MP). It was actually a downgrade from Halo 1 in a lot of ways, like the scale of fights, and lacked creativity, or much new to play with in the sandbox in my opinion.

Halo 3 on the other hand though. If you loved Halo 2, Halo 3 is probably the best game in the series. I don't want to overhype it, but I just replayed it, and it's still an incredible amount of fun. Playing on PC with Keyboard and Mouse was awesome too. I think you are in for a treat.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Lol yeah I'm playing through MCC with a friend for the first time and I had no idea it ended like that either. I knew a fair bit about Halo but the end of 2 being so awful and one of the worst cliffhangers I've ever seen was quite shocking.

Halo 2 in general was lacking compared to the first game overall.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I turned 18 the day Halo 2 came out...

Edit: I guess day before actually, cause I got it at the midnight launch, which was the wildest midnight launch I had ever been to, before or since. Fucking magical time.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Didn't Bungie say they ran out of time to finish Halo 2 how they wanted because of the release deadline? Wouldn't have helped having that entire level shown at E3 being scrapped because it wouldn't run on retail consoles, that would've out them back a bit I expect.

OP
OP
Djost1kk

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
A man of culture.

Arbiter's arc added so much more depth to the Covenant and the Halo universe. Turned it into a bit more of a space opera than shooty shooty space marine vibe.

I know, right? Now I actually care about the Covenant and want to know more about their lore and all that stuff. Arbiter itself is just great protagonist, even though they didn't give him much of a screen time. I'm hoping for more chemistry between him and Chief. They just have to do that.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
but imagine playing it back in the day and seeing that ending
Imagine indeed..... Halo 2's launch felt like the first HUGE game launch to me. A year and a half spent hyping it up the ass , the infamous "2 GUNS" gameplay reveal at E3 2003 , midnight launches at gamestops across north america.

And then... a week later at most , everyone finishes the game only to notice that the final stage was cut from the game :( This happened the same year that Half Life 2 pulled the same shit. Even though it made the campaign a bit of a let down, Halo 3 became even bigger because of it. Perhaps the cliff hanger would have gone over better if the overall gameplay in Halo 2 was better but... it was weaker in most ways, levels felt more narrow , fewer vehicle portions, having to split playtime between Arbiter and MC. What ultimately saved it was of course that Halo 2 was the XBL showpiece , playing online with voice chat in 8 player matches with some fun maps.

OP, just be thankful that it's now 2020 and you don't have wait 3 years to play the rest of the story.