• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Then what is fun about it to begin with?
Doing combos with abilities and flying around. Once you get into some endgame builds I would assume that it will be pretty crazy stuff.

I've met more than one person who didn't really realize Warframe even had PvP.
Nobody talks about Warframe's PvP for good reason.

Played it one time, never again. I doubt their ever gonna do that PvP revamp they talked about which I can't blame them for, people are playing mainly for the PvE aspect of the game.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody talks about Warframe's PvP for good reason.

Played it one time, never again. I doubt their ever gonna do that PvP revamp they talked about which I can't blame them for, people are playing mainly for the PvE aspect of the game.
The skill gap is so big in warframe pvp with the movement system that game has.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
My interest is has just shot down to zero. I thought the gameplay mechanics would have provided the foundation for some amazing and memorable PvP experiences.

I get that it's focused on being a loot-centric experience, but to not even include a FFA or TDM mode is pretty wild in today's day and age. Bummer.

inb4 bravery

This is actually a selling point for me. I care about the Co Op and single experience.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm the opposite, this type of game really doesn't need PvP and I'm glad their focus is 100% on PvE. PvP in Warframe and Destiny 2 is just so bleh, I mean it's OK but it's definitely a side activity at best.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
That it doesn't have PvP is a selling point for me. It means they can spend more time working on stuff that I'll actually play, and not hide unlocks or progression behind a mode that I hate.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
No PVP? However will I manage not getting "Ur a cun7" messages or my personal favorite " I'll fuk you're mom."

I'd be fine with it being in there if unlike Destiny, there was no loot or rewards tied to doing it. That way I could completely ignore it.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine all the wacky shenanigans we'll be able to get into once we start pumping our loadouts full of weird legendary gear and abilities they all synergize with too well, causing the endgame to be a hilarious cycle of walking forward while punching in the same key combos over and over again to clear out dozens of enemies at a time, Diablo 3 style.

Given the difficulty curve is deliberately drawn from D3, I hope this is what Bioware is aiming for.

Oct 31, 2017
One of the main things that drew me to the game. I don't want resources being wasted on a weak and shallow PvP that won't hold my interest. I'm here for the PvE and that's where the primary focus should be.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Unsure why the comparison is even being made though, MHW and Diablo are not the same kind of games as Anthem at all...
It's more like Diablo than you think. This isn't like Destiny where the main difference between classes is a different grenade, super, and a couple of abilities you get to use occasionally. The classes are more differentiated like Diablo classes. Not QUITE as different as Diablo but somewhere in between that and Destiny. The focus is more on abilities in Anthem that have shorter cooldowns rather than guns and a lot of the nuance of the gameplay is around comboing with different abilities between different classes. Then because they don't have to worry about PvP balance, endgame gear can roll with insane perks which is something Diablo 3 is known for in that it's not afraid to let you become OP. It is a combination of those factors that led Blizzard to scrap Diablo 3's PvP.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is a location named "Antium" in the game apparently, so there's hope.

Stay with me. I am full of shit and spitballing this.

Antium is only a couple letters diff from "Anthem." Would they overlook this as a coincedence? Nah.

Antium might have been abbreviated to "An" during development. I've seen weirder things happen. That or, for whatever reason, they made the name of this location so similar because it will have more significance, perhaps via a diff mode.

And here's the swan song (for me, not for Bioware, because this theory sucks.) --

An vs Them = Anthem. Pencil it in, dorks, because this game's first big update is going to be PvP, and it will be held in Antium.

This is absolutely a horrible theory, but in the extremely unlikely chance it has any merit, please find me and punch me. Being right on this is actually not a net positive for me, and I am a masochist.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would have been a pain in the ass to balance and I want them free to make the weapons as over the top badass and fun as possible for the PvE.

PvP doesn't have to be in everything.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame, no doubt.
Seriously, sad these people seem to be almost scared of PVP? Maybe harsh. Something like the Runescape Wildy would be sweet though

Maybe scared is the wrong word. But there are definitely ways to incorporate PVP and PVE. Destiny style arenas aren't the only way. I personally like completely open world PVP servers where PVE and PVP are mixed together. Think of Red Dead before they started to patch everything and make it lame.

Last edited:

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Yeah, I didn't know this was such a thing. Basically every "fun" MMO has had a thriving PVP community. It's kind of the cornerstone of the genre imo

And every single one of those games has the PvE and PvP playerbases CONSTANTLY bitching at the other for resulting in changes that negatively affect the other side. WoW. Destiny. Division. you name it. Every time a change is made for PvE or PvP balance, the other side of the coin bitches.

It is nice for a co-op, looter RPG to be entirely, 100% balanced around PvE without the baggage of PvP. I'm not sure why some of y'all are finding this so difficult to understand. If you want PvP so bad go play all those other 'fun MMOs' you were talking about and let the Anthem crowd have their moment.

Seriously, sad these people seem to be almost scared of PVP? Maybe harsh. Something like the Runescape Wildy would be sweet though

Jesus fucking christ. Do you really think people are scared of PvP? I've done my fair bit of crucible in Destiny 2 and just finished grinding out the pinnacle weapons in competitive. I'm hardly scared of it. I also recognize that it causes some shitty nerfs to the PvE side in the name of balance. That sucks and there is nothing wrong with wanting a game that doesn't suffer that fate.

Now quit making dishonest arguments.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking christ. Do you really think people are scared of PvP? I've done my fair bit of crucible in Destiny 2 and just finished grinding out the pinnacle weapons in competitive. I'm hardly scared of it. I also recognize that it causes some shitty nerfs to the PvE side in the name of balance. That sucks and there is nothing wrong with wanting a game that doesn't suffer that fate.

Now quit making dishonest arguments.
Comparing a wilderness style PVP area to the Destiny Crucible sounds pretty dishonest to me...

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Good, I'm not a fan of how Destiny PvP is incorporated into quests and events. PvE is so much more relaxing.

Oct 25, 2017
After playing the alpha and the vip beta, I'm not sure there's any real room for PvP anyway, and I mean that quite literally. The game is about flying everywhere all the time, and Freeplay as it is currently implemented is not designed around invasions or opportunities for friendly fire. It's Gameplay sandbox is too big in scope for this sort of thing - official deathmatch or objective fight-spaces would have to be designed very carefully to take advantage of the players capabilities. An update to freeplay to support a (griefing) "zone" would be selling that PvP potential short, massively.

I wouldn't write off a PvP expansion ever happening - warframe did get one before its own gameplay scope greatly expanded - but perhaps it should be a spin off title or saved for the sequel instead.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2099

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way I'd do it for games that are majorly about co oping is that I would make it unlocked for that player once they complete the game. If they want to PvP someone else, they have to help the community/their friend(s) out and play with them until they can unlock PvP feature the same way... or if they're not the helpful kind, they can wait for everyone else to be up to their pace in the game. That way, you all have something to do with your endgame gear. This idea can also be used for games like Monster Hunter.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No PvP is for the best, more resources for PvE plus no crying about overpowered things and ruining them for everyone.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe scared is the wrong word. But there are definitely ways to incorporate PVP and PVE. Destiny style arenas aren't the only way. I personally like completely open world PVP servers where PVE and PVP are mixed together. Think of Red Dead before they started to patch everything and make it lame.
Destiny showed what happens when they need to balance pvp and pve. Which results in so much balancing of weapons that many lose their fun factor in pve cause they had to be balanced in pvp.

Jan 16, 2019
All i'm going to say is that from longevity of this game might depend on PVP and I would not take ResetEra's word for this as multiplayer games with PVP tend to get slanted on this forum. Remember BO4 was going to do very badly because of no single player and look how that turned out

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I don't understand people saying PvP doesn't affect PvE in online games, I mean, since when has that ever been true...? Especially in a loot based games/games with builds.

Is there an example of an online game where this is actually true? Destiny, Division, etc, the PvP side always screws around with PvE side, it's really annoying.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny has had some of the worst PvP I've had the displeasure of participating in, and most loot games suck in that aspect. The only PvP in a loot game I've ever liked was perhaps Division's Survival mode, but that was because it wasn't trying to balance PvE and PvP together and was its own cordoned off thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Destiny has had some of the worst PvP I've had the displeasure of participating in, and most loot games suck in that aspect. The only PvP in a loot game I've ever liked was perhaps Division's Survival mode, but that was because it wasn't trying to balance PvE and PvP together and was its own cordoned off thing.

Yup. If PvP is separated entirely from PvE with their own progress, equipment, then I don't really mind. But is there actually a game that does this? AFAIK there's none. And thus, the need for PvP balancing always seem to screw around with the PvE side.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm sure people have mentioned the borderline mutiny over Mass Effect 3 possibly having multiplayer when that was first rumored, and it turned out to be one of the best parts of the game. It's funny how now there can somehow be this push-back about a BioWare game not having some PvP multiplayer mode. I love BioWare, and I have no interest in Anthem, bu this kind of criticism seems pretty absurd.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
I have so many options for PvP in my gaming life. Why do I need a PvE focused game to shoehorn a pvp mode into the game. In fact, doesn't EA have a lot of pvp multiplayer games in the market. Why would they want their next game to possibly pull people away from their other IPs.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
I can understand both camps desire for game modes that fit their preferences, but I'm happy this title is focused on PvE.

OP
OP
Metanoia Prime
Oct 26, 2017
California
I'm seeing a lot of responses along the lines of, "Good. It leaves more resources for PvE."

But haven't the main critiques been that the gameplay is not smooth (technical concerns) and that the AI so far seems braindead (game logic / programming concerns)?

I have so many options for PvP in my gaming life. Why do I need a PvE focused game to shoehorn a pvp mode into the game. In fact, doesn't EA have a lot of pvp multiplayer games in the market. Why would they want their next game to possibly pull people away from their other IPs.
I don't see how they lose by offering more options for players to engage their games.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I'd like to take a moment to really absorb the fact that someone in this thread was absurd enough to suggest Monster Hunter should have PVP.

One thing I inherently don't believe is developers who are forced to sell PVP in their games by claiming they have magic ways to balance PVE and PVP (and I'm not just singling out The Division). It just doesn't work, because PVP and PVE + co-op PVE are fundamentally different. And nobody can afford to invest in two equally robust PVP and PVE games - there always seems to be one of three results:

1. The PVP ends up mediocre
2. The PVE is mediocre
3. Everything is mediocre and no one is happy.

I don't see how they lose by offering more options for players to engage their games.

Why should a player expect to "engage" with a game they bought in ways the game is not designed for? Why would they not instead buy a game designed for what they want?

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of responses along the lines of, "Good. It leaves more resources for PvE."

But haven't the main critiques been that the gameplay is not smooth (technical concerns) and that the AI so far seems braindead (game logic / programming concerns)?

Technical concerns aren't solved by adding PvP. Your concerns over the AI would highlight a reason for them to devote more resources for PvE, not less.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Yup. If PvP is separated entirely from PvE with their own progress, equipment, then I don't really mind. But is there actually a game that does this? AFAIK there's none. And thus, the need for PvP balancing always seem to screw around with the PvE side.
FFXIV does this, but they have a dedicated PVP development team. Then again I am sure you weren't speaking about a MMO. :P

xania

Oct 27, 2017
FFXIV does this, but they have a dedicated PVP development team. Then again I am sure you weren't speaking about a MMO. :P
Even then it's not completely separate. Gear isn't, and there are PvP only rewards.

Personally I think traditional fighting PvP in Anthem would be garbage. But other types of PvP like racing? I'm listening...

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
My point in pointing it out is that this "more resources" argument is falling flat on its face, judging by the current state of the game.

I would dispute both issues based on gameplay and previews from those who have played a later build, but if you think that the current game with its resources will be unable to deliver on launch, dividing those resources into multiply areas doesn't increase the quality of those areas that are struggling nor does it mean that any created areas, such as PvP, will be of a higher quality.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I can't remember the last loot shooter with good PvP. Destiny's PvP was decent at best, but it had plenty of issues. Borderlands' PvP was almost insulting for how limited and minimal it was. The Division's DZ is a great concept that inevitably clashed with the fact the vast majority of players are dicks. I don't mind the PvP's absence in the slightest, let them concentrate on delivering good SP/co-op content.