• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Maybe it's because I live in a country with tropical (not really) weather. But for me the purpose of a fridge has always been to keep food on a cool temperature. In other words, the temprature outside the fridge has always been hotter than the one inside.

But what if it was the other way around? If you're living in a place with very cold weather, mainly less than 0 degree, you'd be using a fridge, and a freezer, to keep food warm rather than cold.

That's quite awesome. Now, I suppose the purpose of such domestic utensil comes from a steady temperature as much as from a cold or hot one, but still... I never thought about it this way.

Have you ever thought about it this way?

latest

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think air conditioners help keep a room warm if it is colder outside than the temperature at which you set the AC?

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
If you live in the desert do you use your heater to cool down your home? I've always been curious.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
How high are you right now?

760m

Do you think air conditioners help keep a room warm if it is colder outside than the temperature at which you set the AC?

Holy shit. Is that even possible?

If you live in the desert do you use your heater to cool down your home? I've always been curious.

I don't know enough about how heaters work to argue that.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Did you just type fridge on google for that picture? I have a feeling you don't quite know what that a picture of Control's fridge implies.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
what?

If you're living in sub-zero place, your ass stay indoor most of the time and the indoor temperature is warmed by a heater. There will be some parts of your house that the heat from the heater cannot reach so it is freezing cold. You keep your meat and other grocery there.

Oct 26, 2017
I remember Simone Giertz of shitty robots fame talking about her time living on a house boat in Sweden. In the winter it would be so cold the fridge was actually warmer than her house.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Would a refrigerator stop working if the outside temperature is colder than the one it's meant to produce inside?
I'm pretty sure would perform as it designed. Once the temperature is below the set temperature it doesn't do anything during normal operation. They're pretty well insulated but if it was cold enough outside the temperature in the fridge would slowly go down to the outside temp. So the normal portion would turn into a freezer.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I'm pretty sure would perform as it designed. Once the temperature is below the set temperature it doesn't do anything during normal operation. They're pretty well insulated but if it was cold enough outside the temperature in the fridge would slowly go down to the outside temp. So the normal portion would turn into a freezer.

But the point is, it would be trying to keep the food warm... ?

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
Would a refrigerator stop working if the outside temperature is colder than the one it's meant to produce inside?
Refrigerators do one thing: They pump heat from the inside to the outside. Because it's warmer inside than outside, it'll probably pump the heat out even more efficiently. The fridge isn't completely isolated, so the heat will continue to escape until it reaches equilibrium with the outside (Antarctica). The food will cool over time since heat inside leaves for the outside.

That is, you can keep the food warmer if you unplug the fridge/leave it off because less heat loss.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Refrigerators do one thing: They pump heat from the inside to the outside. Because it's warmer inside than outside, it'll probably pump the heat out even more efficiently. The fridge isn't completely isolated, so the heat will continue to escape until it reaches equilibrium with the outside (Antarctica). The food will cool over time since heat inside leaves for the outside.

That is, you can keep the food warmer if you leave the fridge off because less heat loss.

So a fridge would be more effective it turned off? Assuming, of course, it's original state in one in which the inside temperature is the one it was designed to achieve.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We had an outdoor coldroom at a brewery I worked at. It would get very cold at night in the winter and the coldroom helped insulate the beer and kept it from freezing.

So yes sort of?

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I did say it would turn into freezer ... so no. There is no heat pump. But who leaves their fridge outside.

But without a source of heat, the temperature inside and outside would be the same, no?

Yea. It's basically a huge thermos. Unless you can reverse the heat pump and pump heat from outside to inside. I don't think fridges can work that way though, but I might be wrong.

Interesting.

Did you forget how room temperature works?

Yes. Feel free to explain.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A fridge shipped to Antarctica would keep its contents from freezing only by the virtue of its thick, insulated walls. Over the days and weeks thought the temperature inside the fridge would eventually match the temperature outside, and all its contents would freeze. The machinery inside only acts to cool.....so you would probably be better off leaving it unplugged since it would only act to speed the freezing of the food inside.

A fridge cannot heat its contents or work to counteract plunging temperatures outside its walls.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I see the wait for RE8 is getting to you as well

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Assuming you're not just high off your gourd, here's a video explaining refrigeration. A refrigerator put into a colder area wouldn't turn on because of the thermostat, and eventually the fridge would get colder inside as the limited amount of heat inside the box escaped into the environment.

youtu.be

Chest Freezers; What they tell us about designing for X

This video is super cool. We're talking about refrigeration, and how the design of a refrigerator affects its energy consumption. Freezers are the perfect pl...

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
LOL
Fine
If you're living there, you're going to be in a 🏠 or whatever. It's going to be 70°F or whatever you're usually comfortable with. Nothing changes about the fridge.

Did I really need to explain that? Or am I missing something?

You're assuming the house would have means to keep itself warm. In the OP I'm assuming the inside of the house would be just as cold as the ouside.

So you would be wearing an industrial grade parka indoors at all times and have no liquid water at your disposal?

People have been living in sub-freezing temperatures before those things were invented. Probably not liquid water though, I think that was invented a long time ago.

I see the wait for RE8 is getting to you as well

More like the disappointment with REmake 3...

Goddamn you Capcom. They are not back.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You're assuming the house would have means to keep itself warm. In the OP I'm assuming the inside of the house would be just as cold as the ouside.
Then just say it's a fridge that's outside in Antarctica. No need to complicate matters here. In that case, everything is just going to freeze at an almost negligibly slower rate. Might as well just throw the food on the ground.

I don't get this thread at all, man lol